What Economic Class are you? - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: What income class would you consider your family to be in?
Low-Income 80 23.26%
Middle-Class 223 64.83%
Upper-Class 30 8.72%
Other, please explain! 11 3.20%
Voters: 344. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 122 Old 05-30-2007, 04:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malva View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/packages/html.../index_01.html

Very interesting multimedia tool. When I saw it, I immediately thought of this thread.
That's a neat graph! I'll have to email this to my friends.

According to the graph, we're:

84th percentile for occupation
99th percentile for education
94th percentile for income
85th percentile for wealth
average: 90th percentile

I don't know what to think. It makes me seem better off than I am. It's not that I'm being unduly modest or self-effacing but I just don't think of us as in that bracket. I think of people in the 90th percentile as having new cars (we don't), fancy shmancy gadgets (we don't), maids ( dream on), and huge mansions. My husband catches two buses to work, we're paying off a big student loan, half of my daughter's clothes come from garage sales/Goodwill, and we wear clothes that are least 10 years old.

Normal is just a setting on your dryer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 122 Old 05-30-2007, 04:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookGoddess View Post
That's a neat graph! I'll have to email this to my friends.

According to the graph, we're:

84th percentile for occupation
99th percentile for education
94th percentile for income
85th percentile for wealth
average: 90th percentile

I don't know what to think. It makes me seem better off than I am. It's not that I'm being unduly modest or self-effacing but I just don't think of us as in that bracket. I think of people in the 90th percentile as having new cars (we don't), fancy shmancy gadgets (we don't), maids ( dream on), and huge mansions. My husband catches two buses to work, we're paying off a big student loan, half of my daughter's clothes come from garage sales/Goodwill, and we wear clothes that are least 10 years old.
I guess what it really means is that most people in this country are worse off than either of us thought.

We are solidly middle class. That means graduating HS with 1 college class taken. That means an income that still allows us to qualify for hefty amounts of EIC. That means we pay no income tax. It means that we have 1 car and it's 11 years old. And with careful planning and a nice dose of luck, we're homeowners for the second time, now. That's where any and all of our net worth is.
And my DH's job? Not exactly glamorous - he services natural gas pumping rigs out in the oil fields.

I do think the "income" bit is misleading as $45,000 for a single person will go a lot farther than $45,000 for a family of 8, or something.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page