The OFFICIAL January NO-SPEND & PANTRY Challenges!!! anyone can join, come on in! - Page 17 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#481 of 489 Old 01-29-2007, 09:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm definitely in for Feb too! This has been a lot of fun to get creative and save money at the same time! We haven't gotten our credit card bill yet, but by my calculations we spent about $1,500 less than we normally do -- I'm not sure if I should be happy or really concerned - or both!

One of the noticeable changes is not one thing spoiled in our fridge the whole time. I made us all eat leftovers whether we liked it or not

Anyway, even though I didn't think our pantry was that full, a lot of stuff got used up, and there's still plenty to get used up for the February challenge. We reduced our grocery bill by at least half each week (more than that most weeks). I was able to plan a lot of meals primarily based on stuff in our pantry & freezer.

See you in Feb!
#482 of 489 Old 01-29-2007, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bec View Post
Now, if I could get DH to ONLY buy the things on our list! I sent him out for milk yesterday, and he came back with milk, crackers, ice cream, soda, and canned water.: So much for my only spending $5 on groceries this week.
My guess is he'll come around. Dh was the same way, but I kept hammering at him that we need to 'stick to the list.' If he really thinks something's a good deal or *has* to have something, he can either call me from the store on his cell to ask whether it is a good deal (usually it's not, he's not as good with prices as I am) or use his own fun money to buy it. And then there's me where an impulse buy is something like yogurt because the toddler ate it all and I'd forgotten to put it on the list.

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
#483 of 489 Old 01-30-2007, 01:11 PM

My month in review:

*I have improved in really, really thinking out purchases.
*I have become grossly discussed by comsumerism :Puke
*I have made meals from scratch....using what I had on hand
*I realized....I CAN cook! : I just need to be willing to try!
*We still spend WAY too much money! This is the area that needs to really be focused on.
*Eating out is still out of control
*Dh has been taking lunches 75% of the time (used to eat out DAILY!!! )
*Been bringing food to the dance academy for kids and I maybe 25% of time (needs to improve)
*We really need to establish a budget we will follow
*Routines are improving
*Decluttering is going well (got rid of 430 out of 1000 goal so far....two days to go )

So....alot of improvement Still have a ways to go.

Thank you all for sharing in this journey with me. I have learned SOOOOO much just by reading all of the wisdom shared in this thread :

Looking forward to Feb challenge!

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#484 of 489 Old 01-30-2007, 01:38 PM

I want to be in for Feb too. There's still some stuff in my pantry I need to use up. Unless I have y'all to report in to, I just won't do it. You're like the pantry police!

I need to get the Jan grocery total from my CFO (DH!) Once he gives me my numbers I'll post them whether I'm embarrassed or not.

I resonate with what AngelBee says about really, really thinking about purchases. I've cut way back on convenience snack food purchases. I know we've saved money there, and saved junk food calories too no doubt.

Here's a victory -- Costco had a coupon for those Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches. It expired Sunday. I went to Costco for some things we actually needed. I saw the coupon. I walked past the case with the Skinny Cows in it. I saw the boxes of Skinny Cows. I know how yummy they are. I wanted them. I started justifying how it was almost the end of the challenge, and I've done so well, and the coupon expires so I need to use it now. Then I stopped myself. Did I really *need* those? Were they essential? Were they even essential in a convenient way (like the corn dogs I got for my DDs' lunches)? Nope. They're not. Delicious? Yes. Coupon? Yes. Essential? No. So I passed them by!!! Yay for me!!!
#485 of 489 Old 01-30-2007, 01:39 PM

Ordering take out has been a problem for us. When we were moving, we agreed that we'd give in and do it more often because we were packing and living in utter chaos. But now that we're in the new digs, we're still doing it. I finally figured out what the dynamic is, and it goes like this:

turtle wants take-out. I say no and make another plan for us because I'm totally stressed about money. This makes her want take-out more so another time, when maybe there are other things she might want to make, she'll order take-out. It's crazy-making, for both of us. She feels limited in what she can do when talking with me first, so she orders when I'm not home, then I see the containers in the fridge and blah blah blah.

So, we're setting aside some cash every month specifically for take-out. Once it's gone for the month, it's gone. Anything extra at the end of the month gets put into savings, something we're both committed to increasing.

I think it's going to work!
#486 of 489 Old 01-30-2007, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprildawn View Post
Here's a victory -- Costco had a coupon for those Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches. It expired Sunday. I went to Costco for some things we actually needed. I saw the coupon. I walked past the case with the Skinny Cows in it. I saw the boxes of Skinny Cows. I know how yummy they are. I wanted them. I started justifying how it was almost the end of the challenge, and I've done so well, and the coupon expires so I need to use it now. Then I stopped myself. Did I really *need* those? Were they essential? Were they even essential in a convenient way (like the corn dogs I got for my DDs' lunches)? Nope. They're not. Delicious? Yes. Coupon? Yes. Essential? No. So I passed them by!!! Yay for me!!!
I had the same conversation with myself about those. But my final thoughts were a) I'm trying to lose weight, not gain, b) there's no room in my freezer and c) we're trying to cut costs, not increase. I'm getting pretty good at psyching myself out like that at the grocery store.

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
#487 of 489 Old 01-30-2007, 04:02 PM

Good job aprildawn

frog....that is something dh and I have been talking about. Setting alittle aside for eating out so that we do not feel like total failures if we do it and then blow the rest of our budget.

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#488 of 489 Old 01-31-2007, 11:10 AM

Wanted to check in for the end of the month (assuming I keep dh out of the store today)-

I spent $121.27 on groceries (for 3 of us- me being prego and a toddler that eats as much as a grown man)- plus what we ate was largely organic. My goal was 120, so not too bad

On the no spend challenge I kept with this, I bought no little knickknacks or such. I spent $3 on a birthday gift (new in box from goodwill) and $10 on a baby shower gift (bought with a gift card), that was the entirety of what I purchased other than food.

On eating out, we ended up $4 over, as dh took Luke on a little trip, I made a big meal before hand, and evidently Luke didn't eat enough as he got hungry on the way there and back, and I didn't pack anything. However, I avoided many meals out by waiting or packing things.

Next month I definitely need to do some stocking, but I think I can still keep it pretty close to the total for this month.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#489 of 489 Old 02-01-2007, 01:58 AM

just wanted to say it's been great being in this thread this month. i hope to join in again in march and/or april!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page