Anything you splurge on in your grocery bill... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-24-2006, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I read that some of you buy organic food and the like. Are there any items you regularly purchase that even if you were to drastically cut back on your groceries (or already have) that you would continue to buy? If so, why?

I am trying to control my grocery bill, and am very good at not buying conveinience foods and try to make my own. ( not so far as my own ketchup or anything, ). I do buy the Omega 3 eggs, as they taste so much better, are healthier, and have brighter yolks and really here at least don't cost too much more, and my other weakness is nut butters like almond...I use them in a few recipies/smoothies and also mix it with p'butter to stretch it. I also buy some fairly specific "health food brands" of crackers as they are the only ones without hydrogenated oils and mostly whole grain that I can find. I do sometimes splurge on those large (read 1 1/2 ft long) salmon fillets : but bake them and also chunk the leftovers and put it in patties or quiche or chowder. My BIGGEST weakness is in the produce department where I have been known to buy things out of season and thus pay more...I can only go so long without eating grapes,

Just curious about what you all do, any splurges even though things may be tight? Tina

Tina, RN, wife-y to J, mom to dd (10) and ds (7)
"Beware the lollipop of mediocracy...one lick and you suck forever!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2006, 02:32 PM

liquid vanilla creamer (don't lynch me!!!) It's bad, bad, bad....organic is much more justifiable
Old 01-24-2006, 02:42 PM

I don't splurge on me, but I do on DH who would apparently DIE if he was to go without doritos, fritos, etc. for more than 12 hrs. The good news is that since he has come to this eat nacho chips or die revelation, I have convinced him that storebrand and on sale are equally as good as Doritos ($0.89 compared to $2.99 - hard to beat ) Not proud to be the crunchy mom with a cart full of knock-off doritos, but I love DH, so I'll do it

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

Old 01-24-2006, 02:48 PM

:
Old 01-24-2006, 02:58 PM

I'd have to say coffee----I buy whole bean--usually local roaster---or Starbucks....when I can getto trader joe's it saves me a bit---great coffee & priced better per pound......

And I try to buy organic--or at least hormone free milk---always.
Old 01-24-2006, 03:09 PM

avacados expensive, out of season, 3.00 eaxh- I always buy avacados.

organic coffee, but i drink so rarely it is a tiny expense.

organic chocolate bar. I get one dark chocolate bar a week [2.99] and cherish each bite, a little each day, until the following week.
Old 01-24-2006, 03:38 PM

We buy fair trade coffee and organic chocolate... Sometimes we also splurge on our Soy/Flaxseed/Corn tortilla chips too.

Deb
Old 01-24-2006, 03:46 PM

Another wife of a Doritoes addict here. He also HAS to have the most expensive disposable razors. Quatro replacement blades are 4 for $9!! :
My splurge is on those Whole Fruit orange and vanilla cream popsicles. They're crack on a stick!
Old 01-24-2006, 03:50 PM

Our big splurges mostly revolve around ice cream. We are big ice cream lovers here. And every once in a while, I buy some beef, like a steak or a roast. I have iron absorption problems, and the occasional piece of beef helps keep up my iron stores.

I cannot afford to buy as much organic produce as I'd like, but I try to make sure and buy all our dairy and eggs in organic, because it's in animal products that the pesticides and chemicals build up, plus there's the hormone and antibiotic factors. When I buy meat, which as I said is only rarely, I also buy that organic free range. We're fortunate in being able to get locally raised beef, which is nice because I can see with my own eyes how the animals are being cared for.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
Old 01-24-2006, 04:39 PM

cherries! I love them, but they are so expensive when they are not in season.
Old 01-24-2006, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobs
My splurge is on those Whole Fruit orange and vanilla cream popsicles. They're crack on a stick!
I *Must* know more about these!

Where? How much? Are they like a creamsicle or like orange juice?

I'm drooling here.

