A Little Early... DIY Christmas Presents - Page 6 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#151 of 177 Old 11-26-2006, 08:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
mercyn, I'd make the dd a basket too. Even if she can't have it now, it will be nice when she gets out to know she wasn't forgotten. And if you call the place, they might allow a box of holiday cookies to be sent.

Teens LOVE food, and if you can mail it to her, playing cards, perfume, lip gloss, candy kisses, and a loving note!
I agree, plus, if she's having a rough time right now, then comes home and didn't have one, she may feel left out. We all know that teens aren't always logical, so even though it makes sense to not send her's now, she may feel bad about it. If they would let you send her something there, maybe they have an approved list or something, that would be even better.
#152 of 177 Old 11-26-2006, 10:36 PM

Our boys are each getting one store-bought gift this year, and the rest of Christmas is homemade.

I wanted to share what the boys are each making for a gift for all of them to share:

Toby (2) is helping with Candy Cane Mice: You cut out a teardrop shape (felt), cut a slot to slide a candy cane thru for a tail, and glue on ears, googly eyes, and a pink felt nose. http://www.craft-central-station.com...ss/ccmouse.htm

Henry (6) Pringles can bowling game: covering cans with construction paper, adding numbers and a new little ball. Sand in the bottom for a little weight, glue on lids.

Jonas (8) wooden checkers. Measuring, marking, and painting a checkerboard, sawing and painting dowels for checkers.

Nathaniel (10) bean bag game collection: sewing the bean bags, sawing holes in a board for a 'points' toss game, painting a tic tac toe board.

For the grandparents and great-grandparents we are making little photo albums and recording a folk music Christmas song CD. (we play guitar, fiddle, and mountain dulcimer)

We always have the same stocking tradition: fruits, nuts, chocolate Santa, and a small toy. This year they are all getting harmonicas.
#153 of 177 Old 11-26-2006, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2abigail
Ohhhh Whats your bath crayons recipe?!?! I JUST told my mom that I wanted to get some for dd, but they are PRICEY at that store!
I haven't made any yet, so I don't know how they'll turn out. Here's 2 different recipes I found.
Here's one recipe, and probably the one I'll go with.
Here's another, it's down towards the bottom.

Jessika, wife to Turbo, mommy to Codi (12/04), Kayce (8/08), Colten (10/10), and a new little stork-suprise.gif coming 12/13 .

#154 of 177 Old 11-27-2006, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by townmouse View Post
I wanted to share what the boys are each making for a gift for all of them to share:
This is such a wonderful idea!!! I love that it's geared to age appropriateness for the actual prep work, but the finished products are appropriate for all to use What a great job, mama!!

We're doing a 90% homemeade Christmas this year. From DH and I, the bought gift the kiddos will be getting are some Folkmanis puppets. Other than that, I'm making bean bags for DS, dying playsilks for DD (I guess these are *sorta* bought b/c I bought the silks), and knitting them fruits, veggies, and a market bag to go w/ the wooden kitchen their grandparents are buying them. I'm sure I'll add more mama-made presents as I think of some things, but we're focusing more on our tradition uilding than anything else.

For other family, I'm knitting or sewing also. My MIL is getting a lace shawl I'm knitting, I'm making quite a few prs of flannel lounge pants, a couple of prs of LTK Stripey slippers, hmm.... that's all I can think of right now lol

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

#155 of 177 Old 11-27-2006, 07:54 AM

I love the idea of making a checker board! That would be awesome!! I'm going to see if dh would be interested in doing that. We have some wood laying around and may even have a dowel we could use to make the pieces. Then it's just finding some paint.
#156 of 177 Old 11-30-2006, 06:10 PM

subbing

one love

#157 of 177 Old 11-30-2006, 06:33 PM

I have to give everyone my salt scrubs and chocolate truffles EVERY YEAR...I get requests and am told (kiddingly) that I'm not allowed at the company holoday party without them.

Too easy:

Salt Scrub (for 1 in a mason jar)

1/4 cup kosher salt
1/4 cup table salt
1/2 cup large sea salt
3 tbs almond oil
3 tbs glycerine
mix together and add water till proper sludgelike consistancy...add essential oil to taste

(to match Origins, I use a few drops of peppermint, spearmint a few drops of orange)

Truffles

6 oz semi sweet chopped chocolate (you can use chocolate chips)
6 Tbs heavy cream
2 tbs unsweetened cocoa

melt chocolate and cream in double boiler (or if you use a microwave it can be done in there at 50% power stirring every 60 seconds)

Line a brownie pan with wax paper

pour in mixure and cool overnight in fridge or freeze for at least 30 minutes

Turn hardened mixture out onto wax paper and cut into 1/4" squares (does not have to be neat)

Roll squares in cocoa (I toss them in a bowl like a salad)

Can be refridgerated for up to a week

Should be served at room temp.

