Single income families: What is the earner's job and how much does he or she make? - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: How much does the wage earner make?
under $20,000 17 4.87%
$20-$30,000 47 13.47%
$30-$40,000 44 12.61%
$40-$50,000 53 15.19%
$50-$60,000 52 14.90%
$60-$80,000 50 14.33%
$80-$100,000 32 9.17%
over $100,000 54 15.47%
Voters: 349. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 88 Old 03-19-2007, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think this is an interesting question and I'd love to see some responses! Also, if you don't mind, were you used to a single income before children or did you have to make a change from two to one incomes, and how drastic was that change? Poll to follow.

To answer my own questions: I am married, my husband is the wage earner and I stay at home with our 2 (soon to be 3!) daughters. We've been a single income family for about 4 years now, though that single income is more than our combined incomes were when we had our first child, so the change wasn't drastic at all in our case.

oops, forgot to add what he does: He works for a Fortune 500 company as a manager and network designer.
#2 of 88 Old 03-19-2007, 04:14 PM

Single income family here - we live quite comfortably on less than $20,000. For myself and my 3 year old.
#3 of 88 Old 03-19-2007, 04:17 PM

My partner works for the MInistry of Transportation in the IT department. We got married and had kids out of univ, so I never had an income as such.

We would be doing okay if it weren't for all our student loans.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#4 of 88 Old 03-19-2007, 04:17 PM

We're sort of in an odd income-and-a-half space. I work full-time and make about $50,000, my partner is a student and was on a fellowship making about $30,000, but will soon be down to a student stipend level, which will be variable, so we're not sure how big a hit we'll be taking, but it will certainly be a hit. However, we don't have kids, and one of the reasons we don't is that we want to be comfortably and fully dual-income before we consider adding to the family.
#5 of 88 Old 03-19-2007, 04:18 PM

Single income family here-myself,dh,3 dc and we pay a decent amount of support for my step son whom we see often...I'd say more than the courts would allott.....With the birth of my 3rd child we came to live on right at 30k maybe 32k...I voted in the 20k-30k spot even though I probably shouldnt have....I'd be comfortable saying that we make 30k and are VERY used to just simply being without ANY extra money....I USED to work for a big name cosmetics company and made about 26k so we almost cut it in half.....we've adjusted quite nicely and I feel so much richer just being at home.
#6 of 88 Old 03-19-2007, 04:21 PM

A poll is better anyway.

Quote:
were you used to a single income before children or did you have to make a change from two to one incomes, and how drastic was that change?
I didn't work during my PG-DS1 being 6 months. I didn't need the income but wanted a weekend job. DH and I both worked (opposite days) until DS1 was 4 then DH was a SAHD for 2 years. Moving here (from WA) I have been SAH for 2.5 years. DH will SAH at the end of the year while I go back to work.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#7 of 88 Old 03-19-2007, 04:33 PM
Banned

Dh works for Dell and he makes $33500 a year. He just got this promotion...he was in sales before and it was considerably less. I'm so glad we wont get commission anymore! yay! We pay MUCH less in taxes that way!

We live pretty comfortably - we are saving to build a (tiny) home next year so our budget is tight...that's okay though, it's worth it!

Before we had DD I worked full time and Dh went to school and for part of that time he worked part time at the fabulous taco bell

I've thought about going back to work ... sometimes when parenting drives me batty but nah, i'm just gonna leave it to him - he loves his job so i'm cool with it!
#8 of 88 Old 03-19-2007, 04:35 PM

We're single income in anticipation of children--turtle stays home, I work outside of the home. She does some beading on the side, though her primary job is taking care of the house and pets. In addition to my regular job, I also take in freelance editing.

ETA: I plan events for a living.
#9 of 88 Old 03-19-2007, 04:39 PM

We are right at 50,000. Hubby is a CPA and works as a field examinor for the State. Prior to my son's birth I was a teacher and actually made more than hubby so it was a switch but not really a big deal for us. We had always planned for me to have an option for me to stop working when we had kids so we made choices with that in mind. For example, we bought a house we could afford to pay off quickly and we put my entire salary to that until it was paid off. So we were practicing for losing my salary for several years before the boys were born. We have no other debt (no car payments) so that makes it possible to be really comfortable on his salary. We find it harder now because one of my son's autism diagnosis and lots of health issues and out of pocket therapy and medical expenses has made it tougher but still we do ok.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#10 of 88 Old 03-19-2007, 04:41 PM

Just under 20 thousand a year after taxes for family of four. My partner ( not legally married) is apprentacing in the trades right now but we have had winter layoffs for the last 4 years or so.
Before kids we both worked but were university age and drinking beer, eating out and going to lots of shows so we never got used to having a bunch of money!

:
#11 of 88 Old 03-19-2007, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lissa View Post
My partner works for the MInistry of Transportation in the IT department. We got married and had kids out of univ, so I never had an income as such.

