Accountability thread (spin-off of shop-aholics) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-24-2007, 02:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am opening this thread to help keep us shop-aholics in line.

Report here everyday with your purchases or better yet..non-purchases.

Dh and I want to get a house so I need to get my spending under control. I need to be accountable somewhere.

Help keep me on track ladies.

I will start for today.

I paid a blance on shirts that I owed. $14 that came from my pp account.

I held my breath and skipped on the longies on fsot that I really wanted. I was proude of myself. It really was hard.

I will report again tomorrow night.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2007, 04:00 PM

I'm joining in...although I can only account for yesterday since today is only half done . I did buy a couple things but they were necessities for my classes...a VHS tape to record speeches (public speaking class...eek!) and some paper for my printer. I will be back tonight as well!
Old 01-24-2007, 04:17 PM

I didn't go to the local thrift store today even though it was calling my name Every Wednesday is 1/2 off day but my kids have more than enough clothing. I keep thinking about that "deal" I might of missed though

Maaaammaa!! to A 2/99 M 7/00 J 10/04 B 4/07 S 3/09
Old 01-24-2007, 04:18 PM

Oh and I did go to the po today to mail off a few TP items but I didn't stop at Dunkins for my coffee.... I brewed a pot at home

Old 01-24-2007, 04:24 PM

I did order DD a shirt off the internet, but I had been eyeing it for several months and always came back to it and it was on sale.

I'm not buying lunch out I'm reheating leftovers.
Old 01-24-2007, 05:11 PM

I'm in. Since we found out DS has Aspergers I've been on a binge.
Old 01-25-2007, 12:26 AM

Back to report I spent nothing the rest of the day. Yay me lol.
Old 01-25-2007, 01:58 AM - Thread Starter

Nice to see you ladies joining me

We can halp keep each other from spending.

I did really good today.

I went to the grocery store and only bought what was on my list which was all needed.

I successfully made it through the day without buying a diaper. Honestly, that is a huge accomplishmant for me.

Keep reporting back mamas
Old 01-25-2007, 02:45 AM

I just posted something in my blog about this. Then, lo-and-behold, I come across this thread!

I realized, today, that I have a problem. I spent $7.18 on cookies and ice cream today. :

So... I have decided to keep myself accountable for these 'impulse buys'. I'm definately in!
Old 01-25-2007, 04:48 AM

I am doing this in my blog as well!

-30 Walgreens. Medication, cases of water
-23 monthly water bill
Old 01-25-2007, 06:25 AM

i really need to curb my spending so maybe being held accountable will help me. Here is what i spent on wed:

$2.75ish for a venti americano
$45 for dinner at a veg*n restaurant for the three of us.

I did return a $25 book at the coffee place and didn't buy any other books. The dinner was at a place i may have my birthday party dinner so i met with the owner to discuss that.

Ughhh...Enough rationalizing and justifying.

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.
Old 01-25-2007, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

Urg!

I went out to eat with my sister.

I ended up spending $10. $5 was to bring dh something home and $5 for a tip. My sister paid for my meal. We have decided to know try to do our "dates" at my house.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:08 PM

Today I paid 15.00 to get our state and federal taxes done. I could have looked for a place to do the federal free but I used the same place as last year. I told my hubby I only had to pay for the state, I don't even know why I lied about something he wouldn't have cared about. I'm gonna have to tell him the truth tonight.

Mom to DD 14 and DS 12
Old 01-25-2007, 09:41 PM

Today I had to stop for a few household items but I had a GC with a balance of $17 something so I only spent $9 extra and I stuck to my list. I did though get lunch for me and ds#2 (around $6ish) but I did sell some things on the TP this evening Oh and I got the Lands End overstock catalog in the mail today.... yep I ordered a few pair of shorts for each dc but at $3.99 a pair I couldn't pass it up and Land's End wears well for my kids. I do try to get most of their clothes at thrift stores but I never seem to do well in finding them shorts, but now their summer wardrobes are all set.

