Need to immediately and DRASTICALLY cut our food bills - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#91 of 105 Old 01-23-2006, 05:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
chicky, you have wolves in TX??!! I had no idea!

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#92 of 105 Old 01-23-2006, 08:06 PM

After doing much more research, I am thinking it's some sort of wolf/dog cross, and possibly got loose, or someone dumped it. It was def. not a coyote (see them all the time, lol). It looks like a cross between a Mexican wolf and a German Shephard, but mostly wolf-ish...Still neat to watch animals of any kind doing their hunting!

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

#93 of 105 Old 01-23-2006, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by root*children
Hey shel! Sorry to have to geek out for a moment here You're thinking of evaporation. That's when liquid turns to gas. That is how clothes normally dry. Sublimation is when a solid turns straight to a gas and skips the liquid stage (such as dry ice). Drying clothes in temperatures where it freezes at night (and many days) is tricky because they don't warm up enough for total evaporation, so they are still wet when the freeze sets in at night... clothes freeze, thaw mid-morning, dry a little more before freeze sets in, etc. It takes several days for clothes to dry. Probably in AZ it is quite a bit warmer in the day so clothes have a chance to dry before freeze sets in.
That's right!! DOH! From solid to gas, so water would freeze, then dry. According to what I learned. In AZ, where I live, it very, very rarely freezes, so I'd never have a chance to try, but as I said, I learned about this in IL, where it freezes LOTS.

I'm not thinking of evaporation, as you said, this is the way clothes would normally, I'm thinking of sublimation and misspoke- thanks for the correction. I read and reread and still missed it.

So, I believed my science teacher that this would work, but never tried it out. The thing with drying clothes this way, is you wouldn't want them to thaw, just stay frozen until dry. (I'm never planning on moving back to the cold, so probably will NEVER have the chance to try this out.)

Anyway, if you've tried it and it didn't work, you'd know better than me.

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
#94 of 105 Old 01-23-2006, 11:16 PM

Amy,
I am a country girl and as much as I hate to see little animals killed I would eat them and hunt for them myself if I had to. You mention you have rabbits. Can you get hubby to snare and "prepare" them so they're just meat when you get them? Also, rabbit fur makes for warm mitts.

When our dryer was broken we just hung up clothes on hangers in the bathroom. Not touching of course.

Are there any other farms around that have beef cows/chickens/pigs? I would try to barter housekeeping or something else in exchange for meat.

I'll keep thinking too!
#95 of 105 Old 01-23-2006, 11:40 PM

LOL, y'all skweemish (is that really a word or did I just misspell?) folk would just love this GOURMET cookbook I have that has recipes for racoon, opossum, squirrel, rabbit, javelina, etc....LOL!

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

#96 of 105 Old 01-24-2006, 01:12 AM - Thread Starter

Well DH has officially said he will not prepare any animals, but he'll check and see if anyone in his family knows how or knows someone that would. There are tons of cute, fluffy, little bunnies hopping around here that would love to be in a stew. Is there a way to make rabbit less gamey though? I was thinking a stew in a crock pot might be nice.
#97 of 105 Old 01-24-2006, 01:12 PM

For less gamey rabbit....soak over night in a brine (1/2 cup salt, 1/2 cup sugar, to 1/2 gallon water). Then rinse well inside and out, and cook as usual. Just cook it like you would a chicken. We are soon to start our meat rabbits and they will not taste gamey at all. Raising meat rabbits is something else that you could look into, but only if you can get them butchered! A domestic rabbit packs more protein than a chicken breast! They are easier on the tummy (great broth for stomach troubles!), and are just healthier in general than meat you buy at the store. Cook wild ones nice a slow--yes a slow cooker would be great!

If there are any signs of tapeworm(all game can get them, and it's really no big deal as long as meat is treated correctly) when the rabbit is butchered, just remove the worms and rinse meat well. Freeze for 20 days before eating, and that will take care of it just fine. (I promise!)

#98 of 105 Old 01-24-2006, 01:16 PM

Btw, I have tons of rabbit recipes if you need any.

And I can't help it...I am just one of those ppl...I'm worried about your kidneys, even though your tests all came back fine. Do you know anything of herbals? Dandelion is a great tonic herb for the kidneys. Very easy to take (capsule form) or you can even dig the roots up in your yard, as long as they haven't been sprayed, and make a decoction or syrup to take. Just a very good idea to take dandelion when ingesting so much protein.