Exactly! Except subsitute "National Defence" for "Ministry of Transportation".

he makes about $65,000
#12 of 88 Old 03-19-2007, 04:46 PM

I'm a single mom with two kids and live hovering under the 20 000 mark--all of it from student loans.
It's not fun all the time but I try to make the best of it. I would love to hire a house-cleaner, chauffer, and cook. Then I'd be fiiiiine

I had more money when I was with their dad. He has wage potential and makes about 2500/month (of which I haven't seen a penny in months).
#13 of 88 Old 03-19-2007, 04:50 PM

Dh makes ruffly 32,000 a year. He is a welder. When I worked our combined income was around 42,000 a year. So we live on 12,000 a year less now than we did before we had kids. I have 2 and havnt worked since 99 dd was born in 00.

We still struggle daily with $ and things couldnt be any worse without us loosing everything but I will be a SAHM till ds is in school. Then I will not work unless I can be home when they are.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#14 of 88 Old 03-19-2007, 05:54 PM

I used to live in substidized houseing and my DH is my childrens step-dad. When we got married it was a big change for us. We both had real bills and a real house to take care of rather than our previous situations (me pay 6.00 a month rent and him living with friends or relatives).

My mom suggested we all get a house together and we found our dream house almost right away. We were waiting to hear if we got it when my DH got a great job. Two years later I am still able to SAH despite a billion different issues we've struggled through. We've considered me working a few times but we only have one car and DH is gone 12 hours a day and I don't want to be gone at night (and DH doesn't want me to either). Mostly we are staying afloat and we don't have credit cards.

The only problem we have is my DH gets laid off every year and we have not been able to prepare for it. Last year my selling our baby sugar gliders got us through but I'd like to be a bit more prepared so it doesn't bring us to our knees and take 6 months to recover from.

The only thing currently that we cannot afford is medical bills. Deductables and what our insurance does not cover. We are still recovering from last years lay off but I am starting to get things a bit more under control with those.

He made just under 30,000 last year.

Mom to DD 14 and DS 12
#15 of 88 Old 03-19-2007, 06:01 PM

i support my partner/wife (we cannnot legally marry), myself, and our son on a single income. i brought home under $15K last year.

Mommy to a wonderfully passionate little one
#16 of 88 Old 03-19-2007, 07:25 PM

Going by last year's taxes we made under 20,000 for a family of six. Dh has worked while I have sah for six years now. I was making so little at the job I had before quitting that we didn't notice much of a difference at the time
I've toyed with the idea of going back to work but the reality is it would be too expensive for me to work outside the home. Dh's hours are too all over the place/unpredicable for us to be able to swing shift. I tried getting into school but hit the same brick wall. But at least we're doing better so far this year as our one income is much better than in it's been in the past, and any plans for me working in the future are far off in the distance for now.

oh eta: Dh works in the kitchen of a restaurant currently. He's been a restaurant mngr, bookstore mngr, security guard and some other things I can't think of right now. Not all exactly high paying, so we are used to being frugal.
#17 of 88 Old 03-19-2007, 07:27 PM

We're living on Dh's income alone now because I am staying home with dd. He makes a little over 60k as a professor. I was working in non-profit healthcare before dd and together we made about 80k. We live in a very expensive area and are just squeaking by without dipping into our savings. We cannot afford to buy a home here (average homes are at least $650k and up) and are looking to relocate, which is unfortunate because we love the area.

Happily parenting our snuggly wild child since 2007 and her little brother since 2011!

#18 of 88 Old 03-19-2007, 07:31 PM

DH makes around $65,000 a year. We had considerable debt until the last 2 years. We had tons of student loan debt and credit card debt. Last month we paid off all debt except the house and one of the cars. Up until 2 months ago, I have been off work for 15 months. Now I work very part time (about 8 hours a week) and only make $500 a month, so dh is still considered the bread winner.
#19 of 88 Old 03-19-2007, 07:39 PM

DH makes $73K a year plus he receives additional bonus quarterly. He is a Sr. Landscape Architect Project Manager for a small Architectural/Landscape Architecture firm.

I became a SAHM October 2005. But, I would like to get a job I could work from home.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#20 of 88 Old 03-19-2007, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaMama View Post
I think this is an interesting question and I'd love to see some responses! Also, if you don't mind, were you used to a single income before children or did you have to make a change from two to one incomes, and how drastic was that change? Poll to follow.

