Homemade bread and an Introduction - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 01-24-2006, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I pulled out my breadmaker just now, and I was all excited to make some bread, but I have apparently lost my book that comes with it. It's an Oster from August 2003 (wow I suck for not using it sooner!) and I was wondering if anyone had some recipies they could share with me. Right now I only have white flour, but I will be getting some whole wheat flour on my next shopping trip. Thanks!

Kerry, loving wife to Pete, mama to DD (14) DS1 (9) DS2 (3) & Expecting someone new Jan 2013

#2 of 11 Old 01-24-2006, 10:56 PM - Thread Starter

I feel like I keep posting on here, and havn't introduced myself. I'm pretty new to mothering.com in general, although I have been recieving the magazine for years. I'm 20 years old, and a full time student living with my son and step-daughter. Their father and I split up in early November, so now the kids and I are living off a stuent loan that I need to make last. Kathleen's mother just started paying child support again (yay!) so that's an additional $50 a week, but I have no idea what there father will be contributing.
I have very little cooking experience, so we used to live off hamburger helper, but I just can't afford the meat or the boxes, so I'm desperately trying to figure out something new.
I've been really excited to read all the posts about how low everyone here can keep their grocery bills, and I'm trying desperately to be able to do the same. I wish I could afford Organic at some point, but it's not an option now.
I'll stop going on and on but I thought I'd just add a little hello to everyone!

Kerry, loving wife to Pete, mama to DD (14) DS1 (9) DS2 (3) & Expecting someone new Jan 2013

#3 of 11 Old 01-25-2006, 12:27 AM

You might be able to find the manual here:
http://www.oster.com/manualsearch.as...le=Breadmakers

It's been a while since I read my manual, but basically, I recall that the order that the ingredients go in is very important. Liquids, then dry stuff, then room temperature yeast.

Also, I got better results baking the bread in the oven - it seems to stay too moist in my breadmaker. But you'll probably save on electricity if the bread machine bakes well.

Good luck and glad to see you around!

Bridget. Momma to DD (4), expecting DS - 9/09, wife to SAHD. Gardener, coffee addict, urban dweller.
#4 of 11 Old 01-25-2006, 12:47 AM

Hi Kerry! I don't have any recipies for the breadmaker, I don't have one. But I wanted to say hi and encourage you that you can cook. If I can learn how to cook ANYONE can! I know everyone says that, but I used to be so horrible I almost burnt down my neighbors house trying to make macaroni and cheese! I went to college and my roommate didn't cook so I either had to learn how or starve (lol or live on fast food which isn't the best solution). After a few months I was pretty good at it. Now a year later I cook for people for parties and I always get lots of compliments. As for cooking on a budget, my DH always says that I cook better when theres no food in the house. Lots of times we will only have very basic ingredients on hand and I just start throwing stuff togeter. Usually making a soup that way is easiest. As long as you don't put together too many ingredients, no matter what you put in, it usually comes out good. Beans and potatoes are great cheap ingrediants to have. You can do almost anything with them.
#5 of 11 Old 01-25-2006, 02:22 PM

Hi Kerry! I don't have a breadmaker but there are tons of recipes on the All Recipes site. Here is a link to a search for break maker. http://search.allrecipes.com/recipe/...maker&lnkid=65

HTH
#6 of 11 Old 01-25-2006, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

I dug through a pile of old papers I had laying around and found my recipie book! So far I've made white bread, pizza dough, and there's potato bread in there cooking right now. I'm so excited!

#7 of 11 Old 01-25-2006, 03:56 PM

Hey, I'm happy for you!!

I luuuuurve my bread machine, and I find it really keeps our budget in check. When you get some whole wheat flour you can really go crazy making yummy and healthy recipes. Add a few herbs here, a little seeds or fruit there, maybe some cheese You don't even realize you're on a budget!

Between making our daily whole wheat loaf and making pizza crust, dinner rolls, coffee cakes, cinnamin rolls, cheesey breads, pretzels, bagels--wow! we get a lot of mileage out of our machine.

When I started looking for buy one get one free sales on yeast (in the jar) and flour, it was almost like eating for free! (btw, I kept excess flour in the freezer and never had a problem with bugs)

Have fun

My Etsy Shop
Acorn Dolls~Wool Felt Crowns~Children's Craft Kits~Shooting Stars~Dancing Fairy Rings~Come On Over and Play!
#8 of 11 Old 01-25-2006, 03:58 PM

I had a breadmaker once that was great but all the loaves were really wide and fat, not "sandwich-appropriate".

Does anyone know a brand and model that makes loaf-sized bread?

Or do you just have to use a loaf pan in the oven for that?
#9 of 11 Old 01-25-2006, 03:59 PM

Oh, by the way, another way our bread machine saves money is that I often make something in it to give as a gift. I made cinnamon rolls around the holidays (I give them unbaked, on a pie plate, so they can bake them and have fresh rolls for breakfast). They were a big hit. Also fresh bread as a hostess gift has gone over really well. A lot cheaper than a bottle of wine and just as thoughful!

My Etsy Shop
Acorn Dolls~Wool Felt Crowns~Children's Craft Kits~Shooting Stars~Dancing Fairy Rings~Come On Over and Play!
#10 of 11 Old 01-25-2006, 10:29 PM

*yummy* great inspiration! I will get baking

I have many cookbooks devoted to bread machine baking. my favorite loaf is a wh also made, whole wheat and occassional white. I have also made potato, rye, cinnamon, apple, pumpkin, and rolls. I need to bake more...

need a specific recipe? I have several pizza recipes as well...

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#11 of 11 Old 01-26-2006, 02:52 PM

i got my bread machine for christmas and i'm loving it! So far, we haven't gotten too fancy but i do have a bunch of those Bread Machine Cookbooks (i think there's like 6 volumes), passed on to me by my MIL. If you want me to look up any specific recipes I'd be happy to!
I haven't bought bread once in the last month and I just love the way the house smells when the bread is baking!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page