Thrifting for profit - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 106 Old 03-29-2007, 05:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
alright- hold on, your auctions are loading on another window

You're right on the Carter's and OshKosh, fortunatly for pp'ers who are anti-ebay, those are actually really good brands that suck on ebay!

All your Gymbos have line names if they are in the last 5 years or so (there's a date on the tag). Sites like Gymbohaven.com have all the line names and examples of clothes in that line. LOTS of hardcore gymbo fanatics search by line name, so it's very helpful if you can find it, to put it in your title. I, personally, don't do well with gymbo unless it's NWT or a set.

Your Babymini/Catiminis need to have their Euro size in the title... you can put in the american size also, but most searches for those are done with the Euro size, since if you're in the market for them, you already know what size you need.

That tie-dye will sell FAST here on the MDC trading post!!! Seriously! Unless it has a bunch of watchers or something, I'd pull it and list it here for $10-$12/13 (whatever you wanted to make off it). I've put some on here, and I have so many pm's begging me to sell it to them!

Items like the Zutano and Miniwear are called Sleepers.

The Starting Out turtle suit is called a Jon Jon. Jonjon's have a following, no matter the brand (of course some sell better than others, but that's the searchable word for those button-on-the-shoulder, short-legged suits). It's debatable whether jonjon or jon jon is more searched, if I have room I put "jonjon jon" and then it will come up in all searches

You're photos are good!!! Your titles could use some more words or better words in some cases. Instead of words like "cute", "themed", "and", "patterned", "adorable", etc. you need to put more searchable words (like you did with "turtle" in the jonjon one ) Any searchable applique on the outfit as well as "24m 24 m", "2 2t". Also, split up the vitaminsbaby into 2 words. Even including boys or girls or lot in listings like the lot of gymbo shorts.

Some things are just out of season... overalls, flannel shirts, wool dresses, corduroy coats, etc. Those will do much better in Sept/Oct.

You could also lower your shipping a bit, since first class costs much less than that, and packages arrive in the same timeline as priority (has to be at or under 13 oz.). Since shipping is now visible in searches, it helps to have a lower one...

Okay, I'll shut up now! Hope that helped a bit

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 106 Old 03-29-2007, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

Amazingly helpful! Thank you so much!

I haven't been here long enough to trade yet, but when I do I'll certainly trade stuff here as well.

What do you think about the time of day/day of week listings should end? I've heard it's a bad idea to have them end on weekends.
#63 of 106 Old 03-29-2007, 06:14 PM

I end on Mon-Thursday at night. Weekends are bad, you're right - not nearly as many bidders out. You're in central time right? Mine do best (east coast) if I list/end them after 10 pm). So, it could be earlier the further West you get. I read one time that according to ebay, the most people are using their site after 6pm, West Coast time. Of course, my main selling is done with children's items, so the majority of my bidders are bidding after the kiddos have gone to bed

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#64 of 106 Old 03-29-2007, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

I'm taking notes!
#65 of 106 Old 03-29-2007, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by root*children View Post
PP's who feel ebayers are depleting the thrift store inventory - Are you solely in the market for high end/boutique clothing? Because there's plenty to go around of the mart & mall brands. The ebayers aren't buying them up. I would only see this as a problem is someone will only dress their child in Hanna, Zutano, Oilily, etc and settle for nothing less. Then yes, it will be hard to find those at thrifts.
I think it must just be where I live.. it sounds like where the OP is there is more than enough to go around and then some! (and I'm jealous! ) Around here it's really tough.. we only have one thrift shop and there isn't much there to start with- one large metal bin type thing- and after they mark up 'nicer' items and the ebayers come through, it's really only the stained and ripped items left, like I mentioned. Things that would be better fit for rags to clean with. Some of the ppl sell in big lots, so they don't only buy up the boutique brands.
I wish we had more thrift shops around here, I'm not sure why we don't. It's a very high cost of living area and I think there is a real need for it.
I was really only speaking for my area-- If the OP is in an area where there are awesome deals & more than enough clothes to go around, it sounds like she and the ppl who are buying them on e-bay are both making out pretty well, which is awesome.

~e, wife to my sweet T , mama to my turtleman (12) , sunshine (9 ), and monkey (6)
#66 of 106 Old 03-29-2007, 09:57 PM

I sale on Ebay too. I don't sell clothes because I usually make a very small proift. My big sellers are toys, puzzles and games. I recently purchased a playmobil set at the thrift store for $3 and sold it for $100 on Ebay.