Old 01-26-2007, 05:48 PM

i did not spend any money yesterday. we hung with friends at their house and played. i ate breakfast and lunch and coffee at home.

for dinner, we went to a 2 year old b-day party. i had bought a $5 dr sears book for him back in december and the food was covered by our generous hosts! then we played at the play area.

today, i have not spent any money either!

i made coffee and breakfast at home, went to a play date then came home for lunch. i am going to try on dresses (from a friend's closet!) for a wedding tomorrow and will probably make dinner with my friend at her house. we already gifted the wedding couple so no money there.

additionally, i sold something on craigslist yesterday and returned a broken toy to a store. so, i actually made about $15...

thanks for the inspiration!!! how are you all doing?

Old 01-26-2007, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

Hmmm..

I didn't do so good today.

I bought $47 worth of diapers off the Tp but in my defense ( ), I used money in my pp account from some stuff on ebay. still,though, I am dissappointed in myself because I should have saved that money.

Someone, Please tell me...MY KIDDOS DON'T NEED ANYMORE DIAPERS:

Other than, that, I am doing great. We are eating at my mom's tonight so free..yeah!!!!!!
Old 01-27-2007, 02:52 AM

I have been wondering what i spend on an average day. Now, that I am not spending money at all, I can see where/when I would have spent money. So much of it seems to be eating food or coffee outside of the house.

Anyone else gotten a better sense of where/when you usually spend since you tried to cut back?

Old 01-27-2007, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunter View Post
I have been wondering what i spend on an average day. Now, that I am not spending money at all, I can see where/when I would have spent money. So much of it seems to be eating food or coffee outside of the house.

Anyone else gotten a better sense of where/when you usually spend since you tried to cut back?
yes...I know most of my extra money goes towards diapers:

I have done great so far today. I really really wanted to go to the bakery this morning but resisted. I just ate food we already had at home. It felt great.

I have to go to Menards later to get detergent. Wish me luck on leaving with just that.
Old 01-27-2007, 05:40 PM

Great idea for a thread!
I did a small grocery shopping earlier today and really wanted to pick up lunch on the way home, but I didn't. We came home and everyone sort of picked what they wanted to have as I unpacked the bags.. sandwiches, fruit, etc.
So that's $12 or so that I didn't spend

~e, wife to my sweet T , mama to my turtleman (12) , sunshine (9 ), and monkey (6)
Old 01-29-2007, 03:37 AM

I checked my account yesterday and I have saved about $500 this month by being more aware of my spending. I am so happy! I get paid again in a few days too

I have about $600 of cc debt, so some will go toward that, my dh owes an attorney $900, so I'll make a payment on that and the rest will go into savings.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:11 PM

My new year's resolution was to not buy any more clothes... and to get rid of stuff. Was doing great for the 1st 3 weeks.
Then last Monday visited my sister and went outlet shopping. Got baby boy clothes at super clearance prices at The Children's Place outlet (~17 items for less than $50). Purchased size 12 mos and up only. He's 4 mos right now. Amazed at how many clothes size 12 mos and under that he has already. And we already gave away 2 bags of baby clothes! New goal: purchase no more baby clothes at all. Seems like people will probably keep giving us stuff anyway.
For myself: we're going to 2 weddings this summer/fall. Since I'm BF I need to wear skirt/top vs. dress. So I planned to get a cream color sleeveless top/cardigan to wear with 2 nice skirts that I already have. So what did I do?
I bought a white (wrong color) top/cardigan that probably won't match... and a purple mini skirt to go with it at the Fresh Produce outlet (3 items, $55).
And then yesterday I convinced DH to stop at another outlet mall and I bought a cream colored sleeveless wool sweater & cardigan (wrong season), and a black sweater at the Anne Taylor Outlet (3 items, $32). Now I still need something for the weddings! Incredible deals but what's wrong with me?
Old 01-29-2007, 04:32 PM

Thanks for this thread! I'm going to post here every day to keep myself in line! My latest problem is buying stuff for the new babe, today I bought a $20 pair of longies off the TP for the new baby. I rationalized it by saying that I don't have one pair of longies for him and they will be good for nighttime diapering. Plus the prices was great. I should add that we live in FL and he is due in June : so longies really aren't a necesity at all.

I vow not to spend any more money for the rest of today at least. I MUST stop buying things for this new baby too, I still have ALL of DS's clothes and many other baby things for him so we really don't need anything. It's just that it took us 5 mos and one m/c to get preg with this baby and I'm so excited to have him. I guess I need to display my happiness in another way.

