Hair Cuts - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 33 Old 03-01-2007, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was just wondering what you all thought about the idea of cutting your own hair? My mom cuts her own hair and cut her kids hair all the time. I don't have much experience in cutting hair (last time I cut my own hair my mom fixed it for me ) and I know if I didn't want to do it myself I could ask her. I just don't know if I want to wait. Silly I know.Do any of you cut your own hair and/or dp and dc(s) hair?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 33 Old 03-01-2007, 11:25 PM

I have cut dh's hair before. I can do just as good of a job as the barber, but it takes me forever to get it done, so it seems like $10 well spent.

I've tried cutting ds's hair, but since I'm so slow, he loses patience eventually. He ends up looking like he has a mullet.

I'm scared to cut my own hair. To be frugal, I only get it cut about every 6 months or so. And, we haven't cut dd's hair at all yet. Although we probably should. Poor kid's hair reaches all the way down to her mouth, when I don't have it clipped back.
#3 of 33 Old 03-01-2007, 11:26 PM

I do my own trims and trim my husband's hair. I also occasionally neaten up his neckline.

Of course, we both have long hair--no layers or bangs or anything fancy. His hair is easier (curly) because it doesn't show tiny inconsistencies. Mine is stick straight and very hard to cut even.

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

#4 of 33 Old 03-02-2007, 01:04 AM

We do all haircuts at home. We bought clippers to use on DH's and DSs' hair. Both DH and I cut the kids' hair, DH cuts my hair, and DH also cuts his own hair.

I think the last time I was at a salon was 3 years ago when my MIL took me in for a birthday present. To be honest, I wasn't all that impressed. I don't see any need to pay $60 for a haircut when DH can do just as good of a job for free.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#5 of 33 Old 03-02-2007, 02:04 AM

I have cut my own hair. Sometimes I need dh to check the back for me.
I cut dd's hair when it gets cut. Dh goes to his uncle to get his hair cut.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#6 of 33 Old 03-02-2007, 02:07 AM

I bought a set of clippers with all the combs from Sam's club. I do the boys' hair and DH's. I hate doing DH's because he wears a longer style (short in the back and sides, but longish on top), so it's hard for me to do. The kids are easy, I just run the clippers with the comb over their heads. I pay to have my hair cut, but I have a pretty simple style (anywhere between chin and mid-back length, with bangs), so I go somewhere inexpensive like Great Clips. When I had short hair, I went to a more expensive salon because the cheaper places always messed it up.
#7 of 33 Old 03-02-2007, 03:40 AM

I cut the kid's hair. DD won't let a non-family member touch her, so I pretty much have to do hers. She's been wanting to grow her hair long, so it's only needed split ends trimmed off the bottom, and the bangs done periodically. Her bangs end up funky-looking because she scrunches her nose and forehead (to keep the trimmed hair out of her eyes). Oh well. DS is touch sensitive - I can hardly comb his hair. So I cut his hair while he's asleep. It comes out kind of funky, too - it's hard to tell when it's even when he's lying down! But at least it's cut. I used to cut dh's hair, but he's been going to the barber lately. I think that's a comment on my skills. I've been contemplating cutting my own hair, but given my track record, I'm kind of scared to <g>.

Kristin
mom to dd (5 1/2), ds (2 1/2) and #3 due in June
#8 of 33 Old 03-02-2007, 08:11 AM

I cut dd's hair. Simple straight cut on the bottom in the back and bangs.

I have horrible fine hair, so I do actually indulge at a salon for myself. I'm also prematurely gray and although I don't mind the color at all (I earned every one of them), they stick up at weird angles, so I get my hair colored to tame them.

Dh likes to have his hair done in a barber shop. He's from Turkey and they do the whole straight-blade shave and hot towel. It's quite the ritual. He enjoys the ritual. I've cut his hair before, but I don't pamper him as much as they do, I guess.
#9 of 33 Old 03-02-2007, 10:08 AM

I cut two of my kids' hair. The middle child (13) prefers Hair Cuttery but he doesn't want haircuts too often. I'd happily take my other two (16 and 9) also if they wanted, but they prefer to have me do it. I have people ask me all the time where I get their haircuts so I guess I'm doing a good enough job! DH would love me to cut his too, but I refuse...he keeps his short and he has several cowlicks to deal with - I'll leave him to the professionals!
#10 of 33 Old 03-02-2007, 10:47 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I don't, I like my hair to look stylish and I know I can't do that for myself (razored with lots of ghoppy layers) I have thought about practicing on DS's hair but haven't gotten around to buying clippers and good scissors.

