A Little Early... DIY Christmas Presents - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 177 Old 09-01-2006, 01:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I made this scrub for myself and I loved it! I made it for a friend and haven't heard back if she liked it or not!

Here's the recipe:

1/2 cup coffee grounds from a freshly brewed pot
1 cup turbinado sugar
1/4 cup olive oil
10 drops peppermint EO
1 tbsp vanilla extract (I don't think this really adds anything, so I leave it out)

Mix all together in a bowl and that's it!!

The instructions: Start with your feet and work up, paying special attention to areas such as knees and elbows. This has oil, so you may want to use it on a non-stick surface (like a rubber bath mat). Wash off with your favorite soap and you will be awake and soft all day long!

This smells AWESOME from the vanilla and makes you SOOO soft!

I was thinking of making this scrub and either making (prob not) or buying some sort of body wash and putting those together with one of those bath poufs (which I suppose you could also make). That seems like a nice gift, right? I was going to do that and add a gift cert for a massage (I know a woman who does them in her home for cheap!!) for my dcp.
#62 of 177 Old 09-01-2006, 09:05 PM

For all the grandparents/greatgrandparents....6 sets due to divorce
I made a beautiful collage....took some pics I had of dd with dig camera....many on beach, one of her playing ballerina in a tu-tu, one good face shot.....printed them in black and white ....put in a collage frame(10 at walgreens)
It looked great...and I have seen smaller frames for less at Dollatr type stores
#63 of 177 Old 09-01-2006, 10:48 PM

subbing
#64 of 177 Old 09-02-2006, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm planning to make a fabric puppet theater that hangs in a doorway. There's one for sale in MagicCabin.com that is similar to what I'm envisioning.

Lots of great ideas here!
#65 of 177 Old 09-02-2006, 03:25 PM

subbing...

WeeWonderfuls.com has some very easy to sew patterns for kiddos gifts. I am not a superior seamtress but the bunny pattern took me only about an hour from start to finish and everyone thinks they are super cute.
#66 of 177 Old 09-02-2006, 11:29 PM

*ETA: Updated ideas now that I've looked up recipes and actually placed an order.*

Between dh and I, we have a *lot* of family. With two kiddos and limited time, we're joining the ranks of the "older" generations and switching to getting mostly cards for a lot of people and gifts only for the kiddos and close family and friends. But that still leaves, oh, 32 people to shop for! So far I'm thinking:

Women:
lavender pillows
tea
bath herbs

Men:
forest-scented soap
tea
after-shave balm

Kiddos:
sleep pillows
plus some small toys (I work at a baby boutique, so I can get neat toys at the "employee discount" price)

gender neutral additions:
incense
sage bundles
soothing foot lotion

The vague idea is to combo these into gift baskets customized to the recipient. Mostly inspired by my new Mountain Rose Herbs catalogue.

The bulk ingredients add up to about $180, but when you divide it down, that's under $6/person. Not bad for that big a gift list and way less than we usually spend!

--The total once I added the other ideas came to $260, which, divided by 32, works out to about $8/person. Sweet.
#67 of 177 Old 09-04-2006, 03:14 AM

subbing & :
#68 of 177 Old 09-04-2006, 04:27 PM

subbing
#69 of 177 Old 09-04-2006, 06:35 PM

I'm thinking of making a few dinners for the freezer for my brother who works a million hours a week and complains about not having any "real dinners" and for my MIL who doesn't think it's worth cooking for herself. I'll just make dinner "kits" for the freezer with cooking directions so they don't have to do much except throw it together a la Dream Dinners.
#70 of 177 Old 09-04-2006, 10:23 PM
Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by msjd123
I'm thinking of making a few dinners for the freezer for my brother who works a million hours a week and complains about not having any "real dinners" and for my MIL who doesn't think it's worth cooking for herself. I'll just make dinner "kits" for the freezer with cooking directions so they don't have to do much except throw it together a la Dream Dinners.
I used to make my mom meals alot. I simply 'invited' her to dinner once a weeek....she can't come, since she lives 100 miles away, is elderly and can't drive. I just grabbed some small, Ziploc dishes, (For the bro, make 'em big ones!) and fixed her meal from whatever I'd have made if she WERE really coming. I did one a week or so and drove her a bunch at one time.

She swears you can micro anything! Things I thought looked good...meat-based casseroles, brown rice looks like it lasts through the freezing and thawing well, chili, fried chicken. I used to write the directions right on top, or around the side, so they didn't get lost.
#71 of 177 Old 09-04-2006, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzy
Here's one that would be fantastic if you can act fast to use the coupon before it expires.

