I think the time is coming for a no-spend/pantry challenge month. - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#91 of 113 Old 12-29-2006, 11:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlkm2e View Post
I have no idea how to make a blog : But it looks like fun, I love reading other people's. We eat yummy stuff, but usually pretty plain. Lots of stirfry's, grilled veggies with just olive oil and lemon juice. Lots of raw fruit. We eat meat, too. Usually just cooked on the stove with some seasoning. I was a really picky eater until my first was born. I decided I wanted her to eat well, so I needed to learn to eat well. Now I love most veggies and we hardly eat any junk food. Fast food went out over this summer. I enjoy cooking and planning just not cleaning up I'm proud to say my dd is a great eater, her favorite food is asparagus! Well, that and vanilla ice cream
Dd (4) is sooo picky and I just can't relate. I came from "eat it and like it" people and I usually do. DD, on the other hand, doesn't like something if it has a brown spot on it, if it's unsymetrical, etc. etc. etc. Ds (2) eats like a mini-adult, everything from curry to grilled onions and mushrooms and cesar salad. He is a fabulous eater. I guess I just want Dd to have good nutrition and enough choices but it's soooo hard. She comments about every freaking thing I put on her plate. Another odd bit: she eats a very large breakfast, a medium sized lunch and a tiny dinner.
#92 of 113 Old 12-30-2006, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vixenmama View Post
Another odd bit: she eats a very large breakfast, a medium sized lunch and a tiny dinner.
Good for her! They say that's the healthiest way to eat, or graze throughout the day and don't have any large meals. My older dd is the same way - the amount she will eat at breakfast blows me away.

~Beth, mama to two amazing girls, ages 12 and 6~

#93 of 113 Old 12-30-2006, 06:20 PM

I'm totally in! After a couple months of really mindless spending : and a huge pantry and deep freeze bursting at the seams, we really need to smarten up around here. I think we have enough food in this house to do the pantry challange for 6 months yet we're still constantly at the grocery store for no other reason than pure laziness. Easier to pick up something quick rather than get creative and use what we have.

I'm just heading out the door to Costco to pick up some basics (mayo, mustard, ketchup, a months worth of lunch meat and a few other things to help make meals out of what we have here). Other than that, for the month of January I'll be buying only fresh produce (which we get from an organic delivery service) and dairy (which we also get delivered) so there's no need to even enter a grocery store and be tempted. We've got tons of personal care items in the bathroom cupboards so I don't think we'll run out of that stuff. We use mostly cloth instead of disposable around the house so we're good there too.

January will be the month that I actually see my bank account in the black instead of the red (I hope!).

. : Jill, mama to 5 kiddos, soon to be 6 in June 2013 : .

#94 of 113 Old 12-30-2006, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunflowerMommy View Post
I'm totally in! After a couple months of really mindless spending : .....
My Costco bill the Friday before Christmas was.....um, how do I say this, what my family spends a month on groceries, and we are not thrifty shoppers. : (that did include 3 bottles of champagne (gifts) and some new sonicare toothbrush heads--and oh yea, we had crab legs and shrimp for Christmas dinenr) We're not hedonists, really, but once a year (with family) we have a really fabulous dinner and this was it.

Anyway, I cleaned out the pantry yesterday (new year's decluttering challenge) and I realized that a lot of what we have is "holiday" or "junk" food. Bags and bags of nuts, chocolates, truffles cookies, brownies, etc. etc.

My freezer is stuffed too, but I'm not sure what I have in there now...I guess that is what I'll be doing tonight.

Anyway, even if I have to shop for real food a bit more than I planned I'll stick with the spirit of the thing and use up everything we possibly can.

I love the idea of the cornstarch pudding.
#95 of 113 Old 12-30-2006, 06:47 PM

Dh was rooting through our pantry today and pulled out a half full box of bran flakes. he said, "I'm just gonna pitch this because we never eat it".
I screamed NO! I told him about the pantry challenge and told him we have to stop throwing out all our food.
So...what to do with bran flakes? not bread or muffins as I am a bread hound and trying to lose some weight.
#96 of 113 Old 12-30-2006, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softmama View Post
not bread or muffins
Doh!

No seriously, you could make some very HEALTHY muffins that weren't so snackalicious, with very minimal sugar. They would be full of fiber which is great when slimming.

I can't wait to see if someone knows what to do with bran that's not bread or muffins...could it be used as a breading on chicken or fish?
#97 of 113 Old 12-30-2006, 07:35 PM

I'm in. No-spend January sounds like fun!
#98 of 113 Old 12-30-2006, 11:41 PM

I'm in!

My Rules:

1. Necessities only: dairy and produce most weeks
2. Shop in the 10 items or less aisle
3. One "snack" item a week for pregnancy cravings
4. Make own bread
#99 of 113 Old 12-30-2006, 11:57 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Softmama View Post
Dh was rooting through our pantry today and pulled out a half full box of bran flakes. he said, "I'm just gonna pitch this because we never eat it".
I screamed NO! I told him about the pantry challenge and told him we have to stop throwing out all our food.
So...what to do with bran flakes? not bread or muffins as I am a bread hound and trying to lose some weight.
You could crush the flakes up and use them for breading. You could also use them as a binder for meatloaf.

