A Little Early... DIY Christmas Presents - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 177 Old 10-01-2006, 11:11 PM
Red

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Start them in pots, line the pots up in a basket or window box before giving them. I'd just use potting soil. Organic would be nice.
#122 of 177 Old 10-02-2006, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petersmamma View Post
I made this scrub for myself and I loved it! I made it for a friend and haven't heard back if she liked it or not!

Here's the recipe:

1/2 cup coffee grounds from a freshly brewed pot
1 cup turbinado sugar
1/4 cup olive oil
10 drops peppermint EO
1 tbsp vanilla extract (I don't think this really adds anything, so I leave it out)

Mix all together in a bowl and that's it!!

The instructions: Start with your feet and work up, paying special attention to areas such as knees and elbows. This has oil, so you may want to use it on a non-stick surface (like a rubber bath mat). Wash off with your favorite soap and you will be awake and soft all day long!

This smells AWESOME from the vanilla and makes you SOOO soft!

I was thinking of making this scrub and either making (prob not) or buying some sort of body wash and putting those together with one of those bath poufs (which I suppose you could also make). That seems like a nice gift, right? I was going to do that and add a gift cert for a massage (I know a woman who does them in her home for cheap!!) for my dcp.

How long could this keep in a jar do you think? If i am giving them as gifts I would like to make them a bit ahead of time.
#123 of 177 Old 10-03-2006, 02:10 AM

just bumping this thread.... so cool! love all the ideas!
#124 of 177 Old 10-04-2006, 12:05 PM

I love this thread - and have gotten some great ideas!

We're not doing anything too unusual for our holiday gift giving...some mixes-in-a-jar, cookies for grandma & grandpa on a plate with the kids' handprints, etc... Here are some others though that won't cost much, if anything:

* I am crocheting leg warmers for two teen girls on my list. I am also crocheting dd17 a way-cool duster. I have tons of neat yarn that I've picked up over the years.

* I cannot get out of a craft store without a cart full of something...which frequently doesn't get used for lack of time. So, several nieces are getting "Scrapbooking Kits" and "Craft Kits" of all never-used materials out of my cabinets.

* I can't get out of a bookstore cheaply either and have been selling books on Amazon.com's marketplace. I have several new or like-new books that aren't worth much on Amazon because of the abundance of books or because they are a couple of years old. It occurred to me that one of these mint-condition books (on woodworking) would be perfect for someone on my list!

* I am downloading a free trial version of a slideshow software to make DVD's like a pp noted. I have TONS of pictures of the kids and these would make GREAT gifts for far-away relatives and, of course, the grandparents.

* I have asked my family for coupons for mysef. For instance, I have had paint for the kitchen and bathroom for 4 months, but haven't had opportunity to paint. I would love for someone to offer to help (either by making the meals that day, painting with me, or just being my right hand with the baby) so that I could finally get it done!

* Something I am doing for DD's 18th birthday is compiling a list of letters of advice for her. I'm relying on mostly family members and her friends (sworn to secrecy) and am even writing to some elected officials, just for kicks. I'll put them into a nice book for her. Of course, you could do other themes as well. I'm thinking of doing the same thing for our 7-week old son. He needs NOTHING for Christmas, so we're not buying him anything, but I am thinking of asking family and friends to send a written "blessing" that I could put into a book for him.

Something else we're doing differently is remembering the obvious: Cards and wrapping paper get thrown away - so I won't spend anything on them. I have a ton of wrap from my pack-ratting days, so I'm set there for a while. Last year I sent an end-of-the-year letter, which I'm sure people appreciated, but it was recently pointed out to me that even at $.05/minute, you could have a nearly-10 minute phone conversation with someone cheaper than you could send them a letter. Perhaps this year I will eliminate correspondence with people on my list that are there only out of habit or obligation and call people I care about ... I could even afford to talk for more than 10 minutes!

Anyway, loving the thread and looking forward to more great ideas! (I too am making the coffee scrub!)

Mrs. S - Crunchy child of The King, Wife to my best friend, and Mama to my many blessings.

#125 of 177 Old 10-04-2006, 12:19 PM

I love the idea of the letter book. How sweet!
#126 of 177 Old 10-20-2006, 01:47 AM

Thank-you so much for everyones contributions! I have been making lots of stuff that I got ideas from here :

I have another idea for yall who sew... mittens

I am using fleece and felted wool sweaters for mine.

