What have you done frugal Jan 22 - 28 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 40 Old 01-22-2006, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay what is the absolutely most frugal thing you have done to date?

Give us ideas on what we can do to live frugally.

I tried the extra spin on the washer before drying. I really need a drying rack. I wonder if I could get dh to make me one? I probably could do it, it doesn't seem that hard, just an investment into the wood and screws.

I did not cave to my desire for take out pizza - I made a DELICIOUS homemade pizza, my best ever.
#2 of 40 Old 01-22-2006, 01:44 PM

subbing...

continued to use cloth napkins. stopped buying paper towels. continued to use cloth diapers and using my diva cup and cloth pads when needed.
planned menu around seasonal veggies.
no take out or eating out in about 2 weeks.
got a video from the library.
#3 of 40 Old 01-22-2006, 02:07 PM

Subscribing....I am pretty new to being frugal so I don't think I have done anything spectacular yet.

We are switching dd to training pants from pull ups in an effort get her trained and save money.
#4 of 40 Old 01-22-2006, 02:10 PM

getting ready to make another batch of yogurt and more bread. Just so that I know how often I need these 2 things, I've been writing down when I make them. That way next month, I'll write down on the calendar a day so that DD age 4 can be prepaerd w/ what we need to make for the week.

eating muffins today for breakfast. I made the tightwad guide ones w/ left over oatmeal. They are yummy! I made a double batch and today will freeze these so that we have them for later this week.

Dh realized air filter is a little dirty. His reminder didn't go off for last month so he said instead of changing it now he's waiting until the end of feb since that would be the next time. We're still on schedule and not wasting it.

Nearly have all my laundry done. This week I plan on purging clothes, cd's, and old rags (too yucky ones). My goal is to get just what we need in laundry so that I'm not in pile constantly and so that laundry is less therefore less water/gas being used. then my laundry room will be cleared so that dh can install the drying rack for me.

Turned off sanitize and heated dry feature off of my dishwasher. After I'm done w/ the kirkland brand of dishwashing detergent will try lessen the amount of detergent used. This one if you use less, it works horribly.

Had to turn up the heat though from 65 to 68. Baby is too cold and it's very cold in the am. Oh well, it's better than my 72-75!

and of course, cd'ed and bf!
#5 of 40 Old 01-22-2006, 07:03 PM

We went for a walk late this morning (free exercise). Thought we might eat lunch out, as we still have money in the envelope and we're doing really well with our budget this month. But we didn't; we came home and made lunch here.

I'm planning some meals and making a grocery list today. Things I always do, but I am *thinking* about things differently now. How can I buy organic but spend less? How can I reduce packaging? How far did the food have to travel to get to me? I will, of course, take my canvas shopping bags with me.

DH is going to a Laker game tonight. My first impulse was to ask him to take the 4Runner out of the garage so I could take the boys to dinner (my treat, so it wouldn't impact the budget). But I decided that we would stay in, and that I'll make vegan whole wheat pancakes for dinner. DH isn't a breakfast-for-dinner kind of guy, so it will be a treat for the boys and me. We save gas, and I keep my personal savings account intact. More importantly, I reinforce the idea that eating at home is the best thing to do.

I've been turning the heat down from 68 to 66 during the day.

Today I'm going to look through my yarn stash and plan my next scarf/project. Having a scarf nearly finished made it possible to give BIL a homemade gift for his birthday (I finished it yesterday morning) and keep the gift budget down. But now I need to get started on another one! I also need to make more cotton dishcloths; I gave 3 to DH's cousin for her birthday.

This week I'm going to work on decluttering the office. When it is clean and organized it is far easier to make greeting cards, which definitely saves money. I've also decided to sew some cloth t.p. wipes/handkerchiefs, so I need my desk surface cleared so I can pull out the sewing machine.

I have a couple pairs of jeans I no longer fit into (yay!); I am going to start cutting squares and hopefully by the end of the year (I am losing weight) I will have enough to make a nice big denim quilt. I haven't decided if I will keep it or use it as a holiday gift.
#6 of 40 Old 01-22-2006, 07:23 PM

I skipped all the tempting post-holiday sales at Target. Not going into stores = saving money.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#7 of 40 Old 01-22-2006, 08:17 PM

BF
CD
turned heat off yesterday, still off
roasted 2 chickens tonite, using the carcasses to make stock
starting to use cloth in the potty for me
didn't cave and go out to eat for lunch
switching to "green" cleaning items
Liz

Wife, and mother to a small fairy, a demolition expert, a special new someone this fall and a small dachshund.
#8 of 40 Old 01-23-2006, 01:33 PM

Stew is in the slow cooker: I'm worried about it, though, it doesn't seem to be one of my best.
Cloth nappies, homemade bread, as before.
I gave money away though: I had a typo on my ebay listing and one of my buyers sent me double what I wanted in postage, and I didn't feel right about keeping it. So I didn't.
I made papier mache bowls with the boys this afternoon, which we'll fill with plantpots and give as imbolc presents (we planted the bulbs last year.)

