Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
:
#2 of 10 Old 01-11-2006, 09:13 PM

I just core them, usually peel them (but not always) chunk them and cook to smooth. I have no idea how many apples it takes, but I found it not worth making for keeping (eating straight away was fine).
#3 of 10 Old 01-11-2006, 09:59 PM

At least in these parts, it isn't apple harvest time. So, the apples around here have been in cold storage.

But, in September, I buy apples fresh off the tree. I think that I pay $20 a bushel and I usually buy 2 bushels. I think that I get 65 pints(or the equivalent) of applesauce.
#4 of 10 Old 01-11-2006, 10:12 PM

I have found that unless you have mega-large amounts of apples, making applesauce that you are going to store for later isn't worth the work involved.

One pound of apples would yield a microserving of applesauce.

Namaste!
#5 of 10 Old 01-11-2006, 11:14 PM

A pound of apples is pretty pidly. You'd get a few servings, maybe...

I find it only worth the effort when I get my apples free or dirt cheap (which is every year ) Around apple harvest time, it's just too easy to find organic apples. *Someone* you know or their neighbor/friend/second-cousin-twice-removed has an apple tree with the fruit just rotting that they've done nothing to (no pesticides, etc) and will beg you to come pick them, so they don't have to pick up rotted fruit from the ground.

At $1.98/lb, it's def. cheaper to just by the applesauce! I'll only buy for canning when I can find local organic apples for around 50 cents/lb.

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#6 of 10 Old 01-11-2006, 11:52 PM

We get apples of our 2 trees and some from a neighbor. We do about 4 boxes.

We cut into big chunks put into a large pan with a little water. We run through a folly food mill which takes out seeds and peels.

We adore homemade apple sauce. That stuff from a store is
#7 of 10 Old 01-12-2006, 12:16 AM

Based on non-sale prices, I find store organic applesauce to be less expensive than applesauce made at home from organic apples. We only make applesauce when the apples are cheap (this past week Fujis were 79 cents a pound!).

There is, of course, no comparison when it comes to taste. Homemade is to-die-for!

Oh yeah, I peel/slice/core using a contraption, then boil with water until soft. I mash until smooth (by hand or with a hand blender), adding a little sugar and lemon juice.
#8 of 10 Old 01-12-2006, 02:44 AM

I used to use a Foley food mill. But now I use a Vittorio (sp?). It is great. I use my Pampered Chef apple wedger to get rid of the core. Then I boil them until they are soft and run them through the Vittorio. It spits the peels and whatnot out the end and leaves you with very smooth pulp.
#9 of 10 Old 01-31-2006, 04:30 AM

We always got apples from people with appletrees- my mom would walk up to perfect strangers and ask to pick their apples, and most of the time they said yes. Around here we have apple magots, so I don't always like to use home grown apples. I might buy them at the peak of their season, if I can find a decent price, but it would have to be well under a dollar a pound.
When we cooked the apples, we just put the skin and everything in and then used a food mill to take out the hard parts.
#10 of 10 Old 01-31-2006, 12:56 PM

I made applesauce when I made my children's baby food. It was simple. I would leave the peel on while I cooked the apples because that is where most of the nutrients are. And I would cook them in plain water, but not too much water -- just enough to cover the apples in the pot.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page