#127 of 177 Old 11-08-2006, 11:29 PM

i need some help from you guys. i'm not very crafty (well, i have the talent but not the motivation or desire). what i was thinking about, from reading your ideas, is baskets for my SIL, maybe my brother, and both of their dd's ages 17 and 12.
can y'all help me with that? i'm thinking....here are my ideas, vague as they are. baskets from the thrift store. have to have low handles as i'm sending them from NC to upper NY State. i can spray paint them? what else can i do for decoration?
then fill them with.....(here's the vague part)....i dunno, body-care products? from the dollar store, or we have a discount/salvage place here that has organic stuff (besides food), including soaps and health-and-beauty.
i can do that kind of thing for the 3 females, but what about my brother? he's the kind of guy who has everything he needs already. and also he has money, so he buys all sorts of gadgets for his women every year. he totally spoils them. consumeconsumeconsume OOPS did i say that?

anyway...oh, and how to line the baskets? something pretty but not too disposable? and most important: not cheap looking?

thanks in advance!!

pamela

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#128 of 177 Old 11-08-2006, 11:31 PM

reading that over, it looks like i only need help with the one for my brother, but i was asking for help with all four!! what would y'all do if it were you? what kinds of contents? what kinds of decorations? etc etc etc

THANKS SO MUCH again!!!

pamela

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#129 of 177 Old 11-09-2006, 10:32 AM

This isn't a homade gift but I wanted to share this idea- DH and I only exchange gifts with two couples outside of our family. This year I poropsed that rather than exchange gifts we adopt a needy family together as a group. Since there is a recomended spending cap we spend way less than we would buying presents for everyone and we get to do some good as a group.

Mom to Iris and Henry
#130 of 177 Old 11-09-2006, 10:39 AM

The big DIY gift I'm doing for the grandparents this year are calendars. I making personalized calendars in Publisher. I'm using pics of DD and us and then adding the holidays and birthdays that are important. I'm going to print them out on nice paper and then have them bound at Kinko's. They should be less than $5 a piece and a year long gift.
#131 of 177 Old 11-13-2006, 12:28 AM - Thread Starter

Here's what I've made so far for Hayley (10mos)

a soft fabric ball
a pair of red fleece pants
http://aramblingcanuck.blogspot.com/...uppets_11.html
a felt book about shapes
#132 of 177 Old 11-13-2006, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Oh yea, I also made homemade kahlua and put it in mason jars
Aaaahhh, homemade kahlua?? Do you have a recipe?!

This year, we're making nicely packaged boxes of cookies and goodies for most people. I'm aiming to make most gifts, because we're flat broke (been waiting on back-pay for 2 months now, and still no real idea when it'll be here, ugh.)

For the kids I'm making:

-a quilted play mat for DS, that he can drive his cars around on. We'll probably pick up a few little cars for him. Second hand is fine, he won't care.

-A quilted puppet theatre for DD. It will be attached to a tension rod that can fit in a doorway, but will also be able to act as a blanket. I'll also be making her some puppets.

-stuffed fabric food, to go with the toy kitchen we're hoping to be able to afford

*Brain went blank. I have a few other things I'm planning on making for them, I'll edit when I remember!*

For DH:

-I found some free Kill Bill stencils online, so I'm going to make him a few "pop art" style paintings for the computer room. He loves this movie.

-A "hug" blanket. He likes to bundle in a blanket while he hangs out on the computer, but doesn't have a comfy blanket. I'll have somebody trace me on a piece of fleece, splayed out looking ready to give a hug. Then I'll cut it out and sew it onto a contrasting piece of fleece. Voila - hug blanket. He's a dork so I know he'll like it.

-Going to try and find a pattern for a housecoat and PJ pants. He has neither.

I'm totally drawing a blank on my parents and in-laws.
#133 of 177 Old 11-13-2006, 01:32 PM
Banned

I have great recipe for kahlua - Its always a big hit in me and DH's families.

I take a quart of water, 2 1/2 cups of sugar, and 3 tablespoons of instant coffee, boil it on the stove, and let simmer for a couple hours (like 3, maybe?)

Then add 1 tablespoon of vanilla, and 2 1/2 cups of vodka, and put it into mason jars (or whatever you are using), and store it someplace cool and kinda dark, like a pantry for a month.

