Window Treatments - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-27-2007, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm looking for some frugal window treatment ideas. The only window treatments in our house are the ones left by the previous owner and the roller shades I put up. I'd love to do / see what others have done frugally.

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2007, 02:23 AM

A few years ago, I made a roman shade for my bedroom window. I recently redecorated and am making a new one. Last time it cost me about $45, with the fabric, etc. This time, it should cost me about $12. Rather than buy fabric at the fabric store, I bought an extra duvet cover- on sale for $9.99 at Ikea this week- to make the shade.

Roman shade directions:
http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/dc_windows_...939431,00.html

I made full size, pull back, curtains for my living room. I bought a bolt of fabric off the clearance rack. It was upholstery fabric, I think, on clearance for $1/ yard. So my living room curtains cost me $10.

I've also made valances for several windows- kids' bedrooms, playroom, kitchen.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:59 PM

I've seen in some kitchens where they hung pretty napkins from a curtain rod. No sewing required. I did that in my last house. I took three napkins (two in the same color and one contrast color. I hung them on the angle. (points down) The two like colors went across first and the contrast color overlapped them. In a kids room, cute hankerchiefs strung on a wire held with wooden clothespins (that would depend on the decor in the room). It looks really cute in a cowboy inspired room.
Old 01-28-2007, 11:56 PM

Do you have a sewing machine? I'm in the (very slow) process of making curtains for every room of our house. So far only my dd's room is done, but I'm halfway through the dining room curtains. You can find cheap fabric at Wal-Mart or if you don't shop there, haunt the clearance rack at Jo-Ann's or wait until fabric goes on sale there. You can find really pretty good stuff for cheap. I've also seen stuff come up on Freecycle from time to time, although that's more rare. I got a book from the library called "Curtains for Beginners" that takes you through the step by step process of creating a variety of different window treatments, and it's extremely easy to follow.

Good luck!
Old 01-29-2007, 02:24 AM

As I mentioned in another thread, I am using linens that were decluttered. Sheets, duvet covers, and some napkins too. You can really do whatever you want with the sheets/duvet covers, since they are such a large stretch of fabric: roman shades, tab top curtains, pocket curtains, etc. With the napkins, I am making a valance. Good luck!!!
Old 01-29-2007, 12:51 PM

No sewing machine here, heck, last night I "hemmed" our curtains with iron on tape... so we bought faux wood 2" blinds for the house from Home Depot... 2 br, living, dining, kitchen was about $320. They look great, and we have full length curtains on the sliding glass door.

Custom cut to fit each window, and having the entire place match (and be simple) makes it really easy to decorate the rooms instead, which I find to be less stressful than finding curtain fabric!

Lisa, mama to Lauren, Elliot, angel Marion, and baby due in the fall.

User Tag List