Thanks for letting me get that out, it felt good!

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
Old 01-29-2007, 04:34 PM

Subbing

Yay to all of the mamas who have been able to keep their spending in line over the last few days! To all of the mamas who bought unnecessary things: you can always return them, and there is always tomorrow to do better.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
Old 01-29-2007, 08:18 PM

didn't spend any money on friday.

bought a coffee for DH on saturday.

i ate out for lunch yesterday after church but did split with dh and my dd, at least.

i did not spend any money today so far.

we kinda could use a grocery store trip today. Tomorrow is my birthday and i am hosting a playgroup. Then, there is a LLL meeting at my house on thursday morning (i am not a leader) and another meeting at my house thursday afternoon about that whole wal-mart and similac thing. so, i would like to have some goodies to share with folks, you know?

Old 01-30-2007, 01:36 AM - Thread Starter

Checking back in...

Today went great. I only spent money at the PO to ship off the co-op stuff and it was the purchaser's money not mine..

I went grocery shopping yesterday and did very good. I totally stuck to my list except for the pasta I picked up as well.

Old 01-30-2007, 01:49 AM

ok, i gotta join. i might not be an everyday poster, but i'll def. keep it in mind for myself. i need ot. i bought a couch today :

we're selling our house and it seriously needs a face lift. we had a ratty old futon that stuck out into the livingroom and made our already small room seem smaller. (and i have to say, it was a good price and it is the first piece of new furniture we have ever bought.)

there are things we need to get, so my goal is not to not spend *any* money, but to really only buy the things we truly need.

my dd and ds do *not* need any more clothes. not even thrift store clothes.

there are other things too. we have a cc balance to pay down...
dh recently got a new job w/ better, more predictable income (he was self-employed) and so the tendency is just to buy but i really, really don't want to get on that train. we are both so bad at that...

sigh.

ok. reigning it in now....

I am a homeopath, offering acute and constitutional consultations for children, babies, and parents. Long-distance treatment is easy, either phone or skype! I also am certified to offer Homeoprophylaxis, a vaccine-alternative program. Message me for more details. www.concentrichealing.com
Old 01-30-2007, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Keep your chin up ladies. We can do this.

I am going great so far today. I haven't spent a penny. My sis and I had our "date" for luch at home.

I passed on the diaper deals I wanted.

I did order some Veggie Booty from the Health Food store but that is in the grocery budget
Old 01-30-2007, 07:04 PM

I had a good day too. I've been shopping around to refinance our mortgage and got a good deal. I was out and about this morning and REALLY wanted a Starbucks coffee but I passed on it. I was so proud of myself for not giving in. I went home and made my own coffee.

I really think this thread helps. It sounds so silly but just knowing I have to report back on my spending makes me think twice about spending the $$ in the first place.

Old 01-31-2007, 02:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilian View Post

I really think this thread helps. It sounds so silly but just knowing I have to report back on my spending makes me think twice about spending the $$ in the first place.
I totally hear you. I so wanted to buy a diaper today but in my head, I was like no, you will have to tell the other mamas
Old 01-31-2007, 11:27 AM

oh my gosh! I didn't know this was here! I am so grateful! I started a thread about this the other day....and I am so glad to have you mamas to report to! yesterday was my first non spending day....I wanted so much! apparently that says to me what my problem is...I',m missing something I am lacking and making up for it by spending to fill the void......
I think my issue is not having any time/ space to myself...at all....and I don't see how to change that. I have 6 kids...a small house....i do NOT work....and I don't see any of that changing...LOL...anyone else see their spending correlate with possibly needing /wanting a change...or maybe some other issue?
so glad to see you all here....
yesterday did not buy that cute valentines outfit for dd(although it would have been soooooo cute....sooooo not necessary.)
did not buy anything more for myself...even though I STILL only have one pair of pants that semi fits and three tee shirts.
and not ONE bra that fits right.....I hate nursing bras!!!!
if any of you mamas has an OT idea of where is a good place to get pants that fit that arent super expensive , look nice...and don't look like grandma pants....and bras...nursing bras...that fit! please pm me....
word of warning....OLd navy does not fit mama bodies that have had 6 kids....i have finally resigned myself to that.

User Tag List