Groceries: tax write-off? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 06-16-2006, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A friend of mine swears up and down that you can save all receipts for groceries (food, not non-food) and write them off on your taxes.

My husband says she's coo-coo, but she is a very smart woman and I can't believe she would say this so adamantly if it weren't true. I can't seem to find any reference to it online anywhere and I don't know where else to look.

So I've been saving all grocery receipts for almost a year now. They are piling up. My husband refuses to even look at them, saying its a ridiculous idea that they would be write-offs. We filed an extension on our taxes, so its not too late to use them if they really are a write-off.

Anyone know about this????

"If you only knew how many things I want to say and don't, you'd give me some credit."
#2 of 16 Old 06-16-2006, 04:20 PM

My DH's dad is an accountant and he would have told us if that were true. I believe the only food that is a tax writeoff is special food you have to buy for a medical reason (like gluten free food for Celiac disease), and only the part that is above what you would pay for a normal version of the food. At that point it's considered a medical expense, and it's only a writeoff if you itemize and it's above a certain percentage of your income. Other than that, food is not a tax writeoff unless you donated all of that food to charity.

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#3 of 16 Old 06-16-2006, 04:41 PM

I never heard of it. Wouldn't that be nice if it were true?
#4 of 16 Old 06-16-2006, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Obviously, for the entire year that I meticulously saved all grocery receipts, I certainly wanted to believe it!

I wonder what my friend is thinking...? Is it possible this is a Florida thing? I know so little about taxes.

"If you only knew how many things I want to say and don't, you'd give me some credit."
#5 of 16 Old 06-16-2006, 04:54 PM

You are allowed to write off your sales tax in states that don't have income tax and we saved receipts for that when we lived in WA. (but usually on the big things, besides there is no sales tax on most groceries?) Maybe she's getting that mixed up?

And its always possible its a state-specific law somewhere.

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
#6 of 16 Old 06-16-2006, 05:09 PM
Dar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymoo
besides there is no sales tax on most groceries?)
Only in some states. I'd never lived in a state that taxed groceries until I moved to Kansas, but apparently quite a few do. It's like food suddenly got 7% more expensive

I was thinking she meant the sales tax on the groceries, though.

dar

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#7 of 16 Old 06-16-2006, 05:12 PM

I'm an accountant. I agree with the previous poster, the only reason you could write it off is if it is a medical expense or it was donated to charity. I live in florida and they don't change sales tax on food items.

KHG Accounting : Tax , Accounting and Quickbooks services.
File your taxes online for FREE - 39.95. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
#8 of 16 Old 06-16-2006, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin'smom
I live in florida and they don't change sales tax on food items.
:
#9 of 16 Old 06-16-2006, 05:45 PM

wow, I live in AR and we have a 9% sales tax rate. I guess I just assumed everyone paid sales tax on groceries.
#10 of 16 Old 06-16-2006, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. I guess dh was right. Too bad! (Not too bad he was right... too bad I've saved these receipts for nothing!)

OK, so what about this writing off sales tax? Is that on all items?

#11 of 16 Old 06-16-2006, 05:47 PM

I think we (FL) pay taxes for things like alcoholic beverages. That's not considered a food item. It's nice to not have pay tax on food. I think it should be that way in all states. You need food to live. You shouldn't have to pay taxes on it.
#12 of 16 Old 06-16-2006, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleine Hexe
I think we (FL) pay taxes for things like alcoholic beverages. That's not considered a food item. It's nice to not have pay tax on food. I think it should be that way in all states. You need food to live. You shouldn't have to pay taxes on it.
I totally agree. Ya know, in Minnesota (and I don't know where else) you don't pay tax on clothing either.

I think there should be sales tax only on luxury items like cars over a certain price, fancy boats, mansions... that kind of thing. I mean, if the government isn't even going to spring for basic health care, they can at least let us keep what we do make so we can afford it.

#13 of 16 Old 06-16-2006, 08:12 PM
WNB

For 2005 and (I think) 2006, you are permitted to deduct EITHER the state and local income taxes paid OR the sales taxes paid from your income - not both. This only helps if you end up with enough deductions to exceed the standard deduction, but assuming you itemize, you can add "sales tax" to the list of deductions. Also, I believe the IRS lets you estimate the amount of sales tax based on where you live and your income.

I don't think Congress renewed this provision for 2007, and it might even be gone for 2006 already.
#14 of 16 Old 06-16-2006, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNB
For 2005 and (I think) 2006, you are permitted to deduct EITHER the state and local income taxes paid OR the sales taxes paid from your income - not both. This only helps if you end up with enough deductions to exceed the standard deduction, but assuming you itemize, you can add "sales tax" to the list of deductions. Also, I believe the IRS lets you estimate the amount of sales tax based on where you live and your income.

I don't think Congress renewed this provision for 2007, and it might even be gone for 2006 already.
Yeah, we lived in WA where there is no income tax, so obviously we deduced the sales tax. Now we live in MA with an income tax, so lucky us.

I guess I assumed no one charged sales tax on groceries, because it does seem riddiculous thing to do and both WA and MA (the two states I've lived in) don't charge it.

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
#15 of 16 Old 06-17-2006, 01:22 AM

When we lived in Kansas, there was a homestead and sales tax refund program for people under a certain income. This was a state tax program, not federal. . . .
#16 of 16 Old 06-17-2006, 06:42 PM

In addition to speciality food items (but generally not vitamins or supplements) if you are a business owner, or a freelancer you can write off 50% of the money you expend for entertaining clients or customers. You can also write off money that you spend on food while traveling.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page