I'm getting out of debt, with the snowball method. Wanna play? - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 302 Old 01-07-2007, 10:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm not sure we'll put aside a whole grand but we're going to aim for close to that. I feel pretty good right now just having a few hundred set aside- it's great compared to how we've done lately. :

I feel good.
#182 of 302 Old 01-08-2007, 05:21 AM

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
#183 of 302 Old 01-08-2007, 09:54 AM

Ok, I need help!!! We are beginning to fall behind on bills & it seems to be getting worse...when we want it to get better! Here is our deal. We bought our house 1 1/2 years ago. We have no car payments. But we did have car repairs that we had no $ for & put them on the cc. A couple things here & there now were up to $2,000 our one card. Then we have a payment for a dry basement system. We lost alot the first time it flooded. We owe around $10,000, it is zero interest until August, but we have only been paying the minimum which is a little over $300 a month. Come August we will get a huge interst rate added on to that. I'd love to ind a zero interst card to transfer the balance to in August. Then we owe $1500 when our well pump & tank went on us in November. We have already paid half of that off. The told us to pay $500 a month & they won't charge interest. But that is the new bill that is killing us! On top of that they just filled our oil tank & we owe them a little ofer $400. I do NOT know how we will even pay our mortgage this month. I was considering going to the credit union & looking at loans. But really I don't know what to do. Usually or mortgage is our first priority & by the end of this week we will only have half of what we need for this months mortgage not including any other bills. I started working in July as a banquet waitress. It works out beautifully because I'm home during the day & work only for the large parties. Well I haven't worked in 2 weeks, this is their slow season, nothing like when I started working there! We want to TTC for #3 in about a year & a half but first we have to get to a much better place financially. We are planning a HB & will have to pay out of pocket for the birth. We also have a garage roof that desperatly needs to be done. It seem very overwhelming. We are also beginning to wory about our vehicles, not sure how long they will holdup. We have no savings & no emergency fund. Can we do it? Which bill first? Do I need to find another job???
#184 of 302 Old 01-08-2007, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamoo View Post
Debi!?!?! Congrats!
(I hadn't noticed your new siggie before)

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
#185 of 302 Old 01-08-2007, 02:52 PM

Thanks. It was a huge shock! I am still working through it, but I know things happen for a reason.

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
#186 of 302 Old 01-08-2007, 10:07 PM

We canceled one of our life insurance policies. I think it was too expensive. So we'll get a pay out of a little over $5K. It's going straight to the van which means we'll have just over $1K left to pay off. After the van we start work on a cc.
#187 of 302 Old 01-09-2007, 03:24 AM

First I want to say THANK YOU ALL!! You are so brave to come here and share your stories

My story is very much the same but we have no credit card debt... well I have a bill from an old Target account but thats it.

I'm a SAHM of two (boy 8 and girl 11) and we live in a house we are renting with my mother and my brother. We have 5 bedrooms, so everyone fits and we have a lot of pets. My husband and I pay 550.00 a month. We are trying to straiten out my mom's credit to get a loan to buy the house we currently live in.

We have....

Student Loan - 12233.99
Medical Bills - 3751.14
Cashland - 309.05
BookClub - 207.51
AT&T - 117.33
Target - 562.58
Vet Bills - 650.00
Business Expenses - 800.00

Grand Total : 18,631.60

We do not have a car payment at this time. We don't have credit to get a car, lol and we are lucky enough to have a decent car that my aunt sold us for 1,000.00.

Now, my hubby is on board to pay some bills AFTER we get new computers with our income tax. We plan to get new computers and give my mom 800.00 for a bill she needs off her credit to get a loan for our house. I am considering taking my part of the computer money and putting it in a savings account to start us out. I can live with my crappy computer (its not really crappy) or take over my husbands a bit better computer when he gets a new one. I think thats what I'll do.

Like I said we have pets. I breed Sugar Gliders as an at home hobby business. We also have 2 dogs, 5 cats, 8 rabbits (some are babies and will be going to new homes), 1 chicken, and 1 hedgehog. There are 12 sugar gliders.

My goals in the near future are to help my mom pay off her stuff she needs to, get our loan, and STOP PAYING RENT!!!!!!

I just want to add that up untill tonight I had a big pile of bills that I had not opened in MONTHS. I started reading this thread and sat down and dug through them ALL... I am happy the medical bills are not higher but I'm stunned that my student loans are so much higher. The last I checked they were 10,000!!!!! I have been avoiding these loans for SIX YEARS... it's time to step up to the plate now I think. I let my husband know that I'll be getting ahold of them this week and trying to get them up to date (without paying I hope) and start making a monthly payment on both. He's ok with that.

