Does anyone want to track their September food spending together? - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 195 Old 09-25-2006, 12:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
oh mylanta this thread was supposed to help me be aware.... but gosh I love good food LOL

another 100. total being 513 for the month so far.... although I must say that it is lower than usual so thats good. maybe it will take me months to get it right.
#182 of 195 Old 09-26-2006, 02:22 AM

I need this thread sooo bad! I spend way too much on food and I really need help to lower my grocery bills. I spend over 800 a month on "the store". I buy only organic. It is not working because I am a sahm and we are in debt and oh boy I am grateful I found you guys
#183 of 195 Old 09-28-2006, 09:03 PM
Red

Bought green pappers at the farm stand and corn on the cob! WOn't have it much longer!

Anyway, with my other purchases, we spent another $45. I wanted to keep it at $40 this week.That makes it $489 for the month.I think that coudl be my final figure for the month, not bad for 2 adults and 2 teens who take thier lunches every day (dh too), DH needs his chocolate every day, etc.

Just as we seem to get a handle on things...our new exhaust system on our 1995 Honda cost $484!!! YOWIE!
#184 of 195 Old 10-01-2006, 08:51 PM
Red

So, I needed a head of cabbage for cole slaw and cream to make ice cream. I didn't MAKE teh ice cream yet, so we'll be eating it in OCTOBER. Does it really belong there?

I'm sticking it here.

$5. Makes our total $494.

Next month I hope to trim $50, at least. Maybe $100, as our pork will be in.
#185 of 195 Old 10-02-2006, 10:16 AM

My totals ended up getting a little reliant on memory, but I think we ended up with about $150 out and $220 in. We also have beef and a CSA share that we buy yearly that end up being another $100 per month.

I'm not sure what I think about the totals.
#186 of 195 Old 10-02-2006, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I ended the month around $700 for eating out and in. That's a lot of money! I guess I kinda knew it, but wow. So, I'm not sure what I really want to do about it? I mean, I want to buy organics, I want to go to restaurants that serve fresh food. But at the same time I want to be sure i'm not wasting things or depending on convenience food. I guess I need to evaluate exactly what my goals are going to be.

Should we do this again or do we need a new goal?
#187 of 195 Old 10-02-2006, 08:46 PM

I need to add all of mine up on here. I told you about a total of $53.10. That was in the middle of the month. Went to the grocery store, again after making a 2 week menu, and I am still so blown away!!!
I spent another $81.29.. but in my defense, we had my ds2's b-day party and I bought stuff to make a cake. Well, my dumbass made a bundt cake then he comes in and says that he wants a Batman and I couldn't figure out how to decorate it!!
With PMS and all, I went and bought a pre-made one and gave the other to my mom.
And yesterday was my birthday, so dh took me to Olive Garden (my absolute fav and I haven't been there in 3 months!) so we count that $27.
So, that would make my total for a whole month to be, including a night out!, and toiletries my grand total is $164.61.... yes, I typed that right! A family of five that normally would spend $120-$150 a week, spent less than $162... for a whole month!!!
You guys don't know how great this is for us!
With the extra money that I saved, I paid off 2 small bills, put stuff on layaway and finished buying all of the Christmas presents!

Mama to my own amazing children..student midwife..home birth activist..and gestational surrogate-twin boys weighing 7lbs3oz & 8lbs4oz...vaginal, unmedicated forced induction @ 38w5d
#188 of 195 Old 10-03-2006, 12:19 PM

580.69 for september for a family of 4.

where do you shave off the most while still wanting quality?

does anyone have goals for October after seeing what September was like?
#189 of 195 Old 10-03-2006, 12:42 PM

I ended up spending a little more than $200 for me and 2 toddlers..not bad at all especially considering I normally don't think twice about spending that much in 1 trip to the grocery store, let alone a whole month! and we even ATE alot better this month too as mostly everything was from scratch! this was a real eye opener for me! oh and to boot I also have alot of stuff in the freezer (at least 15 meals leftover) I made in Sept. as well I am doing OAMC (actually spread out over a period of days, but still the same concept) and it is SO cheap!

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#190 of 195 Old 10-03-2006, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

rainbowmoon,

what were your favorite OAMC recipes that you tried this month? do you have any tips that you learned? I always want to do it, but chicken out.
#191 of 195 Old 10-03-2006, 02:01 PM

here's what I made..lmk what recipes you'd like and I will post them!

black bean/sweet potato burritos
veggie burritos
black bean and cheese burritos
cheese/bean enchiladas-these came out kind of dry after freezing..
mexican rice
veggie lasagna
soups (lentil, pepper,minestrone)
homemade bread to go with the soups
pizzas
pizza beans (these can go on anything from bread to pasta/rice,etc. good for dinner in a hurry!
quiche
muffins/sweet breads/cookies-some of these didn't freeze so well so I need to refine what I am doing a bit,
pancakes,waffles
breakfast buritoes (eggs,cheese and beans)

yes we eat ALOT of beans. usually at least 1 meal a day.. my kiddos love beans though and eat them right up no matter what they are in! we are vegetarian so it is a staple here!

I could save at least another $10+ a month if I knew how to make my tortillas round I buy at least 2 packs of 30 flour and a large pack of corn ones every month. every time I make them from scratch though they come out all funky. I need to get someone to show me first hand..

I also could save more if I made all my beans from scratch but I do buy them in cans most of the time..

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#192 of 195 Old 10-03-2006, 10:30 PM
Red

So is this our October thread? 'Cause I shopped today.

I''ll have to refinethis total when I find the slips. I think I spent about $165 on food. I couldn't get a list together for the life of me, so I took one from a few weeks ago, with the menus spelled out on the back. At least I got everything I need for the week, plus some extra.

My goal this month is to drop my food only portion to $400. It was about $600 before I started this! Last month was nearly $500.
#193 of 195 Old 10-04-2006, 02:48 PM

So I got bad about tracking the specifics, but I think my overall total for September was aroudn $525--actually not that bad considering how the month started.

This was so helpful--knowing I was up against a limit really made me evaluate things more carefully. We CD, but not at night or when we go on outings, and when we ran out of disposables last month, I decided to try super-extra-double-secret stuffed Fuzzi Bunz--and they worked just fine. So that's going to save us a chunk in the future.
#194 of 195 Old 10-04-2006, 03:18 PM

well I ended up at 360.45-I had budgeted 340.00-I'm working on doing better this month!
#195 of 195 Old 10-04-2006, 04:14 PM

I'm going to start a Oct thread for a clean slate!

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page