Then drink it. YUM!
#134 of 177 Old 11-13-2006, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Nikki~ View Post

-stuffed fabric food, to go with the toy kitchen we're hoping to be able to afford
We made our childrens play kitchen. We took two old end tables. On one we attached 4 drawer pulls for knobs and glued on old CD's for burners. This one has a drawer and the kids pretend it is the oven. On the other table we cut out a circle and dropped in an old stainless steel bowl and bolted on a junk faucet found at goodwill. We don't have a fridge for them but they store their food in baskets on a shelf. I splurged on good wooden food and this year I am crocheting a few additional items. As far as pans and utensils go, I picked up some cheap stuff at goodwill and the dollar store.
#135 of 177 Old 11-13-2006, 04:57 PM

Here is my list so far

Step mother & family friend - knitted snowmen
step sister1 - knitted shawl
step sister2 - crocheted purse
step MIL - afghan
SIL1 - crochet necklace
SIL2 - crochet necklace

I am also making a poncho and a bag of balls for two of DC friends, a crocket book mark for our babysitter who reads non-stop, crocheted food for DS1, crocheted ladybug for DS2, a shawl for a friend, baby booties for her new baby, purse for another friend and crocheted water bottle carriers for everyone on the list.

So far that is all I have decided on.

AM
#136 of 177 Old 11-13-2006, 11:48 PM

so.......can nobody help me with my basket idea?

please??

thanks!
pamela

#137 of 177 Old 11-13-2006, 11:55 PM

pamela~ I always think men appreciate food stuff, cause they generally can't cook. You could do one of the many recipes posted on here, like fudge, or mixed nuts, or just buy a bunch of stuff and throw it in a basket. get some christmasy cellophane and tie a big red ribbon on the top, voila!
#138 of 177 Old 11-14-2006, 09:34 PM

you're right; i think my brother's on a low-carb diet. i can do a lot with that. and the women?
also, what do i line the baskets with?

thanks again!
pamela

#139 of 177 Old 11-15-2006, 12:37 PM

keep them coming!
#140 of 177 Old 11-15-2006, 04:54 PM

I don't know if this has been mentioned or not, but candy wreaths are kinda cool. You can buy them on the net for $25 or more, but they are So easy to make. You just bend a coat-hanger into a circle (you can cut to any size circle) and then use curling ribbon to tie pieces of wrapped candy to it, and then curl the ribbon. I just made one for my SIL to hang on her dorm room door.
#141 of 177 Old 11-18-2006, 03:57 AM

Subbing! There are some great ideas here. Thanks for sharing. As for the bedside caddy (between the mattress thingy) I have a pattern I will share in the next few days ( too tired to do all that now). It looks pretty simple and really functional. It recommends lining a couple pockets for eyeglasses, and ipods, phones, etc. :0) Someone pm me if I forget

Christina, mama to 2 sweet girls

10.26.12 (HBAC!)
namaste.gif   neg.gif  sewmachine.gif   homebirth.jpg homeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpg

#142 of 177 Old 11-18-2006, 05:44 PM

I haven't read the whole thread, so sorry if any of these are repeats. For the last few years I've been making homemade gifts for my family- mom, dad, & siblings. Here's what I've made so far, but I'll read the rest of this thread as I haven't decided what to do this year:

*home-burned CD of old family favorite songs that we listened to as kids. It included a insert with my memories specific to each song. eg: "I remember dad singing along to this song in the car when we were on vacation and all of as banging stuff along with him"

*homemade calendar with childhood photos of whoever's birthday was in that month, plus misc. seasonally appropriate photos for months when there were no family b-days (I got one cheap calendar & xeroxed the months after writing in b-bays, then color xeroxed the photo pages and had them all spiral bound for about $1.50 each at Office Max.

*homemade soaps

*homemade balsam fir sachets (these smell sooo good!)

*recipe booklet of old favorites from each family member

That's all I can think of. Now I'm off to read everyone else's ideas!

Retired Ohio midwife. Mama to my boy E, born 7/05
#143 of 177 Old 11-19-2006, 01:22 AM
Red

Oh, these are great! I'm going to make the candy wreath for my college-aged daughter.

I'm hoping to get to Jo-ann's to buy flannel at 1/2 price and make everyone a pair of xmas holiday pj pants. All exactly the same, just for fun.

mercyn, line the baskets for the guys with bandanas. Most guys will use them for something. For the women you can line with a new kitchen towel, a pretty piece of cloth, a guest towel, a linen napkin.

