The OFFICIAL February NO-SPEND & PANTRY Challenges!!! Anyone can join, come on in! - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 120 Old 02-07-2007, 10:50 PM
Red

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Fish cakes:

Mix raw white fish, mashed potatoes, salt, pepper, and a bit of lemon juice. (amounts vary!) Coat with egg wash, roll in crumbs, fry in a bit of hot oil.

Serve with lemon juice or wedges, and tartar sauce. (tartar sauce: Mayo, relish, lemon juice.)
#92 of 120 Old 02-08-2007, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
Fish cakes:

Mix raw white fish, mashed potatoes, salt, pepper, and a bit of lemon juice. (amounts vary!) Coat with egg wash, roll in crumbs, fry in a bit of hot oil.

Serve with lemon juice or wedges, and tartar sauce. (tartar sauce: Mayo, relish, lemon juice.)

Thanks for that idea- I'll try it next time I am making them. This time I just sorta 'cubed' the raw fishfilets, mixed them with ww bread crumbs, eggs, minced parsley, salt and pepper, formed them into patties and pan-fried them. I served them w/some kind of a 'left-over sauce' to use up things in my fridge - creme fraiche, mayo, lemon juice, frozen chives, salt and pepper - which tasted really delicous.

Other than that I just bought some more essentials at the store - bananas, milk, a chicken for roasting that was on sale ($3 for a chicken that will serve as a lunch today when my godmother is visting and there will be leftovers for a chicken salad tomorrow as well, that's great!) and I am going to get some yogurt today.

Yesterday I was at one of my fave thrift stores and three brand name jeans as well as a cotton-knit pullover for just $15. That might seem a lot considering the thrift-store prices you have in the US but it's really little for a german thirft store! The jeans were dearly needed as DD is going through so many trousers per week since she started kindergarten.
Today I am going to spend some money on a high-quality snow suit that will fit DD not only this winter but the following as well and maybe even the one following in two years as well PLUS DS will be able to wear it for two or even three winters as well. This suit is going to cost me a whopping $60 (marked down from over $100!) but it's worth every cent!
Another expense that we are facing are new cloths dipes for DS. I was lucky do find 18 ME Sandys+2 wool covers for just $13 at the thrift store when he was just 3 weeks old and have been using them plus some more covers that I got cheaply off ebay for the last few months (he's 4.5months now). I am able to get used dipes from a woman who used to run a cloth diaper service and will buy Mother Ease (One Size, Sandys and Doublers) again as I really love them but I am going to get new covers as I want some Stacinators and wool covers which she does not have. This will set us back with $100-150 but should last till he is potty trained (which is hopefully earlier that DD who is three and **** in 'sposies!! : )

....Thanks for letting me rant and vent!
#93 of 120 Old 02-08-2007, 02:58 PM

OH MAN! I needed this topic 2 weeks ago! I can only spend $60 a month on groceries! DH is only making $1000/mo right now. I have been creatively useing what we have but we only have $18 left!

The USDA is coming out here this afternoon to hand out free food... DD#1 and I are going to get in line! They give 1 bag of food per person in the family... or so I have heard. Problem is... it's snowing and I will have to take the truck! So there goes the savings... IN GAS!

Thanks for the ideas ladies!

Jenn mama to M(11), A(8), A (5), J (4), K(4mo)

#94 of 120 Old 02-08-2007, 03:00 PM

i spent about $20 last night for dinner, beer and bowling with dear friends. not going to feel too bad about that though.

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.
#95 of 120 Old 02-08-2007, 03:46 PM

I so need to join this thread .. I went on a diaper craze buying pockets .. and we are behind on our bills ... so here are my rules

**no more diapers -we do not need them
**eat what we have -out of pantry and fridge -only buy perishables (milk..)
** no household products needed -use them up too incl bathroom items
** do not go to your favorite consignment store for 30 days :
** set an allowance and stick to it
** do not go to the store unless you NEED something since it is too tempting otherwise

OK so here we go .. i totally want to do this .. i need it .. our tax return is going to mostly be to get us out of a hole and move to downstairs apt (we are upstairs facing the sun all day and in cali that stinks )'
ETA: DS b-day is next month but we have plenty of stuff for him already .. so i will only buy what is needed to have his party and the one or 2 things dh and i already agreed on ( new soft shoes and one other present)
#96 of 120 Old 02-09-2007, 05:21 PM

Went and did a grocery shop and spent a bit more than anticipated, but still did well considering what I normally spend. I had to buy some laundry soap and yet another birthday present so my household spending is a bit more than I would like.

