Forum Jump: 

Old 05-10-2007, 03:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylee'smom View Post
This is a recipe I got from a friend:

The recipe calls for using Old Wessex 5 Grain Cereal (oats, rye, triticale, barley and golden flax) – which is a hot breakfast cereal. But I have been using a 7-grain blend, and adding some flax meal. Any multi-grain cereal I’m sure would be fine.
Oh, thank you. I'm going to try that with oats and flax seeds. Looks good!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2007, 10:05 PM

I was really good yesterday. The girls wanted waffles, so we made homemade. They turned out great and I was able to put some in the freezer for a few mornings. We also made up a big batch of mash potatoes. Two bags went in the freezer and one in the fridge for tomorrow's dinner.

Here is the cookie recipe:

INGREDIENTS
1/2 cup white sugar
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 egg
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup rolled oats
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
Combine all ingredients and mix well. Mix all let ingredients first and then add dry. Drop by tablespoon on to lightly greased cookie sheet. Bake 10 to 12 minutes.

Thanks for the bread recipe, I'm surely going to try it.

I picked up some wheat germ, dried fruit, and seeds at the store yesterday for our granola. It wasn't on my list, but a must to pick up. I'm still doing really good money wise so far this month. I think we'll be between 400-500 this month. Hopefully less.
Old 05-12-2007, 12:49 AM

:

Jennifer, Homeschooling mama to Julianna 1996,
Noah born at home 2002, Elijah waterborne at home 2004,: and Isabella: waterborne at home 2007
Old 05-12-2007, 10:05 PM

subbing
Old 05-12-2007, 11:44 PM

Does anyone have a recipe for whole wheat pancakes. It seems so silly to buy the mix.
Old 05-13-2007, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackysmama View Post
Does anyone have a recipe for whole wheat pancakes. It seems so silly to buy the mix.
Here is one that I use and love:

INGREDIENTS
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 cup canola oil
2 cups buttermilk
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 cup wheat germ
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
DIRECTIONS
In a medium bowl, mix eggs with oil and buttermilk. Stir in baking soda, wheat germ, salt and flour; mix until blended.
Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium-high heat. Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/4 cup for each pancake. Brown on both sides, turning once.

I also have been making waffles and doubling the recipe to add to the freezer for mornings when we need something quick.
Old 05-13-2007, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackysmama View Post
My favorite whole wheat recipe is:

1 cup whole wheat flour (or whole wheat pastry flour)
1/4 cup wheat germ
1 Tablespoon baking powder
dash of salt
1 cup milk (dairy or non-dairy)
1 Tablespoon oil
2 Tablespoon liquid sweetener (honey, maple syrup, molasses, brown rice syrup)

Combine all dry in a bowl, and all wet in a separate bowl. Add liquids to flour mixture and mix until just moistened, a few lumps are ok (don't over mix or they will turn out tough). You can also at this point add fruit or nuts....my favorite is banana walnut.

My favorite is with using honey and whole wheat pastry flour. They come out very light and fluffy. My receipe is (obviously) vegan, but I'm sure you could throw an egg in if you wanted.

Mama to ds#1 (7) and a ds#2 (1 1/2)
Homebirth midwife
Old 05-13-2007, 02:46 AM

Ok, finally, here are some recipes I have promised.

100% Whole Wheat Bread

(this makes 2 loaves, or you could also roll them into buns, which I really like to do with them)

2 3/4 cup hot water
1/3 cup oil (you could probably also use melted butter if you wanted)
1/4 cup sugar (I use sucanat, but you can use any sort of dry sweetener)
2 Tablespoon molasses (this will give the bread a nice brown color, as well as some extra nutrition, but you could probably sub. maple syrup or honey)
1/2 Tablespoon salt
7-7 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
2 Tablespoon yeast

In a large bowl, mix the water, oil, sugar, molasses, and salt. Add 2 cups of flour to the bowl and stir in. Add the yeast, and mix well. Add 4 cups more of flour, 1/2 cup at a time until dough is really coming together nicely. Turn onto a floured surface, and knead until dough a few minutes, adding small amoutns of flour, as needed. Do not use more than 7.5 cups of flour.