My husband brings home about 425.00 a week and I get 65.00 a week in child support. I made 1,900.00 selling sugar gliders last year most of this goes to support the pets but at least that's not coming out of our regular budget, and if all goes well I'll up that this year.

So thats me I'm so pleased to be here!!

Mom to DD 14 and DS 12
#188 of 302 Old 01-09-2007, 06:03 PM

Welcome SugarGlider! It takes acknowledging you have it to actually work on it. So good for you. We're still paying on ours. Our van will be paid off in Mar and then we snowball our adoption. Any chance you (sugarglider) are in TN? I saw someone at my sons school selling sugargliders on their van. Just wondered. s

notes2.gifDina sahm to geek.gif, bikenew.gif, and joy.gif. I'm always computergeek2.gif, dishes.gif andhang.gif.
#189 of 302 Old 01-10-2007, 10:46 AM

With our taxes we plan to do the following:

* Set $1k aside for our emergency fund
* Pay off our medical bills from my newest family member (~$2k)
* Save the rest for a house down payment. So tired of paying rent when we could own our own house.

Good luck to everyone with their goals for the new year and here's to making progress on our debts!!!
#190 of 302 Old 01-10-2007, 06:09 PM

Well I'll chime in...

Right now I am saving for a divorce... yeah! Long, long, long story - common law marriage in colorado occurs at 6mos and you have to get a formal divorce

Anyways I will have that by the EOM and then onto my emergency fund. I am going with an EM of $2K, just becuase that would cover 1.5 months of unemployment - I like bigger safety needs because that is how I got here..

Then I start on the credit cards... hopefully divorce will take some of those away but I'm no holding my breath nor will I be disappointed if I pay them all myself.

So that's almost an even $20K in CC and then a car loan of $10K.

If I've done my math correct and my income does not decrease I will be debt free before 2009!

My budget is bare bones, so I am able to pour $800 a month into additional budget reduction! I had NO IDEA I was "wasting" so much extra money that I could be reducing my debt with.

On the other front I've been doing some major simplification, I have a box going at all times, as I put things in the box I tag and price it for a yard sale in the spring and summer. Also will get back to doing some eBay sales.

I have deceied that I will split that "found" money with myself. Half to me for mad money, unbudgetted expense and an occasional dinner out and the other half to additional debt reduction.

I figure if I make that deal with myself now, that I can at least hold myself to that critia and thus force myself to sell something before I can "treat" myself for doing such a good job on sticking to my budget.
Like they say when you are dieting... allow yourself that Hershey kiss once and awhile when you really want it, it will help you stay focused and not get discouraged that you broke your diet by eating the kiss and then deceid to eat the entire bag of Hershey kisses.

One day at a time...
#191 of 302 Old 01-11-2007, 03:14 AM

dinade, Thank you... I'm in NE Ohio

I just found out that hubby is going to start getting overtime next month WOOT! He's excited

I'm trying to figure out where to start :

Mom to DD 14 and DS 12
#192 of 302 Old 01-11-2007, 03:30 AM

I have done so much with our debt and budgeting with Quicken. I put in dh's avg. pay for the whole year along with the bills we know are going to be coming out rounded up for the whole year. and for each month I add other things as gas, food, meds, and the like in a generic place holding kinda way, and have the amounts showing as what our budget is and as we spend out of that budget I reduce the generic amount. This has helped us know if we are going to be short in 2 months or not. I also add every thing we spend when we spend it cause if I don't we will lose track of it and not get it entered and be short.

I wiped out all my bad debt last year with this and we have been able to buy a house, so now we are back in debt, but I feel hopeful.
Quicken will set you back like 40-50 bucks make sure you get the one for home.. we have Quicken 2006 deluxe.
#193 of 302 Old 01-11-2007, 11:31 AM

I managed to save another $175. Sweet!
#194 of 302 Old 01-11-2007, 01:11 PM

i am working with GPT sites to make some extra cash and I am also working on a very LARGE GPT that will cost me about $100 and I will get a $2000 gc/cash check! so a profit of $1900 and i will most likely take a hundred of that to do another GPT of hopefully $1000 and it will go towards and pretty much pay off my suzuki!! i will be sooo excited. crossing my fingers that i get the $2k in the next 2 months.
#195 of 302 Old 01-12-2007, 11:59 AM

I'm bummed because dh's paycheck didn't have any overtime this time. We really need that overtime to get out of debt! Next paycheck he'll have more overtime thankfully.
#196 of 302 Old 01-12-2007, 04:00 PM

