totally excited- making my own baby food!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 01-23-2006, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'v just started dd on solid food and am so excited to make all my own!! I don't think she'll ever have baby food from jar! (Except I do feed her cereal fom a box for ease) I'm doing the whole freezer thing, but then I just found- at the $store a pack of 10 freezer safe plastic containers with lids!! They are just the right size for a serving- when she gets older! They're the same size as a baby food jar- only my food will be in them! I bought 40.
#2 of 27 Old 01-23-2006, 05:06 PM

Cool! I'm planning to do mostly homemade baby food this time around- with dd I was working and the jars were convenient but she used to take days to eat just one. I wasted so much. Do you have any recommendations for an inexpensive food mill, etc? When the time comes, I'd like to get something small, so I don't have to drag out and clean the big ol' blender/ food processor every time.
#3 of 27 Old 01-23-2006, 05:15 PM

So you make it and then freeze it?
#4 of 27 Old 01-23-2006, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciencemama
Cool! I'm planning to do mostly homemade baby food this time around- with dd I was working and the jars were convenient but she used to take days to eat just one. I wasted so much. Do you have any recommendations for an inexpensive food mill, etc? When the time comes, I'd like to get something small, so I don't have to drag out and clean the big ol' blender/ food processor every time.
I found a 1.5 cup food processor for $7.88 at Walmart. It's so tiny! I used it all the time for dd's food. I would just throw what we were eating in it and chop it up right before we ate. It's great. I still use it almost on a daily basis for cheese, onions or whatever else I need to dice in a hurry.
#5 of 27 Old 01-23-2006, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
So you make it and then freeze it?
Yeah- it's so easy! She's just on single foods still, so one day I cooked up about two cups of peas, after they cooled, I processed them and then froze them in ice cube trays. After about 24 hours, they pop right out really easily! It took me all of 20 minutes to make. (Easier than breastmilk- I never got that one to work well, it just got sticky).

My food processor is a 3 cup kitchenaid, not very big at all. I love it. I just keep it on the counter. But I also have a foodmill- one that's specially made for babies. It comes in a case and the food goes in through the bottom and then you grind at the top, and then it's in a little "bowl" and it even comes with a spoon. It's great. I think it's about $10 at Babies R US. But the Walmart food processor sounds great- cheap and small.

If you freeze the food in ice cube trays, you can just take out what baby will eat. Each cube is about an ounce. The best part is that almost everything freezes- peas, carrots, sweet potatoes- and you can keep it in the freezer for about 3 mos. I also found some recipes for mixing foods- when we start on that.
#6 of 27 Old 01-23-2006, 08:31 PM
Banned

That's awesome! We make all our own baby food too though my daughter isn't big on solids yet (shes almost 8 months old!)

It is super easy ... I don't know why people think it is so daunting... we just steam veggies ...or steam whatever veggies we are eating anyway, and before I add spices and all that jazz, I take a few and puree them with a bit of purified water.

I think it is wonderful to know exactly where your baby's food is coming from and how it was prepared etc... I will use organic in a jar in a pinch but I plan to make all her food otherwise...

Oh and you can make your own cereal too if you are doing cereal... you just process dry brown rice in a food processor until it is very fine, then mix it with water and heat until it is cooked, then add breastmilk to smooth it... we haven't done cereal of any kind yet, but friends have done this method for rice cereal and even baby oatmeal...
#7 of 27 Old 01-23-2006, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I thought about making the cereals, but I don't want to do all the cooking right before I feed her. It's usually too hectic- a lot easier to pour a little from the box and mix with apple juice right in front of her. She doesn't have a lot of patience.

Now, when she's ready for some texture, I do have a recipe for making instant oatmeal- which you can then mix with fruit also. I mean like the packets of instant. It's really good with real apples or raisins and cinnamon in it!
#8 of 27 Old 01-24-2006, 12:27 AM

We used to plop cooked and pureed foods (we mashed them or used a blender) into ice cube trays, freeze, then pop the cubes into a freezer bag. Then I just took one or two cubes at a time for the meal. Then you don't need so many containers.

