February NO SPENDING challenge! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 87 Old 01-31-2006, 12:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, I was a HUGE lurker on the January challenge thread, but completely unable to participate. I need real help this month and so I want something external to hold me accountable. I love this board and hope you all want to conquer the shortest month of the year! It should be easy...ha, ha, ha.

Birth Photographer mom to four blessings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 87 Old 01-31-2006, 01:09 AM

Hello Jentilla

I am here to join you. I'm looking forward to this. I talked to dh about it and he is totally onboard.
#3 of 87 Old 01-31-2006, 01:22 AM

Yeah! I'm so glad you started this thread!!

I did pretty good last month. I did order some new diapers for dd but she *needed* them b/c she was leaking out of her other ones. And on the 27th it was her bday and we ordered pizza and I bought her a nice wooden toy. My grandparents sent $ for her and asked me to buy something for her that is from them. On Saturday I went to Goodwill for their 1/2 off everything sale and bought my dd1's entire summer wardrobe (plus a pair of shorts for me) for $25! It's going to be in the 80s by the weekend, and her winter clothes are getting way too small.

This month I hope that we don't have many expenses. Just dh's bday, and we will probably go out to eat at reasonably priced Indian restaurant. That's about it I think. I can't believe how much I didn't spend last month!

My goal is to not spend more than $50-60/week for groceries. And no more trinkets and baubles just because they might be a good deal.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#4 of 87 Old 01-31-2006, 03:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Honestly, I don't want to not spend money. I like amazon.com, a lot. But we've got to get out budget back under control. So I'm in. It's only 28 days, right?

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
#5 of 87 Old 01-31-2006, 03:25 AM
Banned

count me in. i lurked in jan but was toast after a few days. forgot and spent money.
#6 of 87 Old 01-31-2006, 03:31 AM

Count me in too. We're probably going to be getting ready to move to a bigger place, and I'll need to get a tighter rein on things like visits to McD's and what not {we need to change that anyways}
#7 of 87 Old 01-31-2006, 09:32 AM

Me too. I lurked on January but so far today I've spent 50 GBP on stuff that's necessary, but seriously non-essential- baby shoes, nappy wraps, that kind of stuff.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#8 of 87 Old 01-31-2006, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

Great! I'm making a list of all the little things I need to pick up, like light bulbs, new shower liner, etc. I am in the midst of a major declutter this month so that should help. I do have dh's b-day, but he will get a Around the World 6-pack as his treat.The worst will be not taking ANY of the tax money for any wants, but since most is going to pay off consumer debt, I hope to be strong. Thanks for joining and here's to NO SPENDING!

#9 of 87 Old 01-31-2006, 12:14 PM

I'm in! My plan is keep the grocery bill down and NOT buy anything we don't NEED.
#10 of 87 Old 01-31-2006, 12:19 PM

I'm in too. I didn't do so well this last month at all : the last week or so I have been really doing good though. haven't bought anything that wasn't a necessity.

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#11 of 87 Old 01-31-2006, 12:52 PM

Hi everyone! I'm a huge lurker, and our money situation has gotten totally out of control! We have NO money and are using credit cards for "necessities." We make money, but spend it quickly.

So...how does this work? I assume bills and groceries are okay to pay (although I'd love to NOT pay anymore bills! ) Any other "rules?"

Thanks in advance for the support!

Julie, mom to 4-year-old twins who are sooooo easy to buy things for!

Julie, mom to my beautiful twin girls twins.gif

#12 of 87 Old 01-31-2006, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

The way I explained it to dh was no luxeries, which means only basics. This means you really have to think about what you think is a need. For example, today I am buying a new shower liner for one of the bathrooms. I have cleaned and cut this one for two years (it doesn't get used as often), but it now should be replaced. But I still do not consider this a need. I could wait it out longer or clean it again. See what I mean? If you ABSOLUTELY NEED it, like car repair, medical, food, bills, etc. than it's allowed.

The goal is to try and use our frugal brains as well and find another solution to the need. like realtives, friends, or freecycle. Also use frugal ways regarding groceries and prior commitments like a b-day or anniversary.
HTH's!

#13 of 87 Old 01-31-2006, 02:03 PM

Me! I'm in! For me it will be only paying bills, groceries (<$25 a week), medication/medical bills and gasoline (gotta get to work.)

No meals out or takeout. No ebay (sniffle.) No amazon. No miscellaneous shopping for kicks. I can do this!

crafty mama to Chloe and Emma (10/08) and Piper
emergency medicine PA and single mother by choice
#14 of 87 Old 01-31-2006, 02:23 PM

yup, I should be here. I've been SOOO good lately, but I bought a bunch of fabric in Jan and got derailed (it was a once in a lifetime store closing sale!! I folded!)

I just want to get our entire cc paid off by the end of spring..... maybe april or may. Between our tax refund and our regular income, if we are cheap it should be do-able.
#15 of 87 Old 01-31-2006, 05:01 PM

I'm SO in!

I couldn't join the january thread 'cause I knew that there were a bunch of things that I "needed" to buy that month. This month the only thing that is a non-essential that I need money for is valentines day. Has anyone else thought about that? My dh asked for $20 to spend and I'm just going to make something for him.

Sarah knit.gif married to Micah, mama to dd1 (9), dd2 (7) and ds (2). We love to homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif goorganic.jpgchicken3.gif
#16 of 87 Old 01-31-2006, 06:04 PM

Valentines day is a challenge. I'll make cookies for DH. It is also my birthday.

I can do this.