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#9 of 40 Old 01-23-2006, 02:06 PM

:

- I packed breakfast, lunch and dinner at home, hopefully avoiding the vending machines when I go to class tonight.

- Planning to make some crockpot chicken soup overnight tonight for lunches. I put it in containers and freeze, so I don't have to worry about spillage on the way to work.

- Going to pump after this post.

I signed up for a Parent & Tot 'swim' class yesterday. But at $45 for nine weeks, it didn't seem to bad to me. Plus, it's incentive for me to exercise before I have to get in my swimsuit.

Bridget. Momma to DD (4), expecting DS - 9/09, wife to SAHD. Gardener, coffee addict, urban dweller.
#10 of 40 Old 01-23-2006, 02:53 PM

Subscribing!

What great ideas, Mommas!

This week so far I've fed the freezer a meatloaf. I stretched my beef into two loaves with a little extra bread and carrot.

I made a pot of soup for lunches with leftovers and some veggie stock that I had frozen.

I used 1/2 the soap in the laundry and hung 1/2 my loads to dry.

I skipped the grocery store this week and only went to the bread outlet and the fruit and veggie stand so I spent $40 (including milk and eggs) instead of my normal $100+ I spend when the grocery store brainwashes me.
#11 of 40 Old 01-23-2006, 03:00 PM

Well ... besides the day-to-day regular stuff (BFing, ECing etc.) we saved 47% on our grocery bill through watching in-store sales and with about $20 in coupons.

Then instead of tossing Friday night's leftovers, I made fried rice with it on Saturday which should feed us for lunch for a few days.

I blog traditional foods and Weston A Price at Nourished Kitchen. See my healthy recipes.
#12 of 40 Old 01-23-2006, 05:16 PM

For a while, I've been struggling to decrease paper towel use and I finally found a solution! I have plenty of rags and old flat diapers to use-- the trouble was that here in hawaii, if I leave a damp dishtowel hanging around, it attracts bugs. So I got a medium zippered wetbag for the kitchen. I just stuff all the used dishtowels in there and wash the whole thing when I'm ready, including the bag.

I've been taking dd to the library every week.

Also made homemade pizza this weekend instead of ordering!
#13 of 40 Old 01-24-2006, 01:10 AM

DS has been leaking through his diapers lately and we were worrying that the ones we have weren't going to work for him anymore - he is in this horrible stage where the current size doesn't have enough absorbancy for him, but he's far too skinny for the next size up. Instead of looking for new diapers, I found some terry on sale (50% off) and whipped up a set of soakers to get us through until he's big enough for the next size.
#14 of 40 Old 01-24-2006, 01:13 AM

We ate the last of our 'feed the freezer' food this week, so my freezer is empty of everything but some odds and ends...1/2 bag veggies, some popsicles, etc.

Sooo...I cleaned out my pantry, made an inventory, and made a shopping list for my next all-weekend cook-fest

I also made two loaves of pumpkin-walnut-raisin bread with a can of pumpkin puree I must have missed at the holidays, about 1/2 package each of leftover raisins and walnuts.

Instead of buying my older dd new furniture like she thought she needed, we found a way to make what she already had work better for her. We're both happy now and her room is clean, bonus!

I put my roll of paper towels out of sight. I feel I need them for the occasional toddler poop gone astray, thing the dog brought in from the yard, etc. but I see my family using cloth almost exclusively and it makes me
#15 of 40 Old 01-24-2006, 06:05 PM

This morning I made a featherbed and pillow for my dd's doll cradle. (She uses the cradle all my babies slept in for her dolls.) It cost me nothing!! (And I am keeping my resolution to make/buy at least 1 Christmas gift every month-starting in January-so that I can enjoy the holidays this year, instead of frantically trying to finish my shopping at the last minute!!)

