Thrift store finds - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 91 Old 07-23-2006, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know we've had threads on this, but I can't find any of them and I just have to share!

Yesterday, I did my usual thrift-store circuit. My first stop was the PTO Thrift Store where they were having half off all clothing. Their infant/toddler stuff is mostly $.75, and I found an EUC Motherease M Diaper Cover.

Yes. For THIRTY SEVEN CENTS.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 91 Old 07-23-2006, 10:02 AM

Ace! I love sales like that!!!
#3 of 91 Old 07-23-2006, 02:20 PM

That rocks! I've never seen motherease in a thrift. I have gotten a couple of covers at thrifts, but my best recent thrift find was a pair of lion robeez for $2 (new in the pack w/reciept still inside!).
#4 of 91 Old 07-23-2006, 03:39 PM

Wow, those are some good ones!

Last week I got 4 pair of new "new" (not just new to me) jeans for 1.99. They fit perfectly. The brands were Coldwater Creek, two Jones New York, and I think the other was Liz Claiborne. Any way, they were the right weight and the right fit (straight leg), so I don't care about the brand.

Then the week before I bought a nursing textbook at the thrift store. It sold this week and I cleared about $50 on it after postage and insurance. That is a rare find, but it allowed me to buy something I wanted on ebay.

Bridget. Momma to DD (4), expecting DS - 9/09, wife to SAHD. Gardener, coffee addict, urban dweller.
#5 of 91 Old 07-24-2006, 12:25 AM - Thread Starter

mamimapster, nice find on the robeez! I found a pair of the monkeys in fair used condition for $4 a while back and I was thrilled!
#6 of 91 Old 07-24-2006, 12:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It wasn't at a thrift store but at a flea market type thing...I found a huge Discovery Toys wooden train track set with town and an extra set of railcars for only $10! And, a wooden shape sorter for $6. I was really stoked about those. But, my dd's aren't playing with the trainset, so I may ebay it.

student/sahm to three awesome girls who are always on the go!
#7 of 91 Old 07-24-2006, 06:50 PM
nmb

Congratulations to all! My best find so far has been a Bumbo seat for $5, labeled as a toy at a second-hand store.
#8 of 91 Old 07-24-2006, 07:35 PM

Last saturday, I found an er go at a yardsale :nana: Along with a M&D Magnetic Puzzle, and loads of gorgeous girls clothes for $1 each (Baby Lulu, Hanna, Cornelloki, Strasburg). Gotta love livin in a crunchy town where people have too much money to spend!

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#9 of 91 Old 07-24-2006, 09:06 PM

I found this today for $3

http://www.amazon.com/Krups-FND111-A...730214?ie=UTF8. It lists for $65 at krups, and $40 at amazon.

Also got 3 nice name brand shirts in like new condition for $5. Ive lost some weight so I need some new clothes.

I also saw an Emmanjuella (sp)? stroller, older. I wonder if it would get some $ on ebay, not sure if we are having another.
#10 of 91 Old 07-24-2006, 09:10 PM

I know this isnt thrift store, but I went to marshall's today and got 2 Zara shirts in the clearance rack for $3 and $7 each, total retail is $35 and 40. This are super soft, and they are a very good brand that will last me a while.

I also got some Ralph Lauren coasters, there were $4 and I got them because they look really cool and I needed them. The original price says $45 for them LOL!
#11 of 91 Old 07-25-2006, 11:56 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by root*children
Last saturday, I found an er go at a yardsale :nana: Along with a M&D Magnetic Puzzle, and loads of gorgeous girls clothes for $1 each (Baby Lulu, Hanna, Cornelloki, Strasburg). Gotta love livin in a crunchy town where people have too much money to spend!
What end of town do you find the good ones? Or am I just not digging deep enough?
#12 of 91 Old 07-25-2006, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormborn
What end of town do you find the good ones? Or am I just not digging deep enough?
No kidding! That was quite a garage sale!
#13 of 91 Old 07-25-2006, 03:20 PM

storm are you in Asheville? Well, I prefer yardsales in the neighborhoods that are more known for being family friendly... usually larger ranch homes, big yards, etc. They seem to produce the goods

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#14 of 91 Old 07-25-2006, 05:48 PM

I'm new here-I went by the thrift store today to drop some bags off and decided to go in. I found a really great preschool activities book-HUGE and full of ideas and activities. I paid $2 and it will probably sell for $25 online. If not, I'll just keep it and enjoy it, as I'm a pre-k teacher anyways!

Nicole

A supportive military wife and mama to my busy boy and sweet girl.
#15 of 91 Old 07-26-2006, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Mama!
It wasn't at a thrift store but at a flea market type thing...I found a huge Discovery Toys wooden train track set with town and an extra set of railcars for only $10! And, a wooden shape sorter for $6. I was really stoked about those. But, my dd's aren't playing with the trainset, so I may ebay it.
I don't want to brag but I just got a wooden train set with extra cars and track in a great wooden box for 2.50 at Goodwill. (It was 4.99 and half price) Thay didn't even have it with the toys. Iwas going to buy the box because it looked like an awesome toybox, then I lifted it and realized it was full! Now all I need is a super train table buy!!