#99 of 105 Old 01-25-2006, 10:28 AM

Maybe post 11 in this thread would be helpful to you. It was news to me, but definitely an interesting possibility to look into.
#100 of 105 Old 01-27-2006, 04:11 PM

Not m,uch real advice other than what everyoen else gave. I would definatly try WIC. If you are gettng food stamps than there is no reason you wouldnt' qualify. An they give cheese (which i asume you can eat as i didn't see it listed) and eggs. And tehy also give out vouchers (in our area anyway) in teh summer for fresh produce form farmers markets. Also they will give nursing mothers dried beans, and tuna. And infants can get cereal (iron fortified) formula, juice and as they get older cold cereals, milk, cheese, peanut butter, eggs, etc. My kids have never had any sort of blood work a twic, nor had i . We jsut submti the records form teh Dr's whne we recieved wic. ALSO they will not give you the breastfeeding benefits if you are recieveing formula.. (at least we were told so). And if i am correct you cant' use your food stamp money to by paper products can you? so cutin back on those in your regular budget could free up some money there to buy food. And quite franlky if there was not enough food in my home to feed my family i would do whatever possible to get some. Wether it be to go off my diet, have dh go off his diet get a job, stretch my patience a bit to take care of soemoen elses child. learn to eat things i didn't liek etc. I understand that you sadi the diet is making your health better and are off meds. I'm making an assumption here, and correct me if I'm wrong.. If you are recieving Food stamps then you qualify for health ins, right? so they will cover your med if they are prescribed and you cannot afford them . IMO it woudl be better to be back on teh meds for a while and get you finances inorder than to be off them and be starving (wel nto starvign casue you're livign on steak) but struggling to meet a family's needs. Also I believe you mentioned tha tyour DD went ot teh Y for preschool? is that rigth (or am i confusing posts?) could that expense be cut? since you later mentioned that you wanted to homeschooL. I'm sure it wil be tough but our monthly food allowance is not much higher than what you are getting from foodstamps.. we spend abotu $250 every six weeks. Which is actually only about $42 a week. We eat meat. a fair amount of it actually. But we get buy and since we don't qualify fo rassistance we have to scimp that amount from our checks. Goos luck to you. I woudl seriouly tal kto your Dr though adn see if you could modify the diet a bit or go back on teh meds to get on your feet
#101 of 105 Old 01-27-2006, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

I don't have a lot of time, so I'll just respond to the basic points.

DD is not in preschool, one is 7mths, one is 9yrs. DD is homeschooled now because of problems with her school here. (which so far is a nightmare, but that's for a different thread)

Going off the diet is not an option for me. Meds have horrible side effects. Including, if I stop eating this way I gain about 15lbs a MONTH! How can being unhealthy be better for my family???

No, we do not qualify any longer for medical insurance. We did until DH got a job. Even though his current job doesn't offer ANY benefits.

I understand that everyone has different priorities. But IMO to suggest going off a diet that has made someone much healthier is ridiculous.
#102 of 105 Old 01-27-2006, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, I got a couple chilcken books from the library the other day... it looks a lot more complicated and expensive than I was thinking. But I'm not giving up the idea yet.

I think I will need some good rabbit recipes. Especially if there are any that mask the taste of rabbit. DD would have a fit if she knew she was eating bunny... she's exceptionally sensitive.
#103 of 105 Old 01-27-2006, 05:49 PM

Absolutely any recipe that calls for chicken can be used for rabbit. You may just have to cook it a little more slowly if it's wild rabbit. Oh, and I prefer to cook it w/lots of liquid, since it's not very fatty. That will keep it from drying out.

Really, the chickens are not that complicated or involved at all. The books will make it seem like it, though. As long as you have a secure coop (just big enough for them to fit nicely on a roost (which can be made from a tree branch or sapling, and put it about 18" from the ground for small breeds and 2' for large breeds), and have room to jump down in the morning. Make sure there is a good latch, and plenty of ventilation (which can be coverd w/a tarp or plastic, or whatever in bad weather) so amonia smells don't build up and make them sick. You can use shredded newspaper to absorb waste, if you can't afford hay or pine shavings. Just change it out often so they don't get sick. If you keep them well ventilated, fed, watered, and sheltered from the rain/wind, and keep the coop clean, you will have an easy time of raising them. Feed the laying hens a laying mash ration (crumbles are best, rather than pellets, imo), and if you have any roosters, all they need is whatever you are feeding the hens. In the winter, give them half laying ration, and half scratch grains to help them stay warmer (carbs). Other than that, feed your veggie scraps (after you use them for making stock!), leftover beans, whatever--just no raw potato skins or meats), and they will be happy! And you can install (for way cheap!) a regular floodlight to increase their winter laying (stimultes them like daylight would), and/or put in a heat lamp for cold nights (if they spend their energy keeping warm, they will not always have enough for laying eggs).

#104 of 105 Old 01-27-2006, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

See Chicky2, you make it sound so simple and worth it!
#105 of 105 Old 01-27-2006, 07:34 PM

LOL, it is!!!

Feel free to email me privately w/any ?s, or just post 'em here! I'm excited for ya! Raising your own food is soooo fun, healthy and educational!

I'm having fun looking thru the McMurray catalog at different breeds. We have an incubator and 2 brooders, and plenty of space, so we'll be starting our own. I will do both chicks and keats in the incubator, plus order a bunch of chicks 'cause I have a hard time waiting for hatching, lol! We are securing things better so we don't have any dog attacks! I was sooo upset when the strays got 30 of my chickens in 2 different attacks.

Btw, you will be amazed at how tame chickens can be. You will come to really love watching them and their different personalities. Ours will roost on our arms while we pet them.

I'm thinking of trying my hand at ducks this year, too. Suppose to be some great meat, and easy and cheap to raise!

oh, and my email is theherbmama3@earthlink.net

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page