I used an old down pillow that I have been too cheap to throw away (even though it was torn and leaked down everywhere! : ), a past-its-prime feather pillow that a friend gave me when she bought new ones, and an old, wearing-out flannel blanket my mother made for me when I was about 10. (The bonus is that there is enough left-over material and feathers/down to make 2 throw pillows for my bed! )

I also had pizza and went ice skating for free on Saturday, courtesy of the credit union where my kids have their savings accounts.

Visit www.evolutiontosimplicity.blogspot.com to follow my epic saga of single mummahood....

#16 of 40 Old 01-24-2006, 09:49 PM

I bought a nice Advent calendar for next year at Barnes and Noble for 75% off, so it was $2. We didn't have one last year because I was too cheap to pay full price. I also got a weekly calender/planner for $2.49.

DH likes baby greens. I can buy a 1 lb. package, but I still hate the packaging. I went back to buying head lettuce. What DH really likes (besides the yummy variety of greens in the spring mix) is having the lettuce washed and ready to eat. So I washed a head of lettuce, spun it dry in a pillowcase, and tore it into bite-sized pieces.

Friends were going out to lunch today after our field trip. Boys and I came home and ate here.

I ordered compact fluorescent bulbs for our bedside lamps. They are just about the last two lights in the house without fluorescents. I had to order them as I couldn't find bulbs that are made in the USA at the big boxes I frequent.

We're making lemonade for dinner from lemons that were given to us.

Last night I cleaned out the fridge and fed the dog the leftovers that were nearing their end. She had brown rice, a beans and spinach dish, and some steamed broccoli and cauliflower. She didn't need her kibble last night.
#17 of 40 Old 01-24-2006, 09:49 PM

Used leftovers for a yummy breakfast casserole for dinner and a loaf of banana bread.

Am using B-day money for groceries so it doesn't come out of money that needs to go to bills.

Went to the library
CD'ed
making more cloth dishrags
had my serger serviced -free since it is under warranty

Birth Photographer mom to four blessings
#18 of 40 Old 01-24-2006, 10:49 PM

Here's my list:
1. I'm working on making bread for the first time.
2. Decided to live off leftover food in my pantry by doing searches online to find a use for the stuff I don't know how to use that the food pantry has given us. My goal is to not step foot in a grocery store until at least Wednesday.
3. Decided to shut off the home phone and live off my cell at the end of this month. (Why was I paying for both again? I do need the cell as expensive as it is, I'm a student and when I'm at school my children are at school, so they need to be able to get ahold of me)
4. Worked on some handknit gloves/mittens for the family

I'm so proud of myself!

Kerry, loving wife to Pete, mama to DD (14) DS1 (9) DS2 (3) & Expecting someone new Jan 2013

#19 of 40 Old 01-25-2006, 05:55 PM

I made a big pot of chili that will feed dh and I for dinner for 3 days. I have resisted the temptation to buy food at the store to eat while dh is at work. I have decided to eat up the food in the cabinets instead. I have been eating a lot of packaged soups and peanut butter with bread. Not the healthiest thing in the world, but I figure that eating it up is better than throwing it out or having it sit in the cabinets forever. I am rounding up stuff around the house that we no longer use to sell on ebay. That's all I can think of right now.
#20 of 40 Old 01-26-2006, 12:25 AM

I've got some chicken noodle soup started in the crockpot - it'll cook overnight. It's an attempt to use up some things in the freezer/fridge/pantry, especially the chicken, peas and noodles.

The soup will be frozen for lunches.

Bridget. Momma to DD (4), expecting DS - 9/09, wife to SAHD. Gardener, coffee addict, urban dweller.
#21 of 40 Old 01-26-2006, 12:57 PM

The weather was good enough for me to line-dry my nappies today! They did need an extra spin first, though. The funny thing is, my next-door neighbour hadn't even realised we had a baby
I made a batch of marmelade today, as well: I'm giving my mum a breakfast themed food hamper as part of her Mothers Day present (breakfast in bed), and we were considering doing the same for my ex's wedding from the boys (wedding breakfast) so for two pounds, we have a dozen gorgeous jars of orange gloop.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#22 of 40 Old 01-26-2006, 01:18 PM

well, this first one was a bit sneaky...but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do
our grocery store had 93% ground beef on sale for $1.99/lb and we didn't have enough money right now to stock up...so we kept checking back until they were sold out and both my dh and I went in and got rainchecks (good for up to 5lbs at the sale price and no expiration date). :
now once we have the $ we can go back and get the sale price

I started a new job as an ABA therapist for autistic children (my degree is in Psycholoy...but ack!!...I am nervous about working again after all these years). I am working with 2 different boys and they don't live far from each other (but they live about 30 minutes from me) so I managed to arrange to do both therapy sessions on Saturday to save on gas.
that's frugal...right?

