Does anyone give as part of your budget? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-23-2006, 07:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
we have a small donation in our monthly budget, but really that is the bottom line, we just don't budget any other giving we might do, and it isn't planned, it's kind of as the Lord shows us. It could be 10 of that months income, it could be 80, or whatever we have in savings, who knows. We just need to be open to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2006, 12:09 PM

I hear you on the circle of karma, but to give for your own good would defeat the benefits of giving. You give from your heart to help others, to sew the seeds of generosity... you don't give to gain.

An extreme example, walmart and other corporations give to ''look good'' for their image. for a tax break. They will not have good karma simply because they give. Grassroots organizations give from their heart, and try and change the world in a positive way[even if it is in a smaller dollar value] and that is where the true good karma comes from imo.

That is all I was trying to say above.
Old 01-24-2006, 12:40 PM

It really is more blessed to give than to receive I think. We give at our church and then whenever someone is in need. We also have a little African boy that we send money to. His name is Abraham.
Old 01-24-2006, 01:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Since I volunteered my budget in the other thread Ill respond here.

Giving/donations etc come out of my misc. money category on my budget. There is not a set amount, its what I can give ($$) at the time. Whether it be the police fund, girl scouts, door to door enviromentalist, MIM, red cross, homeless beggar, cancer fundraiser, Salvation Army, gift trees etc. I have also fundraised $$ for causes, volunteered, raised money&ran for charity events/causes, donated blood, donated my time, sat on boards, donated clothes, etc.

Alas, tithing is not part of my giving.

Sara - Mum to C (10/02) ; m/c 10/07; 7/08; 3/09; Lucy Olive Feb 28, 2010 !
Old 01-24-2006, 04:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
As a Latter-Day Saint (Mormon), I pay tithing on all money I receive, as part of my religious practice. It is the first thing I pay, and it is just a part of my budget. But I think that religion is irrelevant when it comes to application of the principles of tithing.

If we consider money as a form of energy (ie: you expend your "energy" at your job, and are compensated with a different "form" of energy...) then tithing is simply putting a portion of that energy back into the "universal stream", if you will. This keeps the flow going in a positive direction. Simple Abundance by Sarah Ban Breathnach has a very enlightening and inspirational (non-denominational) essay about the principles of tithing and the power of tithing to make you, as Sarah says, "more magnetic to money".

You can also consider tithing as a "thank-you note" to whatever source of universal good you believe in. (And as my mother used to say, "Those who say 'thank you' for the gifts they receive are more likely to receive more gifts.")

Visit www.evolutiontosimplicity.blogspot.com to follow my epic saga of single mummahood....

Old 01-24-2006, 08:09 PM

We give to charities each month (it's taken out of our account by direct debit) and we donate when we can (ie to charities who have set up stalls in the mall etc). We give at our Church too, but not 10% (our Church has some extremely generous people who make sure it's always meeting their budget) and our pastor teaches that time can be tithed as well - so we give to our Church in terms of service.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:17 PM

I hear what you are saying about tithing Kathirynne, but really I think tithing would have been constraining on me. For a long time I gave of my time and nto money, because I was young, single, and broke. It woudl have constrained me in that tithing is very specifically to give money, and not in other ways.
Old 01-25-2006, 12:07 AM - Thread Starter

Rainbow, according to scripture, the karma works whether or not you do it for a "good" reason. If you give, you do receive, that's just a law. You can give understanding you will receive with a selfish motivation or you can give understanding you will receive with a selfless motivation. The first says - I'll use this law to benefit myself. The second says - I'll use this law to benefit as many living beings as possible by giving away everything extra I receive to the poor/homeless/etc as a result of this giving.

But the fact is (if you believe what scripture says about karma) it's a law. It works whatever your motivation. It just works small if you have a small, self-serving mind. And it works big if you are thinking in a big way (meaning thinking about how you can serve others with whatever comes your way - time, money, a smile, a place on line in front of you at the bank, etc). Giving is also not just money. Buddhist scripture says there are four main categories of giving: material things, protection from fear, love, and spiritual guidance.

I think alot of women here have spoken really nicely of how they give in the other three categories and not just the material things. Yay for our generous hearts!
Old 01-25-2006, 12:23 AM

We tithe 10% off the top, before taxes. I also give to other areas, but to be honest, not a lot...it is hard. But this year I've given to many charities because of all the disasters going on.

I give 10% because God directed me too and I am a Christian...I do not believe it makes me a better person than anybody else and, although I have been a Christian a long time, I have not always tithed...It was placed on my heart to do so the last few years though. It is not easy, but I know it is as necessary as any other bill I pay (more so).

