Frugal Meal Planning 101 - Page 7 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#181 of 642 Old 02-05-2007, 03:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
convenience foods:
frozen waffles and french toast sticks. make double batches of pancakes and french toast and freeze.

microwave popcorn, buy more oldfashioned kind and use the airpopper. add real butter and own toppings. I like parmesan cheese.

bought a big carton of vanilla yogurt. he likes it just fine and there is much less waste.

bought pudding in box, rather than little cups.

need solutions for::
potatoe chips, buy less until solution presents itself....

chewy granola bar recipie. something with chocolate chips and added fiber.

thanks guys for all the ideas!
Bryanna
#182 of 642 Old 02-05-2007, 03:35 PM
bec

You could make your own chips. You can even bake them in the oven if you want a healthier option.

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#183 of 642 Old 02-05-2007, 04:27 PM

I make our own rice milk all the time as my 2 little ones devour it!! It was just way too expensive to keep buying so here is what I do:

I cook up short grain organic brown rice (usally enough for a week). Take 1 cup cooked brown rice and 4 cups distilled water. I blend in the vitamix for a few minutes. Strain into a pitcher (saving the pulp to eat as a breakfast cereal with nuts and fruit added YUM!). Put the RM back into Vitamix and add more water so the total amount in the vitamix is 32 oz. Blend and strain again if necessary. You can add honey or maple syrup or brown rice syrup to sweeten and a touch of sea salt too. Since my DS is so used to the taste of the Rice Dream I mix the homemade RM 1/2 n 1/2 with the Rice Dream.

(side note: the rice must be hot before blending or else it won't turn out right. If I am short on time, I put the cooked rice in the fridge. When I need to make some RM I measure out 1 cup into a Pyrex measuring cup adding one C water and nuke for a minute or two then blend as usual)

I got the recipe off MDC but can't figure out how to link to it
#184 of 642 Old 02-05-2007, 04:36 PM

I just want to add that Hillbilly Housewife is a super website for recipes. She has tons of recipes for how to make your own convenience foods: salad dressing, chocolate syrup, etc. I love her website (she has a "healthy" one, too) and use lots of her recipes.

Catholic Homeschooling mama to DS (6), DD (4), twin DDs (2), DD (7 months), and someone new 7/31/10!
#185 of 642 Old 02-05-2007, 04:40 PM

Anybody have an awesome recipe for Shrimp Scampi? We've been buying the box of scampi from Costco, but I haven't been able to find a recipe that even comes close.

I did finally find a way to use the rolled oats I've had in the pantry for forever - granola bars! So we'll be having fun experimenting... although will it make a huge difference if I use sweetened coconut vs. unsweetened coconut? (I've got sweetened in the pantry so I wouldn't have to buy any right away.)

How about instant oatmeal? My 3yo has totally gotten hooked on oatmeal (and really, I'm not going to discourage him), and loves the apple-cinnamon. I found a promising recipe on allrecipes.com, but how/where do I make/find dried, diced apples?

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
#186 of 642 Old 02-05-2007, 04:40 PM

Also www.diningonadime.com Great cookbook and website!

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#187 of 642 Old 02-05-2007, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogreencars View Post
OK - I'm a bit anal - is the $200 or so we're all aiming to spend on groceries...include just food - or should we include things like shampoo, laundry detergent, etc.? What is everyone's take on this?
I didnt include "household stuff" in our totals

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaPia View Post
I know I'm a bit late, but can I please join in too? .

Thx for the links mama's...Im off to go read while dd is finally sleeping
#188 of 642 Old 02-05-2007, 06:36 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmonter View Post
Anybody have an awesome recipe for Shrimp Scampi? We've been buying the box of scampi from Costco, but I haven't been able to find a recipe that even comes close.

I did finally find a way to use the rolled oats I've had in the pantry for forever - granola bars! So we'll be having fun experimenting... although will it make a huge difference if I use sweetened coconut vs. unsweetened coconut? (I've got sweetened in the pantry so I wouldn't have to buy any right away.)

How about instant oatmeal? My 3yo has totally gotten hooked on oatmeal (and really, I'm not going to discourage him), and loves the apple-cinnamon. I found a promising recipe on allrecipes.com, but how/where do I make/find dried, diced apples?
I LOVE oatmeal with grated fresh apples in it. I make it with finely grated apple, cinnamon, a dash of brown sugar, and walnuts. DD LOVES it with the fresh apple.
#189 of 642 Old 02-05-2007, 07:29 PM

I can't believe how much meat that I found in my 2 freezers!!! I will not need to buy any for at least 2 weeks or more.