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
#158 of 177 Old 12-03-2006, 01:56 PM

Here is my recipe for truffles:

1 package Oreos
2 boxes semisweet chocolate (or you could use chocolate chips), melted
1 package cream cheese, softened

Crush 9 oreos to fine crumbs and reserve. Crush the rest of the package to fine crumbs, mix with cream cheese until the two are fully incorporated. Shape into small balls (about 1 inch). Dip into melted chocolate, sprinkle with Oreo crumbs. I would store these in the fridge, and they stay soft even in the fridge! I also suggest using a small amount of chocolate at a time, that way it will stay melted (or melt choc in a double boiler instead of the microwave). Yum!

Also, I plan to package my homemade goodies in those small loaf pans. I primarily make chocolate goodies, which gets expensive (but come ON...what would YOU rather have, a snickerdoodle or fudge?), so the small loaf pan means that I can give people fewer (which people don't mind, because there is SO much holiday food) AND the container is a gift, too!

Oh, and on that vein, I got my SIL a pashmina scarf (so pretty!) as well as a DVD of The Princess Bride (her fave movie when she was a kid), and I plan to wrap the movie in the scarf, so again, the wrapping won't get thrown away!

One other thought! Ds has made a bunch of art in dc this year, and much of it isn't that great. However, we have a hard time throwing it out. So we are keeping a couple of our faves, and then sending the rest to our family. That way, they get to see his art, and THEY get to dispose of it! Ha!!
#159 of 177 Old 12-03-2006, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwolf2 View Post
How long could this keep in a jar do you think? If i am giving them as gifts I would like to make them a bit ahead of time.
So, the recipe says to store in the fridge, which totally makes sense since there are no preservatives and there is sugar, oil, etc and bacteria can eat ANYTHING. But once it's in the fridge, I think you could make these today and store them till Xmas. However, I want to add that this takes NO work, so you could make one a day starting Dec. 18 or so after having your morning coffee and it would seriously only take 5 minutes.

Anyone have good ideas for packaging on this one? The only thing I have come up with (I don't have a good source (read: inexpensive) for glass jars) are those ziploc containers with a twist on top.
#160 of 177 Old 12-03-2006, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikate View Post
Got this idea on MDC last year and they're great:

Get some chocolate chips, some *craisins*, some pistachios. Melt the chocolate, add the rest. Spread on waxed paper and put in fridge. Break off into pieces and put into a fancy tin lined w/tissue paper or other container.

Make it extra Christmas-y by using white chocolate. Then you'll have the white, the red and a little green from the nuts.
You could also do this with white chocolate and candy canes. Drool!!
#161 of 177 Old 12-03-2006, 07:16 PM

subbing
#162 of 177 Old 12-06-2006, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

So far for my dh I've made;

3 pairs boxer shorts (flannel)
a rice bag
fleece scarf
christmas print pj pants
Cinnamon Coffee Cocoa Mix
Toffee Coffee Mix
Bavarian Mint Beverage Mix

Still left to make;

more boxers with leftover fabric
fleece hat
fleece mitts
fudge, cookies or something from here
cookies

For Hayley (1yr);

felt book
felt hand puppets
fabric ball
flannel pj pants
fleece pants

Still left to make;

toy box
puppet theatre
#163 of 177 Old 12-08-2006, 02:39 PM

I don't think this has been posted yet...but how about homemade snow globes? I saw something on Martha Stewart that reminded me. I've done them before and they are super easy.
I'm thinking that for my SIL I'll choose an easy-to-make recipe for parties, which SIL has a lot of b/c she does Stampin' Up, and buy a nice dish in which the recipe can be made and served.
#164 of 177 Old 12-08-2006, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampwitch View Post
I don't think this has been posted yet...but how about homemade snow globes? I saw something on Martha Stewart that reminded me. I've done them before and they are super easy.
I'm thinking that for my SIL I'll choose an easy-to-make recipe for parties, which SIL has a lot of b/c she does Stampin' Up, and buy a nice dish in which the recipe can be made and served.
how do you make the snow globes?

Here's me I married then we had dd15 , dd11 , ds10 , and then and now we and I blog!
#165 of 177 Old 12-08-2006, 03:57 PM

subbing
#166 of 177 Old 12-08-2006, 07:03 PM

Here are some online instructions for the snow globes.
#167 of 177 Old 12-08-2006, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampwitch View Post
Here are some online instructions for the snow globes.
Thanks

Here's me I married then we had dd15 , dd11 , ds10 , and then and now we and I blog!
#168 of 177 Old 12-09-2006, 01:40 AM

I just found this idea ..hope someone can use it for their parents or grandparents.....