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" --Leonardo Da Vinci
 blogging.jpg  780/2014 decluttered

#67 of 106 Old 03-29-2007, 10:34 PM

Good for you zen! I used to sell lots more parenting supplies (slings, toys, diapers, HS curriculum, etc.) and sporting goods (extreme mountain sports), and not many clothes when we lived in Colorado, because it was so accessible. I've had to teach myself about selling clothes here in NC, because it's what floods the market here. My kids are even actually sad that there's no good toys at the thrifts here. It's a bummer - I don't understand why they aren't here

#68 of 106 Old 03-29-2007, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, the toys here suck so far, too. I'm opening to selling whatever I find, clothes have just been what I've found so far.
#69 of 106 Old 03-30-2007, 03:09 AM

I have great toys at the thrift stores by my house. I get Melissa and Doug toys,Ravensburger and Educa puzzles, a ton of wooden toys,waldorf dolls, great books...I just bought the entire Magic treehouse series for $5. I usually buy the stuff for my DS (unless it's for younger ages, then I just sell it) and whatever he doesn't play with or stops playing with, I resale it. That is what I did with the Playmobil. He played with it for a week and decided that he didn't like it and told me to sell it.

#70 of 106 Old 03-30-2007, 02:44 PM

Zen - can I ask what kinds of puzzles sell well for you on Ebay? I looked up Ravensburger & Melissa&Doug (which we have alot of and I see alot of at yard sales here), but they looked so hit or miss, and not really making much profit unless you had a Ravensburger one with a bazillion pieces (over 2000). Any insight? Thx!

I've also not had good luck selling M&D toys on ebay, because the shipping has to be so high (wooden = heavy). Are you making a decent profit on those? Or do just certain ones sell better than others?

#71 of 106 Old 03-30-2007, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

Couple of things:

First, for the naysayers: I asked today at the bins store I frequent most often, and they told me that the ENTIRE STOCK rotates multiple times per week. And "rotate out" does mean gets thrown away. So any residual guilt I had about shopping there for resale is gone. The stuff really is just going to become landfill fodder.

Secondly--does anyone sell dishes on Ebay? How about maternity clothes? Those are things I'm seeing that seem like they might be profitable.
#72 of 106 Old 03-30-2007, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Zen - can I ask what kinds of puzzles sell well for you on Ebay? I looked up Ravensburger & Melissa&Doug (which we have alot of and I see alot of at yard sales here), but they looked so hit or miss, and not really making much profit unless you had a Ravensburger one with a bazillion pieces (over 2000). Any insight? Thx!

I've also not had good luck selling M&D toys on ebay, because the shipping has to be so high (wooden = heavy). Are you making a decent profit on those? Or do just certain ones sell better than others?

I sell ravensburger and M&D puzzles in lots...say 2 or 3 per auction. I also start at a lower price than everyone else and I charge very low shipping. Also, ones that can be used for homeschooling or learning sell easier...say dinosaurs, bugs, solar system, etc.

The M&D toys are the smaller ones, like stacking blocks or chore chart. I start the bid lower than everyone else. I also check to see what is selling beforehand and what isn't. If you have an item that no one is selling, then you are probably more likely to sell your item since it is the only one available at that moment.

The description says everything. I keep mine short and simple. I try to keep in mind what I look for when looking to buy off ebay.
*smoke-free
*what kind of shape..cracks, writing, highlighting, missing pieces, etc.
*what age is it for
*is it worth the price it's at currently
*how much am I willing to pay for it
*can I go to a store near me and buy this same item for less or even a couple bucks more

I don't care if it was your great grandmas twice removed or if you are selling it for your moms estate sale. I don't want to know that it was a part of your most favorite collection and now you are selling it because you are moving to a different country. I don't want an entire chapter book on the origin of it. If I am interested in knowing more, then after the fact, and after it is mine, I will ask questions. I just want the basic facts...sweet and simple.

I INCLUDE insurance in ALL my auctions. I combine shipping.

I am not selling right now. My DS does not want to part with anything right now

#73 of 106 Old 03-30-2007, 07:17 PM

Quote:

puzzles and other 'educational items' can ship media mail... you have to go to thep ost office and go to counter and declare whats in the box.. but media mail sure saves $$ on postage
#74 of 106 Old 03-31-2007, 08:29 AM

I don't know if this particular brand was mentioned.. as I haven't the time to read through the whole post..

JACADI is a big closet filler in my house! My boys had the cutest outfits and I can't wait to hit the girlie dresses this spring!

here'e the link: http://www.jacadi.com

Good Luck in your new venture!