We spend $156 year om haircuts at the salon.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#11 of 33 Old 03-02-2007, 11:33 AM

I cut my dh and dd's hair. My ds doesn't have enough of it yet. I get a $60 haircut about twice a year.
#12 of 33 Old 03-02-2007, 12:42 PM

No way! I tried to give Bella's bangs a trim this morning and ugh! Why didn't I just stop in the shop later and get a trim...bang trims are free.

We all go to the same gal in this funky little shop. We love everyone there and I love supporting their business....and my hair always looks fantastic!

My little man is the one in the slideshow with the green mohawk.
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endid=98632179
#13 of 33 Old 03-02-2007, 05:00 PM

If anyone is interested, here is a fantastic method of self-trimming that I've recently discovered, have used twice, and absolutely LOVE because you can choose your own "hemline" whereas a salon will usually only do straight across.

Feye's Self-Trimming Instructions

They are really easy to follow, have pictures, and the best part is that they work. I'm also reasonably certain that they could be modified for one person to do on another as well; maybe by standing behind them or something?

I've got my hair into a nice deep U-shape now, and I absolutely love it!

Finding space and peace of mind, right where you are. Knowing that the less you own, the more control you have.
Realizing that less is not more, because you don't want more. You have too much already.  Less is best!                              www.lessisbest.net
#14 of 33 Old 03-02-2007, 05:18 PM
Dar

We go to the beauty school here, and spend $5 on good haircuts, which includes a shampoo and head massage. The teachers check and fix stuff if it needs fixing, and we've never had a bad experience. The only downside is that a haircut takes about an hour, but it's a pleasant hour.

We both have very thick, fine hair with odd little wavy bits, and I've tried at home a few times but it never works well. With a boy I might...

dar

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#15 of 33 Old 03-02-2007, 06:19 PM

I have cut my own hair--took off about 6-7 inches the first time. I need Dh to straighten out the back. No one knew I had done it myself.

Now I usually go to the beauty college, mostly because I LOVE to have my hair washed. Ah, scalp massage. Its $5-7 plus tip and I've never had a bad experience.

Dh has, um, very little hair left so I cut his hair with a store bought system. I use the trimmer with the smallest guard. I found that I do a better job even than the beauty college staff because, quite frankly, by now I have just as much practice.

Ds doesn't have enough hair to cut. But, unless its very fair and I have to worry about his scalp burning in the summer time, I'll probably just use the trimmer on him too but with a longer guard.
#16 of 33 Old 03-02-2007, 08:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Dh does his own hair, a simple buzz. I do his neckline.
I've done Dh (back when he had more to cut and couldn't do it himself) but I'm too slow and dd is too fiesty.
I go only 4x yr to save $

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#17 of 33 Old 03-02-2007, 08:42 PM

DH does his own hair. He shaves it with clippers. My hair is all one length, so its as simple snip across the bottom every few months. I have dh do it for me. We have not yet cut dd's hair, and don't know what we plan on doing with it yet. She is 16 months old and it is growing past her eyes now and will not wear barrets.
#18 of 33 Old 03-02-2007, 10:50 PM

DH shaves his head every few weeks, I do his neckline. We both trim the kids hair. And I trim my bangs, when I have them. I'm trying to convince DH to trim the rest of my hair occasionally, but he's afraid he'll mess up and make me mad. So for now, I have my Dad my trim my hair every 2 months or so.
#19 of 33 Old 03-03-2007, 12:13 AM

I cut DH and DS's hair (but it's a simple clipper cut they wear).

I trim my own bangs when I wear bangs. I let them grow out though, and these days I don't need to trim them!
#20 of 33 Old 03-03-2007, 04:05 AM

Nope, I'm not good at it. Luckily I have a fabulous friend with great prices and sometimes we trade.
Last time we had an old digital camera and she needed one. The kids and I got haircuts and I got a wax. Great deal for me and for her (I hope!).

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#21 of 33 Old 03-04-2007, 12:51 PM

I cut DP's hair, CD's hair, and most of my friends' hair, as well.

I would like to cut my own, but I'm not quite brave enough to go it alone, so I have a friend cut it to "all one length," and I add my own layers afterward.

alsoSarah

I just happen to like apples, and I am not afraid of snakes. ~Ani d.
These dolls and toys confuse me so; Confound it all, I love it, though!~J. Skellington
#22 of 33 Old 03-04-2007, 01:14 PM

I used to cut dh's hair, but he has a big block head and I always messed it up. So he goes to the cheap-o places (we ALL have very fast growing hair, so he does have to go once a month, but at least he doesn't look like an escapee from some deranged institution!). I do cut ds' hair, as his hair grows really fast and I figure I can cut a tiny bit each night, where if I took him to a place he would squirm, they would mess up, and he would get a buzz cut

I go to a salon to get my hair cut, but I have short hair and if I go to a cheap-o place, I end up with a men's hair cut. Yuck! This is one of my non-frugal things, since I aklso get my eyebrows waxed when I go (but it makes me feel SOO pretty, and I am a WOHM).
#23 of 33 Old 03-04-2007, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conteuse View Post
If anyone is interested, here is a fantastic method of self-trimming that I've recently discovered, have used twice, and absolutely LOVE because you can choose your own "hemline" whereas a salon will usually only do straight across.

