Anything you splurge on in your grocery bill... - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 45 Old 01-27-2006, 02:21 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
the things I absolutely won't sacrifice are organic milk and omega-3 free range eggs.
Everything else I can skip.

my favorite splurge right now
byerleys beer cheese soup.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 45 Old 01-27-2006, 03:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Organic Milk-it's the most expensive item of our grocery list, next to 100% virgin/organic/and or imported Olive Oil. we have a really good organic produce store, and are able to buy most of our produce reasonably, so we plan around organics on sale.
#33 of 45 Old 01-27-2006, 02:02 PM

We get organic milk, some organic cheese, local whole bean coffee, local beer, cage free eggs, (organic in the summer at the farmer's market), and ice cream. We mostly avoid prepared meals, but we usually have frozen ravioli on hand.

Bridget. Momma to DD (4), expecting DS - 9/09, wife to SAHD. Gardener, coffee addict, urban dweller.
#34 of 45 Old 01-27-2006, 02:25 PM

Sadly our grocery bill is not a splurge at all. it really would be so if could buy organic and whoel foods. But we are trying. Little by little to change that
any advice on how to convert slowly.. and not radically expensively?
#35 of 45 Old 01-27-2006, 05:54 PM

I think our splurge would be organic butter. WE really like butter in our family. Yummy!

And Dh loves his chocolate, especially chocolate chip cookies, which we make from scratch, but the 2 sticks of butter and the chips up our grocery bill!

I am prepared to buy in bulk and cook everything from scratch (no convience foods) if it means we eat healthy and (this is very important to me) delicious meals.

By the way, we love to eat salmon too and only wild, so when we can't afford fresh, we buy canned. Most canned varieties are wild, (read back of can I think). We eat it in salmon patties. chowders, casseroles, to get the benefits without the mercury. If you are worried about canned, the interior of the ones I buy are lined, so no metal is touching the fish. Just to let you know.
#36 of 45 Old 01-29-2006, 01:37 AM

We buy 4 pts of Ben and Jerry's ice cream every 2 weeks (because we all love a different flavor!), but once it is gone, there is no more until the next shop.

We also splurge on Republic of Tea. My dd in particular drinks cups and cups of tea every week, and Lipton just doesn't cut it for us.
#37 of 45 Old 01-29-2006, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tie-dyed
Oh, and this is generally not more expensive, but I do use granulated sugar...

The *only* sugar I will buy is Michigan grown and processed beet sugar. Doesn't matter if soemthing else is on sale, doesn't matter that I end up constantly stalking for sales and end up buying it twenty pounds at a time to avoid having to pay more for it, but I am very particular about this. Just trying to do my bit to keep the beet farmers in the Saginaw valley in business, and one of the few non-automotive related plants alive in an economically depressed area.
Me too! I bet we buy the same kind.

I also splurge on Spanish goat cheese (I am generally intolerant of dairy, but this doesn't bother me and it is SO good with an apple!).
#38 of 45 Old 01-29-2006, 07:55 PM

My entire grocery list is a balance of 'splurge' and 'frugal'.

For splurge: kefir, miso, almond butter, Naked Juice smoothies/juices, amasake, organic avocados, fresh organic salsa, honey roasted peanut butter, organic yogurt and organic pears.

Everything else I buy is from the bulk section.

flowersforyou.gif

#39 of 45 Old 01-29-2006, 10:48 PM

Organic dark chocolate!
In the summer we eat a box of popsicles a week, just love them.
Corn chip (trader Joe's has wonderful white corn organic chip)
Dh's shade grown organic coffee
And OJ.

H

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

#40 of 45 Old 01-30-2006, 01:27 PM

Ben and Jerrys and the occasional beer for dh.
#41 of 45 Old 02-01-2006, 04:08 AM

I'm bad, bad, bad. Lately I have been splurging on pretty much everything. I've created a monster in myself by giving myself permission to always buy organic. I don't know if I can ever go back! It feels good to always make the best choices, buy organic, and nourish my family like this. What's funny though, is that I think because I'm going for the more expensive stuff, that in the long run we've ended up saving money because we don't mass consume like we used to. Funny.
#42 of 45 Old 02-01-2006, 04:11 PM

organic milk
beer and wine (no nutrition there!)
extra virgin olive oil
real Parmesan

Also, occasionally:
fancy olives
real maple syrup

We used to do the organic free-trade coffee, too, but we really can no longer afford it, considering the amount of cofee we drink. Instead we ask for it for Christmas (and sometimes actually get it).

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

#43 of 45 Old 02-02-2006, 01:04 AM

We eat pretty much all organic here, but I'm of the opinion that it's not really negotiable. Since I started eating all organic my cronic pain is pretty much disappeared, so for us there is no looking back. I do like to splurge on organic chocolate chips, and organic cookies and crackers for dd.

Sarah knit.gif married to Micah, mama to dd1 (9), dd2 (7) and ds (2). We love to homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif goorganic.jpgchicken3.gif
#44 of 45 Old 02-07-2006, 11:53 PM

Cheese: huge honkin chunks of bleu, dill havarti, parmesan. I love me some cheese.

Carr's Rosemary crackers

Chocolate Silk for my boy (the only thing he'll drink that doesn't come out of a breast)

"Girl Beer" in the warm months (Mike's Hard Lemonade is like $7 a six pack, which is crazy, but just so yummy.)
#45 of 45 Old 02-09-2006, 02:48 PM

organics and premade Indian meals

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page