=)Kristina
#75 of 106 Old 03-31-2007, 02:27 PM

AvengingOphelia - I've done well with some dishes, but you've got to know what you're looking for since most aren't worth crap (just like clothes, actually! ). I've done well with Mikasa primarily, but hardly EVER find any here in NC... seems like I used to find a set every other month or so in CO... boo-hoo (where's my violin?) My best tool in that respect is to have a teeny notebook and pen with you in your purse. Just write down brands and lines of pieces you see and go home to see if they're worth anything. You can start compiling a list of items you've seen in your area that are worth selling

For preggo clothes - some people do really well with those... I am not one of them ... I do very well with nursing clothes those (the best brand, and most commonly found is Motherwear - not to be confused with Motherhood). For preggo clothes, the only ones I've found even semi-profitable are Gap or Old Navy. Pea in a Pod is VERY profitable, but the only PIAP's I've found are from the 80's and hideous!

Zenenlightened - yah, I looked at lots and saw they were doing all right, but still quite hit or miss. Guess I'll just stick with what I'm already doing and pick up a zillion-piece puzzle if I ever see one!

1growingsprout - yes, you *can* do that, but it's against post office policies. Media mail is not for puzzles or wooden toys, it is for books and movies. Can't even use it for magazines Save yourself the time of going to the post office and use paypal shipping, BTW Anyhow, if you're package should break open or something and it is discovered not to be media inside the media mail, then your BUYER will be charged the difference, which would suck.

#76 of 106 Old 04-02-2007, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

So my first batch of sales didn't do so hot. I ended up in the black, but not by enough to make it worth while. I'm def. going to have to incorporate some of the tips you all have shared and see if I can do a bit better the next time around. The first thing I think I'll do is break up a lot of the stuff I have left into lots, rather than trying to sell things separately. And no more trying to sell fall/winter clothes in the spring!

ETA: I did make one great purchase this weekend, though--an EUC Ergo carrier for $2.
#77 of 106 Old 04-02-2007, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avengingophelia View Post
I did make one great purchase this weekend, though--an EUC Ergo carrier for $2.

That ROCKS! I thought I'd found the best deal on one when I got one at a yardsale for $30!! Woo-hoo for you!!

I'm in Ebay Withdrawel right now. Our camera broke, so I ordered a new one (from ebay of course), but the seller is pretty much a whack job... I guess I don't buy very much there and need to be more savvy about researching the sellers! Anyhow, she at first tried to charge me extra to cover her PP fees ( a big no-no), so I convinced her to drop that, then she sent the camera, battery and charger. The charger came with a Euro wall plug! : Ohio to North Carolina, I didn't think I should have had to specifically ask if it would be a US plug! Anyhow, I then ordered an adapter, but the seller turns out to be scaiby.... if it doesn't arrive today, I'm filing an Item Not Received... So last night I bought a whole new charger, from a seller who actually seems pretty decent. So hopefully, I'll be up and running on ebay pretty soon! I'm jonesing!!

I have a bunch of stuff in TurboLister just waiting for photos!!

ugh.

Sorry for my vent. One of those weeks.

#78 of 106 Old 04-03-2007, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, branching out--how do people do with non clothes items? I'm seeing quite a few toys, but it's hard to tell what has value and what doesn't. Lots of Fisher Price Little People stuff. And bags. I've not had luck with handbags so far, as I got some that were fraudulent (and I know nothing about brands, so I had no idea).
#79 of 106 Old 04-03-2007, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avengingophelia View Post
Ok, branching out--how do people do with non clothes items? I'm seeing quite a few toys, but it's hard to tell what has value and what doesn't. Lots of Fisher Price Little People stuff. And bags. I've not had luck with handbags so far, as I got some that were fraudulent (and I know nothing about brands, so I had no idea).
I think you need to look at this as a business.. you need a 'business plan' find something you like, are knowledgable about and then sell those items.

personally im a gymboree fanatic and i have sources to find the line names. i also love little girl boutique items...those are mainly what i sell.

Ebay is hard to get started, but once you get going you tend to get a following and repeat buyers. also listing all of one size at a time is easier for the buyers. like list all little girls 2t-4t one day.. then list 5-8 and 8-14 that way people can make thier own lots... but if your items are sporatic its harder to search your listings.
#80 of 106 Old 04-03-2007, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

Good advice, thanks.

