A Little Early... DIY Christmas Presents - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-30-2006, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm thinking way in advance about what to make for my dh and dd for Christmas. Hayley will be 1 on the 21st of December so I want age appropriate toys (maybe wood?) that we can make for her.

All ideas are welcome.

Thanks,

Jen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2006, 08:41 PM

I am making my kiddos a tee pee! I got the pattern from here
http://www.sewzannesfabrics.com/p-patterns.html

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
Old 07-30-2006, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

I like it! Looks pretty easy too. For dh's stocking I'm doing hot drink mixes again.

This site has tons of them.
Old 07-30-2006, 09:00 PM

sub'ing for ideas too!
Old 07-30-2006, 09:06 PM

Subbing!

Me , + 4 + 2 rats = home
Zoe Faith ~ 11/01/08
Old 07-30-2006, 09:17 PM

another idea I have for a little one(though I probably won't ever get around to making it just throwing this out there for you more motivated crafty mamas) is a fabric barnyard bag/set with little fabric animals. you could also do noahs ark with animals (2 of each) and make the bag boat shaped. just use animal shapes (coloring books are good for shapes or draw your own!) and sew them using scrap fabrics/ribbon/yarn!

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
Old 07-30-2006, 10:13 PM

This has turned into a multi-year project, but I'm making us all coordinating cross-stitched stockings. I started on dh's before I even got pregnant, and I really think I could have done ten of 'em by now if only life didn't keep getting in the way, LOL!
Old 07-30-2006, 10:19 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowmoon
I am making my kiddos a tee pee! I got the pattern from here
http://www.sewzannesfabrics.com/p-patterns.html
That looks great! Have you started on it yet? I am a medicore seamstress at best, but can sew a straight line. If it isn't too hard, I might have to try to make one or maybe 3 or 4. I can think of a handful of kids that would like one for Christmas.

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

Old 07-30-2006, 10:40 PM

nothing fancy but we are making pine cone hangers to hand on your door. we are adding bells, nice ribbon and glitter. we are also collecting leaves (leaf lace) for spraying with glitter as well.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

Old 07-30-2006, 10:56 PM

We are making ds a bean bag toss game..That might work for your dh...All the adults around here love them!!!!!
Old 07-30-2006, 11:40 PM

subbing
Old 07-30-2006, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendon
nothing fancy but we are making pine cone hangers to hand on your door. we are adding bells, nice ribbon and glitter. we are also collecting leaves (leaf lace) for spraying with glitter as well.
that sounds lovely! can you post photos of what you mean? or is there a website that describes it?

is anyone doing layered things in a jar, like cookie mix or soup? anyone starting cookies early and freezing them?

pamela

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

Old 07-31-2006, 12:17 PM

I'm making DS a teddy bear from an old sweater. I have two little cousins (6 & 9) and they're getting small crazy quilts.

DH and I aren't doing gifts, at least not yet, but we've been saving money so that we can go to some hot springs that are a few hours away. That's our gift to ourselves.

Last year we did homemade organic soaps, massage oils and herbal teas for everyone and that was a huge hit.

I blog traditional foods and Weston A Price at Nourished Kitchen. See my healthy recipes.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:05 PM

Subbing

Amy at Stone Fence Farm
:
Old 07-31-2006, 01:48 PM

We were just sorting through and organizing our Christmas stuff yesterday, and we got to thinking about this! I have a few vague ideas of what to do for certain people on our list (peanut butter bread for my brothers, buttermilk pie for my grandma), but would like to figure out what I'm doing now so I can plan. We've been trying to do a homemade gift for each family, a nice, small gift for each niece/nephew, and then winging the rest--we usually end up getting something for our immediate family, which adds up quick. I'd like to do homemade for immediate family this year, too. So I need lots of ideas! Thanks!

Maria , wife to Frank and mama to Gracie (12/09/03) and Evie (06/24/09) , living in domestic bliss!
Old 07-31-2006, 02:22 PM

I've decided to make everyone a blanket this year. MY son gets a complete star wars bedroom set (he loves darth vader). My niece gets a princess one. My nephew gets a spongebob one( my sis says that he is obsessed with him). MY newborn nephew gets a nice cozy winnie-the pook blanket. I think I am making my sister a snow leopard one(if I can find material). My mom gets a wolf quilt. My other sister will get a very feminine blanket. A good family friend(may as well be a family member) will get a nice flannel blanket. My husband and I have decided to pay off some credit cards as a gift to ourselves.

We are also going to "adopt" a family in need. I think they will get things like clothes, shoes...maybe a nice cozy blanket

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" --Leonardo Da Vinci
 blogging.jpg  780/2014 decluttered

Old 07-31-2006, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

I'd love to sew some stuff but I still haven't figured out how to thread the old kenmore machine I bought.
Old 07-31-2006, 04:32 PM

DH and I are going totally DIY this year. We're going to record a Christmas album of about 5 songs to give to everyone. Very basic stuff And we grew birdhouse gourds last year that have finally dried, so we're going to make birdhouses.
Oh, and for grandparents we're giving plaster handprints of DD.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:31 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Young children gifts:

Block puzzles: Get 4 plain 2" blocks from a craft store and paint each side to make a six picture puzzle. You could also just paint each side a different color which would be fun for arranging to make patterns, or just stacking. It ought to be feasible to do the six sided puzzle with actual photos, by decoupaging or something, keeping in mind to use non toxic materials/finish.