Old 01-24-2006, 04:48 PM

Having about quadrupled our grocery budget (and added eating out money) in the last 5+ years makes me *know* that almost everything we buy is a luxury, but I *think* what I couldn't do without...

occasional chocolate for me
organic butter & cheese (cheese specficially for the kids, DP & I would eat non-organic if needs be)
fresh fruit year round

Old 01-24-2006, 05:44 PM

we splurge on garden on eatin tortilla chips (very yummy). I prefer to buy only organic produce, especially things that can not be peeled. we are cutting our grocery bill from 100 every week to 50-75 so we are cutting out some organic things we used to buy to keep in the budget.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

Old 01-24-2006, 06:01 PM

Organic milk, not really a splurge since we want dd drinking that only.

Only fair trade coffee beans which we roast on our own.

Only choice meats as well but they are all bought on sale.

the local store has a local bakery put their overstock donuts in the store- very yummy, all of us love them!! dd always says "Donuts for DAddy?" because he originally liked them but actaully all 3 of us do!!

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
Old 01-24-2006, 06:37 PM

We also splurge on salmon once a week (it's $10.00) but I still only spend ~$240/month all told, including Bellie's $26/month med. The other is Fig Newmans, my nursling is allergic to wheat, dairy, soy & eggs so those keep me from feeling deprived,

Liz

Wife, and mother to a small fairy, a demolition expert, a special new someone this fall and a small dachshund.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:12 PM

We splurge by buying almost all organic foods (our veggies are all through a coop though so we save $). We can't afford much in the way of convience foods because of buying organic. We do have tortilla chips around always which aren't essential but DH loves them. Very rarely we buy a pint of ice cream or a frozen organic meal. Nut butters, salmon, etc are things I would consider normal grocery items to us, but if we are lower on $ we definitely don't buy as much. If I can make it myself for cheaper or its not healthy then we usually don't buy it.

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

Old 01-24-2006, 08:22 PM

It's not really a splurge, but we just switched to organic milk and cheese, and it's easily twice as expensive. It's really important to us though, and we already only eat organic produce.

We rarely eat meat around here, so that's one thing I don't have to worry about the expense of organic.

I do splurge on ice cream and ice cream bars though. :
Old 01-24-2006, 10:32 PM

Spices. :

We'll give up going organic so that I can have the appropriate, culturally correct spices to cook with. It's to the point now where I have three different blends of the specific moroccan spice I use to cook with, eight kinds of curry powder, and my own spice grinder for when I don't like the ones that come ready made. DH cringes every time the Penzey's catalouge comes to the house.

... on the other hand, it DOES save us eating out a lot.

Spending all of my money and time on this wild, wild life.
Old 01-24-2006, 10:35 PM

Organic meats. I try to get teh best deal and watch for sales and we eat a lot of organic hamburger and I really stretch the chicken, but I just can't compromise. Also, all our produce and grains are organic. I buy local eggs and dairy which are grassfed, etc.

Birth Photographer mom to four blessings
Old 01-24-2006, 10:56 PM

I think the most important things to eat organic are animal products. We are doing all organic milk, and meat. I do get some cheese, but not always. Produce is teh same way, sometimes I"ll get organic, othertimes not. OUr local store doesnt even carry organic anything, so I have to go to Wal-Mart an hour away. That happens like very 2 months or so. I do get our regluar stuff from a co-op, so everything but the veggies I can get organic from there I do buy the frozen veggies organic more often, though. Fresh stuff just isn't feasable right now. I'm hoping to put in a garden this summer to get some organic produce, though!
Old 01-24-2006, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredX2
I *Must* know more about these!

Where? How much? Are they like a creamsicle or like orange juice?

I'm drooling here.

Oh they are heavenly! They are like frozen oj on the outside with creamy vanilla ice cream in the middle. I get them at Walmart (SHHHH!!! : ) for like 6/$3. We keep several boxes at a time. Crack I tell ya!