Food: $29.41 + $166.20 = $195.61

Household: $64.93 + $54.69 = $119.62

I think this month I am just going to keep really close track of what I spend and then next month actually set a budget based on what we spend this month and what expenses are planned for the month.
#97 of 120 Old 02-09-2007, 05:50 PM

I broke yesterday and bought a pair of shoes. I don't feel bad though because I used money I'd saved, and I haven't bought myself anything sine the day after Christmas. But I am furious with DP for getting a speeding ticket this morning. I realize that technically he had no control. He was only going 4 miles over so I should probably be mad at the trooper. But why can't I get him to just be responsible and not be the cause of so much money slipping through our fingers. Argh!

Thanks for listening to my little vent. You may go back to your regularly scheduled non-spending.
#98 of 120 Old 02-09-2007, 07:45 PM
bec

Quote:
Originally Posted by katebleu View Post
I broke yesterday and bought a pair of shoes. I don't feel bad though because I used money I'd saved, and I haven't bought myself anything sine the day after Christmas. But I am furious with DP for getting a speeding ticket this morning. I realize that technically he had no control. He was only going 4 miles over so I should probably be mad at the trooper. But why can't I get him to just be responsible and not be the cause of so much money slipping through our fingers. Argh!

Thanks for listening to my little vent. You may go back to your regularly scheduled non-spending.
He might consider contesting the ticket. Here's a site that might help. http://ticketkiller.com/free-ticket-...c4c85110f06b0f 4 over doesn't seem fair.

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#99 of 120 Old 02-09-2007, 10:30 PM

i did not spend any money today.

i did use a coupon for a free breakfast bagel and my gift card to buy a book. dd played at the bookstore with the train table and at the playground.

tomorrow i will spend money for lunch with friends before seeing the vagina monologues, which i also paid $20 for two tickets.

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.
#100 of 120 Old 02-10-2007, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bec View Post
He might consider contesting the ticket. Here's a site that might help. http://ticketkiller.com/free-ticket-...c4c85110f06b0f 4 over doesn't seem fair.
Turns out he may have been going more than just four over the speed limit. That's what the ticket was for, but I have feeling it was less than ten. He said the trooped gave him the least ticket he could. On the upside he did consent to switching DVD players (we never use the one in out room) in stead of buying a new one for the living room, and he said the cheap ear phones he bought as an emergency stop gap work fine and don't need to be replaced. That probably makes up the $70 dollars. I'm also just less annoyed this morning.
#101 of 120 Old 02-11-2007, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wurzelkind View Post
X-Posted in Nutriton&Good Eating!
Anyway....I'd like to make some fish patties for dinner to use up that pollock filets that have been in my freezer for way to long - 3 months maybe?- but I cannpt find a good recipe either on rezipezaar.com or allrecipes.com.
Can you mamas give me some help, please?!
My MIL makes great fish cakes (usually with the striped bass FIL catches). I'll try to remember all the ingredients:

- chopped raw fish
- bread crumbs
- shredded onions
- minced celery
- egg
- salt and pepper

(I don't have exact measurements - I just adjust to the right consistency. You could certainly use some mayo in there too.)

I think that's all...mix it up and fry in a pan in a small amt of oil.
#102 of 120 Old 02-12-2007, 02:38 PM

I'm sucking this month. Really, really sucking.

Last Thurs DD1 had her chinese class. It's at her teacher's apartment which is about a mile from the big-time brand-new awesome Whole Foods. So, I put DD2 in the jogging stroller and we walked to WF. I spent $50!!! Tea tree oil, badger balm for sleep, wine, a cinnamon roll for DD1, tea, other stuff. Then I went to Costco on Friday. Spent $57. Then I went to Target because I'm going to sew DD1 dresses for this summer by attaching a gathered skirt to a t-shirt. I went to Target to buy t-shirts, picked up some DVDs that were on sale or that I've just been wanting. Spent $98!!!! Then I spent $96 on regular weekly grocery shopping yesterday. Holy smokes!!! I'm outta control. Someone take my credit card away from me!!