I know what you mean about no over time. For the past two weeks dh has not gotten the over time due to holidays... we depend on his over time too much, but I'm afraid if I go to work we will just brake even paying child care cost that it would be pointless. I can get a job at a daycare and have to only pay part of the fee but when dd is in town with me what am I supposed to do with her?
#197 of 302 Old 01-13-2007, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLeigh View Post
Then we have a payment for a dry basement system. We lost alot the first time it flooded. We owe around $10,000, it is zero interest until August, but we have only been paying the minimum which is a little over $300 a month. Come August we will get a huge interst rate added on to that. I'd love to ind a zero interst card to transfer the balance to in August. Then we owe $1500 when our well pump & tank went on us in November. We have already paid half of that off. The told us to pay $500 a month & they won't charge interest. But that is the new bill that is killing us! On top of that they just filled our oil tank & we owe them a little ofer $400. I do NOT know how we will even pay our mortgage this month. I was considering going to the credit union & looking at loans. But really I don't know what to do. Usually or mortgage is our first priority & by the end of this week we will only have half of what we need for this months mortgage not including any other bills. I started working in July as a banquet waitress. It works out beautifully because I'm home during the day & work only for the large parties. Well I haven't worked in 2 weeks, this is their slow season, nothing like when I started working there! We want to TTC for #3 in about a year & a half but first we have to get to a much better place financially. We are planning a HB & will have to pay out of pocket for the birth. We also have a garage roof that desperatly needs to be done. It seem very overwhelming. We are also beginning to wory about our vehicles, not sure how long they will holdup. We have no savings & no emergency fund. Can we do it? Which bill first? Do I need to find another job???
If I were in your situation I'd probably be looking for another p/t job to work at in the evening. I'd use that extra income to pay for the oil bill and the well pump & tank bill.
Then after that I'd start paying extra towards the basement system bill. If in August it looks like it won't be paid off, then I'd look to get a zero interest card.
#198 of 302 Old 01-13-2007, 10:03 PM

I've been so sad these past few days. I was in a minor car accident on Thursday and found out yesterday that we'll have to pay almost $1200 to get the other vehicle fixed. We probably won't go through insurance so that's why we'll be paying for it. Now we won't be able to pay any extra money towards cc this month.
#199 of 302 Old 01-13-2007, 10:16 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennbee View Post
I've been so sad these past few days. I was in a minor car accident on Thursday and found out yesterday that we'll have to pay almost $1200 to get the other vehicle fixed. We probably won't go through insurance so that's why we'll be paying for it. Now we won't be able to pay any extra money towards cc this month.
aww, that sucks i'm glad you're okay though!

in happy news, we paid off our credit line today! woohoo! we've been working really hard on it for 18 months, and managed to pay off $14, 000!!! i'm so proud of us

Momma to K ('01), E ('03) and A ('07)
Acting as a Gestational Surrogate for my cousin, EDD Jan 17th
#200 of 302 Old 01-13-2007, 10:39 PM

$14,000 in 18 months!!! Holy moly! That's awesome. How did you find that much extra cash if you don't mind me asking?

I'm veeeerrrrrry slowly trying to do the snowball. We're both working extra jobs but we feel like every time we get two steps ahead we fall back one step. We have a little over $300 in our emergency fund so far and I think next Friday I can get it up to almost $600. My goal is to have the grand by the end of January.
#201 of 302 Old 01-14-2007, 01:05 AM

As luck would have it, both our vacuum AND our DVD player bit the dust this month. *sigh* It cost us $400 to replace both -- and, no, we don't consider a DVD player optional : -- but, hey, at least it came out of savings instead of getting put on the credit card, right?
#202 of 302 Old 01-14-2007, 11:18 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
we did it like this: i babysit, but my hubby's check covers our bills, so all of my babysitting money goes to paying off debt (that's at least $400 a month), plus my hubby can do some overtime from home, after the kids are sleeping.. it's hard on him, but he can add anywhere from an extra $100-$200 a month, all going to debt. at the end of the year, my hubby usually gets a bonus, this year it was $1000.

we also had to work hard at staying within our budget so we truly could live off of hubby's paycheck (ah, that's how we got into debt to begin with!) so we saved every cent we could... my hubby used to eat out for lunch TOO much. now he's allowed to eat out one day a week, and pack him the other days lunches. i'm bad at going over our grocery budget, so i've been restraining myself. i think all of our little saving here and there paid off all the interest that our credit line generated (8.3%).

babysitting 7200
overtime 1800
bonus 1000

= 10,000 credit line paid off!

we are going to continue saving like mad from now to the spring/early summer so that we can afford a kitchen renovation, so we will most likely be putting a bit on the credit line, but i'm hoping not too much. we're also going to go to the bank and ask them to lower our credit line interest, since we are such good customers LOL.