Edited to add they are made by Edy's.
Old 01-25-2006, 12:10 PM

I splurge on salmon as well. I try to stock the freezer when it's on sale but I'll buy it regardless. Pre-cut hash browns for Sunday breakfast, and ice cream.
Old 01-25-2006, 06:27 PM

Count me in on the wild-caught pacific salmon. It's the only animal flesh we eat and I have a disability that may be related to heavy metals. No Atlantic farmed for my family.

4 kids under 10
Old 01-25-2006, 08:37 PM

We buy almost everything organic; if there is an unsprayed or organic option that is what we buy. I don't think of that as splurging; I think of it as health insurance.

But there are a few convenience items that I splurge on, and would hate giving up even if the grocery budget was really tight. Plus there are some things I like, even though they are expensive.

Jarred crushed garlic
Jarred crushed ginger
Organic veggie broth
Canned beans for quick salads (I have reduced, but not eliminated, these)
Real maple syrup
Date sugar

Then there are the absolutely unnecessary treats; we don't buy them often and they could be eliminated:

Pure maple butter
Jarred specialty olives
Fair trade chocolate
Old 01-25-2006, 08:48 PM

Yes. I feel that perhaps - because I'm so picky - I shouldn't be on this forum. But money IS tight and I juggle the budget so I can afford our splurges.

All fruit and veg is organic. Free trade coffee. Organic nuts, grains, pulses, sugar, flour etc. I can't afford organic cheese, but all of our milk is organic too. We buy organic meat about 30% of the time. But I make *everything* from scratch except bread (which I used to and need to get back into doing it) - no frozen meals, packet mixes, pasta sauce, canned veggies or anything like that. I dry my own fruit for the kids to snack on, and the kids help me make jam/jelly. I asked my friends at our playgroup how much they spend on groceries (they don't buy organic and don't make anything for themselves) and our bills are about the same. If I splurged on organic premade meals, organic baked beans, organic pasta sauce etc our grocery bill would double (at least).

If I bought white name brand flour instead of organic wholemeal flour, and used powdered name brand milk powder instead of unhomogenised unpasteurised organic I'm sure I'd be able to cut our bill! It sucks that it's so expensive to eat healthily. I could buy a frozen pizza for $3, but I'd be worried about what we were putting into our bodies.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:58 PM

The best whole coffee beans I can find. I love myself some coffee.

Sabrina , mom to 4 fab kids!

Old 01-26-2006, 11:18 PM

hmmm....does the occasional pint of ben&jerry's count? (not that I would do that )....
Old 01-27-2006, 01:30 AM

Organic dairy is our main splurge right now.... now that dd is drinking more milk I just can't buy the regular stuff.... plus I think it tastes better so it's a treat for me too.
Old 01-27-2006, 02:13 AM

I don't consider Salmon a splurge bc I will buy it maybe twice a year when Cosco is having their seafood weeks and it is relatively cheap, very fresh, and freezes well. I freeze in in smallish single servings so that it really lasts.

My current big splurge is fresh, organic, out of season fruits. This is onyl bc I'm pg though. Usually I'd make do with frozen between seasons--an orchoard near my grandma sells foodservice-type packs of IQF fruits by the case twice a year for low prices. My grandma and aunts and I pool togehter to get some, although this year I was short of cahs so my aunt gave me a bunch as a b-day gift.

And always, nuts. I think the health benefits are worth the relative expense. Unsalted cashews, blanched almonds, and sometimes whole nuts. Love these and probably spend too much on them.
Old 01-27-2006, 02:18 AM

Oh, and this is generally not more expensive, but I do use granulated sugar...

The *only* sugar I will buy is Michigan grown and processed beet sugar. Doesn't matter if soemthing else is on sale, doesn't matter that I end up constantly stalking for sales and end up buying it twenty pounds at a time to avoid having to pay more for it, but I am very particular about this. Just trying to do my bit to keep the beet farmers in the Saginaw valley in business, and one of the few non-automotive related plants alive in an economically depressed area.

User Tag List