Im tired of being poor and scraping by! I hate it - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-22-2006, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am sooo tired of being poor. We just are so poor that we can't even afford to buy groceries. It's getting that bad. I just don't get it. When we do buy food it doesn't last long. It's like it's gone in a flash.

I just feel like crap. My DD goes to public school now, and they are forever more doing something that I can't afford. At her Easter party they asked the kids to dress up in the Easter best, well I couldn't afford any "easter best" I didn't get ANY of her school pictures, didn't get to get her class picture even though she cried and begged for one, it was only $10! We are that pathetic!

Right now we have $6 to our name, we have a huge bag of rice, tons of pasta, milk, potatoes, and a few cans of corn. We have no cooking oil, butter, or sauces. That's it. I have to try to see if my mother has any food she can share, I know she will give us what she has, I just hope Im not taking from her because she is not that well off either (but more well off than us)

I try to do ALL things to cut cost, I cloth diaper, cloth wipes, cloth toilet paper, make my own laundry detergent, use vinegar/baking soda for shampoo. Buy ALL clothes from Goodwill or yard sales, all shoes there too. Never in my life bought new clothes. I only have 3 outfits to my name. We don't drive, so we don't use gas either.

Our rent is HIGH, it's all we have, we have been looking to move for months, can't. Our bills are high too. We don't have TV. We do have a phone but because my DD goes to public school I want to have a phone. She has life threatning peanut allergys, and I feel I must have a phone if something were to happen YK?

It just SUCKS! I don't like it. It leaves my dh and I feeling depressed alot. Of course we always borrow, we would never let our kids do without. But, even the foodbanks around here are getting hateful. They won't give you crap. They question you about a million things, and then finally say we can't help you. Even the churches turn us away.

It is just awful. Can anyone relate? Has anyone been in this situation and it got better? Is there hope?

(I wanted to add that we don't pay for internet, my dh went back to college awhile back and was given this computer for free through some kind of program where you can't get a free computer if your poor college student, we are using my sisters dial-up info, I just didn't want anyone to think that Im sitting here without when Im paying for high speed internet or cable internet or whatever it's called)

my kids are 10, 7, and 4. i'm due any day now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 04-22-2006, 05:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh mama I'm sorry.

I've done the scraping by thing. I was so down about it all the time. We could never do anything fun and we lived on rice and pasta.

I don't know your whole situation with your little one's, but I finally went out and got a job. I wanted to get out of debt and pay my bills off that hadn't been paid in months. I had a very unmotivated dh, now my ex-dh. He never really helped out around the house, was constantly between jobs and spent what extra money we had on drugs. I don't think your situation is that bad tho.

Kudos to you for being so frugal! You really are doing everything you can to save your family money! It sounds like you've done anything you can to cut corners. Is there any way you can bring extra income into the home? Watching other people's kids or things like that. You're already doing an awesome job. I really hope you can figure out your financial situation. Money just sucks period!

Meg
#3 of 3 Old 04-22-2006, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Please post in Frugality and Finances.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page