First Word Book: Take pictures of things around the house and make a book so child can have a first word book with her own clock, grandma, etc featured. This can be done simply using a small photo album with clear pages.

Story Tapes: Get loved ones to read favorite stories onto an audio tape.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
Old 07-31-2006, 10:33 PM

:
Old 07-31-2006, 11:59 PM

i have made bath salts, bath tea bags, candles, etc. for presents before, always looking for new ideas i would love to sew some things this year.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:28 AM

I have made my kids "sensory boxes." I bought three tupperware like shoeboxes with lids. Put different colored rice in one, pinto beans and pasta spirils in another, and sand in the third. Add to each box marbles or small balls, cotton balls, fake bugs, etc. Anything that has a different texture. I put a small cup and some kid friendly tweezers in each box. My kids will sit still for at least twenty minutes and and play, try to pick things up with tweezers, count, hide toys, etc. It's great for fine motor skills and sensory discrimination. It's a neat idea that doesn't cost alot and preschoolers love it.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:02 AM

Quote:
i have made bath salts, bath tea bags, candles, etc. for presents before
That sounds really nice. Last year I made homemade cookies for everyone, and realized that everyone was on a diet or trying to lose weight
So this sounds like a better idea this year. Have you got any recipes? And is it reletively inexpensive? I like the idea of homemade candles, is it messy?
Old 08-01-2006, 10:11 AM

Hmmm. I might make one of the I spy bags for my son this year -- or maybe I'll save it for a car trip.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:21 AM

You could make a collage frame for you DH with pictures of you and DD. I did this for hubby one year and he LOVED it. It's displayed on his desk. If you search the web there are great poems you can do with it.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:53 AM

subbing....

A couple of years ago I made a fairy bower for my sil's boyfriend's dd. I just used pink tulle and attached it to a large metal wreath frame, then decorated the top with lots of silk roses and greens and ribbons. Very pretty! I'm thinking about making an ocean-themed one for my ds!
similar to this:
http://hearthsong.com/hearthsong/pro...bc=1005&pgc=94

I'm thrilled that this thread got started! I usually forget to think about this until Dec., when I don't have the time or money to make the things I really want to make!

Kristen
Old 08-01-2006, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Here's a good fudge recipe that I'll probably make for Christmas;

Decadent Fudge

Ingredients

1 1/2c Decadent chocolate chips
1 1/2c sweet Swiss chocolate pieces (about 2 chocolate bars)
1 jar marshmallow creme
4 1/2c white sugar
1 pinch salt
2T butter, plus some for greasing pan
1 can (12 oz) evaporated milk

Instructions
  1. Butter two 9x9 baking dishes, or one large one.
  2. Place chocolate chips, pieces and mallow creme into a large bowl.
  3. In a large saucepan, combine milk, sugar, salt and butter.
  4. Cook and stir over low heat until the sugar disolves.
  5. Bring to a rolling boil, from there cook for 6 minutes.
  6. Pour syrup over chocolate/mallow and stir until chocolate is melted and mixture is uniform.
  7. Pour into pans and refridgerate until firm.
  8. *To make cutting the fudge easier, run the knife under hot water before slicing. Clean and wet again after each cut. This also works well for cutting most desserts.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:14 PM

Every time a fruit has come into season this summer, I've made a batch of jam or jelly, so I'll make gift baskets with them. Last year, I made homemade flavored creamers and sugars for the coffee drinkers. In years past, I've bought grapevine wreaths when they were 50% off at Hobby Lobby and decorated them to match people's homes, made pine cone Christmas ornaments, and baked big plates of cookies. I also give DD's grandparents a calendar of her pictures, but I order them when Shutterfly has their 50% off sale; I have known people who made them themselves, though.
Old 08-01-2006, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genifer
So this sounds like a better idea this year. Have you got any recipes? And is it reletively inexpensive? I like the idea of homemade candles, is it messy?
i use a very basic castile soap recipe, (i will find a link if you want, i just googled a bit, or your local library probably has a book or two about soapmaking) with olive oil,goats milk & ess. oils. (and you can add herbs, etc. you can really be creative here) i had leftover goats milk, got the oil from a thrift-type grocery store, the lye from a science supply and i use ess. oils for cleaning anyway. of course be safe, lye is a chemical, and will burn you, but don't be afraid like i was (it took me almost 4 years to get over it!) you can buy molds, or make your own. i think when you compare it to going out and buying presents, it is inexpensive. homemade candles, i have just one medium to large size pillar mold-working on gettting more (around $10, you can maybe find cheaper) wick, bulk beeswax ( i got raw unprocessed beeswax, (cheaper) sometimes it needs to be strained, true but the smell was stronger which i love) and an old thrift store pan, it probably is the easier of the two (candles, soap) to make. one beeswax candle the size that i make would be $$$ bought in the store, so i just gift one per person. (or household, when we are invited to someone's home i will bring one, they are always loved, and it is consumable, meaning it doesn't sit around gathering dust like many gifts)
go for it! its fun! good luck!

oops i forgot, the bath tea bags and bath salts i think i found on http://www.pioneerthinking.com/
Old 08-01-2006, 03:23 PM

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)

User Tag List