What kind of pantry items can I store in my garage? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-08-2006, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We're working our way up to only having to grocery shop (minus perishables) once every 6 mos. ~ maybe even once a year. Anyway, I know lots of mamma's stock pretty significant amounts of food...

we have limited indoor pantry space & are wanting to put up shelves in the garage. Living in Texas, during the Summer our garage can swing in temp from 70-130degrees, sometimes in the same day. I'm concerned about ruining canned goods by subjecting them to the extreme temps.

Does anyone have any reccomendations about what I can store in the garage to free up space in the house? Any items that you thought would survive that didn't? I would hate to spend all that $$$ on food to have it ruined. With the humidity, do you think my TP/towels/paper goods would get soggy???

Thanks!
#2 of 6 Old 06-13-2006, 07:55 PM

We live in Virginia so it's not quite as hot but still very humid. We get the afternoon sun on the front of our house so the garage gets very hot. We've stored paper towels etc. out there and they've been fine. I THINK canned goods would be OK but I don't know for sure. I'm looking forward to hearing what others have to say.

Mom to (5) (9)
#3 of 6 Old 06-13-2006, 08:08 PM

canned goods will blow up - trust me . I've made that mistake before in South Texas.

I would think paper goods, rice, flour, boxed items {mac & cheese, etc} would be okay for a few months. You might want to call your local food bank processing location - I'd be willing to be they'd know!
#4 of 6 Old 06-14-2006, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotamidnight
canned goods will blow up - trust me . I've made that mistake before in South Texas.

I would think paper goods, rice, flour, boxed items {mac & cheese, etc} would be okay for a few months. You might want to call your local food bank processing location - I'd be willing to be they'd know!
WHOA! Blow up!?! Crazy!

As far as rice, flour, and other boxed items, I would really be worried about infestation. You'd really have to package them well, and maybe freeze most of it to kill weevils and all that.
#5 of 6 Old 06-14-2006, 09:24 AM

My plan for rice and other dry goods (though I haven't completely done it this way yet):

Freeze for a few days to kill anything living, then let sit out for (?) some short length of time to allow any eggs to hatch, then freeze for a few more days to kill those hatchlings before they lay new eggs.

Store in 5-gallon food buckets with locking lids. I just talked with the deli manager at our food co-op about getting some for free from him (yeah!)

I am planning to store these things in our garage where it gets hot and humid in the summer.

I worry a bit about brown rice going rancid, but I am planning to store dry beans, quinoa, millet, white rice, wheat berries, and cat food this way. I will buy them in large bulk bags and fill the buckets from those.

Are there spaces in your house where you could store canned goods - back of a closet, under the bed? That might make it possible for you to keep things in a way that they wouldn't explode. I think dried foods would keep better than canned or jarred.

I'm eager to hear other suggestions.

BTW, I grocery shop only about once a month...never imagined going 6 months, but I guess it's just another step along that continuum.
Good luck.

Amanda, mom to Everest (12), Alden (10-1/2), Ellery (7-1/2), & Avery (6)
#6 of 6 Old 06-14-2006, 11:06 AM

What about storing bulky kitchen items in the garage in favor of keeping food items in the house? I'm thinking crock pots, stock pots, serving platters--whatever you don't use regularly.

I like the idea of paper products out there, but I'd be leery of food items with those temperature swings, personally.

I also like the idea of checking with food pantries in your area--they're bound to know.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page