Cash Only Living - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 48 Old 03-31-2006, 01:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been considering going from cash only for groceries and household to cash only for everything. I'm just curious how you would go about paying your utilities and rent and what-not. Do you driving around everywhere looking for pay stations or do you go purchase money orders?

Sarah knit.gif married to Micah, mama to dd1 (9), dd2 (7) and ds (2). We love to homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif goorganic.jpgchicken3.gif
#32 of 48 Old 03-31-2006, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Sarah... our bill money gets put in the checking account and is paid online. We only have cash in envelopes for things we would've used the debit card for.

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...
#33 of 48 Old 04-01-2006, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherdeg
Sarah... our bill money gets put in the checking account and is paid online. We only have cash in envelopes for things we would've used the debit card for.
This is what we do! It's awesome!
#34 of 48 Old 04-11-2006, 02:25 PM

We started out using cash for groceries, household exp, gas, etc but then went back to using our debit cards. Now we are going to go back to cash because withe the debit card it's just too easy to spend too much money.

We do have some higher balances on credit cards so we're going to take the change that we get when we use cash and accumulate that. Then every two weeks, we'll deposit it back into our checking account and use that to pay down our credit card balance or any other debit. We've been accumulating some change for a few weeks now and it's amazing how quickly it adds up! :0)
#35 of 48 Old 04-11-2006, 09:58 PM

we use only cash...we dont even have a checking or savings account. we use a budget for all the bills and spending and track all our spending in a notebook that i have with me at all times. hubby and i have an allowence for each week and that is for whatever we want, b/c everything from emergancy milk runs to gas in worked into our budget. we find that we dont overspend when we can see everything written out on paper.
#36 of 48 Old 04-12-2006, 12:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
we have a checking account but only put in money for bills. the money is directly withdrawn. we keep three emergancy checks (sometimes you can only pay a bill with a check- for example, parking ticket )

otherwise it is cash only. I have a prepaid credit card for stuff requiring a card and for convienience but it cuts me off if I don't have enough (unlike my check card which has a $5000 line of credit attatched to it). As in if I am one cent over I am denied.

My dh uses credit for the business but for home stuff its cash on teh barrel. we have a lto of debt to get out og and the first step is not getting into debt any more. for us that included the overdraft line on credit on our checking account. it was just too easy to dip into that.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#37 of 48 Old 04-16-2006, 12:06 AM

We kinda do cash only....all of our bills are paid online through the checking account. Each week we take out our "budget" and that money has to cover everything that isn't a bill....food, gas, toiletries, etc. We are swimming in bills : so our budget isn't too big, so normally it just goes to the essentials and each week I can buy one or two things that we have been needing but aren't essentials. So, we don't have an envelope system, I think that would be too restricting for us. Once we went to spending cash only (not saying here's how much we have for the week, use the debit card) we are really able to stick to the budget...once the cash is gone, it's gone. Lately I have been putting aside some of it at the beginning of the week and making do with less in order to build up a little emergency fund, since we are SO strapped that we have NO safety net

We have been trying to buy nothing (there are a couple of posts here about that) this month, and we were doing GREAT till dh's sandals broke and he needed new ones (we live in TX, and wearing anything but sandals in the summer is insane, IMHO ) but he got new ones for about $11, so that's good shopping and I am a good nag so I can easily tell him, no those are not for wearing to work, put them away, don't do this, etc so he keeps them nice a little longer. I swear, dh is like a child. But, he's doing so much better at actually respecting his stuff! Maybe that's because he isn't allowed to get anything unless I approve it (sounds sad, I know...but I really DON'T control him and MAYBE one day we will be out of debt )
#38 of 48 Old 04-16-2006, 03:33 AM

Just recently I've started a small home business for the purpose of raising funds to contribute to the opening and operating of a local Buddhist/yoga center.

But I had quite the quandry about sales (for both businesses) - take credit cards or cash-only. I finally decided I'd like to opt for cash or check only as a business person because I don't even want to participate helping people borrow money they don't really NEED to borrow.

Does that sound weird? I mean, I know it's the customer's choice, but I don't think many people are even aware they have a choice. I would feel awful if someone bought something on credit I even suspected they couldn't really afford at the time.
#39 of 48 Old 04-16-2006, 05:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
see the problem is all of my fun money (anything above my grocery money) is on a prepaid credit card (tied into my paypal account) and ocaisionally, like if I don't get to the bank to withdraw, I do have to use the check card. I generally am in the habit of not shopping at cash only stores just because I can't always shop there.

before we went to mostly cash only, we only used plastic. it was never credit but plastic all the same. I never carried cash. so I never shoppped at stores that didn't. I assumed it was because they were too cheap to cough up the 3% and wasn't willing to shop at a place who didn't want my business bad enough to accept my money if it came by way of plastic.

I understand your delima though. we offer same as cash fin ancing at our store. it feels so icky ut not only have our sales gone up about 60%-75% but when people are approved for the line of credit thier initial purchase also goes up considerably. it is the reason we can live debt free now but it still feels realy icky. (for the record we do not hold the debt. we are hooked up through a bank somewhere and they transfer the money to us instantly.)

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#40 of 48 Old 04-16-2006, 09:35 PM

Yeah, rabbithorns!!! I LOVE that you are helping raise money for a Buddhist temple/yoga center!! That's both noble and COOL!

