Strange question-Bisquick - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 02-03-2006, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a whole box of Bisquick mix that I'm not going to use because of the partially hydrogenated oil in it. I hate to just throw it away. Does anyone know of any non-food uses for it?

ETA: I also have some other unhealthy stuff lying around. If anyone knows of any other non food uses for anything else, please let me know. Thanks.
#2 of 23 Old 02-03-2006, 05:15 PM

maybe you could compost it?
#3 of 23 Old 02-03-2006, 06:34 PM

Is it opened? If not you could donate it. Or you could find a friend that wants it. I know you may not want to give other people unhealthy food either, but if it is stuff they eat anyway why not?

If not, maybe you could make a salt dough map with your kids. Usually it is just 1 part flour to 1 part salt and enough water added to make a stiff dough. Roll out into the shape of a map (let it dry) and paint it, draw things on it, etc. I am not sure if it would work with bisquick instead of flour though.
#4 of 23 Old 02-03-2006, 06:46 PM

Maybe you could just use this one box, and then never buy it again. I can understand want to avoid the hydrogenated oils, though.

One thing that Bisquick makes great is pancakes. Use the recipe on the back of the box. They turn out perfect every time, and have a really good texture and flavor to them. Every few months I make a big batch on a sunday morning--and make lots of different kinds...chocolate chip, banana, blueberry. I then freeze what we don't eat, because they thaw very well for quick breakfasts during the weekday mornings. My kids *love* pancake sundays.
#5 of 23 Old 02-03-2006, 08:58 PM

I agree with LisainCalifornia, though I can understand your wanting to stay away from it.

I love the Melt-in-your-mouth recipe on the back of the box. Those are the best pancakes I have ever tasted!
#6 of 23 Old 02-03-2006, 09:03 PM

How old is your baby?
We used a bunch of powdered milk that no one would eat/drink to play in. My son had a blast! A great rainy day activity and if he accidentally ae some it wasnt the end of the world!
You could do the same with bisquick.

Or like pp's said, donate it if it is unopened.

Amy
#7 of 23 Old 02-03-2006, 09:38 PM

A little OT... but we used to make the melt in your mouth recipe and then I stumbled on an easy to make homemade pancake recipe that I tweaked and we've never looked back. These pancakes are famous in my family.

If it's not open, that is EXACTLY the type of food our local food bank requests. They ask for margarine, lunch meat, hot dogs, white bread, pancake mix, syrup and a ton of stuff I don't usually buy.
#8 of 23 Old 02-04-2006, 12:20 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, it is opened. And it does make really good pancakes. I have thought about just using it up and never buying it again. That is what I'm doing with other food that we have. I am trying to phase out hydrogenated oils and I use Bisquick so little that I feel like we will be eating it forever if I don't get rid of it. But, sometimes I break down and buy junk food that isn't good for me anyway, so I guess it wouldn't be the end of the world if I just used it. My dd is 8mo, I don't know if she would like playing in it or not, but maybe I'll give it a try. Thanks for all the suggestions.
#9 of 23 Old 02-04-2006, 12:31 AM

I'm in the same situation with a 3/4 full gallon jug of concentrated Lysol that's been in my basement for a few years.

(Well... not the same situation exactly. I don't think it would make great pancakes. )
#10 of 23 Old 02-04-2006, 12:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
(Well... not the same situation exactly. I don't think it would make great pancakes. )
#11 of 23 Old 02-04-2006, 06:22 PM

I'd find someone IRL who wants to use it! A neighbor? Friend? Relative?
I had it, I'd give it to my mom the next time I see her. She loves the stuff! I've tried to teach her how to just *make* freaking pancakes, but she refuses to learn if it's not from a bisquick box. In fact, she couldn't understand why, when she went to a neighbor's house to borrow some when she ran out, that they laughed. She said, "Well, HOW do you make pancakes???". They said, "uhhh... with flour!" You'd think it was the first time she had heard such an absurdity. She had to call me long-distance to tell me her bisquick misfortune.

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#12 of 23 Old 02-04-2006, 11:16 PM

OT again... sorry!

Busybusymommy, that sounds so yummy! I think I'm going to give that a try. My kiddos are on a dairy free diet, so I will try replacing the buttermilk with rice milk. Any good recipes for waffles? Please tell me yes!
#13 of 23 Old 02-05-2006, 12:26 AM

:

It also makes really good cheddar garlic biscuits like they serve at red lobster.

:
#14 of 23 Old 02-05-2006, 11:53 AM

Well, I haven't branched out much in the way of waffles. I have one recipe from a recipe book but it needs tweaking methinks.

