Creative, low-cost storage ideas - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 06-02-2006, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
turtle and I live in a 1000-square-foot cape cod that's really light on storage. This weekend, we're planning to hit some garage sales in search of bookshelves and other shelves to maximize the storage that we have, and tonight we're hitting the thrift and hardware stores for shelving and hook ideas.

Give me your best out-of-the-box storage ideas, please. Thanks!
#2 of 12 Old 06-02-2006, 11:22 AM

Hooks!!! I moved this weekend from a large three bedroom house to a very small two bedroom townhouse. I bought those command adhesive hooks (cause it's a rental and they remove easily) I used them in my kitchen for coffee cups, to hang up my pots and pans to create more room, to hang up pictures, I hung up some fruit baskets.

Also, if you have a way to hang them up, baskets on the wall are a great storage for lighter items.

Welcoming our twins :: born February 21, 2009 at 33 weeks! :
C-section due to pre-eclampsia and HELLP:
#3 of 12 Old 06-02-2006, 12:51 PM

Utilize the space under your bed, dresser, couch, etc.
#4 of 12 Old 06-02-2006, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkenny
Utilize the space under your bed, dresser, couch, etc.
shelving in the bathroom also

l, <>< wife to my sweetie, proud mama to 3 cubs, 2 who clw & 1 that i i ep for . baby was evicted early by induction due to severe pre-e/hellp syndrome
#5 of 12 Old 06-02-2006, 02:37 PM

We moved to a smaller house and have had to come up with some things.
The bathroom here is huge but with no storage so i put an old chest of drawers in there for alot of storage. We put shelves up in the laundry room over the washer. In the kitchen we have a large book shelf from walmart that cost 30 dollars and that has all the pantry things in it. We have a bookshelf in the living room that has movies and games in it. We also have a thing on the bathroom door that has like 5 hooks on it we are going to use for towels and robes. (gotta put that up today) got it for a buck at the dollar store. Our kitchen cabnits do not go all the way to to cealing so instead of putting decorations up there i put all the little kitchen appliances up there. We also us the back of our closets for storage in boxes. Howfully so of this will be helpfull for you.
#6 of 12 Old 06-02-2006, 06:00 PM

wicker baskets with lids looks oh so decorative but isn't.
I also like hanging storage on the back of closet doors, or shoe racks that hang on the back. I also love those hanging pockets for things (clear ones rock for the bathroom for bandbages etc)

8 might be enough
#7 of 12 Old 06-02-2006, 06:27 PM

In the master bedroom closet I've got a cedar chest filled with stuff. We store our shoes under the dressers, and I have the bed lifted up on risers for more storage space. In the kids closets I use plastic storage bins for outgrown clothes waiting for the next user, off season stuff, toying in rotation and general storage. There's lots of room under the baby's crib for small storage boxes too.

I put shelves above the washer/dryer for cleaning supply storage, and we keep tools under the bathroom sink cabinet. Over the door storage units are great for cookbooks, hats and mittens, shoes or even as a food pantry. There's enough room under the futon to store 2 folding chairs for extra seating when we have guests, and a small bookcase doubles as an endtable. We have fairly spacious bathrooms, so I use plastic drawer storage units there for odds and end things - I store my knitting and yarn supplies in the guest bathroom! If you look hard you can find shower curtains with pockets or you could make one yourself and have extra space for bathroom sundries.

Don't forget about the dead space between the wall and your appliances. Hang cup hooks or the like and easily store your brooms, mops and yardsticks. Get a hanging battery holder to keep track of the batteries and keep them out of your junk drawer.
#8 of 12 Old 06-02-2006, 06:40 PM

Foot stools that the top opens up for storage underneath
#9 of 12 Old 06-02-2006, 06:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think vertical storage is key. Shelves for sure, you could even take old milk crates/wooden boxes and mount them on the wall. I like those wooden accordian hooks (KWIM??) growing up my mom had one in the hallway to use for hats, I use one for our mugs, but they'd work for small bags, keys, and anything else little.

I've never had, but want to get a deep pull-out drawer for pots and pans and storage containers in our cupboards instead of sifting through to the back of th cupboard.

Hanging fruit baskets (you can even get metal ones from the dollar store)

Tha'ts all I got for now!

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

#10 of 12 Old 06-03-2006, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto l&a
Foot stools that the top opens up for storage underneath

oooo i like that idea!

wonde rhow long it'd take dh to make a couple?

l, <>< wife to my sweetie, proud mama to 3 cubs, 2 who clw & 1 that i i ep for . baby was evicted early by induction due to severe pre-e/hellp syndrome
#11 of 12 Old 06-03-2006, 01:14 PM

Hey...my 2 cents... I hang stuff, and rotate stuff...these are all great ideas. But (I have a big butt) I don't store anything under my bed. Bad Feng shui. Whatever you store under your bed creates energies when you are trying to sleep (i.e. a shoe box of bills and reciepts will create worry and nervousness) Try to keep where you sleep just that; where you sleep.

Namaste'

good witch
#12 of 12 Old 06-03-2006, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Y'all are brilliant!

One of those accordion things in on our list--we were hoping to find one at a garage sale or thrift store today, but we haven't yet. This morning, though, we picked up a nice wooden medicine cabinet (the glass on the door has been replaced with this cool-looking sheet metal) for $3 and we're going to mount it next to the refrigerator and use it for (surprise!) our medicines, which currently live in the cupboard above the stove (not perfect, I know).

And I was just at a thrift store where I found some wire racks that we can use in one of our closets or in the basement--they'll mount right to the wall.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page