Fun Frugal Family Trips - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 06-12-2006, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We were just going through DH's vacatoin and realized he'll have a bunch of days left at the end of the year (and his companies policy is use it or lose it) so we were thinking we could take some long weekends and do some fun family things/trips. So I'm looking for ideas for some fun trips or whatnot we could do with our 3yo and 1yo that aren't terribly expensive. (We can spend some money, so feel free to throw out an idea even if its a little spendier than others)

The only problem is that we can't camp as we don't have the equipment for that and I'd really rather not do that with a crawling eating everything he finds one year old. I think we could plan a trip or two where we stay overnight in a cheap motel.

Any ideas? Share what you did on your frugal getaway!?

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 06-12-2006, 03:10 PM

Honestly go local, there is so much close by to you that you don't realise.
A one and three year old won't care how far you drive really.
Call the local fire department ask when they give tours things like that.

Do some things in your house declutter, paint a room, get some pictures hung of the kids art work (grab them some canvases and paints).

What about visiting people you know? (no motel
Renting/borrowing an RV for a long weekend?
OHHH the cheapest summer way to stay someplace go to the university residences I think last summer my dd and her father stayed at a big university for 30 dollars a night with a kitchenette.

Sometimes places have sleep overs, our zoo and science centre have sleep in the centre (cots).

And spread it out why not take one long weekend a month?
Pumpkin trip in October, etc.
also call the local tourist boards coupons for things rock.
check your airmiles for tickets, motels that's cheap if you have them.

8 might be enough
#3 of 8 Old 06-12-2006, 10:46 PM

check into stuff local like pp said.
Some things we do but please remember we live right on the lake. Spend the day at the lake even without a boat this can be very enjoyable. Find a beach pack a cooler and a umbrella and go to it.
Hiking trips If you have back packs you can put the kids in you can get a great workout while enjoying beautful senery.
Trips to the zoo.
Window shop in the stores in your own town and see what they have to offer.
If you are wanting to take a trip find someplace you wouldn't think of and go in their off season.
Some places we have visited with out runing out of alot of money.
Caves
horse rides
waterparks
old time living place parks (don't remember the name of it)
in arizona they had places you could go where the indians used to live in the side of the mountain.
#4 of 8 Old 06-12-2006, 11:18 PM

State parks are awesome. I grew up 30 minutes from one and my family went all the time in the summer. There was a lake for swimming, outdoor grills if you want to do a cookout, playground areas, nature trails, lots of space to just run around. They generally have campgrounds also, so if you have a way to borrow an RV or a tent, that could be a lot of fun for almost nothing.
#5 of 8 Old 06-13-2006, 06:38 AM

Check your library for travel guides to your area. You might be surprised at what's nearby that you, as a local, hadn't ever considered doing.

Have fun!
#6 of 8 Old 06-13-2006, 09:51 AM
Banned

you can usually rent an rv for about the cost of a hotel per night with a specific amount of miles, like a rental car.
#7 of 8 Old 06-13-2006, 03:28 PM

Check with your State (or neighboring State's) tourism sites. Most offer free vacation planners. It may give you some ideas of fun local things you didn't know about. As we frequently roadtrip with our pet, we stay at a lot of Motel 6. While they are not the most glamours, they are usually cheap and reliably clean. We are also a huge fan of National Parks and if you get a national park pass you can do them all for one yearly price. For example, we planned a trip in the southwest and you can hit Grand Canyon and Zion National in just a few hous drive from one another. We also try to plan vacations around visits to family or friends so we can see them and get in a little family exploration at the same time.

Gen
www.genstyleliving.com
#8 of 8 Old 06-14-2006, 08:14 PM

I know you said no camping, but several of the campgrounds in my area have yurts with electric outlets, wood floors and bunks to make everyone fit (or to put luggage up out of the way).
Check this out: http://www.thefamilytravelfiles.com/...rticles/23.asp
The Oregon coast is best in September.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page