I think you ought to say something about WHY you are not taking cc's b/c I think you are on to something by NOT taking them. You could do it really respectfully and say something about how you want to help people get out of and stay out of debt. If you do this, I would love to hear how you phrase it.
#41 of 48 Old 04-17-2006, 03:58 AM

We actually put everything on the credit card, we get rewards 5% cash back at grocery, drug, and gas stores. 1% everywhere else (you can cheat this and get 5% back at places like Home Depot by buying gift cards for them at grocery stores). Anyway, I actually find it easier to control my spending this way because I can go online and look at all my purchases. I can see exactly what I'm spending and what it is adding up to, without having to keep receipts (I have a good memory, so can remember items I bought each time just by looking at the store's name, anyway). Also, having it on the credit card has helped me a couple of times with disputes on items, and having it extend the warranty.

Like I said, I'm just the opposite, when I have cash, I spend it and couldn't tell you where it went.
#42 of 48 Old 04-18-2006, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ustasmom
Why is one with a MasterCard/Visa logo bad? We have that on our debit card and it still comes directly out of our checking account. However, it is a number that I can use when a cc number is required. They need not know that it comes out of the account.
Because it's too convenient, you can use it anywhere. If you have only a regular ATM card you have to decide if it's important enough to go the bank for and you end up spending less money.

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
#43 of 48 Old 04-22-2006, 04:49 PM

We're sorta cash-only. We do not use credit cards at all. Or purchase anything (except a house) on credit. We did get a mortage--the company just had to do the process manually instead of looking at credit scores. They looked at our income, and to see if we paid our utility bills on time in full.
We also have two houses paid for in cash. If it were up to me, I'd get rid of the mortgaged house and be completely debt free, but dh is more of a numbers guy and he disagrees.

Every pay period (two weeks), I take out $140 for our groceries and household expenses. I plan my menues and work over my shopping list really carefully, cutting what I don't need. It has worked really well.

Lately, though, I'm having trouble. I've been working on eating less and eating healthier, and apparently since I'm denying my body, my mind has decided it's time to shop instead of eat, and I'm having trouble saying 'No'. My "household" envelope is down to $3 and I've got 12 days to go until I can get more. Whoops! Hopefully I will have enough left after grocery shopping to get what I still need to get for the household.

For regular bills we use checks. And for gas we use the debit card. I feel like using the card for gas is OK, because just looking at the gas prices is enough to give one a heart attack and we're not likely to spend more at the pump using plastic over cash.

According to statistics (and Dave Ramsey) people spend quite a bit more using credit than debit. And more using debit than cash. That seems reasonable to me. Spending cash "hurts" more than using plastic, to me. I have to hold it, touch it, count it out, find change, and watch someone else take that money away from me. With the card we just swipe and go, and then look at our budget at the end of the month and say "Oh-oh!".
#44 of 48 Old 04-22-2006, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusannahM
We actually put everything on the credit card, we get rewards 5% cash back at grocery, drug, and gas stores. 1% everywhere else (you can cheat this and get 5% back at places like Home Depot by buying gift cards for them at grocery stores). Anyway, I actually find it easier to control my spending this way because I can go online and look at all my purchases. I can see exactly what I'm spending and what it is adding up to, without having to keep receipts (I have a good memory, so can remember items I bought each time just by looking at the store's name, anyway). Also, having it on the credit card has helped me a couple of times with disputes on items, and having it extend the warranty.

Like I said, I'm just the opposite, when I have cash, I spend it and couldn't tell you where it went.
That's me too.

If we overspend in one area, the money comes from another.

Mommy of 3 super charged kiddos
#45 of 48 Old 04-22-2006, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleOven
We aren't cash only, but we do not carry a balance. We use a credit card to get the points for rewards, but in the 3 years we've been married we haven't carried a balance, nor did we for years before we got married.
That's why we use the CC too.

It's really kept us on budget the last couple of months too, so just because I have the CC doesn't mean I use it when I'm not supposed to.

Besides, DH can see the CC bill and no where I've been! If I had cash I know I would spend it on stuff I'm not supposeds to. He doesn't feel he has to see what I've been spending on, but knowing he will keeps me in line.

I also have some fun money each week that is in cash, that's for me to spend how I like. When it's gone, it's gone.

#46 of 48 Old 04-23-2006, 07:00 PM

If you can control your spending, I think cash only is not the best way to go. Put everything on a reward cc that you pay off every month. Getting paid 1-5% on everything you buy and for bills that you can put on a CC only gives you more money in return. For us it equals and extra $500-600 a year.
#47 of 48 Old 04-24-2006, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistyB
If you can control your spending, I think cash only is not the best way to go. Put everything on a reward cc that you pay off every month. Getting paid 1-5% on everything you buy and for bills that you can put on a CC only gives you more money in return. For us it equals and extra $500-600 a year.
I disagree. Just because you are paying your balance in full each month (and have generally good money management skills) does not mean that you are not spending more than if you physically forked out the cash from you wallet. Dave Ramsey was stay that CC companies have done studies and people spend 15 to 30% more when they pay with credit cards. If you don't believe it try cash only for a couple of months and see if you see a difference.
#48 of 48 Old 04-24-2006, 11:50 AM

I think it really depends on the person. We can't and don't spend more with our CC because then we can't pay our bills. We figured out our budget based on DH's income (I'm a SAHM) and have our budget broken down into monthly and yearly expenses and several categories so I know exactly what I can spend. I'm very good about sticking to it.

It would be interesting to go cash only and see if it does make a difference.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page