Oil a large bowl, and put dough in it, rolling it around to coat in oil. Cover and let rise in warm spot until doubled in size. Punch down, and divide in 2, and form into loaf shape, place in oiled loaf pan, cover, and let rise until doubled in size. Bake in preheated oven (350-375) until golden.

Ok, so over the years of baking bread, I have learned a few tips that I though it might help to mention.

1. I always turn my oven on, even at a low heat (200 or so??), and place my dough to rise on top of the stove. The heat from the oven makes a HUGE difference in my wait time for the dough to rise. The books always say to place the dough in a draft-free, warm place.....um, unless I crank up my heater, that is not to be found in my place. My answer is the stove-top with the oven on.

2. I have made MANY loaves of whole wheat bread (and I have never used a bread maker, always done it by hand) that are hard and dense and HEAVY. I have really learned that the key to a nice light loaf is using as little flour as possible to form your dough. In this recipe, I honestly aim for 6.5 cups while in the bowl, and then use another 1/2 cup for kneading. My problem was that I really like to knead, and if you have ever kneaded bread, you know that you could just keep kneading and adding more flour, and kneading, and eventually it will get sticky again, so you add more flour, etc, etc. So, now that I really keep an eye on how much flour I knead with, my bread comes out much better.

Homebirth midwife
Old 05-13-2007, 02:48 AM

Subbing!
Old 05-13-2007, 02:55 AM

: :
Old 05-13-2007, 02:57 AM

Burger Buns OR Pita Bread

makes 8 buns or pita breads

2 cup whole wheat flour
2 Tablespoons yeast
1 cup milk (dairy or nondairy)
3/4 cup water
1/3 cup oil
3 Tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoons salt
2-2.5 cups additional whole wheat flour

In a large bowl, combine the 2 cups flour and yeast. In a med. pot, combine milk, water, oil, sugar and salt. Heat until just lukewarm and stir into flour mixture. Beat very well, adding some additional flour until a fairly stiff dough is formed. Knead on a floured surface until smooth and elastic.

FOR BUNS:
Roll out to 1/2 " thick and cut into 3"-4" rounds. Place on a greased baking sheet, cover with damp cloth, and let rise for 1/2 hour. Bake at 400 for 12-15 minutes

FOR PITA:
Divide dough into 8 balls and roll each out to 1/4" thickness, 6" rounds. Bake on a heavy baking sheet (I use my cast iron skillets) at 500 for 5 minutes only, until puffed. Remove from baking sheet and wrap immediatly in a clean dry dish towel to keep soft.

Veggie Burgers (I have only made these once, and my family liked them)

1 medium potato, grated
1 medium onion, grated
1/2 cup walnuts
4 Tablespoons olive oil
1 cup cooked oatmeal (leftovers are fine!)
1 cup fresh bread crumbs
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground sage
2 Tablespoon tamari/soy sauce

Saute potato, onion and nuts in olive oil until soft. Add remaining ingredients and mix thourghly. Form into burger and pan fry until brown on both sides, or bake on a lightly oiled baking sheet at 350 until brown on both sides, turning once.

Homebirth midwife
Old 05-14-2007, 11:25 PM

I just made my first batch of homemade granola bars, yipee. The kids had fun making them and we can't wait to try them after dinner.

Hope you all had a great Mother's Day.

My goal this week is to try to make a loaf of bread again and to make some crackers. Wish me luck.

For my meal plan this week, I listed out meals that I can make instead of listing individual meals assigned to a day. I like the flexability to pick something on the list (what sounds good that day).