Momma to K ('01), E ('03) and A ('07)
Acting as a Gestational Surrogate for my cousin, EDD Jan 17th
#203 of 302 Old 01-14-2007, 11:54 AM

That's inspirational shelley4!

I'm excited to get out of debt... I printed Dave Ramsey's pdf sheet to put on the fridge as a reminder of why we're doing this (I need reminders ). We'll get a decent amount of our debt taken care of this year, but it will be very slow the next year. Hopefully dh can keep getting overtime.

Here's a question for you all. We have our w-4 set up so that we have much more withdrawn that we need (this means a very hefty return, last year it was $6k for both state and federal). I'm considering whether we should add another exemption to each state and federal so we have less taken out of each check. Is it worth it do you think? Obviously it's going to be much smaller amounts and we'd see less results than getting a refund and paying off a card completely. Not to mention it would require willpower to not spend that few dollars a week.

Dh will hopefully get a small raise in March. He was laid off last January and his new job requires a 20 minute drive whereas his old job was two blocks away. He gets paid less hourly wage and spends much more in gas so a raise would get us closer to where we were in 2005. :
#204 of 302 Old 01-14-2007, 07:19 PM

Well for the first time my dh and i did envelopes for the last two weeks. WE still have money in them and he gets paid on Tues. So we had funded just gas/food/blowmoney and now we'll also fund with the extra a school fund (field trip coming up) and begin a medical or a vaca fund. My vaca consists of a paid for condo so we just have to come up with food/gas/blow money on this trip. Yay for the envelopes. I'm so sorry I didn't do it sooner. They so make you spend less money. :0)

notes2.gifDina sahm to geek.gif, bikenew.gif, and joy.gif. I'm always computergeek2.gif, dishes.gif andhang.gif.
#205 of 302 Old 01-15-2007, 12:55 PM

Can you explin how the envelopes work? I read the book, but not sure I completely understand that part.

Erin, mom to Amelia Rose:, 6/15/06 and Lily Grace, 6/7/09; wife to Phil since 10/9/04
#206 of 302 Old 01-15-2007, 01:18 PM

what you do is take money out of your account when he gets paid. Then with that money you fund gas/grocery/and blow money. WE need more envelopes so right now as I have left over I am funding more. Such as medical/school/miscellaneous/vacation/etc. I just use the envelopes hte bank gives me I always ask for more. This time I asked for 3 and received one so have a total of 4. Next time I'll probably ask for 3 more. I always leave my enve at home so there's not danger of them getting lost. Ugh I cant imagine that happening. Just take out a 20 if I need gas or take my enve if I need groceries, etc. It makes you so much more aware of what your spending and it really is more painful to me anyway to spend cash. WEird huh?

#207 of 302 Old 01-15-2007, 05:37 PM

That makes sense... because you literally see your money going away. I've been much more aware of my spending using cash only. We don't have much in the budget right now so I immediately put my gas portion in my van, dh puts his in his truck and the rest is grocery money.

For awhile, and this is how I got my CC racked up, I would just send that chunk of money to my CC to pay for gas, groceries, extras but I always ended up spending more than I'd budgeted. No more of that for me!

I'm STILL waiting on the book at the library, there's several copies but they're all checked out and I'm not the only one on hold.
#208 of 302 Old 01-19-2007, 01:09 PM

Ok. Now the envelopes make more sense. I just added up the cc debt. This doesn't include student loans or the mortgage on the house. It looks like this:

CC #1: 4290.40
CC #2: 5600
CC #3: 1496.16
CC #4: 5900
CC #5: 1830
Financing for our new furnace: 1000

Two department store cards with about $300 total.

Now the question is where to start. Obviously with the smallest right? I can do that in a week and the next should be the week after that. I think. Has anyone tried to get the due date changed on bills? I need to change the date on our mortgage payment, but I don't know if they will be receptive since I pay it late every month. It's due the first, but I can't pay it till around the 20th. I'll be calling them today.

Erin, mom to Amelia Rose:, 6/15/06 and Lily Grace, 6/7/09; wife to Phil since 10/9/04
#209 of 302 Old 01-19-2007, 04:26 PM

I heard through the grapevine that Dave is supposed to be on 20/20 tonight. There is going to be a story about consumer debt. I'll be watching (mostly for inspiration).

Amy at Stone Fence Farm
:
#210 of 302 Old 01-19-2007, 04:33 PM

I heard that too StoneFence thanks for reminding me. I've got it set to record.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page