Michelle, vegan mama to my two sweeties, L, 4/21/04 and C, 10/29/06 married to my Bryce for 20 years.

#16 of 91 Old 07-26-2006, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
LOL Even better!

I hear you on needing a train table now. I know my girls would play with the trainset if it was on a table. They get frustrated having to put it all together just to take it all apart again.

student/sahm to three awesome girls who are always on the go!
#17 of 91 Old 07-26-2006, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Mama!
LOL Even better!

I hear you on needing a train table now. I know my girls would play with the trainset if it was on a table. They get frustrated having to put it all together just to take it all apart again.
Yeah, same.
Also I need to find a way to 'sneak' it into the house before my dh notices there is another piece of furniture here....

Michelle, vegan mama to my two sweeties, L, 4/21/04 and C, 10/29/06 married to my Bryce for 20 years.

#18 of 91 Old 07-26-2006, 03:34 PM

Man, you all have had some great scores..who wants to shop for me now
#19 of 91 Old 07-26-2006, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Don't tempt me, andi.
#20 of 91 Old 07-27-2006, 12:01 AM

Today I got a full set (pillowcase, fitted, top) Pottery Barn kids flannel sheets for $2.50. They are still very soft, look brand new, it was 90 degrees outside but they will be great this winter, even better, they are the colors of my DD room. I was thrilled.
#21 of 91 Old 07-27-2006, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loomweaver
Now all I need is a super train table buy!!
I scored a Thomas the Tank Engine train table (with the two-sided top) for $20 at a "divorce liquidation" home sale recently. Plus they threw in the "Sodor Grain & Feed Station" for free!

Now I'm scouring consignments and yard sales for a roundhouse ...

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
#22 of 91 Old 07-27-2006, 12:26 AM
Lou

oh, an ERGO at a yard sale? we're all moving to Asheville!!

Once I found this $1 book on raising angora bunnies that sold for $90 on Amazon! Pretty good, eh?
#23 of 91 Old 07-27-2006, 09:23 AM
p.s

Things that quickly come to mind...
huge, full bag of Depends for $0.25 (for gm)
a Scandia Down quality down comforter for $7 (looked new)
Brita pitchers for $0.25
cashmere and other expensive sweaters (think boutique, Irish handknit, etc) for $3
my most useful find was probably the wooden laundry drying rack for $1 that I use everyday

But the best was when I was single and lived in a downtown condo, where most of the bldg occupants were either retired or busy professionals. I would always take a look in the garbage room when I dropped my trash down the chute. Some of the memorable finds:
king size down comforter in excellent condition,
large rubbermaid container of unused art supplies
picnic hamper
leather briefcase
expensive perfumes (which i would use a bathroom sprays)
clothes in excellent condition (which I brought to the thrift store and claimed the deduction)

All this is in contrast to the small Italian village we lived in where each family made one little bag of trash a day, and there was no such idea of thrift store since everything was used until it fell apart.
#24 of 91 Old 07-28-2006, 07:43 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by root*children
storm are you in Asheville? Well, I prefer yardsales in the neighborhoods that are more known for being family friendly... usually larger ranch homes, big yards, etc. They seem to produce the goods
HI from west Aville. I think that's it, I usually only notice yard sales when I'm walking so I don't get to different neighborhoods. Probably a good thing, I need to be HAVING a yard sale instead of bringing home more stuff I don't have room for.

IME the thrift stores around here aren't that great. I do have alot of trash finds to brag about though. Most recently dh scored me some old cast iron that cleaned up nicely.
#25 of 91 Old 07-28-2006, 10:13 AM

DH had a company dinner coming up and I found a Liz Claiborne dress at Goodwill for 3.99.
#26 of 91 Old 07-28-2006, 01:06 PM

Okay, storm... I'm in West Asheville too. I like to go yardsaling in East Asheville, tho, and if I have extra time I'll go in West Asheville, but just along Haywood (not on the other side of patton - they all suck), or north asheville via Merrimon or Charlotte. I found the ergo (price being withheld because you would all immediatly turn green with envy at the ridiculously cheap price) off Riceville road, which I usually wont' go that far into East Asheville (I usually only go as far as Haw Creek), but it was one posted on the Ashevillemamas yahoo group last week, and nearly all Ashevillemamas yardsales I've been to have been good

#27 of 91 Old 07-29-2006, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

Well, it's no $.37 diaper cover, but I found a VERY cute onesie on my circuit today--posted a photo of it on my blog. Not a steal, but too cute to pass up!
#28 of 91 Old 07-29-2006, 10:35 PM

today we scored a beautiful first edition children's book for dd for $0.25

and I'm really really hoping that there'll be some great finds at a garage sale we're going to tomorrow...
#29 of 91 Old 08-03-2006, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

BBB, any good stuff at that garage sale?

So, you know that totally cute onesie I found last weekend? We found a similar one yesterday (same brand, same technique, but with a lion) for sale for $20.
#30 of 91 Old 08-03-2006, 07:08 PM

That is SO cute frog!! I love batiking! My friend just found a whole batiked dress for a toddler at a yardsale for 50 cents! I wish I could find some batiked shirts for boys (larger than toddler!)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page