Frugal Meal Planning 101 - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 642 Old 02-01-2007, 01:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathirynne View Post
I am coming down with the mother of all colds, : so I am posting this weekend's assignment today.

Look through your grocery supply and choose 3 different convenience foods.(This can be anything from boxed pasta side dishes to store-bought cookies to cold breakfast cereal.) Can you make a similar version of these items? Can you use something else instead of any of these items? (Buttered noodles with herbs, homebaked cookies, oatmeal porridge are all cheaper than their store bought counterparts.)

Post your convenience food and your replacement.
Oh.....I love you

My "Teach Me" thread has a sister thread! I am learning sooooo much from you : Thank you!!!

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#122 of 642 Old 02-01-2007, 02:15 PM

Quote:
I would just count it, since you'll be using it for at least the first week of February. It's really just a tool to help you keep track of what you've spent for February, so that you can compare it to what you've spent for previous months.
Thanks for replying...I don't think I'll count it (talked to DH and he likened it to accrual and cash basis accounting) as we're sure to do other shops towards the end of months and obviously some of that food will be eaten in the following month...and anyway, if I count it, we'll never be able to compare it to January's grocery shopping...
#123 of 642 Old 02-01-2007, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBee View Post
My "Teach Me" thread has a sister thread! I am learning sooooo much from you : Thank you!!!

Huh?
#124 of 642 Old 02-01-2007, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogreencars View Post
Huh?
I started a thread seeking advice on running a home.
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=246768

This thread (frugal meal planning) is teaching me ALOT of what I need to know.......as well as my "teach me" thread. Hope that makes sense

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#125 of 642 Old 02-01-2007, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBee View Post
I started a thread seeking advice on running a home.
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=246768

This thread (frugal meal planning) is teaching me ALOT of what I need to know.......as well as my "teach me" thread. Hope that makes sense
Looks like I can use that thread, fellow Nov 06 mama!
#126 of 642 Old 02-01-2007, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogreencars View Post
Looks like I can use that thread, fellow Nov 06 mama!

#127 of 642 Old 02-01-2007, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
:

Visit www.evolutiontosimplicity.blogspot.com to follow my epic saga of single mummahood....

#128 of 642 Old 02-01-2007, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sincitymama View Post
Did my shopping today, will start the menu plan tomorrow....
How did you make your shopping list before you planned your menues? (IOW, how did you know what you needed to buy at the grocery without planning out what you were serving?)
#129 of 642 Old 02-01-2007, 05:35 PM

Quote:
:
: that you are healthy soon.

#130 of 642 Old 02-01-2007, 05:35 PM

Quote:
:
Feel better! Thanks for our lessons! We'll miss you!
#131 of 642 Old 02-01-2007, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishRose View Post
How did you make your shopping list before you planned your menues? (IOW, how did you know what you needed to buy at the grocery without planning out what you were serving?)

I made my menu already, what I mean is now that I've done the shopping I'll start Using the plan and cooking those meals Sorry for the confusion!
#132 of 642 Old 02-01-2007, 07:11 PM

Quote:
I am coming down with the mother of all colds, : so I am posting this weekend's assignment today.

Look through your grocery supply and choose 3 different convenience foods. (These can be anything from boxed pasta side dishes to store-bought cookies to cold breakfast cereal.) Can you make a similar version of these items? Can you use something else instead of any of these items? (Buttered noodles with herbs, homebaked cookies, oatmeal porridge are all cheaper than their store bought counterparts.)

Hope you are feeling better soon

We didnt have any convience foods in this weeks shop. Fruit, vinegar, veggies & greens. Oh and some milk too. My eldest two are no longer nursing...and I just am not prepared to pump 4liters for them
#133 of 642 Old 02-01-2007, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strathconamama View Post
Hope you are feeling better soon

We didnt have any convience foods in this weeks shop. Fruit, vinegar, veggies & greens. Oh and some milk too...
I'm taking some soup and bread over to her house this evening. (We've gotta get our guru well! )

We didn't have any convenience foods in this week's shop, either. (Gotta love sticking to the list! ) I just pulled three things out of my pantry (rice pilaf mix, cold cereal, and Costco muffins) and used those to do the assignment.
#134 of 642 Old 02-01-2007, 08:00 PM
bec

Quote:

Look through your grocery supply and choose 3 different convenience foods. (These can be anything from boxed pasta side dishes to store-bought cookies to cold breakfast cereal.) Can you make a similar version of these items? Can you use something else instead of any of these items? (Buttered noodles with herbs, homebaked cookies, oatmeal porridge are all cheaper than their store bought counterparts.)

