What Economic Class are you? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: What income class would you consider your family to be in?
Low-Income 80 23.26%
Middle-Class 223 64.83%
Upper-Class 30 8.72%
Other, please explain! 11 3.20%
Voters: 344. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 122 Old 01-17-2007, 06:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I initially voted middle class, but after reading the article and the thread would say we are upper middle class (based on level of education & professional/managerial job histories and net worth) and middle income for our area (though we would be upper middle income in other parts of the country).

We live in a smallish house we own & own two cars (one really old & one really new with no payments on either). We have saved a fair amount of money for retirement, have decent health insurance & can afford for me to sah ft if we live modestly without compromising our well-being.

BJ
Barney, Ben & soon to be #3!!!
#62 of 122 Old 01-17-2007, 08:17 PM

According to wiki, we are lower middle class educationally, and upper class by income We are both professionals (me despite not having any real paper qualifications).

We own our own home, and have no debt besides mortgage. This is by deliberate policy, we hate debt, use credit cards but don't buy anything on them we can't pay off by the end of the month. I guess it comes down to that we don't buy what we can't afford, and have no interest in keeping up with the Jones'. I'd rather have retirement savings and school funds than a flashy car. This may be because I come from a poor background.

We do live in an extremely expensive area, though, I believe Boston is 3rd most expensive in the US, after NY and San Francisco. So we don't feel upper class, that's for sure.
#63 of 122 Old 01-17-2007, 08:31 PM

We are most definitely low income.
#64 of 122 Old 01-17-2007, 08:50 PM

low-income

i make < $10,000 / yr after taxes. :
#65 of 122 Old 01-17-2007, 10:10 PM

Ok, so after reading the wikipedia blurb... I guess I would fall into the middle-middle class bracket 9I would expl more, but I am nursing)...

Mom to 7-year old DS1 carrot.gif, 2 year old DD joy.gifand DS2 surf.gif

#66 of 122 Old 01-18-2007, 03:20 AM

we are solidly middle-class...college degrees, professional job, average wages. I feel rich,though....
#67 of 122 Old 01-18-2007, 04:01 AM

Top 15% income, but middle class.
#68 of 122 Old 01-18-2007, 09:44 AM

i don't know what class we are. middle?

dh works and earns 75K ($4631 a month after tax). i am a sahm and get about 6.5K ($420 a month + supplement at the end of the year) in tax benefits for 2 kids (we live in australia).
we have a mortgage, one which are going to get rid of in the next few months by selling our home because it is much cheaper for us to rent. when we do rent, we will be putting in at the very least 2.5K a month in savings (term-deposit).
we have two cars - a SUV and a ford falcon - both paid off.
we won't have any debt other than our mortgage, come march the 7th. right now we have around $3000 in debt.
we don't live paycheck to paycheck. we don't spend like maniacs either.
dh is an electrical engineer and is the head of the engineering department at the company he works for (he has only been there for one and a half years). i was completing a med sci-chemistry degree but pulled out due to complications in my dd's pregnancy. have not returned since.
dh is 31 and i'm 25.
#69 of 122 Old 01-18-2007, 09:58 AM

Our income is in the top 15% according to wiki. We both have BA/BS degrees, we have 2 cars (one pd. for, one not) we have a modest home (most of our friends live in mini mansions), I shop thrift, gw and sales, I shop at aldi's and other discount places, but we have alot of material things and we do have debt too. I always consider us in the middle. There are people who have more than we do and people who have less.
We're working hard on living with less (or living below our means).

Sabrina , mom to 4 fab kids!

#70 of 122 Old 01-18-2007, 10:36 AM

ok so according to wiki, we would classify as upper middle class.. or at least my dh would as he is the one who completed his university degree and is earning the dough. i'm not working and don't plan to for a very long time (i want to homeschool my two girls). i will however be going back to complete my degree at uni when my eldest is around 5-6years old. if i had finished it i would have been a chemist in the medical field by now.

i forgot to mention that dh is doing his masters and has other qualifications too (mechanic and electrician).
#71 of 122 Old 01-18-2007, 10:53 AM