I picked up a twin pack of 40oz jars of crunchy peanut butter NIB from a fellow freecycler

I have been trying to use the crockpot and electric griddle for whatever I can to try and make a dent in our $300 gas bill (our thermostat is already at 65)

ohhhhh...
and we found a new favorite store
there is a small country store not far from us that buys things from Costco in huge lots (like things that are returned, discontinued, expired, etc). They have boxes of granola bars for 75c, boxes of little debbie snacks for 50c, cans of chili for 50c, huge boxes of tissues for 75c, calvin klein jeans for $10, brand name mens sweaters for $7, etc.
just about anything Costco sells at a cheaper price (and sometimes with damaged packaging). But it has quickly become our favorite place to get canned goods and to pick up something when we need a gift
#23 of 40 Old 01-26-2006, 01:30 PM

I always get rainchecks on sold out items so I can go back on payday. It's smart shopping!
#24 of 40 Old 01-26-2006, 01:39 PM

i made granola bars but don't think I'll do that again they had too much brown sugar.

Ds and I made our own whole wheat crackers yesterday. they were so yummy and healthy! it's a recipe from THe Farm cook book. that's got loads of cheap vegan recipes!
#25 of 40 Old 01-26-2006, 02:03 PM

Oh I'll play...

Let's see...I found a chicken I had put in the freezer, oh, 18 months ago so I cooked it up, had a great dinner, made chicken salad with the leftovers and then made broth/soup with the remainder.

Found chickens (do you sense a theme) at the store for $.69/lb so I bought a few of them and put them in the freezer as well.

We are letting our cleaning lady go *sniff* so I made some cleaning solution for our laminate floors (you know, vinegar, water, lavender essential oil) and it works like a dream. So that's pretty frugal...

Great ideas on this thread from everyone else. Good job everyone!

Jen, former attorney and now SAHM to 11 yo ds and 8 yo ds

#26 of 40 Old 01-26-2006, 03:57 PM

wow! the xtra spin cycle makes a huge diff. in dry time.
thanks for the idea of line drying, have a load out in the yard right now.
went to good will and picked up a nice glass canister for flour, a book and thrifty gardening and canning and a sweet little basket for the boys rocks.

haven't eaten out in a looooooonnngg time. i think we've made it over the this sucks point and are ok with it now!
#27 of 40 Old 01-26-2006, 04:40 PM

have before gym and karate class

tue night I made two meals off a pkg of ground sirloin and tvp

so last night when dh asked if we needed to stop and grab something I said no dinner is waiting at home

I said no to several requests by the kids

The one was a little mercenary lol "i know for a reward you can take us out to eat"

umm no. You are supposed to do x cause that is the thing to do -long story and don't give me tcs links please)

and we have what *you* picked to eat in the cooler

Tomorrow for family dinner and game night I will make pizzas from scratch

I am sending ds out to get some wings on sale and making my own barbecue sauce and simmering in the crockpot to fix his and dh's wing fix ..
#28 of 40 Old 01-26-2006, 04:59 PM

New things this week:

Made four loafs of from scratch bread by hand! That is huge for me! Only bummer....Jake our 1yr black lab got two of the loaves during the final rising stage That is ok....the other two were pretty good I have to tweak it a bit as they were a little "thick" but i am happy!

Also took turkey carcus and dry dinner rolls from dinner at my moms house. Made turkey soup (almost free ) and froze the dinner rolls to use as breading or bread crumbs in the future.

Also started a Stock pot for future soups with carrot peals and calery stalks (the top parts)

I have also been diluting our shampoo: 1 part shampoo to 1 part water. Works better that way Easier to lather through hair.

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#29 of 40 Old 01-26-2006, 05:00 PM

Oh.....

I also turned in overdue books and paid overdue charges (they gave me a deal ) on books from the library that I have had for 6 months :

Now we can check out books again

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#30 of 40 Old 01-27-2006, 10:10 AM

I got an 11lb boneless toupie ham for $16 last night. It's enough for at least 5-6 meals and I always made potato chowder with the leftovers for lunches for dd and I. So, I'll get 12 meals out of one ham with a few potatoes and veggies. I thinking about buying a second one.....

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page