To answer my own questions: I am married, my husband is the wage earner and I stay at home with our 2 (soon to be 3!) daughters. We've been a single income family for about 4 years now, though that single income is more than our combined incomes were when we had our first child, so the change wasn't drastic at all in our case.

oops, forgot to add what he does: He works for a Fortune 500 company as a manager and network designer.
When I was pregnant with #1 we were just out of HS, and we moved to be near my family. DH and I were making almost 8000 a year each..!!!!
I was a SAHM immediately. We lived with his father, who paid the rent and we used our one income to pay for the stuff dd needed.
Over the last 5 years we've relocated and dh has been working hard up the job food chain and we make just over 25,000 year. (He works at the Tropicana plant in our town)
My sister also lives in with us. If she didn't I would have to work.
The first year we were together we had two incomes and the only difference now is that before we were wasting 90% of our money (18 with no kids) We only have 20% left over to spend on whatever we want.

mother to E-(8).... A-(6) .... & N-(5)
Vivian Claire born 3-11-10.... ...still an , extendedmomma :
#21 of 88 Old 03-19-2007, 07:46 PM

My DH makes ~100k. I used to make $65k but quit when we had our son. Less money, but we have plenty. Less in savings, less trips, but I wouldn't trade it for anything. When we were both working I was able to pay off my substantial student loans in a short period of time. We are blessed.
#22 of 88 Old 03-19-2007, 07:46 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frog View Post
We're single income in anticipation of children
This will be us starting in June. Right now we both work full time, but all of my income goes into savings for a home birth and major purchases we plan on making in preparation for living on one income (washer/dryer, bicycles, camping equipment, furniture, cookware, etc.). DH is a CAD technician and makes about 25K after taxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lissa View Post
: Starting in June, we'll be living in a 1BR apt with 1 vehicle, a $125/mo food budget, and zero spending money. The worst part about having $50,000+ in school debt is that neither of us has a degree to show for it

Mama to DS1 (12/07), DS2 (4/11), and DD (6/22/14)
Finally diagnosed with APS after 3 s (11/09, 3/10, 7/13)
#23 of 88 Old 03-19-2007, 07:49 PM

DH works for a Fortune 500 company he is director of marketing and research devlopement and does very well. He takes care of me and the 3 boys ( my oldest 2 are from my first marriage).

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1
#24 of 88 Old 03-19-2007, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
dh makes around $80k. he sells cars and it is only commision. this weeks paycheck was $32 and then some weeks he make over $2k. it really REALLY sucks. it is hard to save like that. with our tax refund though we paid all our bills 2 months ahead so that we can start to save money. finally!
#25 of 88 Old 03-19-2007, 08:21 PM

welll...... we're a single income family.... because i'm a single mama.

i make around $12,000 when i'm lucky, although right now it's more like $10,000 / yr. that's for me and my 2 little chickadees.

eta ~ their father doesn't see them and doesn't pay child support.... (so, no extra income sneaking around. )
#26 of 88 Old 03-19-2007, 09:00 PM

I WAH doing sales (& marketing & whatever else they feel like) or a computer company, dh is a SAHD and writer...

I gross 32,000....

and we're a family of 5

Even though this is the most $$ we've ever had, we're still totally strapped

This paycheck, after bills, we have $60 for food and gas...till March 30

mom to three boys:  reading.gif(18 bigeyes.giffencing.gif(10&7)
#27 of 88 Old 03-19-2007, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal View Post

This paycheck, after bills, we have $60 for food and gas...till March 30
#28 of 88 Old 03-19-2007, 10:01 PM

I quit work a month before my due date with dd1 and other than a year that I worked part-time (when dd1 was 2 years old) I've stayed at home. That year I worked didn't make much difference to our household income because I was paying for childcare and most of the extra went to fund a 2-week trip to England with my mom and sister.
My dh is a Programmer Evangalist for Microsoft and makes decent money. I do plan to go back to work one day and that money will go straight to retirement and college funds!

Gazing furtively at you from under my siggie!
#29 of 88 Old 03-20-2007, 12:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am financially independent from my sons father / kind of partner.

My income was around 50,000 - 55,000 when my son was born (4 years ago) and was up to 65,000 range a few months ago. I am[was] Manager of a software & document conversion company. (I talk in half past tense as the company has been dormant for 6 months (no income right now)).

Sara - Mum to C (10/02) ; m/c 10/07; 7/08; 3/09; Lucy Olive Feb 28, 2010 !
#30 of 88 Old 03-20-2007, 01:19 AM

Dh is our provider for our family of 4, soon to be 5. He is a Dept Mgr at WM and makes just under $24,000/yr. right now. Come July, he will be in the Asst Mgr program and will be making over $38,000/yr.

Before children, we were a 2 income couple, making over $75,000 combined. DH was a computer programmer for a Wall St company and I was a Supervising Teacher at a corporate daycare center. Before DS was born, we paid off most of our debt (student loans, cc, etc). After DS, I became a SAHM. DH was laid off about 1yr after DS was born and he's been out of the industry since. His skills are all self-taught so it is difficult for him to find a job in his field w/o a degree. He continues to apply to IT positions.

We don't fully make ends meet right now, MIL (who shows her love through gifts and money) helps us out when we get in a bind, or we dip into our small emergency fund, but we have no money going INTO savings.

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page