Those inventory sheets are great!

convenience foods:
Waffels I can make and freeze

Bars or granola bars I can make these too.

I am working on making my own sourdough bread... I just need to figure on how to make it lighter (less brick like) It tastes fine though.
#190 of 642 Old 02-05-2007, 08:15 PM
bec

Quote:
Originally Posted by strathconamama View Post
I didnt include "household stuff" in our totals
Oooh, really? Can we have an official ruling on that? My total would go down about $24 from last week if that is the case, because I needed to buy laundry detergent.

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#191 of 642 Old 02-05-2007, 08:23 PM

I agree that it's 'frugal *meal planning*' not 'frugal home management'. I counted food only for my total. So that's my vote.
#192 of 642 Old 02-05-2007, 09:28 PM
Joi

Ok I am super late to this but I am subbing now and off to do some catch up.
#193 of 642 Old 02-05-2007, 09:29 PM

I just saw this thread and am subscribing. I will be back after I have a chance to read through the thread! great idea btw! I am always looking for ways to save $ on food!

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#194 of 642 Old 02-05-2007, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bec View Post
Oooh, really? Can we have an official ruling on that? My total would go down about $24 from last week if that is the case, because I needed to buy laundry detergent.
We keep grocery/food to all edible/drinkable things.

Household expenses is where we put laundry detergent, canning jars (if I'm running out), toilet paper, batteries, etc.
It's what works for us. Plus with all the peeing I was doing while pregnant and when my family (two extra women at times!) came and visited, well, yeah. We wouldn't have been super happy if TP was included in the grocery budget.

#195 of 642 Old 02-05-2007, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a-sorta-fairytale View Post
I LOVE oatmeal with grated fresh apples in it. I make it with finely grated apple, cinnamon, a dash of brown sugar, and walnuts. DD LOVES it with the fresh apple.
I don't doubt that it's fabulous with freshly grated apple.
But.
At 8am, my 3yo would be lucky if he actually ended up with grated apple instead of grated onion. I'm not a morning person (never have been, never will be), hence the instant oatmeal all spiced and mixed up ready to add milk to.

#196 of 642 Old 02-05-2007, 10:10 PM

Quote:
But.
At 8am, my 3yo would be lucky if he actually ended up with grated apple instead of grated onion. I'm not a morning person (never have been, never will be), hence the instant oatmeal all spiced and mixed up ready to add milk to.

aha! Well i know sunflower market and wildoats carry dried fruit pieces (tiny apples, whole strawberries, etc) but they are $$ My dad has a dehydrator and dries his own...
#197 of 642 Old 02-05-2007, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a-sorta-fairytale View Post
aha! Well i know sunflower market and wildoats carry dried fruit pieces (tiny apples, whole strawberries, etc) but they are $$ My dad has a dehydrator and dries his own...
Yeah, I'll admit to my laziness. I did some looking around online, and a tin of dried apple flakes isn't *too* expensive (certainly less expensive than the cute little instant oatmeal packets). My organic hookup here in town is Fred Meyer. A few other local stores, but nobody that would have much in the way of dried fruit...

#198 of 642 Old 02-06-2007, 12:36 AM
Joi

Okay, I went through my fridge, freezer, and pantry and I need like 5 things from the store for the week. I didn't realize what all I had in there.
#199 of 642 Old 02-06-2007, 02:14 AM

BTW i am lurking here I am not ready to fully jump in yet but loving the ideas
#200 of 642 Old 02-06-2007, 02:38 AM

Well, I tried making the English muffin recipie from a few pages ago and the flavor was fine. not quite as 'bubbly' as storebought and a little 'healthy' tasting. I used 100% White Whole Wheat flour. maybe try with 1/2 white and I was lazy and didn't sift.

I grilled 3 batches of 8 muffins on the large electric griddle. turned the temp down to 250 degrees so they would cook through. instead of sprinkling with cornmeal I used flax meal.

Good enough that the ravening picky teenager had thirds. Toasted with margerine and honey.

