Frugal and sensible choice for sheets? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 39 Old 11-17-2006, 10:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Higher standards, in part. I know that my grandmother has sheets that she's been using for decades, but you know what? They feel like it to me.
#32 of 39 Old 11-17-2006, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathirynne View Post
And, if the sheets wear out before you think they should, Land's End will replace them for free.
The color choices are very nice,too!
#33 of 39 Old 11-18-2006, 09:08 AM

I get my sheets from Tuesday morning, tjmaxx, marshalls, overstock and bj's. I like a high thread count where it feels like butter. We tend to change/wash our sheets 2 or 3 times/week on hot. So far I haven't had any sheets wear out, but again. I have sheet that are 600+ thread count and I usually really look for a good hand to the fabric. I've never paid more than $100 and I've found stuff from frette, sferra brothers, peacock alley and other higher end brands. Tuesday Morning has been my best source. You have to go in alot since the stock is so random...but when you score, you score. Heck I saw a Ralph Lauren home leather lamp that I saw in Domino mag for $1500, for $119. That place rocks!

Sabrina , mom to 4 fab kids!

#34 of 39 Old 11-18-2006, 01:10 PM

I like Overstock for buying bedding. Last year I bought 600 thread count sheets and an 800 thread count duvet cover and sham set. They feel wonderful!! I like the wide variety of colors they offer as well.
#35 of 39 Old 11-18-2006, 04:42 PM

Another vote for landsend. You can buy in sets, or singles. I LOVE landsend sheets and REFUSE to sleep in anything else.
#36 of 39 Old 11-19-2006, 03:13 PM

I really like the Ikea sheets. I haven't tried their cheaper sheets, but the higher quality sheets come in a queen size set (flat, fitted, 2 pillowcases) for $50. They feel SO nice. I haven't had mine too long, but my mom has had hers for several years and they're still going strong.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#37 of 39 Old 11-19-2006, 08:25 PM

I was recently considering buying 1600 TC sheets (they were on sale - less than half price). They seemed crisp and sturdy to me.

In the end I walked into a shop and they were having a clearance so I got 350 TC instead. They were reduced from $120 to $30.

We have Egyptian flanelette sheets for winter and they were about $65. They're sooooo soft and comfortable.
#38 of 39 Old 11-19-2006, 11:45 PM

If you don't have allergy issues, washing your sheets less often and on lower temperatures can help them last longer. You also might want to consider lowering your standards- are small holes or repaired holes really a problem?

You can also use one of your flat sheets as a bottom sheet now if you don't want to buy new sheets immediately.
#39 of 39 Old 11-19-2006, 11:51 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, everyone! I should have mentioned from the get-go that repairing the hole really won't make much of a difference. For one thing, it's a 2-inch tear, and for another, the area all around it is paper-thin, so I think another rip would just be a metter of time. I'm keeping it, though, for when I run out of rags, the next time we paint, or for when dd gets into fort-building.

I did hit Bed, Bath, and Beyond this weekend, and I really scored! I went in planning to get just a fitted sheet, but couldn't find any 100% cotton ones for less than $42. : So, I went ahead and bought a whole sheet set for $32! I had a 20% off coupon, and the original price was $40, so when all was said and done, I got more for less. They're nice ones, too! 450 thread count, very thick-feeling (at least compared to my whispy-thin old ones) and a pretty textured windowpane pattern. Score!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page