No Spend July!!! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-13-2006, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It has been easy for me not to spend this month, because I have NO money.

I think my brakes need to be replaced, as well. (Not to mention "Back to School" is only a month and a half away!) Why do these things always happen when the funds are low?

Where do you "cut back" when it feels like there's nothing more to cut?

Visit www.evolutiontosimplicity.blogspot.com to follow my epic saga of single mummahood....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2006, 03:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think we are going to push much of "back to school" until late September when everything has been marked down. DS mostly needs pants (he has gotten tall since the end of cold weather last year) but will be able to wear summer clothes for at least the first month. Can you delay some of the "back to school" stuff until a bit later in the fall?

BJ
Barney & Ben
Old 07-13-2006, 05:39 PM

Check out craigslist, ebay, thrift shops, cosignment stores, and of course the TP here.

My mom would always wait until everything was on sale and then stock up for the following year. One time she bought boxes and boxes of paper that was on sale that she didn't need to buy paper for the next 5 years!
Old 07-13-2006, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

I never thought to hold off on the back to school purchases until late September.

My kids have nicer summer clothes that they could wear for the first little while, and my was-band has offered to buy them shoes. (They definately need new shoes for school; I make them wear out their school shoes in the summer, so by school time, the shoes are completely done in!)

I guess all they really NEED for school will be the actual school supplies (paper, pencils, crayons, et cetera) and I have a friend that works at Shop-ko. If I buy their supplies there, I can get her employee discount on top of the sale prices, so that should help.

And I figured out that if I can get to work just 1 hour earlier every day, I can add almost $200 to my monthly take-home. That should enough to buy a lot of their back to school stuff. ($100 in July - because the month is half over -+ $200 in August + $200 in September = $500 for school. )

Visit www.evolutiontosimplicity.blogspot.com to follow my epic saga of single mummahood....

Old 07-13-2006, 09:33 PM

I'll practice the rest of the month for August. Its my first time back to work in a while, and we've got a cc debt I HATE seeing over our heads. So far we've been doing good with no extra spendings this week. We'll see how the weekend fairs for us.

Aimee Blessed Momma to 4 amazing boys, P ~ 9 H ~ 7 J ~ 4 and B ~ 1.  Happily married to D Living my almost dream life on an urban homestead, hoping for our forever land to find us soon!

Old 07-13-2006, 10:58 PM

Well, I'm about to spend money. My younger DS needs shoes. He's outgrown his. Also I'm going to buy my friend something tomorrow. She has had a bad time and she deserves something nice.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:27 PM

i am enjoying reading these posts and gettings ideas!
Old 07-14-2006, 10:54 AM

Today is a no-spending day for me. With our second mortgage payment due on the first (this is a new thing for us) I feel like I need to seriously get my spending under control.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
Old 07-25-2006, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Oops. Our poor thread slipped to the second page. How is everyone doing this month?

I have been having an incredible month! I am so pleased, I am all giddy. Yes, I am a geek of ginormous proportions, but I get so hyped up about paying down debt.

I have always been the money master in our house and only recently have gotten dh on board. I asked him to read Dave Ramsey's book and he is finally getting it through his head that we are in a tight, no-spend period in our lives.

Dh is really good about living cheap most days of the week, but really blows it on the weekends and days off. He wants to go to the movies or out for breakfast. He wants to hire a babysitter and go out for expensive meals. Ack! What is the point of scrimping $0.35 on tuna fish if he blows $100 on a single meal?

Anyway, we finally had a terrific heart-to-heart and I explained all my fears about living with debt and we agreed on a living the next year in a state of extreme frugalness with the goal of having all of our non-mortgage debt paid off.

Hooray! I am so thrilled. I am starting to finally see some real progress. I have spent zilch in the past week other than the budgeted $100 for food and household goods. Where's the great-big-happy-grin smilie?

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

Old 07-26-2006, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

I have fallen off the frugality wagon...again! :

Why oh why can't I stick to my menu plans, rather than neglecting to put dinner in the Crock-Pot in the morning, thinking "I'll think of something quick to make after work..." and then being too tired to cook and spending $50 (this month so far) on take-away? Or leaving my lunch of leftovers at home and then having to spend $15 (this month so far) on, you guessed it, take-away!