I'm still doing great money wise. I did have to pick up milk from Costco on Sunday, but that is it for last week. I think I should be able to keep away from Costco or Winco until Friday if the kids can live without any peanut butter or string cheese until then
Old 05-15-2007, 04:14 PM

I am so glad to see this thread is still going. :

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

Old 05-16-2007, 01:24 AM

Now that I'm making so much of my own food (granola, bread, pizza, etc.), I can't believe how much of my staples (flour, oats, sugar, etc.) I'm going through.

Has anyone make corn dogs for the kids?
Old 05-16-2007, 02:08 PM

** Cross posted in Food & Nutrition **

I am vegetarian, but my husband is not. I grew up vegetarian and we only cooked/served vegetarian food at home. As an adult, I have been learning to cook meat, but have a very limited repertoire of dishes I know how to cook.

I found a wholesale meat place near me. It is pretty cool to go there. It is a warehouse in an industrial section of town. You walk in, tell them your shopping list and they go in the back and get everything for you. You do have to buy in bulk though -- last time I got 42 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breast (at only $1.49/pound!), 20 pounds of bacon, 20 pounds of ground beef, 10 pounds of ground turkey, etc. I only go every 3 to 6 months and stock up.

When I get home, I process and repackage the meat into sizes that are more useful and store them in our freezer. In the case of the turkey, I browned all of it and repackaged it into quart size ziploc bags in 1 pound portions (that is 1 pound after browning, not before). I know two ways to use it -- one is to make chili and the other is to add taco seasoning for tacos. I'd like some more ideas!

What do you do with browned ground turkey?
Old 05-16-2007, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenegirl View Post
** Cross posted in Food & Nutrition **

I am vegetarian, but my husband is not. I grew up vegetarian and we only cooked/served vegetarian food at home. As an adult, I have been learning to cook meat, but have a very limited repertoire of dishes I know how to cook.

I found a wholesale meat place near me. It is pretty cool to go there. It is a warehouse in an industrial section of town. You walk in, tell them your shopping list and they go in the back and get everything for you. You do have to buy in bulk though -- last time I got 42 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breast (at only $1.49/pound!), 20 pounds of bacon, 20 pounds of ground beef, 10 pounds of ground turkey, etc. I only go every 3 to 6 months and stock up.

When I get home, I process and repackage the meat into sizes that are more useful and store them in our freezer. In the case of the turkey, I browned all of it and repackaged it into quart size ziploc bags in 1 pound portions (that is 1 pound after browning, not before). I know two ways to use it -- one is to make chili and the other is to add taco seasoning for tacos. I'd like some more ideas!

I use my ground turkey in lasagna, spagetti sauce, sloppy joes, and on top of homemade pizza.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilys_mom1 View Post
Has anyone make corn dogs for the kids?
No, but Alton Brown had an intriguing corn dog recipe a while back on his show. At least they sure looked yummy when he made them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenegirl
Anything I could do with ground beef. Meatloaves (I do an italian turkey meatloaf and a regular turkey meatloaf), burgers (regular, applesauce turkey burgers, etc.), sloppy joes, meatballs, etc. In addition to chili and tacos and whatever else I may come up with.

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
Old 05-16-2007, 08:28 PM

lentils, brown rice, and bulgar go a long ways. I make a big pot and change the spices around until it is gone. I love to add cheese and taco seasoning, and curry and cumin on other days. And wrap it in a tortilla. Yummy and super cheap.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyslipper View Post
lentils, brown rice, and bulgar go a long ways. I make a big pot and change the spices around until it is gone. I love to add cheese and taco seasoning, and curry and cumin on other days. And wrap it in a tortilla. Yummy and super cheap.
Do you just cook all 3 of them together in one big pot?

Homebirth midwife
Old 05-17-2007, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmonter View Post
Anything I could do with ground beef. Meatloaves (I do an italian turkey meatloaf and a regular turkey meatloaf), burgers (regular, applesauce turkey burgers, etc.), sloppy joes, meatballs, etc. In addition to chili and tacos and whatever else I may come up with.
Me too!
We spend ~$20 on 10lbs of ground beef and I can make it last us for 2-weeks payperiod. We spent $31 on "other" non-meat foodstuffs this payperiod. I'm amazed sometimes at how cheap we eat.

