What DIDN'T you do today? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 34 Old 02-02-2006, 12:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This reminds me of the article Amy D. wrote about passive frugality.

I looked down at my light tan clogs and up at my grey shirt and I DIDN'T let myself think that I needed to buy new shoes to go with the shirt.

While on our walk I DIDN'T stop for a juice even though we were thirsty (and I thought about it); we walked through the little mall to a drinking fountain.

I DIDN'T drive to story time even though we were pressed for time.

I DIDN'T pay to have a bow put on the package that was wrapped free.

I DIDN'T spend $50 to save $5 at Target.
#2 of 34 Old 02-02-2006, 01:00 AM

I didn't spend any money today!

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#3 of 34 Old 02-02-2006, 01:30 AM

I didn't buy a new set of sheets for my dd's bed (they were cute, though). I didn't buy breadsticks at the store for supper, but made my own. I didn't stop at the Dollar General just because I had some time to kill before picking up the kiddos at school. Yay me!
#4 of 34 Old 02-02-2006, 01:44 AM

I didn't order DD new diaper covers, even though she will need them soon. I decided to look around for cheaper ones first.

I didn't go to the grocery store just because we are out of bananas. I will wait until I need a few more things.

I didn't buy any of the cute M&D toys at Marshall's. DD just got new toys for Christmas.

Homeschooling, etsy-crafting Mama to spunky DD (12-04) and wife to DH.

#5 of 34 Old 02-02-2006, 01:48 AM

I didn't take the bus to the Market - biked instead.

I didn't buy lunch there - bought a tea for me and snack for the babe, brought the rest from home.

Oops, I just realized I DIDN'T take the hummous out of the diaper bag... going to do that now.
#6 of 34 Old 02-02-2006, 03:04 AM

I didn't have my dh run to the store to buy me chocolate.

Sarah knit.gif married to Micah, mama to dd1 (9), dd2 (7) and ds (2). We love to homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif goorganic.jpgchicken3.gif
#7 of 34 Old 02-02-2006, 12:16 PM

I didn't spend any money yesterday.

I didn't stop for tea and a bagel on my way to work. I made tea and had a muffin from home instead.

I'm not going out for lunch. I brought leftovers instead.
#8 of 34 Old 02-02-2006, 03:51 PM

I didn't shower today....I'm an every other dayer.

DD and I are making goody bags for her b-day party out of stuff we already have instead of buying new.
#9 of 34 Old 02-02-2006, 04:04 PM

I didn't put laundry in the dryer - putting up the drying rack. (It has been a while due to rain & laziness!)

Yesterday I went to the food co-op to get "a few things" and actually got what I meant to. Did put it on the credit card but such is our current situation.

Also didn't shower today - even yesterday I had a meeting & I just put my hair back and put something nice-smelling on my skin. (More because I rain out of time that for frugal reasons, but nonetheless! :LOL

mb

p.s. RainbowSquidney - We have dd's bday coming up too... I should think ahead about how to do that creatively. Hmmm.

teapot2.GIF Mama to my sweet girls: notes.gif (2/02) and energy.gif (2/08) and brokenheart.gif 3/11 and now belly.gif  EDD 5/24/14
#10 of 34 Old 02-02-2006, 04:08 PM

I haven't gone to the thrift store even though I've been itching to go all week. I only need one thing (a winter coat for dd for next year) but I know that I'll buy a bunch of other stuff to go along with it so I'm putting it off until I have more self-control.

Man, I want to go to the thrift store.... :
#11 of 34 Old 02-02-2006, 04:21 PM

I cant play : I bought tea on-line today as we where out. BUT we dont drink soda any more
#12 of 34 Old 02-02-2006, 05:05 PM

I didn't go to the thrift store either...I wanted to go and get some old flannel to make ds some wipes...I used dh's old t-shirts instead...

I didn't buy myself a candy bar at the grocery store even though I REALLY wanted one...

I am not making supper...We are eating at the IL's

#13 of 34 Old 02-02-2006, 05:32 PM

I didn't stop at McDonald's for lunch. This is a terrible habit for us and it's one of our big barriers to living frugally. It's hard to get lunch made when I have a babe nursing all day and a 2 year old undoing every cleaning project I've done.
However, I did get coffee at the drive-thru this morning while driving DP to work.
#14 of 34 Old 02-02-2006, 05:57 PM

I didn't send DH out to pick something up for lunch even though I didn't want to cook

Jenn: WOHM to a big girl (7/03), a medium girl (8/07), and a little girl (12/10)
#15 of 34 Old 02-02-2006, 06:22 PM

I didn't stop at Wendy's for lunch. I had pre packed lunches for us to eat at the park instead.

Deb
#16 of 34 Old 02-02-2006, 07:36 PM

I didn't get a latte after the new mama's group, even though it was calling to be from across the parking lot.

I also didn't go to the mommy matinee of Memoirs of a Geisha today, we stayed in and watched something on DVD instead... which means that I didn't buy a treat at the movie either!
#17 of 34 Old 02-02-2006, 07:58 PM

I didn't shop for one weeks worth of groceries, I shopped for two instead.