Feye's Self-Trimming Instructions

They are really easy to follow, have pictures, and the best part is that they work. I'm also reasonably certain that they could be modified for one person to do on another as well; maybe by standing behind them or something?

I've got my hair into a nice deep U-shape now, and I absolutely love it!
I use this method as well and I have a nice slightly U shape to my hair. Very easy and more or less fool proof. I use it on my daughter as well.
#24 of 33 Old 03-04-2007, 02:31 PM

I could never cut my own hair. I can't cut in a strait line to save my life. When we don't have a lot of cash and I want to do something new to my hair I go to the beauty college in town. Great prices on everything, and the students are all watched by the teachers, so it's not like they just go crazy or anything.

SAHM to Ninja Boy (6) surf.gif and Monkey Man (4) carrot.gif.

#25 of 33 Old 03-04-2007, 02:42 PM

I cut everybody's hair. Well, not ds, because we're still in denial that he *needs* a haircut. He's got this fine mass of curls that dh can't bear to think of cutting. But dd's hair, and dh's, I cut. I use clippers on him and scissors on her. She has a hard time sitting still, but I manage to keep her looking presentable.

Mine, however, I get cut by a licensed professional. I don't do much with my hair, other than wash it and brush it, so I need a good cut to avoid looking like a disheveled mess. What I spend on the cut I save on time, energy, and hair products.

Dh's hair is so easy to do with the clippers that it would be silly to pay for haircuts for him.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#26 of 33 Old 03-05-2007, 06:55 AM

I go to the beauty school in town and pay $8 for a wash, head massage, cut, and style. Honestly, I view it more as entertainment or an extravagance. I LOVE having someone wash and massage my head, so I go get my hair cut about 3 times a year. I figure $24 plus tips is worth it every year to make me feel so great.

I cut DH's hair about every 8 weeks. Last time, he got it cut at a salon, because he had a job interview 2 days later and wanted it to look nice. I must admit, they did a great job.

My DS is 2 and I've cut his hair 3 times now. It's sure not easy, but I took him to a salon to have it cut once, and they did no better.
#27 of 33 Old 03-05-2007, 10:56 AM

I cut my own hair. It is long, so i just cut it straight across the bottom. Also, it is curly so a little bit of inconsistencies disappears.

My husband gets his hair cut at the barber for $8. It is important that he looks decent at work, so I don't want to mess with that. I definitely don't feel qualified to cut men's hairstyles.

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
#28 of 33 Old 03-06-2007, 04:22 AM

I cut DH's and DS's hair, but I pay to get mine cut. However I get mine cut on average about 1-2 times a year. I usually get it chopped off whenever I get it cut into a style that will grow out nicely. I recently got mine cut after about 9 months and I got about 9 inches cut off.

I first started cutting DH's hair when we were dating and his first year of haircuts were not my best work! But he's cheap so he lived through it and now if he gets a haircut elsewhere for some reason he always wants me to fix it when he gets home because I've now perfected his cut to just the way he wants it. After 8 years of haircuts on DH alone I think we've more than made up for the cost of the clippers!

DS 4/2002 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif
DD 3/2009 toddler.gif
#29 of 33 Old 03-06-2007, 01:36 PM

I "cut" DH's hair regularly but only because he basically shaves it all off and that is easy to do with good clippers! I have cut both DS's hair when they were really little or needed a tiny trim, but we take them for cheap haircuts every three months or so. I would never cut anything on my hair except my bangs - I try not to go too often maybe 1-3 times per year, depending on finances and such - when I go I always get a cut and foils though. To save money I often go to a local school which is pretty decently priced (it takes forever though!!) I dye my own hair 3-4 times a year in between salon visits.

Laurie wahm (virtual paralegal) of 3 wonderful boys (11, 9, 5). 1st by c-section for breech, 2 by VBAC (one miscarriage between child #1 and #2).

#30 of 33 Old 03-06-2007, 04:55 PM

I cut DH's hair. We have clippers and a pair of nice scissors and he usually just likes to have a "buzz cut" so that's pretty easy. THen I trim up the back and shave his neck a little (with the clippers). I cut Ds's hair and that's definitely a challenge. I've only done it twice so far since he's only 16 months. Just the other night I cut my own hair and I *think* it's surprisingly even, but I'm still paranoid that it's not! But...I'm not going to pay someone $40 to "fix" it. I usually wear it up anyway. LOL

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page