My left over challenge - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 01-27-2006, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I want to go the store tommarow and by enough food to last 2 weeks but spend less then I normally spend on a weeks worth of food. I once did this and fed us for 12 days on $35. It is a "sick" frugal challenge. I was wondering what meals people make that eat better the next day or can be turned into some other meal.

Mom to Iris and Henry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 01-27-2006, 10:18 PM

A BIG pot of brown rice will go a long way. Add black beans, tomatoes, cheese, and make burritos. Or you can add broccoli, cheese, and other stuff to make a broccoli casserole (I put a little ranch dressing in mine, makes it yummy). Can throw it in chili. Or make a veggie stir fry. Even just add a scrambled egg and have fried rice for breakfast (one of my faves). Plus all these meals are cheap and easy. Anyways, that's just one idea.

A know that a lot of meat eaters will cook a whole chicken. The carcass can then be used for making stock, which then can help make more dinners on it's own. The meat can make all kinds of dinners or sandwiches. I like to use the dark meat for chicken and dumplings or homeade chicken noodle soup. A big casserole makes the meat stretch and so does a chicken pot pie.

Or I bake a billion potatoes and eat some with broccoli, cheese, other toppings, ect one night for dinner, maybe with some beans. Make hash browns with them either for breakfast or make breakfast for dinner featuring the hash browns and eggs or something. (To make yummy hash browns, I boil potatoes until just soft, then leave in the fridge overnight or until hard, the next morning I grate them and fry them in butter, add some house seasoning and you're good to go). The last of the potatoes can make a potato soup, just add cheese, maybe broccoli, make ham or bacon if you have it or eat it.

Oh boy, sorry to

Melaya (29) - Mom to Z (9) and soon to be I (due Nov 2013) stork-boy.gif

Birth mom to M (7), O (5), & C (2). winner.jpgnovaxnoIRC.giftriadadopt.jpg

#3 of 10 Old 01-27-2006, 10:21 PM

Mmm, good ideas! I'm subbing.
#4 of 10 Old 01-27-2006, 10:54 PM

you can do a lot with them
meatloaf, tvp burgers

mix with some ground turkey and make a ragu type sauce for spaghetti
#5 of 10 Old 01-27-2006, 11:03 PM

Fabulous ideas for using up rice! I just made a *ginormous* pot of rice and beans and have been wondering how to jazz it up to avoid "leftover fatigue." Doing it up with scrambled eggs tomorrow morning sounds perfect.
#6 of 10 Old 01-28-2006, 01:32 AM - Thread Starter

Oh these are great suggestions.

Mom to Iris and Henry
#7 of 10 Old 01-28-2006, 12:58 PM

I wanted to add that recently there was a whole thread about what to do with cooked ground beef, peppers, and onions. so if eat meat, that thread had lots of yummy suggestions!
#8 of 10 Old 01-28-2006, 02:33 PM

That was a great thread. It made me very hungry. No one else has any ideas or tips? I'm not even a good cook, so I want to see what other moms do.

:

Melaya (29) - Mom to Z (9) and soon to be I (due Nov 2013) stork-boy.gif

Birth mom to M (7), O (5), & C (2). winner.jpgnovaxnoIRC.giftriadadopt.jpg

#9 of 10 Old 01-28-2006, 04:02 PM

I usually make a big stew at the end of the week using up the veggies from other meals. Cook some beans to add to it for protein, a little flavoring, and serve with rolls or crackers. I make enough to freeze some for later.

My MIL uses leftover rice in a fried rice dish the next day. She will fry an onion, add some seasonings, and then stir the rice around in the frying pan. It's rather tasty!

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#10 of 10 Old 01-28-2006, 04:07 PM

I'd go with the brown rice too. Add a chopped up scrambled egg, soy sauce and peas one night for fried rice. Black beans and salsa another night in bowl. Add chicken to the black beans and salsa and put it in a burrito. I do the brocolli and cheese thing too (I"ll have to try the ranch dressing that sounds good!).

Do pasta too. Add marinara and garlic one night. Steamed brocolli and garlic another night.

Do you want lunches too? Canned fruit is cheaper than fresh sometimes so stock up. Serve with some inexpensive soup, like creamed mushroom or beans and bacon.

Make a few loaves of cheap bread to serve with each meal as well. We have a honey wheat recipe we use with our bread machine that I really like.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page