I hope you feel better!

I spent $59 on groceries today.: But, I was TOTALLY out of laundry detergent (that was $24.18 of the bill, so the food part was $34.82, and the laundry stuff should last over 2 months). Strictly speaking, I could have saved another $6.15, but I am feeling a little under the weather too, and am craving greens. But, I didn't buy a premixed salad, so that saved some money there!

I'm excited to see these assignments! I am starting to do exactly this! It feels good, like I'm on the right track! I am making my own bread (saving about $10 a week on that alone!), making my own salad dressing, my own cookies, etc.

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#135 of 642 Old 02-01-2007, 09:24 PM

This will be challenging as we don't do convenience foods . I'm sure we have some cereal or something though, I'll have to investigate!

Hope you feel better!
#136 of 642 Old 02-01-2007, 09:59 PM

Thanks for the instructions for the salmon patties, I'll put those on next weeks menu and see how they turn out.

Another question:
Clementines! Delicious stuff, clementines. But ds and I are the only people who eat them in this house, and I don't know anyone else who wants any or I'd share. Why oh why do they only come in those boxes? It's too many for us. No matter how much we love them there are only so many clementines we can eat every day!
So any brilliant ideas on something to do with them, so we don't end up wasting them? Do they freeze well at all, if I peeled and seperated them? We're not really fans of fruity glazes here so I won't be using them on any meats or anything like that. I want to save them before they go bad.
#137 of 642 Old 02-02-2007, 08:24 AM

Do you think you could squeeze Clementines? I love them also, but have never tried squeezing them.

We have a tangerine tree in our backyard. We were overwhelmed with tangerines this year. At the end of the season, we squeezed all the tangerines left on the tree and got about 1.5 gallons of juice! With only DH and I, there was no way we were going to drink it all. But DH had the brilliant idea of making popsicles. We had only one popsicle mold, 8 at a shot, it was taking too long to freeze them. I think I have about 24 frozen in the actual mold. So we froze it in ice cube trays with toothpicks for sticks. I believe I have close to 70 of the ice cube ones. We also bought those plastic cups for bathroom dispensers -- they hold about 2 oz -- and froze more juice in those with a wooden popsicle stick. We got nearly 50 of those. And we still had 2 quarts of juice to drink for the week!!

The tangerine popsicles are absolutely delicious! Everyone I offer one to expects them to be kind of ordinary, like a store bought popsicle. But they are so much better than that.
#138 of 642 Old 02-02-2007, 01:51 PM

Whenever we did our grocery shopping DH went too and we got stuff not on the list and forgot a couple key things on the list. : However, we did not make another trip to get the items I forgot. I've just altered the menu and have been actually using up a little more stuff from the pantry then I would have orginally.

-Pam
#139 of 642 Old 02-02-2007, 04:43 PM

Breakfasts: pancakes, oatmeal, grits, eggs, yogurt, toast

L: Mac-n-cheese w/ chopped veggies
D: Chili and cornbread

L: LO mac-n-cheese
D: LO chili

L: Rice and stirfried veggies
D: Gorditas, corn

L: LO gorditas
D: Tilapia and steamed veggies

L: tuna sandwiches
D: baked chicken quarters

L: chicken wraps
D: Lentil soup

L: LO soup
D: Speghetti, corn

We went shopping last night. Didn't go so well. Spend around $45. Didn't adhere to the list at all. I guess after going through our pantry, we realized that we didn't have a whole lot, so we did some restocking. But the next couple weeks should be considerably lower.

As far as convience foods, I didn't buy any granola bars last night, and will be attempting to make them this afternoon. I also passed by the bread and will be attempting to make some this weekend. And I convinced DH to skip the Swiss Miss hot cocoa packets, and made a big jar of ready-to-use mix using cocoa, sugar and powdered sugar.

