Does anyone want to track their September food spending together? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 195 Old 09-02-2006, 11:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlkm2e
There is a cookbook called "More with Less" by Doris Janzen Longacre. You can probably get it at your library. It is written by Mennonites and is about eating better with less resources using whole foods and grains. It has lots of great recipes.
I LOVE this book. I use it at least 3 times a week.
#62 of 195 Old 09-03-2006, 12:34 AM

Well so far we have spent $8.32 DH took DS out to get new plates for the car and they stopped at Wendy's for lunch : then he complained all afternoon about how physically ill he was (I got gas... my stomach hurts belch....) he never eats fast food what possessed him? I was very good... kept my mouth shut, natural consequences just might work....

total for month so far is: $8.32
#63 of 195 Old 09-03-2006, 02:59 AM

Well, not to good so far. We went to a potluck-style baby shower today. We needed to bring a dish & I didn't have time to throw anything together. I stopped at the local HF store (called New Leaf) and got a pint of pesto pasta ($10) and some snacks (I know, bad!), so I spent $20 total. The only good thing is we ate potluck food for lunch & dinner. I just checked our accounts online & it looks like dh went to Starbucks on his break ($3.65!). He works at Trader Joe's, I asked him to bring home a watermelon, I hope that's all he got!

I can't believe how little some of you spend on groceries. I always include paper goods, cleaners, etc in my total, I think I'm going to categorize things more this month. We spend a ridiculous amount I can't possibly fathom spending as little as some of you! I do cook a lot too! I guess it's because were in California & we eat mostly organic, but we don't eat meat!

My goal is to spend less then $600, but more around $400 is actually what we can afford. But HOW??? If I want to stay a sahm, I must figure it out!

I've been canning (well, jarring actually) my neighbors apples, pears, plums, & nectarines. The fruits free, but the jars add up! At least I can reuse the ones I save next year.

Happily married, Waldorf-inspired homeschooler to Kylan (8yo), Everest (6yo), and Bodhi (2yo)
#64 of 195 Old 09-03-2006, 03:22 AM

Well, so far we've spent 9.29-6.00 was muffins & coffee on an outing with Dd , and 3.29 for a dozen of organic eggs to go into a kugel. I usually shop on tuesdays-so the big week shopping hasn't happened yet. I have to get coffee this week when i go to the store, I wasn't drinking it but I've started again and buying it out is just two damn $$!
#65 of 195 Old 09-03-2006, 09:56 AM

Well, we spent $61.57 yesterday. That puts us at $64.39. Not very good for it only being the 3rd.
#66 of 195 Old 09-03-2006, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm joining in. So far this month, I've spent $4 on chai and coffee at a local coffee shop where we go for a monthly student group meeting (I'm in college). I mostly shop for DD and I, as DH is a meat eater and does his own shopping. Of course, we're trying to catch up on bills now that everyone has a job again after all unemployed for a bit (BIL and his GF live with us), so my grocery budget (as in, money available, not just how much I would "like" to keep it down to) for this month will probably be about $100. I have stuff in the pantry, but it's starting to dwindle and I'm running out of staples. This should be a challenge.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#67 of 195 Old 09-04-2006, 12:03 AM

I'm in. I've already been to the store twice and eaten out 3 times this month! I'm going to add it up and put it on a spreadsheet tomorrow....
#68 of 195 Old 09-04-2006, 11:02 AM

I did a big trip already this month and spent $166.71...I'll be spending $7 on Thursday for our farm fresh eggsa nd goat's milk...so I"ll be posting again soon.

Sus
#69 of 195 Old 09-04-2006, 12:40 PM

91.39 at 3 diff. stores. one had organic free range chicken marked down to .98/lb so I stocked up! also that included 2 six packs of beer and 20 ears of corn to take to friends house.
#70 of 195 Old 09-04-2006, 01:40 PM

I have spent around $96 so far this month. I have almost all of our dinners made and frozen as well. I did do a big trip the last week in Aug so we are set for the month (other than perishable stuff-produce/milk/eggs). I think OAMC is going to work out great for us and it's sooooo unbelievably cheap! I should have started doing this years ago!

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#71 of 195 Old 09-04-2006, 02:05 PM

I spent $40.03 at Trader Joe's and $45 at the "regular" grocery store yesterday. That covered all of our food for the week, except for the lasagna I'm planning to make Friday. I also had to get household stuff like trash bags, laundry detergent and Band-Aids.