On a frugal blog (Want Not), I found this link.

http://www.canvasondemand.com/promo/Moms/

The link below provides you with a $59 (yes, fifty-nine dollar!) coupon that can be used on any of the photo canvases at Canvas On Demand. They take digital photos and print them on canvas as wall art. (Their 8x10 basic canvas is $59, by the way-- so you could just pay shipping and get a great gift almost for free.)

The website is not cheap, but the coupon makes it doable for me.

wedding photos... old family photos... new baby photos... whole-family shots... vacation scenery...

for your husband's office... your own home... your son/daughter's room... your parents...

the possibilities are endless.

I haven't decided who'll get the photo I'm going to have done of our new daughter, but I can't wait to see how it turns out.
This is a really good idea! Shipping for ground is only $15! A canvas for $15 is a freaking steal. I'm pining... If I were to do this though, it'd be of DD at her 2nd birthday. We'd hang it in her room for her *big* deal xmas gift. (She's two though so I'm not sure how much she'd appreciate it... )

GREAT MOM to dd (5) and )ds( [sept 26 2006]
#72 of 177 Old 09-04-2006, 11:19 PM
Red

I think it's more a present for you, than her.
#73 of 177 Old 09-04-2006, 11:24 PM

:
#74 of 177 Old 09-04-2006, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red
I think it's more a present for you, than her.
yeah your probably right... maybe I shouldn't since DH and I already agreed on not getting eachother presents this year cause we can't afford it. I shouldn't spend DD's xmas present money on me and pretend it's for her... :

GREAT MOM to dd (5) and )ds( [sept 26 2006]
#75 of 177 Old 09-05-2006, 12:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Those are all really wonderful ideas. I especially like the bath oils and the ribbon with the picture frames. I think I may do the ribbon picture frame thing for the grandparents. How do you attach the frames to the ribbon? Some kind of glue?
If you're doing small wooden frames, which I am, a glue gun works.
#76 of 177 Old 09-05-2006, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambrose
yeah your probably right... maybe I shouldn't since DH and I already agreed on not getting eachother presents this year cause we can't afford it. I shouldn't spend DD's xmas present money on me and pretend it's for her... :
It could be a present for a grandmother that would eventually come back to your dd. However, I don't think there is anything wrong with spending some of your dd's Christmas money on a keepsake that she'll have forever. You could wrap it with the outfit from the picture and tell her she can take a similar picture of her dc one day...just a thought....

I went to the site and got carried away with the retouching, etc. and was going to owe 40 something dollars for an 8x10! Had to cancel since I remembered I'm in the no spend Sept. club! That was close...
#77 of 177 Old 09-08-2006, 10:34 PM

I am still looking for ideas. especially for the men. I thought I might do fleece blankets and jars of spiced nuts..guess I'm just looking for something more exciting though

for all the kids I am making felt ball sets with a drawstring bag.

I would also like to do some sort of handprint/footprint type craft for everyone from the kiddos. looking for something unique.

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#78 of 177 Old 09-09-2006, 12:20 PM

I'm going to get those little plastic 12 picture albums from a drugstore (they cost about a buck a piece) and take pictures of DS's regular day - waking up, chasing the kitty, eating breakfast in his high chair, etc.) and write a few sentences to go with each picture (kind of telling a story). I'm going to send these to aunts and uncles who have never met him, and cousins, etc. I think each one will cost about $3-4 and will spread some good holiday cheer I hope.

I'm also doing the frozen meal idea for the in-laws; my MIL is very "sick" and regularly stops getting out of bed for a week or so at a time, so some good meals for my FIL to come home to would really make him happy.
#79 of 177 Old 09-09-2006, 09:59 PM

I'm trying to plan ahead with a new baby on the way in early December, and DS's bday isn't long after Christmas. Here are my ideas, but they probably won't all get done!

I'm going to try to make a handpainted playmat along the lines of the ones at www.motherhues.com (I may order one of her litttle pocket sets as a stocking stuffer though). I broke out the acrylic paints the other night and painted a scene on paper to get a feel for it, and I have some wool felt that I will paint on (hopefully). I may also needle felt some things to go with it (little mushrooms, a cave, etc.)

I *think* DS's big gift will be playstands, made by DH and/or my dad. Not super cheap but not terribly expensive. I'm hoping it actually happens! I may ask my dad to attempt tree blocks for DS.

I also want to make DS some beanbags.