Mama to Munchkin  and Chickadee ...and co-parent to 3 additional bundles of energy!
#100 of 113 Old 12-31-2006, 04:03 AM

I'm sooooo ready. I was thinking it would kind of defeats the purpose if I stocked up beforehand, but oh well, we went to Costco tonight with my mom, and I spent $155 (yikes! the most ever there). For the most part it was "staples" that will round out our meals (or so I keep telling myself ):

Feta, olive oil, canned salmon, and balsamic vinegar (my DH makes slamming salads with this stuff, and if he has it available, he will ALWAYS take lunch to work with him)
Ketchup, mayo, etc.
A bag of trail mix (to keep DH away from the vending machines) and cranberries and raisins for the girls' snacks (and for cookies and muffins)
Giganto bag of chocolate chips (for pancakes, cookies, and desserts, the girls will be satisfied with 5-6 chips as a dessert, plus a piece of fruit).
Lots and lots of eggs!
Whole wheat pasta
A flat of granny smith apples (for baked apples, apple oatcakes, and my favorite apple muffins, which we bake in triple batches and freeze)
Red peppers (just because I love them so, in everything)
Chicken sausage (which DH took apart and wrapped in packs of two, so none goes to waste)

I'm planning to only buy dairy and produce this month, and I actually have a lot of frozen veggies and frozen milk put away, so maybe I won't even need to go to the store at all! I got my Frontier co-op order in today, so I'm stocked up on toiletries and cleaning stuff. I'm starting to make the switch to cloth TP (mainly for me, and maybe DD if I can get her on board), and we pretty much use cloth everything else. I think I'm set.

As for the no-spend, I don't think that will be too much of a problem. I may have to buy more bG 2.0s, since they're the only thing that seems to working for the toddler these days, but I'll see if I can't sell other dipes first in order to buy new ones.

I'm ready to roll! Happy new year, everyone!

Melissa, a homeschooling, caffix.gif-guzzling, SAHM of two: reading.gif (11) and joy.gif(8)
#101 of 113 Old 12-31-2006, 10:28 AM

Mellisel,

will you post your apple muffin recipe?
Thanks
#102 of 113 Old 12-31-2006, 12:04 PM

hmmm...ok, I'm going to make meatloaf tonight and crush up some bran flakes into it. also going to use them later in the week to make some really healthy muffins...which brings me to my next questions. I have a bunch of flaxseed. I use it whole on my oatmeal, but everythig I read says to crush it. I was going to use it in the muffins with the bran flakes. I can use it whole right? I'm not missing any health benefits by not crushing it, am I?
You guys have me so excited....
I need to sit down and inventory my freezer tonight (good new years eve activity, huh?)
#103 of 113 Old 12-31-2006, 12:32 PM

So should we start a new thread to officailly start this gig???:

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#104 of 113 Old 12-31-2006, 12:46 PM

Softmama, the way I understand it, you need to grind/crush the seeds up. I use a coffee grinder.

We are eating leftovers from the fridge today to clear some space for things from the freezer. I am out of fruit, but am going to try to make it through the week without buying groceries. I have somee frozen fruit and raisins and cranberrries...

I'm also going to cook some carrots tonight b/c they've been in my fridge for weeks. I hopee the health benefits aren't toatally gone.:
#105 of 113 Old 12-31-2006, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlkm2e View Post
Mellisel,

will you post your apple muffin recipe?
Thanks
Certainly We love these.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...69&postcount=2

These are awesome too, posted here by ***Heather***:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Scottis...es/Detail.aspx

And yes, you need to grind flax seeds for them to be effective, otherwise they pass through your body whole and undigested.

Melissa, a homeschooling, caffix.gif-guzzling, SAHM of two: reading.gif (11) and joy.gif(8)
#106 of 113 Old 12-31-2006, 01:35 PM

Ok, about the whole flaxseed thing. while they are whole they can just sit in my pantry right? Once I grind them, do I put them in the fridge/freezer if I have extra?
#107 of 113 Old 12-31-2006, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

The OFFICIAL January thread.

I am sooooo pumped!

~laura
and planning to eat it again
#108 of 113 Old 01-01-2007, 03:51 PM

im in.... we did our biweekly shopping on friday, and only spent 112, which is good for us, usually its between 200 and 250.... i got meals for 3 weeks mostly out of our pantry and freezer with that, so im happy. i dont think we'll do the no spend, but since we're moving back to the states in 4 or so months, its time to start decluttering and selling off our 220V appliances and stuff like that.... including the freezer, lol

*~*Ashley*~* newly single mama to Tristan 10/01/2007
#109 of 113 Old 01-02-2007, 12:36 PM

Well. I did my shopping on Sun. I am good for a while, I hope. This whole pantry challenge got me to thinking about all the shampoo and lotion and bodywash stuff that I have. I pledge to use it all before buying any more. Even if I get bored with the stuff. Also, I bought a big package of handkercheifs. No more kleenex for me. Dh is alarmed by this, but I told him I won't make him do it! My goal is to reduce, reuse, recycle... I am also going to make my own household cleaners (need an all-purpose recipe, tho ) Anyway. I'm excited.

me luxlove.gif+ dh kewl.gif= dd reading.gif , ds mischievous.gif , ds2 biggrinbounce.gif, dd2 baby.gif

#110 of 113 Old 01-02-2007, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurumama View Post
As odd as this sounds, if you mash in 1 oz of cream cheese for every lb of potatoes, they freeze beautifully.
Yeah, that is how I fix them already! Well, maybe a little more cream cheese Thank you for the response.
#111 of 113 Old 01-04-2007, 06:50 AM

Three full days in and 2 have been NO SPEND days.

$6.50 at the grocery so far and we are going today for bread, eggs, cream and apples.
#112 of 113 Old 01-08-2007, 06:03 AM

How is everyone doing so far?

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#113 of 113 Old 01-09-2007, 03:26 AM

Doing good so far.... only spent $64 last week on food and it is carrying us partway through this week too.

Kelly, mama to DD energy.gif : (3-30-06) and DS bouncy.gif 7/28/09) ....and gummi, due 3-30-13! (large sch....praying.gif)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page