Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Subscribing!
#632 of 642 Old 10-17-2007, 01:30 AM

Can the person (whose name I forget) who posts the tasks post them all in one spot, please? Maybe edit the first entry with all the tasks? I can't seem to find the time to go through and read all 32 pages to find the tasks.
#633 of 642 Old 10-17-2007, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

The assignments are all posted (together) in post #595.

Visit www.evolutiontosimplicity.blogspot.com to follow my epic saga of single mummahood....

#634 of 642 Old 10-17-2007, 12:36 PM

I have a rice cooker and it makes all the difference. On the stove top I always boil over and make a mess.

Brown rice doesn't store as well as white rice. The oils in the germ and bran (what make the rice brown, the healthy parts) can go rancid. My local co-op sells brown Basmati rice. So does the local Indian grocery store.

Amy at Stone Fence Farm
:
#635 of 642 Old 10-18-2007, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wife&mommy View Post
Have you tried Jasmine Brown Rice? It's very good.
I love me some rice, really all are interchangable for us, but we got some Brown Jasmine (I think, it could have been brown basmati) from Costco......it truly tasted like it came from the earth (dirt).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinas3muskateers View Post
caught this late but I printed out the PDF... i am going to read all the post to see what I do now lol.
How do you get it in PDF? I'm curious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathirynne View Post
The assignments are all posted (together) in post #595.
Thank you Kathirynne for taking the time. I don't know if anything can help me, but I'm working on it. I love all the great ideas.
#636 of 642 Old 10-18-2007, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbithorns View Post
I'm not debating diet - they are so varied and marvelous. I'm remarking that furgality is not the only factor in meal planning and nothing seems to have been mentioned regarding the quality of menus planned.

If frugality were the only issue to be discussed on this thread, someone would have said they could feed their family on $2 a day living on mostly dahl and rice, but personal preference and love of good food is also a factor which is why the menus are varied and delightful.

Menu planning and informed choice regarding individual nutrition go hand in hand. It's not a debate; it's opening up the discussion of how to tweak the many lovely menus devised for better nutrition to fit the needs of any family or individual.

People don't know what they don't know.
i get what you're saying and i agree. FOR ME AND MINE. however i will not stick my nose into other people's cupboards and look down on them. to each their own.

ETA- healthy food is relative. what some people think is healthy others do not. we're vegetarian for health reasons. i know plenty of mamas here don't think that's healthy.

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#637 of 642 Old 10-19-2007, 12:31 PM

subbing!
#638 of 642 Old 10-19-2007, 04:15 PM

Okay ... I'm struggling. I made up my inventory about 2-1/2 weeks ago and love the idea of having them, but I'm having a HECK of a time keeping them updated. How much time do y'all spend doing this per day? Do you update them once/day, or as you remove things?

hippie.gif+reading.gif= Peanut (2004), Pumpkin (2007) and Butter Bean!! (2011)

#639 of 642 Old 10-20-2007, 07:38 AM

Well I haven't done my inventory in awhile, let it get away from me.

I was changing the amts as I used stuff. Every meal. There is probably a better way.

I was wondering also, how do you all store dried beans/peas etc. With winter coming I'd like to have some extra on hand. TIA
#640 of 642 Old 10-20-2007, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna06 View Post
I was wondering also, how do you all store dried beans/peas etc. With winter coming I'd like to have some extra on hand. TIA
I do a lot of home canning. So the jars I deem unacceptable for the water bath or pressure canner (i.e. a small crack here or there, chipped threading, etc.) get demoted to regular pantry use with rice, beans, random bits of flour, sometimes sugar, anything dry down there.

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
#641 of 642 Old 10-20-2007, 04:00 PM

I just did my kitchen inventory! Wow, that will be so helpful when I'm hungry and don't feel like picking through the fridge and pantry. I can just look at my list and say "Ok, it's Cuban Black Beans, Brown Rice and Spicy Sausage for dinner with a side of brussel sprouts."

And I'm cleaning out my fridge so that my trader joes lamb chops don't get hidden in the fridge by the broccoli and then go bad. :
#642 of 642 Old 10-22-2007, 10:58 AM

subbing!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page