God doesn't instruct me to do this to make my life harder, nor does he promise me riches in return.... I do know that he loves me and I will be cared for, not because I tithe exactly, but because I have enough faith in him to do what he asks. Even the stuff I don't understand....but I do understand tithing.

Anyway, that is what we do!

Old 01-25-2006, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow
I hear what you are saying about tithing Kathirynne, but really I think tithing would have been constraining on me. For a long time I gave of my time and nto money, because I was young, single, and broke. It woudl have constrained me in that tithing is very specifically to give money, and not in other ways. Now it would constrain me because we would be, out of habit or obligation, be giving 10 percent of our budget.. instead of the 30 percent we came to without a set standard set before us.
In Christian teaching, the tithe (10%) is a baseline for giving. It would never be considered a 'constraint'. I've never been at a church that would turn away more, or fail to request it.

Rabbithorns, to answer your question... Yes. We budget giving at the baseline 10% to our church (which we regularly exceed for fund drives, angel tree, food pantry... and donations of time and talents), and another flexible percentage (probably between 3-5%) for our favorite charities (i.e. Heifer, Mercy Home for Girls and Boys, Probe Center Austin, Habitat, etc...).
Old 01-25-2006, 01:33 AM

When DH and I both worked outside the home, we gave 5%+ of our income to charity, as part of our regular budget. Now that I'm a SAHM and our income has been cut in half, we no longer do this -- we now give very little financially. However, we feel that one of the advantages of me staying home with our daughter is that I now have more time for volunteer work. I used to volunteer 3-5 hours a month when I WOH, now it's much more.

We save about 15% of our income for long-term needs, such as retirement, college savings, and major things that might come up (job loss, car replacement, major home repairs, etc.), and believe that this is the most important thing we can do financially in order to have a low-stress and happy life.

As atheists, we're obviously not part of a church that needs financial contributions.

I do not believe in karma as a spiritual concept, but I do believe it's important to help those less fortunate, to work to make our communities stronger, etc. I'm a little disturbed by the notion that I might personally benefit in some indirect way from doing these things -- I do them because they need doing, without any expectation of return, and I would not want it any other way.

Sonja , 40, married to DH (42) since 5-29-93, DD born 11-3-2004, DS born 1-18-2007.
Old 01-25-2006, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommystinch
Maybe I'm also a bit biased because I can't stand that so much of what we earn goes towards things that I do not believe in and have no control over... and then, I can't afford to give to who I feel truely deserves it
yup, when we are already paying hundreds of dollars a month in taxes (and we're going to owe an aditional 5,000 this year for using my college fund) to go to things I don't beleive in, I am quite jaded and I can no longer afford to give to those that we beleive in. The majority has already decided for me that I'm forced to donate our money to causes we don't agree with and if we refuse to they come with guns and put us in jail. However we do try our best to support liberty supporting organizations.
Old 01-25-2006, 02:43 AM - Thread Starter

While I am not suggesting that Christians should tithe with the motivation to receive abundance from the Lord, the Bible is quite clear that giving and following the commandments is rewarded by God.

(for doing what the Lord commands of us-)
Deuteronomy 28:4 Blessed shall be the fruit of your body, the fruit of your ground, and the fruit of your beats, the increase of your cattle and the young of your flock.
Deuteronomy 28:8 The Lord shall command the blessing upon you in your storehouse and in all that you undertake.

(if you give to the poor among you -)
Deuteronomy 15:10 You shall give to him freely without begrudging it; because of this the Lord will bless you in all your work and in all you undertake.

(if we trust in God -)
John 10:10 I came that they may have and enjoy life, and have it in abundance until it overflows.

(the promise of wealth for sowing proper seeds -)
Proverbs 28:19 He who cultivates his land will have plenty of bread...
Proverbs 28:27 He who gives to the poor shall not want.
Proverbs 13:22 ...the wealth of the sinner finds its way into the hands of the righteous for whom it was laid up.

I don't know...but the Bible is clear to me that doing good, giving, and having faith in the Lord are the cause of being more of a blessing to others. If that's true, then why would I not be proud and happy to stand up and say - I give so that I can receive enough to give MORE and be more of a blessing to those who are hurting. If that's God's economy, I sure don't want to shrink back and say I'm not going to use His method to be a blessing to others. I can be careful not to use it for myself, but it's clear that's what it takes to help others.

(In Buddhism, we call that karma.)

User Tag List