My plan right now is to sort of try to sell any and everything that looks possible for the first 4-6 weeks and see how I do, then "specialize" from there.
#81 of 106 Old 04-03-2007, 07:13 PM

Not clothing, but my dh made $23K PROFIT on ebay last year selling computer components- but they were new. That was in his spare time, he works about 50 hrs per week at his regular job. I think if you can find a niche, reselling can be very profitable, but I don't know if thrifting for profit can work out as well. It's easy to start with selling new stuff, though, if you can outlay a little bit of money to get your inventory started (we used a credit card, then paid it back at the end of the month after the stuff sold)

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

#82 of 106 Old 04-03-2007, 09:32 PM

What brand is this? Toddler/kids clothing with no name on the label, just a star or snowflake? (Can you tell, I do not go to the mall often!)

And my hints:

* wooden Little People
* wooden Thomas the Tank Engine$
* in the dishes department, look for vintage Fiesta ware ... sometime marked, sometimes unmarks, but it does show up.
* unopened or complete toys, if current, can be re-sold on Amazon.com
* used books on Amazon.com ... much easier than selling books on FleaBay.
* vintage glass Christmas ornaments in PINK, especially full boxes
* LEGO ... the "big kid size" but if you find it please PM me, cause I am a nut : an always need more!
#83 of 106 Old 04-04-2007, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

Does anybody have a source for finding line names for Lilly Pulitzer clothes?
#84 of 106 Old 04-04-2007, 05:46 PM

Ebay forums -

Childrens:
http://forums.ebay.com/db2/forum.jspa?forumID=4011

Adults:
http://forums.ebay.com/db2/forum.jspa?forumID=7

Though I've found Lilly Pulitzers to be fairly easy to find line names (if they have them) by just doing searches, since they are easily searchable (monkey, bee, etc.)

#85 of 106 Old 04-04-2007, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you!
#86 of 106 Old 04-04-2007, 06:28 PM

Wanted to add a bit to Sleepless's list -
Not just wooden little people, but any of those vintage small peg Little People, even teh plastic ones sell WELL. In my opinion, the people/animals sell better than the buildings (the barn, airport, etc.) There are exceptions, but they have to be the REALLY old buildings, not just the 80's ones, more like the 60s and 70s.
I bought a couple gallon ziplocks filled with those little people (most plastic, probably about a dozen wooden) from a church daycare closing, for $1/each, split them up in small lots (5-20 pieces per lot) and made a couple hundred! I especially liked this little guy with a cooking pot for a hat, just because I could label him the "pothead"

#87 of 106 Old 04-04-2007, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleeplessMommy View Post
What brand is this? Toddler/kids clothing with no name on the label, just a star or snowflake? (Can you tell, I do not go to the mall often!)
I think this might be Target, they had some winter stuff with just a snowflake on the label, if I remember correctly.
#88 of 106 Old 04-05-2007, 12:52 AM

root*children, thanks for all the great info!! . I'm just starting out thrifting for profit, and it's great to get so much advice. I was reading through all the brands of clothing....is H&M a good brand?

Also, I found an adorable New Potatoes dress and leggings set (like new!) today, and was wondering how to find the line name.

Some other brands I was wondering about:

baby Cheeky
Agabang

Is Koala Baby a Babies R Us brand?

I've mainly been selling here on the TP, but I'd like to start Ebaying as well. I did have one auction of my own clothing that no longer fits, and didn't get as much as I was hoping for. Can I look at your ebay auctions to see how you do it?

~Beth, mama to two amazing girls, ages 12 and 6~

#89 of 106 Old 04-05-2007, 02:53 AM

koala baby is babies r us brand....
i hit the jackpot today.... i found 6 sets by ZOODLES at our thrift today... they are very pricey boutique for $1.99 a set i was foaming at the mouth...
#90 of 106 Old 04-05-2007, 09:05 AM

1growingsprout! I love selling Zoodles, and they sell SO much better when you have the complete set! I personally think most of them are uuuuuugly, but to each his own

Fiestabeth - Thanks for the kind words ! I've never heard of Baby Cheeky, but I do know Agabang and H&M. Both of those brands have such NICE clothes, but unfortunatly do not do well on Ebay. I like buying them for my own kids, though You can do a Completed Search for Baby Cheeky and see how it does. Just do a search for it, then in the left-hand column there's an option to refine your search and select to look at "completed auctions".
You sure can check out my auctions - my user ID is the same over there. I don't have anything currently for sale, since we are having major camera issues currently. I have tons of stuff ready to go in Turbolister, just waiting for a part for our camera to arrive!
Here's my completed auctions:
http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...=3&completed=1

Looks like the list only goes back one month, and you can see that still it's a learning process. I consider Ebay worth my time if I'm making at least a $10 profit per item. But obviously, I still sometimes list things that I thought would do better Oh well, live and learn!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page