This may be used as a gift for after baby arrives, etc. (when things keep coming in the mail for the baby and DS gets jealous ) but I also thought about making some little placemats out of fabric (I don't sew well but this shouldn't be difficult) and using fabric paint to outline spots for knife, fork, spoon on them, since he seems to like helping with adult type chores now. He's very into his play kitchen and we've played restaurant a few times recently, so I thought he might like that. I also considered making them just laminated paper. Along those lines, I also thought about making some little "menus," hopefully laminated, but with pics of various foods inside or something. He's 2.5 now and his pretend play has really taken off, so I'm thinking when he's closer to 3 at the holidays, he may be into that sort of thing.
#80 of 177 Old 09-10-2006, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowmoon
I thought I might do fleece blankets and jars of spiced nuts..guess I'm just looking for something more exciting though
My dad LOVES nuts. Do you have a recipe for the spiced nuts that you could share?

TIA!
#81 of 177 Old 09-10-2006, 10:14 PM

great ideas, hopefully i'll come up with some to share, thank you all!

Sarah-wife, mother, doula, and teacher.
#82 of 177 Old 09-10-2006, 10:39 PM

here's the recipe..I plan to use a mix of nuts though..cashews,peanuts,walnuts & pecans..

http://holiday.allrecipes.com/az/MicrwvSpicdNts.asp

#83 of 177 Old 09-10-2006, 10:46 PM

I want to share!!

my dad is going to make DDs a doll bed. It's a very simple design... two end peices that are cut to rock , and sides, and a bottom.

I was thinking of making them waldorfy dolls, but I think I'll wait till they are older.

I have forgotten what else I thought of that wasn't on this list.. I'll have to think about it some more.:

#84 of 177 Old 09-10-2006, 10:49 PM

:
#85 of 177 Old 09-10-2006, 11:42 PM

I'm not the craftiest gal around but I am going to make my DD some animal costume stuff--some ears and a couple of tails. She's 2.5 and loves being animals so I think it'll be cool. Especially the tails.
#86 of 177 Old 09-11-2006, 04:53 PM

I repotted a gifted aloe vera plant into the pot with my aloe vera. (I'm going for a one-pot aloe vera jungle. )

In the gifted pot, there were several (12 ish) baby aloe vera plants that I carefully repotted into tea cups (complete with matching saucers) that someone gave me that I never use. (I'm more the "big-ceramic-cuppa" type than the "dainty-cup-and-saucer" type.) I'm hoping that they grow well so that I can give them to some of our teachers for Christmas!

Talking of teachers' gifts, does anyone have any "make in a Mason jar" mix recipes? I have tons of Mason jars (don't ask ) and I would love to do this as a gift, since it would be relatively inexpensive, and help me clear out my clutter at the same time.

Visit www.evolutiontosimplicity.blogspot.com to follow my epic saga of single mummahood....

#87 of 177 Old 09-11-2006, 04:59 PM

kathirynne -good idea on the aloe!

here is a link with hundreds of gift in a jar recipes
http://www.recipegoldmine.com/foodgift/foodgift.html

#88 of 177 Old 09-11-2006, 06:26 PM

Okay mamas, you've inspired me!

We are Catholic and dd2 is absolutely fascinated with Mother Mary. I'm going to make her her own Mary doll for Christmas.

Now, while this all sounds good in theory, the fact is: I can't sew. I did make a Waldorf-y type doll when I was in the third grade though.

I'm going to try to do the whole thing by hand and well . . . see what I come up with.
#89 of 177 Old 09-12-2006, 07:22 PM

Not DIY, but a cheap idea: scour the thrift stores and the Trading Post here for gifts that are new with tags or new in the package for some great deals - good for those picky people on your list who look down on homemade stuff or for stuff to put in gift baskets!!
#90 of 177 Old 09-17-2006, 07:46 PM

:

At our house we love to make gifts of handprint art. It works great because little ones get involved, and everyone loves to get them because they are so personalized. just use paint or a stamppad, then when they are done you can draw the details on with a permanant marker (sometimes a poem works well too- like "and he was still hungry..." a line from the very hungry caterpiller, with toe print caterpillers and drawn on little wiggle marks) Sometimes we just put them in a dollar store frame and are done. you can also do the handprints with fabric paint on cloth and make bags, or wall hangings, t-shirts, blankets, ect. We even did a calender one year with a different art for each month. It was awsome. tons of sites out there with handprint/ footprint/ thumbprint art ideas.

Unschooling Mommy of 3: Lilith (14), Panda (6), and Fox (4)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page