Wow, I voted low income, because DH is the only on that works and we live on about 50K a year for 6 people, but now I'm looking at some of the other things that matter, and now I see things differently. We have no debt, we own our house, our cars are paid off, and mine is only a couple of years old. No credit card debt at all. We live quite well on so little money, but I guess because we only pay for utilities (electric bill, phone/internet and TV) and essentials (car insurance, groceries-all organic top quality food, clothes, gas for cars) After that it's all up to me to figure out where the rest of it goes. No we don't have savings, but we aren't broke the day before pay day often either. We don't have any kind of government assistance, not even wic or medicaid. I have to say we are doing quite well. I went to culinary school, and could be making really good money right now, but I prefer to pass my skills along to my children rather than work outside of the home. I feel like my kids would benefit more from me being at home on a smaller income than living "large" or whatever on a double income. Not bad for a 27 and a 30 YO huh? I am proud of our little family, and how well we have done all by ourselves. I guess we are more like working class/middle class. I don't think it's really how much you make per year, I think it's really all about your amount of debt in relation to your income. I look at all of these extravagant houses popping up around my little 3 bedroom rancher, and think I wonder how much money they owe to get that?: I would take my little life with not too many worries, over their in debt up to their eyeballs any day

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=802589268Blissed out Mama of 4 Peace.gif
#72 of 122 Old 01-18-2007, 05:14 PM

I would have to say upper middle class (but live like we are working class)- we have advanced degrees, I am a SAHM, my DH is an architect, we have no credit card debt, own our cars free and clear...we just have a mortgage for a modest home and huge student loans but that is only a small payment each month. We both have 401K's and the kids have 529 plans that we contribute to monthly. We have close to 6 mos salary put away in mutual funds and money market accounts.

We try to live as frugally as possible because it wasn't too long ago we were BROKE. When my DH and I got married I quickly became pregnant and stayed at home. That was an incredible adjustment and I don't ever want to be that broke again, so we live frugally.
#73 of 122 Old 01-18-2007, 05:51 PM

Low-income, poor, about $3k above the federal poverty line.
#74 of 122 Old 01-18-2007, 09:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I voted middle class for my family.

According to wiki I am professional class / upper middle class. My salary is higher then the median and I have a professional type job. But I did not finish my degree, short by 2 classes.

My sons father is upper middle class (due to his doctorate degree and profession) but has low pay (1000/month)

In the town I live, the cost of living is quite good and housing prices are reasonable and seemingly attainable (100,000 - 145,000 can get you a house in middle class area (old house not new house)) but the property taxes in the county are out of wack (and are highest per value of house in the US - my monthly payment -> 50% towards mortgage and 50% towards taxes.)

Sara - Mum to C (10/02) ; m/c 10/07; 7/08; 3/09; Lucy Olive Feb 28, 2010 !
#75 of 122 Old 01-19-2007, 02:12 AM

Low income here....DH made $11,000 last year. We get food stamps, medicaid, and now rent assistance. HOWEVER....I graduate from nursing school in May and have already accepted a full-time job where I will make $21.50 an hour and $25.50 if I work nights. So...our income will go WAY up...right now DH makes $12 an hour and works only when the hospital has a spot for him...so his hours fluctuate regularly.

We are a family of 6 so things are always very tight.
Alicia

Get "101 Tips That Burn Belly Fat Daily
    For  Free thumb.gif , Visit Here 

#76 of 122 Old 01-19-2007, 02:16 AM

Upper/professional class by education, lower-middle class by income.
#77 of 122 Old 01-19-2007, 10:21 AM

I would say we are upper middle class. I'm 34, my husband is 33. Our home is paid off. We don't owe on any of our vehicles and we have very little credit card debt. I'm a SAHM to three kids.
#78 of 122 Old 01-19-2007, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyndmamaof4 View Post
Wow, I voted low income, because DH is the only on that works and we live on about 50K a year for 6 people, but now I'm looking at some of the other things that matter, and now I see things differently. We have no debt, we own our house, our cars are paid off, and mine is only a couple of years old. No credit card debt at all. We live quite well on so little money, but I guess because we only pay for utilities (electric bill, phone/internet and TV) and essentials (car insurance, groceries-all organic top quality food, clothes, gas for cars) After that it's all up to me to figure out where the rest of it goes. No we don't have savings, but we aren't broke the day before pay day often either. We don't have any kind of government assistance, not even wic or medicaid. I have to say we are doing quite well. I went to culinary school, and could be making really good money right now, but I prefer to pass my skills along to my children rather than work outside of the home. I feel like my kids would benefit more from me being at home on a smaller income than living "large" or whatever on a double income. Not bad for a 27 and a 30 YO huh? I am proud of our little family, and how well we have done all by ourselves. I guess we are more like working class/middle class. I don't think it's really how much you make per year, I think it's really all about your amount of debt in relation to your income. I look at all of these extravagant houses popping up around my little 3 bedroom rancher, and think I wonder how much money they owe to get that?: I would take my little life with not too many worries, over their in debt up to their eyeballs any day
Sounds like we are very similar. Most of my friends are living in houses that they really can't afford. I'll take my little three bedroom house anyday. It's paid for and I sleep very well at night. We have money for vacations and other fun family things that my friends either can't afford or they put it on credit cards. You've done really well to be so young. Keep up the good work!
#79 of 122 Old 01-19-2007, 01:20 PM

We are upper middle class, I think, at least for our area. We have an income of around $100,000/year but loads of debt. Loads. We will hopefully be almost out of debt by the end of 2007, though, thank GOD.
#80 of 122 Old 01-19-2007, 01:25 PM

well, we own our own home and we have two cars. both our cars are valued at less than $500. combined we make about 1400 a month. we do not have any debt. we recieve government assistance in the form of medicaid and foodstamps.

i would consider ourselves upper lower class, lol.

