Forum Jump: 

#91 of 110 Old 01-24-2006, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jane-t-mommy
Thanks for an inspiring thread!

Also, we are not vegans, but I routinely use a product called Egg Replacer that costs about 5.50 for a box that is the equivilant of 113 eggs. I use this in most of my baking and never notice a difference. Since we eat free range eggs, this saves me money using them all up in muffins etc. Cost is about 5 cents an egg replacer egg vs. 25 cents for a real egg (free range, organic)
Glad we can help! You're helping me too, can you tell more about this product? Never heard of it...

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#92 of 110 Old 01-24-2006, 06:02 PM

I thought I would add that when onions are are on sale I make french onion soup. Some bread (hopefully homemade soon, I'll be trying my breadmaker for the first time this week) and it's a yummy imexpensive meal!

Kerry, loving wife to Pete, mama to DD (14) DS1 (9) DS2 (3) & Expecting someone new Jan 2013

#93 of 110 Old 01-24-2006, 09:33 PM

The egg replacer is a great idea. Thanks for the reminder about this product. I have been using powdered milk in my baked things lately, saves a lot of milk. So now I can just use egg replacer and powdered milk.
Hey, I bet with the powdered milk and the egg replacer I could make "instant" muffin mix all myself, just add oil and water. Hmmm. Good idea for a handy quick snack.

H

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

#94 of 110 Old 01-24-2006, 09:39 PM

Can you tell me more about popping the popcorn in a paperbag??

You made my night.
#95 of 110 Old 01-25-2006, 11:41 AM

Uhm, trying to function on very little sleep, but to the best of my foggy memory, Egg Replacer is made by a company called Ener-G. OKay, coffee just kicked in and according to the box their web site is: www.ener-g.com. I usually buy it at a health food store, but maybe they sell it on-line?

For the pop corn, just use a regular lunch size brown bag and put some corn in the bottom (I'm not a strict measurer...but about a handful, maybe 1/4-1/3 of a cup??) Then fold the top over in about 1" segments a few times. You could probably put a piece of tape (is that microwavable???) for added security, but we just fold it well and place the same way you would the commercial products and microwave about 2-4 minutes (basically follow commercial instructions) When the popping slows (or you smell burning corn ), ding, it is ready. Then I season it in a bowl and voila, cheap easy corn...

Thanks for the idea to make instant muffin mix using dry milk (soy for us) and egg replacer. That could definitely help these sleepy mornings!!!
#96 of 110 Old 01-25-2006, 11:54 AM

Thanks for the instructions! Now to convince dd that paperbags are as cool as store bought. Maybe if we decorate the bags....hmmmm....that might start a new trend.
#97 of 110 Old 01-25-2006, 12:11 PM

Thanks for the instructions on the popcorn. I have been wondering if it was possible to do it yourself.

H

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

#98 of 110 Old 01-25-2006, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

The egg replacer is sold right by my house at the local health store we frequent. I am going to try it. I am always in need of an egg for scratch baking so this works well for me. Thanks!

What have I learned so far:
So, last year I did the pantry challenge a few times and I learned that our pantry was way too stocked. Some things would get covered and then expire etc. During the challenge we could actually live out of the pantry for several days and just buy produce and dairy etc. So now, with cutting groceries etc over the last year and now, our pantry is lean but very useful.
We also feed our freezer and use what is in it instead of "saving" it. We have never been big snackers- we make cookies, chocolates etc if we want them. Also dd usually likes to snack on popcorn, fruit etc so that also helps. We also buy a huge bag on sale and cook it right on the stove.If anything we buy more fresh things. So in that dept, we try to shop lose leaders and buy the stuff on sale for a well rounded amount of food.
I also learned we can get away with cutting our bill that extra amount. With using the cc, we were buying more. With cash we buy what we need and check out the prices. This has been a learning experience!!

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#99 of 110 Old 01-29-2006, 09:33 PM

I bought 25 lbs of flour on the 14th of Jan. and I am 1/2 thru it! LOL Making my own bread, cookies , muffins etc. can use up alot of flour! But I think over all it is cheaper. I mean to buy that much bread, pancakes, muffins ect, it would cost way more. But still I thought I wouldn't have to buy flour more than once every two months.

H

#100 of 110 Old 01-29-2006, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter

We go thru a 5lb bag of King Arthur flour pretty quick here. One reason is we make pizza dough most friday nights which requires about 4 c of flour. Also I make a bannana bread at least once a week. DD loves bannanas so we have a lot on hand. Sometimes a few get left in the car, smashed whatnot so they end up in the bread which I can serve at a playdate etc.

Do they carry a 25lb bag? I wonder

#101 of 110 Old 01-29-2006, 09:53 PM

I am not sure about King Arthur brand, but I got 25 lb bag at Costco. They also had 50lb bags. I thought 50lbs... that seems like too much... now I know. LOL

H

#102 of 110 Old 01-31-2006, 06:39 PM

Thanks for a great thread!

We already do a lot of what has been suggested here. we typically spend about $65 a week on groceries (family of 3, 1 cat, 2 big dogs and a handful of fish).