I need a wafflemaker that makes four waffles per heating session... my family eats them as fast as I make them and they don't last in the freezer very long since we eat them so fast!
#15 of 23 Old 02-06-2006, 07:37 AM

I love the cheddar garlic biscuits from the bisquick mix! I only recently read the box and saw the partially hydrogenated oil. So I will be discontinueing its use also... when this box is gone. I did some searchiing on the web and found several, homemade bisquick recipes. I was hoping to continue with my biscuit addiction. Does anyone have a bisquick replacement?
#16 of 23 Old 02-06-2006, 09:43 AM

I saw Bob's Red Mill Pancake and Waffle Mix in the ad for my health food store, I'm sure it wouldn't have any hydrog. oils. It might be like Bisquick? I love Bob's flours, the unbleached flour makes the best pizza dough (use the recipe on the bag).

I went to Red Lobster recently for the first time in forever and their biscuits were ! If anyone has a recipe for them, please post!
#17 of 23 Old 02-06-2006, 02:27 PM

There is a baking mix called Hodgson's Mill, which is made from stone ground whole wheat, and I'm pretty sure it has no hyd. oils.
#18 of 23 Old 02-12-2006, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amybw
:

It also makes really good cheddar garlic biscuits like they serve at red lobster.

:
YUMMY

Alicia DH Mike DS Gage Lola & Zeus Fishy Dishy, Charkey and Shark
RIP Sidney 1994-2010 RIP Charlie Brown 2008-2010
#19 of 23 Old 02-13-2006, 03:16 AM

This is my sub. recipe for biscquick. You'll need to find a non-hydrogenated shortening (I know they're out there)

6 cups sifted flour
3 Tablespoons baking powder
1Tablespoon salt
1 cup shortening

stir together dry ingredients. Cut in shortening thouroughly.

then I cut the recipes off my last box of bisquick and have never bought it again.

also the basic recipee for biscuits that I got when I got this mix recipee:

2 1/2 c. mix and 3/4 c milk bake ar 450 F for 12-15 minutes.
#20 of 23 Old 02-13-2006, 03:33 AM

...I haven't ever used these recipes but figured they fit the bill....

***Easy Fun Dough***

1 1/4 cups Bisquick
1/4 cup salt
1 tsp cream of tartar
1 cup water
1 tsp food colour

Mix Bisquick, salt and cream of tartar in a 4-cup microwavable measuring cup. Mix water and food colour. Stir coloured water into dry mixture, a little at a time, until all liquid is added.

Microwave uncovered on High 1 minute. Scrape mixture from side of cup and stir. Microwave uncovered 2 to 3 minutes longer, stirring every minute, until mixture almost forms a ball. Let dough stand uncovered about 3 minutes.

Place dough on surface sprinkled with Bisquick. Shape into a ball; knead about 1 minute or until smooth. (If dough is sticky, add 1 to 2 tbsp Bisquick.) Cool 15 minutes. Use dough to make shapes and designs. Store dough in tightly covered container in refrigerator.

Easy Fun Dough can also be baked like cookie dough to make Holiday Ornaments. Just follow these directions:

Heat oven to 225F. After kneading and cooling dough, roll dough about 1/8 inch thick on surface sprinkled with Bisquick. Cut out desired shapes with cook cutters or instead of rolling dough, shape dough into desired shapes. Make a hole in top of each ornament using end of plastic straw. Place on ungreased cookie sheet.

Bake 1 hour. Turn ornaments over. Bake 1 to 1 1/2 hours longer or until ornaments sound brittle when tapped.

Remove ornaments from cookie sheet with spatula to wire rack. Cool completely, about 1 hour. Tie ribbon or yarn through hole.

***Squeeze and Squiggle Paint***

1/3 cup Bisquick
1/4 cup salt
1/4 cup water
2 tablespoons tempera powder (any colour)
Glitter if desired

Stir Bisquick, salt, water and tempera powder until blended. Pour paint into plastic squeeze bottle with narrow opening. Repeat with different tempera powders to make more colours if desired.

Squeeze out designs onto paper or cardboard.

Immediately sprinkle glitter over paint. Let dry. Store paint in covered container at room temperature up to 5 days. Stir before using.

Steph~~momma to Rhys 2002, Niamh 2004, Isla 2007 and Deirdre 2009
#21 of 23 Old 02-13-2006, 12:30 PM

[QUOTE=busybusymomma]I saw Bob's Red Mill Pancake and Waffle Mix in the ad for my health food store, I'm sure it wouldn't have any hydrog. oils. It might be like Bisquick? I love Bob's flours, the unbleached flour makes the best pizza dough (use the recipe on the bag).QUOTE]
i just bought some of this last night ar the hfs. i hop to try it out this week...
#22 of 23 Old 02-15-2006, 08:51 PM

Bisquick subsitute:

9 C. flour
1/4 C. baking Powder
1 T. salt
2 C. shortening
Mix all igredients well, cut in shortening untill it looks like cornmeal. Store
in an air tight container at room temp.
#23 of 23 Old 02-19-2006, 06:43 AM

For shortening I use Spectrum Organic Shortening. It's made from 100% Organic Expeller Pressed Palm Oil. Sometime I'm also going to try substituting unrefined coconut oil as well, for something different.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page