Mom to two perfect kids earth.gif  surrogate to two sweetpotatos heartbeat.gifheartbeat.gif born 4.21.11  

I love someone with ataxia telangiectasia http://www.atcp.org

#81 of 122 Old 01-19-2007, 01:26 PM

Under poverty line income wise, but educated with a grad degree.
#82 of 122 Old 01-19-2007, 01:29 PM

We are middle class- $55K before taxes- one car payment and one BIG mortgage for a tiny house.

neither of us have degrees- but dh is close. I've just got a mish mash of credits that dont amount to much.

We tend to want to live upper class- because dh comes from upper class family, and I was raised upper/middle. But we feel like Lower middle is a better goal for us. (we're trying to conquer our materialism)
#83 of 122 Old 01-19-2007, 03:29 PM

We are middle-middle class. But newly so. We have a large amount of debt, mortgage, cc debt, and student loan. Hopefully in 10 years we have no debt and will be able to enjoy our income.
#84 of 122 Old 01-19-2007, 03:43 PM

We are also well under the poverty line, but with graduate degrees and, on my side, having grown up upper-middle class.

(my husband is an immigrant from Eastern Europe so the "American class system", as it were, can't really be applied to him)
#85 of 122 Old 01-19-2007, 07:20 PM

Low income, but still classy.

Our income is in EIC and WIC territory and we pay $0 tax, but we are quite comfortable right now with a low house payment, car completely paid for, no CC debt. Actually no debt besides our mortgage. We aren't extravagant but we have some nice wiggle room. We don't have to nickel-and-dime right now and that is so NICE. I even was able to go shopping and get some nice professional clothes that *fit*.
#86 of 122 Old 01-19-2007, 07:34 PM

Let's see, income wise we are middle. Class wise I feel upper, well not millionaire/celebrity upper class, but upper as we are doing better than most. We have no debt other than a relatively small mortgage, own 2 cars, have a decent amount saved for retirement, as well as a fair size emergency fund. However, I guess to most we would look and seem pretty low class as the vehicles we drive are 10 and 12 y.o., and we don't have things many people assoicate with class, we live simply.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#87 of 122 Old 01-19-2007, 08:22 PM

For around here, lower class. Detached single-family homes in this area are around 600k and up unless it needs a lot of work. We can't afford that, so we're in the slum part of town that hasn't quite been McMansionized. They're heading our way, but haven't made it to our neighbourhood yet. We need to be out of here before it gets this far.

We have two cars (one new since August), and our debt consists of the new car and our house ('condo'). The husband's job is white collar -- he's dragged into all the upper management/head officers meetings. We're prone to expensive hobbies, but we don't buy stuff without having cash on hand by the time the cc statement is due. Hence, no credit card debt. We also have enough savings to cover most major emergencies.

I'm sure in other areas we'd be middle to upper class. We're the 'rich relatives' as far as most of our respective families are concerned. My one cousin's mother has said that she wants to live with my cousin and her now-husband (who live with his mother) because they're rich -- they have cable. :

2 happy kids makes for a happy mother.

#88 of 122 Old 01-19-2007, 11:56 PM

We are in the middle class range, finally! We have struggled for years, but now I am finally able to stay home with the kids and let DH work. I will be starting my own business (from home, I hope) in the next few months, so that will help. We do have a lot of debt due to a grandparent visitation lawsuit brought on by my parents which allowed us to rack up 60K+ in lawyer fees....if not for that we would be living much more comfortably!
#89 of 122 Old 01-20-2007, 01:12 AM

There wasn't a lower-middle class, and that's where I would put us. We both have decent jobs and make living wages, but have a lot of debt to deal with and struggle more months than not with paying the bills. Dh comes from a family that didn't have even the remotest concept of fiscal responsiblity, and I come from a family that accepts financial struggle as part of the package. I'm hoping we can change the cycle for our children!
#90 of 122 Old 01-20-2007, 04:54 PM

I said other. Before I became a SAHM we were upper. Now upper-middle. Still, since we live in an expensive, high-income part of the country, we are less well-off in comparison to most of our neighbors.

I miss the perks of the higher income but I'd rather be home with DD.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page