Some things we do:

Buy almost everything in bulk. We have a standalone freezer and freeze most things.
We only buy meat and milk when it is on a good sale. It all gets frozen.
We buy onions, celery, bell peppers and the like when they're on sale and chop them up and freeze them. Since we seldom eat these items raw, it doesn't matter if the texture is a bit mushy when they're thawed, since they're going to be cooked anyway.

Right now my biggest problem is the (unhealthy) cookies DD has grown accustomed to. My attempts to move her to more healthy home-made fare has not been successful. Maybe I need to try some new recipes.
#103 of 110 Old 01-31-2006, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Samatha- have you tried oatmeal cookies? Or oatmeal with choco chips?

I bought some of that egg substitute this week. MY question to pp is - when do you add it to your recipes? When it says when to add eggs or another time?

#104 of 110 Old 02-01-2006, 12:25 AM

Today I splurged on some things at Costco , including some really yummy granola. Well, now I'm going to have to try to replicate that! It has a ton of nuts in it and cranberries. So good!

Bridget. Momma to DD (4), expecting DS - 9/09, wife to SAHD. Gardener, coffee addict, urban dweller.
#105 of 110 Old 02-01-2006, 11:04 PM

Subbing.

And NAKing (biggest money saver of all, ).

We are going mostly veggie due to the cost of kosher meat and our general yick factor lately. Once a week only, on Shabbat, if even then (and only chicken). Although I do make my own chicken stock for the freezer. The butcher here sells packages of just bones dirt cheap.

REALLY need to cut back on juice and snacks. DH is a huge juice fan and has passed this down to his children. :

How do you make your own yogurt? DH and dd2 love yogurt. I love cottage cheese. can you make your own cottage cheese? With some wheat germ on it I love it for breakfast or a snack.

Also have to work on dd1 and dd2's pickiness factors. . They were such great eaters as little ones and now all they want is noodles and cheese. Only thing that seems to help is if they are involved in the cooking process. Working on that.

thanks mamas for a great thread! Trying to get us under $450/month if not less.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#106 of 110 Old 02-02-2006, 01:04 AM

Well this is the third week in a row I have been trying to cut down on my food budget. So far I can't get down to the $50.00 a week I was hoping, BUT I am down to $82.00 a week, for a total of $390.00 a month (down from $800.00 a month). No juice (except the OJ for me) no cereal, no crackers (only a bag of corn chips once every two weeks), no packaged foods (like quick rices, or instant potatoes that sort of thing). I can't believe how much I have been saving.
The only down side is I am baking almost every day. Either bread or muffins, granola bars, cookies, blaa, blaa. I love baking, but I think this might be a problem in the summer (gets so hot here).
Anyway I am proud of myself.
I think I will do the cash thing next week, and see how it goes.

H

#107 of 110 Old 02-02-2006, 02:23 AM

I am so inspired, thanks everyone for your great ideas!
Now to try to convince dh that he doesn't need to eat meat at every meal . . . . .

Obstruct livery vehicles!

#108 of 110 Old 02-02-2006, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amys1st
oops thans for telling me- I changed that to STOVE!!
is it bad to pop kernals in the microwave ? we have a microwave popper, no oil needed

perhaps the "owning a microwave " part is bad which i totally understand
i just can't live w/o one for now

also,
how many people in a family are we talking about here? i would think the $ amount would depend on the family size

this is great info ! thanks for the thread
#109 of 110 Old 02-02-2006, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by My3Kids'Mama
How do you make your own yogurt? DH and dd2 love yogurt. I love cottage cheese. can you make your own cottage cheese? With some wheat germ on it I love it for breakfast or a snack.
thanks mamas for a great thread! Trying to get us under $450/month if not less.
Glad this is working, it is for me as well.

We have a yogurt maker. You need a starter, whole milk and a few other things (dh was in charge of this). He would get it ready at night before going to bed and then we would have it ready in the am. We have not doneit lately. Maybe thats something we should try again....

We also had to ease into the cash thing but well worth it. I only buy whats necessary becuase of the amount of cash I have on me. DH was saying last night- on the credit card bill we have to pay for last months groceries which are already gone. As you can see, wasnt hard to convince him to do this!

I have heard mama after mama IRL complain about their grocery bill and how its just sooo much money. But, I think now that I have done this, its more than just buying groceries but also a lifestyle change.

We plan meals around sales and what is already on hand, we feed the freezer for take out, we do not buy really any more papaer products other than occasional paper towels (a roll which lasts for days in our kitchen) and of course tp. This cuts down tremoundous cash going out. We buy little to no convenience food- this is I think the main culprit of the expensive grocery visit.

#110 of 110 Old 02-02-2006, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaGjr
is it bad to pop kernals in the microwave ? we have a microwave popper, no oil needed

perhaps the "owning a microwave " part is bad which i totally understand
i just can't live w/o one for now

also,
how many people in a family are we talking about here? i would think the $ amount would depend on the family size

this is great info ! thanks for the thread
we use the stove only because the pot was there and not being used. Also our stove popcorn popper is used for coffee bean roasting. I do not know of any reason why you cannot use the microwave, this just happened to be the way it fell into place in our house.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page