The worst part about it is that I know I have expenses I need to save for. Plus, there are plenty of groceries in my cupboards - I don't even have to go to the supermarket, let alone call for take-away. (There's no excuse for my recent spending...just chalk it up to a lack of organization.) I just have to hide my chequebook (or give it to someone else for safekeeping). I can take out $100 cash every payday for groceries, get a cashier's cheque to pay my rent, and pay all of my other bills online. (Drastic times...)

Any advice on how to keep on track would be greatly appreciated!

Old 07-26-2006, 03:28 PM

Well, I have some "make do" items at work for lunches - I don't know if that would work for your situation. Cans of tuna, canned mandarin oranges, fruit salad, jar of peanut butter, (crackers until I ate those), soup, anything that can be stored at room temperature. It doesn't necessarily make for a great lunch, but it keeps me from running out for a $3 - $10 lunch.

As for dinners, I am not really one to give advice, since DH takes care of dinner. But we have a few contingency dinners - sausages from Costco in the freezer, waffles, omlettes, and assorted leftovers from the freezer.

Bridget. Momma to DD (4), expecting DS - 9/09, wife to SAHD. Gardener, coffee addict, urban dweller.
Old 07-26-2006, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydeParkB
Well, I have some "make do" items at work for lunches - I don't know if that would work for your situation. Cans of tuna, canned mandarin oranges, fruit salad, jar of peanut butter, (crackers until I ate those), soup, anything that can be stored at room temperature. It doesn't necessarily make for a great lunch, but it keeps me from running out for a $3 - $10 lunch...
That would work for lunch for me! (Now to rummage in the cupboards at home to find something suitable.) Plus, I would be motivated to remember my lunch if I knew that my alternative was "tin de jour" and not something yummy from the corner taco shop!

Regarding dinners: I think I'm going to try a modified "Once-a-Month-Cooking" method, and cook 5 days worth of meals on the week-end. (I have never been able to cook a full month's worth at once, but I think I can manage 5 days!) If I have meals prepared that just need to be baked for 30 minutes (or whatever) I won't be tempted to order in.

Old 07-28-2006, 01:19 AM

After almost two months of no spending I cracked. My DH sold his car and in the glee of having a bit of cash I went out to dinner, bought shoes/clothes for the boys (they needed the shoes but not the clothes) and shoes for myself. I so don't need shoes but it's a *major* weakness for me.
Old 07-29-2006, 01:08 AM

I am subbing so that I can be in the challenge for August. I am having *major* issues with spending--mainly linked to comfort spending, impulse buying, irrational sense of what a true "need" is. Do I "need" a grande vanilla bean frappaccino 3 x's a week? I think NOT! However, I manage to rationalize it everytime.

My spending is starting to hurt my marriage. luckily we are not in debt, I'm not like a freak on Oprah or anything, but the little purchases (7 dollars at Target, 15 dollars at the thrift store, 10 dollars at Wal-Mart---all month long) are adding up. I just can't seem to contain myself!

I've tried asking my dh to take away my CC (we charge everything and pay off the balance each month), I've tried asking him to do cash, but he says no, I need to learn responsibility. It's hard being the sahp because I seem to always be finding the needs day in and day out. Groceries, gas, toilet paper, deoderant, pet food, diapers : (I do cloth on days when we are at home a lot!!), etc. It's like I do have to spend money, but I seem to always tack on extra "goodies", hoping they will blend in with the whole total. (ie: a candy bar at the checkout when doing the weekly grocery shopping)

So, I mentioned to him about the whole "No Spend Challenge" and he laughed in my face (rightfully so) and I told him that I was going to do it!!

I am excited for August to arrive! I'm headed out of town this weekend for a week and ahalf, so the money spending will probably be a bit much with gas and food on the road and stuff, but I hope to try and tone it down from what I would normally spend.

So I glad I found this section in MDC!

treehugger.gif Bex -- Single, hardworking mama to reading.gif DS (11), love.gif DD (7), & flowerkitty.gif Lars (13)

User Tag List