THANKS and FEEL BETTER!
#140 of 642 Old 02-02-2007, 09:41 PM

Hope your feeling better Kathinynne

For my 3 convience foods I'm making cookies for lunches next week. I've got beans soaking (save the canned ones for ER) and I was thinking about muffins to replace granola bars. Unless VaMountainMama has a quick and easy recipe you want to share??: And may I add VaMountainMama making your own hot cocoa is very smart. (Do you not use powdered milk?) If not I'd love to hear about that one also. TIA
#141 of 642 Old 02-02-2007, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna06 View Post
Unless VaMountainMama has a quick and easy recipe you want to share??:
I'd like to know too
#142 of 642 Old 02-02-2007, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strathconamama View Post
I'd like to know too
Me too! :

#143 of 642 Old 02-02-2007, 11:19 PM

Subbing

I'm starting late, but I want to join in.... We're trying to eat whole foods and mostly organic, and it's not too cheap : I'm a little lost, so hopefully this thread will help!

Happy wife and blessed mama to three sweet girlies chicken3.gif

#144 of 642 Old 02-02-2007, 11:42 PM

3 things I could make

-BBQ sauce (?)
-Grate my own Parmesan cheese (though I swore before it was worth the money to buy the grated!)
-Bottled spaghetti sauce - I usually just add fresh veggies to the jarred kind but I could do it all from scratch I guess if it was cheaper?

Mama to (DS 7) and (DD 5), wife to DH

#145 of 642 Old 02-02-2007, 11:44 PM

Well I posted this but now I don't see it.

I spent $89 for the 3 of us. That is a ton compared to what most of you are spending but its less than what we normally spend.
However, I didn't have much in the pantry or freezer.

Mama to (DS 7) and (DD 5), wife to DH

#146 of 642 Old 02-03-2007, 04:08 AM

Ok, for assignment #3, I'll make-
homemade crackers
homemade hummus
homemade chili

Can't wait to make the crackers, they're mostly for ds, but we buy them all the time.
I've made hummus before, but lately I've been buying it.
I've always wanted to make chili and never have. I LOVE Amy's brand spicy chili, so I'm going to attempt to make something similar!

This week I made our bread and tonight I made vegan 'Jungle Bars" kind of like banana bread with oats, choc. chips, coconut, and almond. Turned out so good, but I used up the rest of my maple syrup in them, which is pricey, oh well. Still cheaper then buying a similar item at the market!

My husband spent about $25 on groceries today, he stuck to the list
2 lg. containers of rice milk (has anyone ever made rice milk???)
2 packs of fresh mushrooms
2 bags of choc. chips (for homemade treats)
2lbs rice
half & half (for his coffee at home)
earth balance margarine
water

We only need a couple other things to get us through next week, mainly celery (which I love), and grapes (which ds loves)

Happily married, Waldorf-inspired homeschooler to Kylan (8yo), Everest (6yo), and Bodhi (2yo)
#147 of 642 Old 02-03-2007, 04:18 AM

wife&mommy: don't feel bad! We just spent $94 on the 3 of us (well more than that but that's what we spent on food) but included in that was several organic chicken breasts that will go into the freezer (on sale!) dark chocolate bars (also on sale...we're trying to have that be the only "sweets" in the house) and fresh veggies for juicing...

*green*faery*: please share your cracker recipie...DS is addicted to all things crunchy and I'd love to make my own. tomorrow I'm planning on making my own veggie chips (carrot and sweet potato) for the first time...wish me luck as I am COMPLETELY new at this whole cooking from scratch thing!

Me my DH 4.5 year old DS and who just arrived on the scene 6/10 Excited to be blogging! Decluttering in 2010: 2010 / 2010
#148 of 642 Old 02-03-2007, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamsMuffin View Post
Subbing

I'm starting late, but I want to join in

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeciMami View Post
wife&mommy: tomorrow I'm planning on making my own veggie chips (carrot and sweet potato) for the first time...wish me luck as I am COMPLETELY new at this whole cooking from scratch thing!
How do you make veggie chips?!?! Share, Share please:
#149 of 642 Old 02-03-2007, 10:36 AM

*green*faery -- I have some recipes for nut milks. I'll check the cookbook and see if there is also a rice milk recipe in there.
#150 of 642 Old 02-03-2007, 10:58 AM

3 convenience foods I have in my pantry:

SpaghettiOs
Stove Top
Apple Jacks

Substitutions:
A concoction my kiddies call "Mommy macaroni"
Stuffing from scratch
Oatmeal? I can't very well make Apple Jacks, but think oatmeal would be a great substitution...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page