too frugal? just weird? what do you do with socks? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-27-2006, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was going through my sock drawer yesterday and realized I have a LOT of socks with holes in the bottoms. I was trying to think of what I could do with them instead of just throwing them out. There are only so many sock puppets one family needs, and we have enough cloth rags for wiping up spills, etc., that we don't really need any more. (Although cotton terry socks cut into rags work GREAT for cleaning up after messy toddler snacks!)

What do you do with worn-out socks? Or am I just insane for trying to find another use for these?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2006, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well, I have thought alot about this question, believe it or not. We toss them. My husband's are too stanky to clean anything. I mean, I live right near one of the homeless hangout areas in my city, and I wouldn't even subject those folks to them! I darn mine. I saved mismatched baby socks forever, but the only stupid ideas I came up with weren't worth the effort.
Old 01-27-2006, 12:18 PM

Cut 'em up and use them as cleaning rags (especially for icky areas--bathrooms, etc.)? That's my solution for everything!
Old 01-27-2006, 12:36 PM

I toss dh's, clean with some and give the rest to my two year old. She loves to play with socks and this way I don't have to worry about her losing any in her hiding spots.
Old 01-27-2006, 12:46 PM

I use dh's gym socks for dusting. Most other socks I just toss. I once raised the subject of darning worn socks. Dh threatened to divorce me if I tried. His mother used to do that, but wasn't very skilled at it, and dh and his brothers would get nasty blisters as a result.
Old 01-27-2006, 01:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hmm, we cut off the upper part (the ribbed part) and put them on our kids' arms as "sleeve protector" when they're handling very messy stuff. To be honest I wasn't thrilled about this but my grandma thought she's a genius to have found a use for those sock cuffs.

Mom to 2 beautiful autistic boys (12 & 11)  
Old 01-27-2006, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I generally toss old worn out socks. However, I have read that you can stitch a large piece of another decent sock (one without a mate - we all have those) onto the sole of the worn out sock and mend it in this way. I actually tried it once and it did work out pretty well. There were no hard lumpy bits to give blisters and my raggedy socks did have a certain charm. I have also read that you can use old socks as a mop head in one of those string mops. Again, I never tried it. That said, I have read of another way of darning socks: say "Darn these worn-out socks! and toss them in the trash!
Old 01-27-2006, 02:39 PM

I don't know how well this works, but I've heard you can cut across the "tube" part and make loops for weaving like the old potholders, but I think you make smaller things like coasters.

The loops could also be used for hair scrunchies.

If the foot part is cut off, and the rough end sewn, very young children could use them as leg warmers for their ballet or jazz dance dress-up.

Generally they are good for packing any breakables.
Old 01-27-2006, 03:34 PM

IMO they are clutter and out they go :

Though I do know that heavy socks with the foot cut out makes for great leg protectors for crawling babies.
Old 01-27-2006, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

Neat ideas, thanks! (And nice to know that while I might be a loony, as dh puts it, I'm not the only one!)

I especially like the idea of baby leg warmers. I can't believe I didn't think of that! I was *just* looking at some Baby Legs for dd, since it's winter and we're ECing.
Old 01-27-2006, 07:54 PM

use the ribbing for your own cheap "baby legs"

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
Old 01-27-2006, 11:58 PM

I used some advice from here (mdc not this forum) and some things online to learn to darn socks.

If they are not just like charlie browns costume from Halloween you might could do that.

I use a lightbulb instead of a darning egg..

I enjoy it though and it makes waiting rooms go faster
Old 01-28-2006, 01:22 AM

I toss them :

I saw a really cute project using baby socks on Martha Stewart. I can't remember if it was one of her Martha Stewart Living shows or if it was in her magazine. I'll try to look for it if anyone is interested.
Old 01-28-2006, 05:31 PM

Sometimes I seal the hole closed from the inside with duct tape, and then turn the sock right side out again and fill it with catnip, tie it shut, and then give it to my cats as a toy.

I usually keep mismatched socks, ones with the mate missing, and wear two mismatched ones on the days when I'm just at home with a toddler all day-- SHE doesn't care what I wear. I'm short on socks though. Somehow socks and underwear for me usually get last priority in budgeting.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
Old 01-29-2006, 12:27 AM

We have some rolled in balls as toys for the kids to throw around. Sometimes we use them as disposable rags, like if we're cleaning up grease or something really nasty, but I prefer bigger rags for that- I need ideas too.
Old 01-29-2006, 12:46 AM

Sock puppets for your kiddos.
Old 01-29-2006, 02:26 AM

You could always make a sock monkey.

Homeschooling, etsy-crafting Mama to spunky DD (12-04) and wife to DH.

Old 01-29-2006, 05:14 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I save the cotton terry socks if I need more rags at the time. If you have enough rags already, and don't need any sleeve protectors or "baby legs" then they're just clutter. Before throwing them out, you could offer them on freecycle (maybe somebody else in your area needs more rags?) or see if you can donate them to a place that shreds up old clothing to sell as fiber (some places do that, others resell intact clothes.)

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Old 01-29-2006, 05:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I made a cheapo pillow for my cat using a ratty old tee shirt cut into 2 rectangles and stuffed it with old socks and rags. I put it in his little basket bed and he's none the wiser. When it gets hairy and gross I'll probably just throw it out and make a new one. I've also used raggy stuff like this in my bunny hutch during the cold fall/spring months (I bring them inside in winter). They don't tend to eat cloth (some will and can choke), so I don't worry about them.
Old 01-29-2006, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthmama369
There are only so many sock puppets one family needs
:

That line just cracked me up for some reason!

Wow, MDC mamas are just so creative. I am amazed at all the uses for worn socks! (I'm especially impressed with the cat pillow idea. Alas, I do not have a cat.) I also saw a really cute craft using baby socks. But I don't think it's baby socks you are talking about. I actually mend ours. I don't have a darning egg, either. I just slip them over the end of an old plastic cup.

Besides the holes, are they in decent shape? I ask because, as a kindergarten teacher, I would love to have lots of socks to use as whiteboard and chalkboard erasers for the individual boards I have for my students. They can use the sock as an eraser and also a place to store the marker or chalk when it is not in use.

Maybe another family is in need of some sock puppets???

Proud mom to superhero.gifds2 (7/05), angel2.gif ds 1 (born into heaven at 38 weeks 11/03), and 5 more angels angel.gif (4/02) angel.gif (7/10) angel.gifangel.gif (11/10) angel.gif (11/12)

Old 01-30-2006, 06:48 PM

I've been darning wool socks forever but what kind of yarn do you use for 1) white gym socks and 2) other types of socks? I'd like to know how to darn those as they get worn, too.

I used to use a lightbulb, but I splurged and bought a sock darning tool with handle from Lehman's.
Old 01-30-2006, 09:27 PM

I usually use embroidery floss.
Though mine is missing right now its softer and more like the socks and it works through easily
Old 01-30-2006, 11:52 PM

Thanks! I never thought to use embroidery floss and they are cotton socks! Duh! Sometimes the simplest things escape me...
Old 01-31-2006, 02:57 AM

lol

it took me a lot of searching to find the recommendation for it!

it had taken me awhile to find darning instructions online at the time. All I kept getting was links for darning eggs and darning egg auctions..

User Tag List