This week will be better. It has to be.
#103 of 120 Old 02-12-2007, 02:44 PM

I'm not doing real well this month either. We had put an offer on a house so I was gearing up for a major change in spending, and that's not going to happen now. I bought a pair of capris with my Old Navy card because I was mad about the house thing. We also went out to eat Sunday morning to straighten things out. I have to go to the store today, and we need a bunch of things regardless of their sale status. At least my store coupons came so I won't totally blow the budget at the store, but I promised DP we could do sushi on Valentines Day so I'm just going to write this week off and start over on Friday.
#104 of 120 Old 02-12-2007, 03:45 PM

Ladies of the no-spend challenge, please forgive me, for I have sinned.

The month started off well. I spent $150 of our $300 grocery budget on the 1st, but got a ton of staples and we still have plenty of food on the 12th.

Since then I have bought:
  • Dinner out for DH (Valentine's, birthday, promotion at work)
  • Plane tickets to visit my best friend in Austin in April - budgeted for, but still hurts
  • And I will be spending $75 on a post-natal yoga class for March. Can't afford it, but I need to get back into fitness.

Mind you, I would rather live on beans and rice for a month and then splurge on a fancy meal than distribute the money through the whole month.:

I think what I've learned through the last month and a half of no-spend challeges is to curb the everyday little things that add up. I can now take a window-shopping walk without going into the coffee shop or the used book store. I have also stopped looking enviously at all the SAHMs on the street who are size 2 and wearing lululemon and $200 highlights, and started regarding them as a freak show.
#105 of 120 Old 02-12-2007, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nina_yyc View Post
Ladies of the no-spend challenge, please forgive me, for I have sinned.
TOO FUNNY!

Quote:
I think what I've learned through the last month and a half of no-spend challeges is to curb the everyday little things that add up. I can now take a window-shopping walk without going into the coffee shop or the used book store. I have also stopped looking enviously at all the SAHMs on the street who are size 2 and wearing lululemon and $200 highlights, and started regarding them as a freak show.
$200 highlights?!?! Wow... Spending that EVERY MONTH would give me chest pains!

Jenn mama to M(11), A(8), A (5), J (4), K(4mo)

#106 of 120 Old 02-12-2007, 08:07 PM

OOOH! I'm playing, even if Feb is half gone already!

ACK! I'll have to be more creative in my meal planning haha!
#107 of 120 Old 02-12-2007, 09:07 PM
bec

I've not been so good.

I've spent money on:
Fixing the dishwasher
fixing the frozen pipes
Buying a new bra (desperately needed, as the last one broke)
Spring classes/summer camp for the kids
Craft project for dd's valentime's party at school
Groceries
A movie with DH
: : :

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#108 of 120 Old 02-12-2007, 09:23 PM

Ok, so I ended up spending $28 at the grocery store in stead of the $15 I wanted to spend, but I got $40 worth of merchandise including tylanol, shampoo, a Valentines gift for DP (new chef's knife) and a shirt for me. I didn't actually need many groceries, mostly soda crackers and an onion.
#109 of 120 Old 02-16-2007, 05:50 PM

bumping....
#110 of 120 Old 02-19-2007, 02:00 AM

We're still doing pretty well here. I'm getting more into the habit of looking for homemade or secondhand alternatives to things. For example, I'm getting started on my garden, and I've been saving plastic food containers all winter for starting the seeds and growing the seedlings. Also, instead of buying this to dry Ziploc bags, I'm going to put chopsticks into a vase. Occasionally, my sense of aesthetics gets in the way, LOL, but it's fun to find ways to reuse products and save money.
#111 of 120 Old 02-19-2007, 11:18 AM

Jennisee -- the bag drying thing is a GREAT idea! I'm going to steal it. I think chopsticks in a vase will look as good as the contraption in that link. I'm terrible about throwing away my baggies.

I did well at the grocery store yesterday. Spent a little over $50. Then DH decided he wanted to grill for dinner. The weather was gorgeous yesterday. So he made a separate trip and spent another $20 or so. :

Last week wasn't good for no-spend. I went to the eye doctor (hadn't been since June 2003). And I bought a new pair of glasses (mine were 5 yrs old and my Rx has changed). Next week I'll be buying new contacts. So, the eyes are costing us some serious money. But it's gotta be done. I can't see w/o the glasses or contacts.
#112 of 120 Old 02-19-2007, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

We're doing okay. I think we're going to end up spending a little more than I wanted to, but we're still doing fine. I might shrink next month's food budget as well and see if I can do it that month, too.

I've been using up the ricotta in my fridge for homemade macaroni and cheese, so we had one meal for dinner the other night and there are 3 more in the freezer waiting for me. I need to make another batch to use up the rest of the ricotta next week. But this is also good because there's a bunch of pregnant mommies in my moms group, so I'll have something else ready to go for 'em if we decide to share that particular meal.