I am decluttering so I have some incentive to not buy anymore stuff. Lunches are my big problem. I'm a WOHM and I get lazy. :

Amy at Stone Fence Farm
:
#17 of 87 Old 01-31-2006, 07:52 PM

I'm in too! I'm going to really concentrate on getting that grocery bill down. It's pretty good already, but I want to use what we have and feed the freezer more, and really sock some bucks away this month.
#18 of 87 Old 01-31-2006, 08:32 PM

OK this is my plan for success

1.No new hair care products. I have 2 drawers full of differnt products that i buy use a few times then put away. (i'm a hair product Junky. )

2.To keep our grocery budget down i will use cash only and watch our portions. (don't eat it just because it's there)

3.I work at a restaurant where i have to clock in and out manually each day. Usually I end up losing about 3 hours a week due to leaving 20-30 minutes early some days. I will clock in and out at my scheduled time.

4.No new stupid cell phone rings and games for my phone.

5.I will not spend money just because it's a good deal.
#19 of 87 Old 01-31-2006, 08:43 PM

Oh dh will love this! I so want to do this! So I'm not spending money. I"m in a major declutter mode too. I'm beginning more formal homeschooling (waldorf style anywho) w/ DD next week. I don't really have it all, but we can make it a month w/ just simple things and nature and play. There are some books on my amazon list but I'll wait!

I have to make my bread today too. totally missed that this weekend. I so need to get better at groceries too so sticking to the list will definitely help. We're heading to Henry's after nap so maybe I can get some bulk to make us through it as well. Ummm so I'll shoot for $65 a week on groceries.

Other than that nothing! Ummm ? though, I do need to buy tickets to fly home in June. If I do find a deal, am I out?
#20 of 87 Old 01-31-2006, 08:52 PM

Ok I'm in. I also lurked on the January thread but couldn't quite make it happen.

The hardest part for us will be letting dh deal with groceries and meals once the baby arrives (yeah, my sig says 1/06 but apparently he wants to be a February baby). On the other hand, we'll be at home more and there will be less spur-of-the-moment purchases. Like when i'm out with dd and we grab a muffin or a smoothie.... a new coloring book... etc.

I'm probably going to need a couple new nursing bras but I think I have a little bit of store credit I can use for that.
#21 of 87 Old 01-31-2006, 10:37 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I am in! I made it all through January and bought NOTHING except food and gas! I am soooo proud of myself! Now, can I make it through February? I am making an exception for a couple of overdue birthday presents for some very dear friends, though. And we will be buying some primer paint for our newly sheetrocked walls. I hope that doesn't count! I am finding this spending only cash and not buying anything very freeing.
#22 of 87 Old 01-31-2006, 10:45 PM - Thread Starter

acystay- I think since that is a prior committement that requires planning you would still be in. It's not a luxury, you have to have a way to get there!

I've been cleaning out the cabinets and finding so much to use and sell so I won't be buying as much. We have all our cleaning products and I make most of the ones we use daily. I bought a double roll of tp for $2 at the $ store today so I think 8 regular rolls should do it even tough I pee all the time being pg!

I told dh no luxury items at the grocery, like chips or frozen pizza which he buys for way cheap. I want to keep the groceries at $35 per week this month, we have enough right now for at least a week or so.

My only worry is dh's b-day, he wants to go eat sushi and that usually ends up being pricey.

#23 of 87 Old 01-31-2006, 11:32 PM

Woo hoo!
I'm in
#24 of 87 Old 02-01-2006, 12:06 PM

Alright, it's been February for 9 hours now, and my nonessential spending total is....

$0.00!! Woo hoo! Only 28 days to go!

crafty mama to Chloe and Emma (10/08) and Piper
emergency medicine PA and single mother by choice
#25 of 87 Old 02-01-2006, 01:23 PM

I dreamed last night about buying cr@p on QVC . I never even do that anyways, but hey it was a good deal . We can shop in our sleep right?

Sarah knit.gif married to Micah, mama to dd1 (9), dd2 (7) and ds (2). We love to homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif goorganic.jpgchicken3.gif
#26 of 87 Old 02-01-2006, 01:43 PM

Starting off well....wanted to buy a coffee this morning...didn't.
#27 of 87 Old 02-01-2006, 02:04 PM

I am going to try this month. I did pretty good last month, but wasn't officially doing it. This month I am official.
#28 of 87 Old 02-01-2006, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

Okay. Made tea this morning and toasted a leftover waffle even though dd was up 3x's with her toddler nightmares and I have an 8 am French class I'm taking so I have to be awake and eat something early. We then went to Barnes and Noble to play on the train table, read new stories, and color.
We met a friend there and within and hour and a half the temp went from 42 to 52 and very sunny so it was warm enough for the park (unplanned). My friend wanted to grab some food and so I ended up using my birthday money for a small lunch for dd and a sandwich for me.

I feel bad, is using my b-day money which was a gift and not in our budget allowed? I thought so, but you guys can flame me. We had planned on coming home for lunch, but with the temp rise, I wanted to get dd out in the fresh air and exercise.

I spent a total of $10 of my b-day money and did 2 free activities with dd.

I really wanted to buy dd a picture dictionary today, but didn't.

#29 of 87 Old 02-01-2006, 05:55 PM

I'm in this month! I did really well in January until about half way through, but it made a huge difference even though it was only 2 weeks. This month is the real deal
#30 of 87 Old 02-01-2006, 08:05 PM

I'm in this month too. I have a few birthdays but all of the gifts except for dh's are already bought. We're getting a new freezer as a gift to each other anyway so I only need a card which I can make. I knew those $4.88 kids games I found on clearance would come in handy for all the birthday's dd goes to.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page