$85.03 - total as of 9/4

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#72 of 195 Old 09-04-2006, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Our favorite coffee was on sale this week. Bought 2 bags for $12.49.

September food budget $350, spent $60.49, have $289.51 remaining

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#73 of 195 Old 09-04-2006, 03:17 PM

I budget $100 a week for all of our groceries, and I use cash. In a good week I have leftover money to spend, but lately we've been trying to buy organic more and there is not as much left over. But still about $100 week. I usually spend around $60 at Trader Joe'sfor breads, pastas, dairy products, that sort of thing, and then about $35-40 on produce at a local grocery store.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#74 of 195 Old 09-04-2006, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

We went to our church Greek festival yesterday evening. We spent $26 on food. DH spent $4 on snacks at the OSU football game on Saturday. Then we spent $22 on lunch today at COSI. So that is $52 for the weekend. There won't be so much eating out once our guests are gone. I will need to go to the grocery tomorrow though.
#75 of 195 Old 09-04-2006, 08:36 PM

Urk. I accidentally posted the below in the September Pantry challenge. They were probably thinking I was nuts. . . .

Omigod. Okay, here goes my first post. I think I should get the official profligacy award, but in my defense,
  1. We are having company--including fancy dinner company--four days out of this week.
  2. We are trying to make a move to once-a-month-shopping, so this covers staples (I hope) for the whole month).
  3. Most of the meat is local, pastured stuff, and so it's a little pricier.
  4. We have a (fairly high) sales tax on food here.

I spent (drum roll, please) $301.19. Since our grocery budget is $500 (although we budgeted an additional $50 for all the company), I really, really hope that I've got most of what we need for the month. I'm not going to bore ya'll with a minute breakdown, but our largest categories were:

Meat: 30%
Produce: 14%
Grains & Legumes: 11%
Dairy: 10%
Household Items: 10%

Now I have to go and breathe deeply and slowly for a while. . . Any OAMS tips would be appreciated in the meanwhile.
#76 of 195 Old 09-04-2006, 09:46 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phroggies
[*]We have a (fairly high) sales tax on food here.
You have a tax on food? You poor woman! I think food is the only thing not taxed in Maryland. Consumer goods stuff (tp, dishsoap, etc) is taxed, but basic meat, veggies, dairy are not. We even repealed the snack food tax about 10 years ago, so pork rinds and potato chips are tax free (not that we eat them, the thought of pork rinds makes me gag a bit).

Is there no income tax in Tennessee?

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#77 of 195 Old 09-04-2006, 09:57 PM

Okay, I have been so bad and we ate at McDonald's yesterday AND today and had Domino's for dinner. : Please don't kick me out of the club! I'm trying so hard but we had no food and only got our food stamp deposit today.
So here's my spending so far:
McDonald's: 23.48
Dominos: 17.37
So I went grocery shopping today. Are you ready for what I spent?
$235.45
This is a lot of stocking up on staples and things we ran out of last month.
Lunch stuff for DS for school:
Meats:
Produce:
Dairy:
Basics:
Bread:
Breakfast:
Other:

Ouch. Most of the stuff in the other category was not on my list.
#78 of 195 Old 09-04-2006, 10:02 PM

I SO need to do something like this, I just don't know how I can I had my second DD just over two weeks ago and am still just eating what I can make with one hand. I'm lucky if I can get breakfast in to DD#1 and I most days. It's so hard to be frugal when you don't have time to cook. I just don't know what to do . . .

On the other hand, my ex is only "alloting" me a certain amount of money so I guess I have to stick to a budget.
#79 of 195 Old 09-05-2006, 12:45 AM

We've spent $85.83 so far...

Happily married, Waldorf-inspired homeschooler to Kylan (8yo), Everest (6yo), and Bodhi (2yo)
#80 of 195 Old 09-05-2006, 01:03 AM

I posted the amount I spent at Sams, later that night I hit Kroger and spent about $23.

On payday i need to get chicken, but I can't think of much else we need. Maybe some beans.
#81 of 195 Old 09-05-2006, 01:51 AM

We pay taxes on food too.