I meal-planned, and bought ONLY what was on the list.

BTW, I love her articles. I think of that one often, along with another one, I can't remember the title, but something like "creative deprivation" or something. TOTALLY changed my perspective on child-rearing.
#18 of 34 Old 02-03-2006, 01:06 AM

I went to Target with DH and didn't buy anything but the one pack of underwear I needed that we went to buy. Six months into pg new underwear is definitely warranted

I didn't stop anywhere but midwives today even though they are in an area with lots of fun trendy coffeeshops and such. Instead I ate a healthy lunch beforehand at home.
#19 of 34 Old 02-03-2006, 12:27 PM

I DID NOT go out for Mexican food last night. Instead, I made enchiladas and fed the freezer with at least three more dinners.
#20 of 34 Old 02-03-2006, 02:20 PM

I didn't buy furniture today. Instead, I am waiting until the buy and sell paper comes out. Because i waited, we can pay cash instead of using our credit (we have very little furniture, exactly enough to seat 3 of us)
I didn't get take-out sushi last night, even though I was too sick to cook
I stopped at the less-expensive coffee shop for lunch yesterday, and got a cold slice of pizza for lunch instead of soup and a sandwich.
#21 of 34 Old 02-03-2006, 04:58 PM

I didn't spend any money again today! This is a new record for me. Oh...and I went to the grocery store for milk last night and I only bought milk. That NEVER happens.
#22 of 34 Old 02-03-2006, 06:56 PM

I didn't buy babyfood. Instead I got 50 some free jars off freecyle and made my own baby food.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#23 of 34 Old 02-03-2006, 07:49 PM

I didn't buy almond butter at TJ's today even though it was on my list....because it was SEVEN dollars a jar! Instead I am making some in my food processor with almonds I already have at home.

I didn't buy any baby/pregnancy books on the internet, instead I am going to the library tomorrow to see what they have first.
#24 of 34 Old 02-03-2006, 08:14 PM

I didn't spring for subs for dinner because I was tired, I came home and cooked.

I didn't buy myself breakfast and lunch at school yesterday (this is a big accomplishment for me, I get hungry, but their food is so expensive!)

I have only gone to te grocery store once in the past two or three weeks, we've been living off the pantry.

I refuse to set foot in a place that sells things, I know I'll just buy something that can wait.

Here's my confession: I did go and buy bunkbeds for the kids They need somewhere to sleep though! And I did get them onsale, so I feel slightly better about that.

Kerry, loving wife to Pete, mama to DD (14) DS1 (9) DS2 (3) & Expecting someone new Jan 2013

#25 of 34 Old 02-03-2006, 08:56 PM

I DIDN'T stop at the large thrift store on our way home from our walk, just the small one (and only spent .44 there--one book, one magazine, two keychains as gifts).

I also didn't stop in at the grocery store--we don't need anything but many things would have tempted me.

I didn't buy a mocha on the way home, even though I wanted one.

We walked on our errands instead of driving, even though it looked like rain.

Good thread idea!

Mom to DD1 (11/1999),  DD2 (07/2003), and DS (11/2012), all born at home and cloth diapered. 

#26 of 34 Old 02-03-2006, 09:13 PM

I didn't give in to dh wanting to get a pizza even though I was tired as well, but came home and made from scratch waffles and used up the last of the turkey bacon.

Birth Photographer mom to four blessings
#27 of 34 Old 02-04-2006, 02:47 AM

place though I have been wanting to try it out. I didn't grab fast food. I was soo tempted. I am in moderate pain and I have three sick people in the house URGH
I made pizza and ziti here instead

I didn't go and get the awful for me in so many ways black cherry vanilla coke....but I soo wanted to!
#28 of 34 Old 02-07-2006, 09:11 PM

I didn't fill up my gas tank even though it was almost empty - the gas was too expensive where I happened to be. I only bought $5, enough to get home to where my less expensive gas is. I'll try to get by on it until Friday...
#29 of 34 Old 02-07-2006, 09:17 PM

i didn't get gas in my van today, since my readout said I had like 20 miles left in the tank. I didn't stop at Starbucks on the way past like I wanted to. I went to Home Depot to get some paint chips to help determine the color of our nursery-to-be and got ONLY paint chips. They were free, of course. I went to visit an elderly man from church who can't get out anymore and took him left-overs from our dinner last night for lunch. Then I came home and made left-over left-overs for us for dinner.
#30 of 34 Old 02-07-2006, 09:31 PM

I didn't buy a chai latte today---even though I really really wanted one
I didn't pay for parking today--I walked 3 blocks from where I had to go and parked for free
I didn't buy anything off my list at Whole Foods today
I didn't let DH talk me into ordering pizza for dinner---we are having a stir fry instead that will use up old veggies
I didn't buy a pre-pak of tapioca from Whole Foods---will make from home tonight instead

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page