Generally we try to have salad, fresh veggie meals, and tacos w/fresh toppings on the first few days of the week with fresh lettuce and tomatoes, while sloppy joes and canned veggies can be made on the last day of the payperiod because they aren't going bad. Just gotta buy a little of each to last 2 weeks.

I could post 2 weeks menu, I just planned it out tonight! I usually try to stick it on the fridge so DH kindof has an idea of what is going on.

emilys_mom1~ Good luck with the crackers. Mine were too hard/tough, we had to toss them!

ETA: Is there any project going on currently? (Like at the first we were supposed to make an inventory)
Old 05-17-2007, 03:02 PM

lmonter, do you mind posting a detailed account of how you do meatloaf with ground turkey? We tried it, but ours just never cooked all the way through, it was still raw in the middle even after a long time cooking. I just substituted the turkey directly with the beef in a recipe. I guess I missed something.

We use ground turkey here, too, though, for everything. It's $.99/lb in the frozen section (and it's always hard to find, it's like they hide it!).
Old 05-17-2007, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusannahM View Post
lmonter, do you mind posting a detailed account of how you do meatloaf with ground turkey? We tried it, but ours just never cooked all the way through, it was still raw in the middle even after a long time cooking. I just substituted the turkey directly with the beef in a recipe. I guess I missed something.
Italian Turkey Meat Loaf

1 large egg
1/2 (of a 14.5oz) can diced tomatoes with Italian herbs, undrained
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1/3 cup minced fresh parsley
1/2 cup oats
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 package Italian turkey sausages (removed from casings, about 4 sausages)
1/2 pound ground turkey
1/3 cup spaghetti sauce

1) Preheat oven to 375*.
2) In a large bowl, beat the egg and stir in tomatoes, onion, parsley, oats, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. Then mix in by hand the Italian sausage and ground turkey just until blended. Make into a large meat loaf on a baking sheet (I just put foil in a glass baking dish - easier clean up of burnt stuff), patting to remove any air spaces. Bake for one hour. Top with spaghetti sauce and continue baking 15-30 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Serves 6+.

* * I typically double this recipe (so I can use the whole can of tomatoes), and freeze it in meal-sized portions. Thaw, and bake. Thaw some mashed potatoes and yum. I also sometimes use regular Italian sausage that's not already in casings, whatever.

Fast and Friendly Meatballs

2 tbsp olive oil
1 (20oz) package ground turkey
1 egg, beaten
1/3 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
Dash of poultry seasoning
Splash of milk (to help keep it moist)
Optional: Grated Parmesan/Romano, garlic powder, chopped onion, whatever

1) Preheat oven to 350*. Grease a 9x13-inch baking dish with the olive oil and place it in the oven while preheating.
2) In a medium bowl, mix together everything else using your hands. Form the meat into fold ball sized meatballs. Plave about 1-inch apart in the hot baking dish. Press down to flatten the bottom just slightly.
3) Bake for 15 minutes in the preheated oven, then turn them over and continue baking for about 5 more minutes, or until somewhat crispy on the outside. Serve with Pasta and sauce or however you'd like.

* * Also does well as a meatloaf. Freezes well if you freeze before baking - if you freeze *after* baking they get all dry and such.

Actually Delicious Turkey Burgers

1 pound ground turkey (I use 20oz, those are the packages I get)
1 tbsp and 1 tsp seasoned bread crumbs (or 4 tsp)
1 tbsp and 1 tsp finely diced onion (or 4 tsp)
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 tbsp and 1 tsp fresh parsley
1-2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp ground black pepper
Few sprinkles of Worcestershire sauce
Few splashes of soy sauce

1) In a large bowl, mix ground turkey, bread crumbs, onion, egg, parlsey, garlic, salt and pepper. Form into 4 patties.
2) Cook the patties in a medium skillet over medium heat, turning once, to an internal temperature of 180*. I also add cheese because we're cheeseburger fans.