Also the Happy Baby food grinder is perfect for instant meals. At some point I stopped spending time cooking food for the baby (like in a couple of weeks when I got tired of wasting unnecessary time) and so we just ground whatever we were eating at the table. That was so much easier than anything else.
#9 of 27 Old 01-24-2006, 12:39 AM

I stopped the cooking and freezing after a few weeks as well. We just started grinding up whatever we were eating.

Mama to:Ben (12), Natalie (9), Zoe (5)

#10 of 27 Old 01-24-2006, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain crunchy

It is super easy ... I don't know why people think it is so daunting... we just steam veggies ...or steam whatever veggies we are eating anyway, and before I add spices and all that jazz, I take a few and puree them with a bit of purified water.
I give my baby food with the spices
we use the 'kidco' baby food grinder and I put whatever we (minus the allergenic foods) are eating, in it and give it to her (its a snap to use and easy to clean and carry with you). I dont' freeze anything. But I won't rule that out, the more she eats, it might be nice if I am not planning on making anything for myself to be able to pop a single serving out when i need it. Anyway the reason i give spices is because i have this Indian friend and she says they give the babes spices in india from the getgo and its fine and healthy for them. I did this with my 2nd dd and she is 3 now and eats everything! she loves hot/spicey indian food and eats at tibetan and ethiopian restaurants with us! its great! my 1st dd we did not give spicey foods to (before I met my friend) and she is the pickiest eater ever! So...
#11 of 27 Old 01-24-2006, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mihrimah
I'v just started dd on solid food and am so excited to make all my own!! I don't think she'll ever have baby food from jar! (Except I do feed her cereal fom a box for ease) I'm doing the whole freezer thing, but then I just found- at the $store a pack of 10 freezer safe plastic containers with lids!! They are just the right size for a serving- when she gets older! They're the same size as a baby food jar- only my food will be in them! I bought 40.
from your post it looks as if your dd is only a couple months old. She's already on food??
#12 of 27 Old 01-24-2006, 02:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandraj
from your post it looks as if your dd is only a couple months old. She's already on food??
Yeah, she's almost 4 mos. But she showed most of the signs of being ready to eat, and I don't buy into the whole thing about kids being overweight if they're fed earlier than 6mos. My four sibs and I were all started on solid food at 2 weeks and we're just fine. My neice was started at 2 mos and she's skinny as a stick. I think there's an attitude that leads to behaviors that cause obesity.
I'm only doing cereals and fruits and veggies until she's 6 mos though. She loves it though. And it's not that much right now too, most of her meals are breastmilk still.
#13 of 27 Old 01-24-2006, 02:14 AM

Christi, I don't think the pp was concerned about early eaters being overweight. I 'think' the concern is that a baby's gastrointestinal system is just not ready for anything other that breastmilk that early. Whatkind of signs did your baby show that made you think she was ready for solids? Just curious.

Also, I noticed in your sig that your dd was born and then you lost a baby a month later? (hugs)
#14 of 27 Old 01-24-2006, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by numom499
Christi, I don't think the pp was concerned about early eaters being overweight. I 'think' the concern is that a baby's gastrointestinal system is just not ready for anything other that breastmilk that early. Whatkind of signs did your baby show that made you think she was ready for solids? Just curious.

Also, I noticed in your sig that your dd was born and then you lost a baby a month later? (hugs)
yes thats true. I have read also(sorry don't have a link) that babies digestive tracts are not ready for food at that young of an age.
#15 of 27 Old 01-24-2006, 04:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by numom499

Sorry- my signature was wrong- actually we found out we lost a baby on election day and less than two months later I was pregnant with Sabine.

Anyway, the signs she showed were like being interested in our eating, opening her mouth when we took a bite, plus she's doubled her birth weight, sits up with minimal assistance..... etc.... She mainly gets breastmilk, and most of what I've read and heard is that you can start when they meet those expectations and between 4 and 6 mos. So, she started just a little early, and hasn't had any problems with bms or anything.
#16 of 27 Old 01-24-2006, 09:56 AM

Quote:

Anyway, the signs she showed were like being interested in our eating, opening her mouth when we took a bite, plus she's doubled her birth weight, sits up with minimal assistance..... etc.... She mainly gets breastmilk, and most of what I've read and heard is that you can start when they meet those expectations and between 4 and 6 mos. So, she started just a little early, and hasn't had any problems with bms or anything.