Just made banana bread today, made cookie bars yesterday, plan to make granola bars in a day or two, and there's something else I've got waiting in the wings... Oh, homemade goldfish crackers! My 3yo is so excited about these, except I've only got a dog bone and moon cookie cutter. But he'll definitely be fine with those. I just hope the recipe turns out as good as I hope.

I'm also gearing up for our garden. Saw a tip somewhere about using old (plastic) milk jugs as little planters. I'm all over that, and now my kitchen is littered with rinsed juice and milk gallon jugs. Need to find a home for them until I have enough to make it worth dh pulling out a power tool and decapitating and drilling them. Still working on figuring out drip irrigation though... Since we're so into our garden and making it better, we've been putting aside money every month for more supplies and seeds and such - pretty much all we started with is a sad old raised bed the former owners half-assed. Besides, if I'm going to grow something, it's going to be useful, not frou-frou pretty. Our only nods to frou-frou are leftover rose bushes that we totally ignore besides pruning and french marigolds to help with some pests. I'm such a spoilsport.

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
#113 of 120 Old 02-19-2007, 04:28 PM

Anyone have any good ideas for a can of cherry pie filling? (Other than cherry pie, that is!)

flowersforyou.gif

#114 of 120 Old 02-19-2007, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

Little cheesecake tartlets? (chocolate crumb-type shell, cheesecake filling, plop a cherry or two on top of each one)

A crumb or cherry betty (vs. apple betty)?

A regular cheesecake would be my dh's automatic answer...

That help any or are you looking for something a little healthier?

#115 of 120 Old 02-19-2007, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila the Honey View Post
Anyone have any good ideas for a can of cherry pie filling? (Other than cherry pie, that is!)
mixed into plain yogurt?
warmed as a sauce for ice cream?
make a cherry upside down cake? (like a pineapple upside down cake only with your cherry filling instead)

I'm joining this challenge as I have been very, very naughty financially this last month. I'm not sure what to blame it on, maybe the fact that I have been really struggling with depression. We desperately need to finish remodeling our current home with what savings we have left, as we want to sell next year to buy a home on acreage for our future 'homestead' I really, truly want to live our dream, and to do it requires a huge change in our spending habits. We had been doing really good before Christmas, but during the holidays and since then I've been AWFUL. I can't blame it on my DH, it is definitely all on me...

I need to really pinch some pennies so that our bank account balance is always getting bigger rather than constantly getting smaller I know we are perfectly capable of doing that if we stick to a really good grocery budget and only buy what we need and try to get it on consignment. The kids will be needing new clothes probably next month but I know I can get them consignment and just get what they need rather than what is cute at Target. I need to start cooking more beans & rice type meals from scratch out of our pantry. I need your support mamas, I know I can do this, I just need help staying on track :-)

I'm officially joining for what is left of Feb and all of March.

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

#116 of 120 Old 02-20-2007, 02:13 AM

celestialdreamer. I definitely battle the budget when I'm feeling depressed, but MDC can be a great source of support and motivation.
#117 of 120 Old 02-20-2007, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmonter View Post
Little cheesecake tartlets? (chocolate crumb-type shell, cheesecake filling, plop a cherry or two on top of each one)

A crumb or cherry betty (vs. apple betty)?

A regular cheesecake would be my dh's automatic answer...

That help any or are you looking for something a little healthier?
Not necessarily healthier, but something that won't involve a trip to the store. I don't have the stuff to make a cheesecake, unfortunately. I have staples, though - flour, sugar, oats, etc.

I made a cherry cobbler and it went over very well, but I still have more cans of it so if anyone has any more ideas lay them on me.

flowersforyou.gif

#118 of 120 Old 02-20-2007, 09:34 AM

Cherries -- serve them over pancakes. Or, make crepes and fill the crepes with the cherries. mix them into an oatmeal cookie batter.
#119 of 120 Old 02-20-2007, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprildawn View Post
Cherries -- serve them over pancakes. Or, make crepes and fill the crepes with the cherries. mix them into an oatmeal cookie batter.
Oooh, .

Or, depending on how adventerous you feel, you could try drying some cherries in your oven (I'm pretty sure you can do that, but I'm sure you'd have to drain them) and make some granola bars or something.

#120 of 120 Old 02-21-2007, 05:48 PM

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page