Framed Handprint Poem

This is a great gift to make for a father or grandparent using your computer. You’ll need: black ink, 8 ½ x 11 cardstock, 8 ½ x 11 frame. Use a word processing program to print out the following poem on the cardstock:

My Handprint

Author Unknown

Sometimes you get discouraged

because I'm so small,

and always leave my finger prints

on furniture and walls.

But everyday I'm growing big

and soon I'll be very tall.

Then all my little handprints

will be hard to recall.

So here's a special handprint

just so that you can say;

this is how my fingers looked

when I placed them here today.

#169 of 177 Old 12-09-2006, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We made some snowglobes to give away. I brought the jars I wanted to use to the craft store so I could be sure the item I wanted to put inside would fit. I used small figurines that go with the ceramic christmas house displays and hot glued it to the lid. I added some heavy glitter and fake snow (which floats more than I'd like it to). I didn't bother to seal the lid to the jar. I just screwed it on tightly. THey look really cute!
#170 of 177 Old 12-09-2006, 11:49 AM

subbing to read later!

Proud mom to superhero.gifds2 (7/05), angel2.gif ds 1 (born into heaven at 38 weeks 11/03), and 5 more angels angel.gif (4/02) angel.gif (7/10) angel.gifangel.gif (11/10) angel.gif (11/12)

#171 of 177 Old 12-25-2006, 08:51 PM

:

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#172 of 177 Old 01-01-2007, 10:49 PM
Red

This is going to be the thread I check before buying gifts for ANYONE! Truffles???!!! Salt scrubs? Oh, man!

I'd like to e-mail the whole thing to my sis. At the risk of sounding ungrateful and b*tchy, I'm unimpressed with our gifts from her. Mugs filled with candy. Please note, she has a good job, live-in BF with a good job, no kids. Makes MUCH more than we do. I LOVE homemade gifts, and even thought he mugs were clearly $1 specials, had she filled them with truffles, or homemade cocoa, or a few nice tea bags, or ANYTHING that said she'd MET us before, I'd be fine. But it was like the gift you'd leave for the newspaper carrier....a few chocolate kisses, a few mints, all the same. Made me feel.....sad and unloved!

I've NEVER not liked a gift before...or at least not seen the effort someone put it and appreciated that. I bought her inexpensive salt, pepper, and sugar shakers and an oil bottle I filled with fresh herbs and olive oil, all that match. It looked pretty and I know it will go nicely in her kitchen. I thought about her, put in a little effort and tried to make it something she and her BF could use.

: I've been dieting for months, so has one DD and dh. Just had a tooth pulled and can't eat candy, esp the ones covered with non-pariels. (those hard little candy beads) *sigh*

Aren't I an ungrateful brat?
#173 of 177 Old 01-01-2007, 11:35 PM

Thankully, our homemade gifts were a hit Toby loves his daddy-made kitchen with mama-made play food, and the boys really enjoyed making gifts for each other.

Red, I think token gifts suck. And I don't think you are an ungrateful brat!
#174 of 177 Old 01-02-2007, 12:02 AM

Our homemade gift for DS1 is going to be his May birthday present, sadly enough. It was a little to big for us to do. I think the fave gift we gave was those coasters with slots for photos. Although not really DIY, I did have to pick out pics.

DS2 likes the teddy bear and my husband loves the ornament we made him.
#175 of 177 Old 01-04-2007, 03:23 AM

subbing - great thread
#176 of 177 Old 01-04-2007, 07:28 AM

Red, I don't think you're a brat, but don't feel too slighted by your sis if this isn't her usual style. If she's trying the "homemade with love" thing for the first time-- well, it takes some of us a while to get it right!
#177 of 177 Old 01-04-2007, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykdsmomy View Post
I just found this idea ..hope someone can use it for their parents or grandparents.....

Framed Handprint Poem

This is a great gift to make for a father or grandparent using your computer. You’ll need: black ink, 8 ½ x 11 cardstock, 8 ½ x 11 frame. Use a word processing program to print out the following poem on the cardstock:

My Handprint

Author Unknown

Sometimes you get discouraged

because I'm so small,

and always leave my finger prints

on furniture and walls.

But everyday I'm growing big

and soon I'll be very tall.

Then all my little handprints

will be hard to recall.

So here's a special handprint

just so that you can say;

this is how my fingers looked

when I placed them here today.
I this!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page