Actully if they are BF all new liturature should say AT LEAST 6 months. there is no reason for them to have anything eles till 6 months... if you were to try and offer her just a spoon to play with durring meal times she would have prolly been just as happy... ealier intro to foods/solids can lead to digestive problems (even if you can't see in the BM), alliergies and exema, much ealier weaing from the breast...
#17 of 27 Old 01-24-2006, 01:52 PM

She is too young to be eating solids.

As far as baby food, I would find it a headache to cook seperately at all for my children (babies or not). We did some freezing with DS#2 (DS#1 didn't start solids until 9/10 mos. when he wanted finger foods anyhow). That was just from things we were already having with dinner. Otherwise, he just got food from our dinners without seasonings, mashed with a fork. All the processor stuff really isn't necessary. Although I have a friend who loves her Happy Baby food grinder (same as Kidco), but it's just as easily done with a plain old fork. You don't have to cook the grains seperate, just plan rice or whatever grain you want into your meal and save a little aside for baby.

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#18 of 27 Old 01-24-2006, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by root*children

As far as baby food, I would find it a headache to cook seperately at all for my children (babies or not). We did some freezing with DS#2 (DS#1 didn't start solids until 9/10 mos. when he wanted finger foods anyhow). That was just from things we were already having with dinner. Otherwise, he just got food from our dinners without seasonings, mashed with a fork. All the processor stuff really isn't necessary. Although I have a friend who loves her Happy Baby food grinder (same as Kidco), but it's just as easily done with a plain old fork. You don't have to cook the grains seperate, just plan rice or whatever grain you want into your meal and save a little aside for baby.
I agree,but the reason I use my grinder on occasion is for green peas and beans so that I can grind them up w/the skin so she doesn't choke on it (I am nervous ). Everything else she eats I figure if I can't mash it by hand then maybe she's not ready for it ya know??
#19 of 27 Old 01-24-2006, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by becca011906
Actully if they are BF all new liturature should say AT LEAST 6 months. there is no reason for them to have anything eles till 6 months... if you were to try and offer her just a spoon to play with durring meal times she would have prolly been just as happy... ealier intro to foods/solids can lead to digestive problems (even if you can't see in the BM), alliergies and exema, much ealier weaing from the breast...
yeah, I let mine suck on hard food like carrot sticks and big chunks of apple -she has no teeth (she is 9 mo) so she just suck on it or uses it a s teether. does your babe have teeth yet??
#20 of 27 Old 01-24-2006, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by root*children
Well thank you for your medical opinion, but if you don't mind, I think I'll go with my pediatrician's advice, who agrees with me.
#21 of 27 Old 01-24-2006, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Well thank you for your medical opinion, but if you don't mind, I think I'll go with my pediatrician's advice, who agrees with me.
I understand, I was you when I had my first. All Peds(well most ) say this. They are wrong. It is an old school way of thinking. I don't know why they are not up to speed on this. perhaps they don't do their homework or study up on new findings. here is a link with fact based information
http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...ay-solids.html
I hope this helps!
We moms just want to help each other we don't mean to be snarky or 'know it alls'. We just love babies and want to support other mamas and want the best for them. good luck mama
#22 of 27 Old 01-24-2006, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

Well apparently I just started a crappy thread. I started this to talk about making my own baby food- not to be lambasted for starting my baby on solids "too early" in some people's opinion. If I wanted advice about that I would have gone to the "living with a babe" forum where there are moms going through the same thing- and a lot of what I've read is in agreement with me.

I'm not saying that in a "you're wrong, i'm right" kind of way, I'm saying it in a "I'll make my own informed decision, thank you" kind of way. I have read pretty much every book there is available, and have spoken with mine and a couple other pediatricians and many other parents. So thanks for your concern, but maybe we could get back to the topic.