Serves 4 (original recipe was for like 12 patties, hence the odd measurements).

* * Also does well as a meatloaf. Freezes well, too.

With all of these, I hardly really measure. Sometimes I'll add more oats, sometimes more breadcrumbs, sometimes I'll OD a little on the poultry seasoning, etc. Still turns out fine though.

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
Old 05-17-2007, 06:52 PM

Does anyone have a good basic muffin mix that anything (dried fruit, nuts, chocolate chips etc) be added to?

-Pam
Old 05-17-2007, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaPam View Post
Does anyone have a good basic muffin mix that anything (dried fruit, nuts, chocolate chips etc) be added to?

-Pam
I'm still at work, but when I get home, I'll post two. One is from The Tightwad Gazette, and is a formula for making muffins. The other is from What to Eat When You are Expecting and doesn't have any sugar (uses white grape juice concentrate and all-fruit jam instead).
Old 05-17-2007, 10:00 PM

I just made the best brownies. I was in the mood for chocolate and didn't have any brownie box mix at home. I'm sticking to my rule to not buy any more convienent food that I can make from scratch. I went out on allrecipes.com and found a wonderful brownie one.

They came out so good. I'm so glad I found this thread. It has really changed our eating habits and our pocket money. Thanks everyone.

Here is the recipe if you would like to try them. The only change I made was
that I added chocolate chips to the top before cooking.

INGREDIENTS
3/4 cup butter, melted
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 eggs
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease an 8 inch square pan.

In a large bowl, blend melted butter, sugar and vanilla. Beat in eggs one at a time. Combine the flour, cocoa, and salt. Gradually blend into the egg mixture. Spread the batter into the prepared pan.
Bake in preheated oven for 40 to 45 minutes, or until brownies begin to pull away from the sides of the pan. Let brownies cool, then cut into squares. Enjoy!

I also will be heading grocery shopping tomorrow. I made it to Friday , I wasn't sure I could do it. I need to finalize my meals for the next two weeks before tomorrow's shopping. I will also need to pick up some staples that I've been going through with all this homemade stuff like flour, sugar, brown sugar, etc. I'm hoping to stay under $200, which I think I can. I'll be heading to Costco and then the grocery store.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:48 AM

This site is full of ways to make mixes. Like a generic Bisquick or Rice a Roni, etc. If you are cooking all from scratch it could really be a time saver. I just found it, so I haven't tried it out yet, but I'm planning to make the first one this weekend.

http://www.umext.maine.edu/onlinepubs/htmpubs/4029.htm
Old 05-21-2007, 07:01 PM

Hope you are all having a great week so far. How are your meal plans for this week? I have posted mine for the next two weeks on the fridge. There is on money in the bank to go to the grocery store, so I have to stick to it tightly. This is really my first time saying that there is no money for food for the next two weeks . Next pay day should be alot better.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:05 PM

I have my meal plan posted too. We do a more flexible meal plan particularly for dinners because of DH. I list all the meals I have grocieries for and as we make them I cross them off rather then planning a particular meal on a particular day. This way we don't end up eating out or buying extra because DH doesn't want whats planned for a particular day.

-Pam
Old 05-21-2007, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaPam View Post
I have my meal plan posted too. We do a more flexible meal plan particularly for dinners because of DH. I list all the meals I have grocieries for and as we make them I cross them off rather then planning a particular meal on a particular day. This way we don't end up eating out or buying extra because DH doesn't want whats planned for a particular day.

-Pam
That's a good idea. We fall into that trap too. If I have something planned but I end up with not enough time to prepare it, we end up getting take out. What do you do about produce and stuff that needs to be used sooner rather than later?
Old 05-21-2007, 08:11 PM

Since so many of you have lots of meals planned for the next week or two, can you give me some ideas? I need quick and easy and vegetarian (but I can turn most "regular" meals into vegetarian so try me). Oh, and we hate beans. Watcha got for me?

User Tag List