Pick anything the recipient likes, BBQ -bbq sauce, a brush, maybe a cookbook if you find a cheap one, spices, utensils, an apron, heatproof mitt, etc. Does he love bikes? Go to your local bike store and tell them you need a few thngs for the cyclist. Tell them your $ limit. Throw in energy bars. Any hobby can make a basket! You don't even have to know the person well and you come off looking like a pro.

My dd's afgan is about 1/4 of the way done!
#144 of 177 Old 11-19-2006, 06:12 PM

I'm making my son, niece and nephews a quilt with matching pillows. My DS gets a Star Wars one. My niece a princess/fairy one. My 1st nephew a cars/trucks/planes one. My 2nd nephew a blue jean teddy bear one.

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" --Leonardo Da Vinci
 blogging.jpg  780/2014 decluttered

#145 of 177 Old 11-20-2006, 10:44 PM

:

subbing so I can keep up
#146 of 177 Old 11-22-2006, 11:54 AM

Have to keep this thread on the first page! It's my reminder that Christmas is coming!

I've been planning on choosing pics from my photo collection and having them printed and framed. After seeing the price of picture frames that have mult holes to put pics in, I've decided to do things a little different. I'm buying regular 8x10 frames (cheap/nice if possible!). Open a program like publisher, choose a bunch of pics (6-12), crop, resize and arrange on an 8x10 page. Select all pics, add thick white or black borders. Finito! Looks pretty good and it's a lot of fun.

I've also had requests from sis to put together videos of her baby and burn to DVD. She said that could be her Christmas present from me. I think I'll make one for her, my Mom, and Grandparents. I just need to get more footage.
#147 of 177 Old 11-23-2006, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
mercyn, line the baskets for the guys with bandanas. Most guys will use them for something. For the women you can line with a new kitchen towel, a pretty piece of cloth, a guest towel, a linen napkin.

Pick anything the recipient likes, BBQ -bbq sauce, a brush, maybe a cookbook if you find a cheap one, spices, utensils, an apron, heatproof mitt, etc. Does he love bikes? Go to your local bike store and tell them you need a few thngs for the cyclist. Tell them your $ limit. Throw in energy bars. Any hobby can make a basket! You don't even have to know the person well and you come off looking like a pro.
red, thank you! this is exactly the kind of answer i was looking for. i'm SO not crafty!
i think my brother is still on a low-carb diet, not sure. actually, now there has been a wrench thrown in the works: his older DD has just been shipped off to a seriously lockdown type school for troubled teens. i mean *just*. and she's not allowed to come home for christmas or for anything. so their holiday just had a damper thrown on it. i may still make baskets but dunno what to do for her, don't think she's allowed to receive anything. not sure.

thanks so much though, for all your help!

pamela

#148 of 177 Old 11-24-2006, 09:04 PM
Red

mercyn, I'd make the dd a basket too. Even if she can't have it now, it will be nice when she gets out to know she wasn't forgotten. And if you call the place, they might allow a box of holiday cookies to be sent.

Teens LOVE food, and if you can mail it to her, playing cards, perfume, lip gloss, candy kisses, and a loving note!
#149 of 177 Old 11-25-2006, 03:12 PM

Loving this thread!
Last year everyone got hand-tied fleece blankets. I used some extra fleece to make matching pillows. That ended up being between $10 and $15 per person with 1/2 off fleece.
This year I'm doing photo calenders for each family. I was told I can get them bound with a clear front cover and a back cover added for around $1 per calender at Staples.
DD is also going to paint some wooden photo frames that I got for $.75 at Michaels that I'll put a photo into.
My new nephew (due any day) is getting a hand-tied fleece blanket and my niece, who's 18m is getting a playdough box, with home-made playdough and playdough tools (cookie cutters, plastic knife, rolling pin, etc).
I'm also making some bath crayons for dd and niece.

Jessika, wife to Turbo, mommy to Codi (12/04), Kayce (8/08), Colten (10/10), and a new little stork-suprise.gif coming 12/13 .

#150 of 177 Old 11-26-2006, 07:28 PM

Ohhhh Whats your bath crayons recipe?!?! I JUST told my mom that I wanted to get some for dd, but they are PRICEY at that store! And also, does anyone have a bath oil recipe? I am making relaxation baskets for my aunts, and I'd like to include some bath oils. THanks!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page