For the record, dd is 18 weeks- or 4.5 mos.
#23 of 27 Old 01-25-2006, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Well apparently I just started a crappy thread. I started this to talk about making my own baby food- not to be lambasted for starting my baby on solids "too early" in some people's opinion. If I wanted advice about that I would have gone to the "living with a babe" forum where there are moms going through the same thing- and a lot of what I've read is in agreement with me.

I'm not saying that in a "you're wrong, i'm right" kind of way, I'm saying it in a "I'll make my own informed decision, thank you" kind of way. I have read pretty much every book there is available, and have spoken with mine and a couple other pediatricians and many other parents. So thanks for your concern, but maybe we could get back to the topic.

For the record, dd is 18 weeks- or 4.5 mos.
well then you are all set
#24 of 27 Old 01-25-2006, 08:43 AM

Despite my personal feelings about your situation I'd like to recommend this site. It helped me many times.
http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/
#25 of 27 Old 01-27-2006, 11:14 AM

OK- now that the op was flamed enough, we can talk about baby food and making it yourself. Whether or not I agree with what was said dosent matter, she wants to talk about baby food.

I made baby food when dd1 was young. For me, I could not see spending money on jars of mainly water and some food in them. So we did a bit of both. Otherwise it would have been a bit out of our range. We mainly used the earths best if we had to use jars and then it was as said- veggies and fruits.

It was so much easier to buy a large squash-even organic one is cheaper than a bunch of baby food jars of squash. We would pop it in the oven, cook and then mash it up. Sometimes we would add a teeny bit of water or stir in some breastmilk before serving. But after making, we stored it in ice cube trays and packed them up. It would fill two trays and would last for a while.
We would do this also with sweet potatoes and organic carrots as well. sometimes we would combine them for variety.
We would also take a pretty ripe bannana and just mash it up with a masher or fork and sometimes let dd play with it/eat it. It could be a mess, but she would eat some and get more learning from the touch, smell, taste etc.
As she got closer to 12 mos, we would give her all kinds of things on our plates to touch or play with or try to eat. Since our palate is pretty diverse and she was ebf for 5 mos (OH NO I STARTED SOONER TOO!!) she even now at 3 1/2 will eat anything at least once.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#26 of 27 Old 01-27-2006, 12:14 PM

I was her too. Except I lived in a group home for young single mothers and they told me that homemade food wasn't appropriate for babies. This was in 2001! I can't believe they wouldn't let me do it. And that I did it at 4.5 months.

So for #2, when I was actually informed, I decided to make all my food. I prefer the make and freeze method because I've always been a WOHM and wanted to send my food to the caregiver's house, and I don't always cook our own meals fresh each night (freeze ahead).

I loved being able to know exactly what my baby was eating, and with homemade of course you can control the consistency exactly.
My method was to use a large blender and spend several hours at a time preparing a couple months' worth of food for the deep freeze. I believe I read that if you're using a deep freeze, you can keep veggies up to 6 months, and in a fridge-top for 2 months.
I recommend the book: "Super Baby Food" by Ruth Yaron. I only wish I'd read it years ago. I also like "What Should I Feed My Baby?" by Suzannah (?) Olivier. They both have great recipes, especially for when you choose to introduce things besides fruits and veggies.

We used my partner's mother's 1970s blender and it worked GREAT!

My SIL is pregnant and due in April and for her "gift" I'm making her certificates for from fresh homemade organic baby food, giving her the choice of several foods. She chose to use jarred food last time, even with a year off work, so now with 2 kids I'm sure she'll still feel too busy to do it herself. I did the same recently for a friend and she loved it!

4 kids under 10
#27 of 27 Old 01-27-2006, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanguine_speed
IMy SIL is pregnant and due in April and for her "gift" I'm making her certificates for from fresh homemade organic baby food, giving her the choice of several foods. She chose to use jarred food last time, even with a year off work, so now with 2 kids I'm sure she'll still feel too busy to do it herself. I did the same recently for a friend and she loved it!
Now theres an idea! I never thought of that!

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page