I did some shopping this weekend and now I need to sit down and figure out how much I spent. I'm too lazy to dig up the receipts right now.
#82 of 195 Old 09-05-2006, 03:32 AM

: We're up to $130 already! But some of that includes stocking up on a few things (ok, well, not so much the olives in herbs ) when we passed a Whole Foods on the way home from MIL's yesterday, and it also includes $15 on "party" food we bought for everyone yesterday too. Blech. I just paid all the bills, and .

(sigh)

Melissa, a homeschooling, caffix.gif-guzzling, SAHM of two: reading.gif (11) and joy.gif(8)
#83 of 195 Old 09-05-2006, 10:02 AM

Okay guys you want the good news or the bad news.

The bad news is that we spent $40 on food during our date on Friday.

But since then we spent $18 at the farmer's market. Corn, watermelon, milk, bacon, onions, and we brought home 10 lbs of tomatos from the farmer that run our CSA (they were included in our annual share prince)

On Sunday DH picked a bunch of apples from an abandoned farmstead when he was hunting and we made pie and applesauce for free. Much tastier than the game he was hunting for .

Yesterday I bought a latte $4 and a pint of ice cream (for the pie) $2.
#84 of 195 Old 09-05-2006, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnnice
On Sunday DH picked a bunch of apples from an abandoned farmstead when he was hunting and we made pie and applesauce for free. Much tastier than the game he was hunting for .
Hooray for foraging My dh and I love wild foods. I don't really know if abandoned orchards count as "wild" foods, but we used to get tons of apples at them when we lived in Wisconsin. I just spent 2.50 on a bag of apples that dh could have gotten for free in about five minutes on his way home from work.

OK, I love this idea. Count me in! So far our spending this month is $46.78. I am including household stuff in my "grocery" spending. (yay! for my Diva Cup)

My Etsy Shop
Acorn Dolls~Wool Felt Crowns~Children's Craft Kits~Shooting Stars~Dancing Fairy Rings~Come On Over and Play!
#85 of 195 Old 09-05-2006, 11:13 AM

I spent $41.15 at Whole Foods yesterday. That puts me at $105.54.
#86 of 195 Old 09-05-2006, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Is there no income tax in Tennessee?
No income tax--just a really high sales tax and fairly high property taxes. There was some discussion earlier this year about reducing the grocery tax and upping the cigarette tax (we have one of the lowest of those in the nation!) but nothing came of it.

I'm tempted to leave the sales tax out of my calculations, but one of my sneakiest, self-defeating budget strategies is to convince myself that all sorts of things "don't count" and then to wonder where all the money went.
#87 of 195 Old 09-05-2006, 11:59 AM

Rowdypea--

We are in WI and this part of the state had a good year for apples.
#88 of 195 Old 09-05-2006, 01:55 PM

#89 of 195 Old 09-05-2006, 03:08 PM

I'm new on the boards here.Our gardens were wrecked by storms and crickers this year so I'm going to have to buy a lot of things I don't normally buy so we had to refigure our budget. Can I join the grocery tracker club?
#90 of 195 Old 09-05-2006, 07:58 PM

OMG!! I am soooo excited!! I haven't really joined you officially until today. I thought, well that I would at least give it a try since I had some extra time today and I needed to go to the grocery store.
I started by making a list of what I needed. Then realized that I was trying to fix supper in my head. So, I made a menu for the next two weeks. With leftovers only 1 night from chili.
Well, I went to Wal-Mart first to get what I could in their limited food section (we must have the last unSuper Wal-Mart around! everyone else has one with grocery store in it). Grabbed a couple of things and when I went to write my check I remembered that I had a gift card w/ $10. So, I only spent $7.35 for 10 items. Then off to Kroger's. I did my WIC first, which saved me $18.23 & $18.62 with 15 items!! Then my regular shopping which is usually around $120 per week. I wrote $100 on my paper in bold print so that I wouldn't buy anything unneeded and not on my list.
Are you ready for this?!!!!

For a family of 5 for 2 weeks I only spent....

$43.52 !!!!!! Are you kidding me!!!!! : That was for 27 items!!!!
I'm blown away! This came to a grand total of: $50.87!!!! For us!!!

If you guys need a testimonial for anyone, I'm your gal!! (I really thought that you guys were kinda full of it! But, I couldn't be happier tonight!!!! )

Mama to my own amazing children..student midwife..home birth activist..and gestational surrogate-twin boys weighing 7lbs3oz & 8lbs4oz...vaginal, unmedicated forced induction @ 38w5d

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page