Love and Light,
Bryanna
#201 of 642 Old 02-06-2007, 02:47 AM

Quote:
But.
This is why I make my oatmeal the day/night before. It heats up nicely and we don't run out. It makes the mornings smoother. We put frozen fruit in ours - blueberries and berries from Trader Joe's, yellow raisins, brown sugar, cinnamon, banana. The kids love it and have it for snacks and dessert, too. We also love Sunflower Farmer's Market and Wild Oats (tho' very expensive!).
#202 of 642 Old 02-06-2007, 03:24 AM

Ok, Im a bad, bad frugal meal planner!!! I just ordered chinese food and it should be here in about 20-25 minutes:

I have been craving the expensive, garbagy (yes, I made up a word) stuff all night. I was a putting up a good : but with an angel on one shoulder and the devil on the other...you know who won

Please, please let there be a new assignment soon so I can get back on track:
#203 of 642 Old 02-06-2007, 04:22 AM
nym

Okay, Im late but joining too.. I havent bought anything but milk this month yet anyways

Ill inventory and meal plan tomorrow
#204 of 642 Old 02-06-2007, 11:20 AM

Oh, I forgot about my dh's addiction to Good Seasons dressing--anyone with a recipe? Anyone?
#205 of 642 Old 02-06-2007, 12:15 PM

I saw someone mention microwave popcorn. I buy the popping corn in bulk and microwave it in a brown paper bag. You can reuse the paper bag a few times before it's to oily to reuse. Just make it like you would regular microwavable popcorn and listen for when to stop.

Edited to add: You do not need to put any oil or butter with the kernels when placing them in the bag. When I referred to the bag getting oily, it's from the corn's natural oil only.

Sorry if this is slightly off topic.
#206 of 642 Old 02-06-2007, 12:44 PM

I actually think it is pretty easy to make popcorn on the stovetop. It is just as quick as the microwave. I use my 8 quart pot. I happen to have a glass lid for it, which is kind of fun, but not necessary. You can use a metal lid if that is what you have. Melt a couple of tablespoons of butter or margarine in the pot over medium high heat. Add 1 cup of popcorn kernels. Cover immediately. I shake the pot a little bit in order to distribute the popcorn kernels. Sometimes, I lift the pot off the burner in order to do this. I do not shake it continuously while popping, just every once in a while and more toward the end. Just like when microwaving popcorn, you stop when the speed of popping has slowed substantially. Pour it out into a bowl and mix it to distribute the melted butter/margarine. If you like your popcorn really buttery, you could melt more butter and pour it over the popcorn. Sprinkle with salt or seasonings and serve.
#207 of 642 Old 02-06-2007, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogreencars View Post
OK - I'm a bit anal - is the $200 or so we're all aiming to spend on groceries...include just food - or should we include things like shampoo, laundry detergent, etc.? What is everyone's take on this?
I always include hygeine items and cleaning products in my total. (But then, I make my cleaning products from bar soap, washing soda, baking soda, salt, vinegar and tea tree oil, so the monthly expense for those things is rather minimal.)

I just think it gives you a truer picture of where you can cut expenses, if you include all of the purchases you make at the grocery store.

Visit www.evolutiontosimplicity.blogspot.com to follow my epic saga of single mummahood....

#208 of 642 Old 02-06-2007, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by strathconamama View Post
Please, please let there be a new assignment soon so I can get back on track:
There will be another assignment tomorrow. (with extra credit )

Visit www.evolutiontosimplicity.blogspot.com to follow my epic saga of single mummahood....

#209 of 642 Old 02-06-2007, 01:45 PM

I think the microplane grater is the niftiest grater for parm (and citris zest, and fresh ginger too). They are also about $15 and wash up great in the dishwasher. After my stand mixer and favorite knives it the one tools I would never want to give up.
#210 of 642 Old 02-06-2007, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson'smama View Post

i am IN LOVE with tombstone extra cheese frozen pizza (which we have probably twice per month on "at home" date night). i add a can of mushrooms, minced onion (from the garden), and oregano. total cost is about $3.5 per pizza. i've considered it cheap compared to takeout pizza, so therefore i've justified it. how much could i realistically save by making the whole thing from scratch? is it worth it?
You might not save much money, but I think homemade is much better (and trans fat free). Nearly all frozen pizza dough is fried. If you already make bread you can easily make a double batch of pizza dough and save one for later. I also make a huge batch of sauce and free it in pizza sized portions. I also spend about $3.50 per pizza, but I have about 1/2 lbs of organic cheese on mine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page