Thrifting for profit - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#91 of 106 Old 04-05-2007, 12:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I love this thread! Talk about people helping other people! Its great. I sell on ebay too, mostly womens jeans and toddler clothes. I list for $1.99 to start. If something sells for lower, you go in the black as far as paypal and ebay fees are concerned. I don't know how people sell stuff for 99 cents.

I live in Iowa and have literally never seen any of these name brand clothes mentioned. I don't really know of any boutiques around here! My baby wears gymboree, TCP, Gap, Old Navy, Levis, and Target clothes. The only new clothes she has were gifts, or items I bought on clearance out of season. The rest were thrift or garage sale, and of course used from ebay.

The closest GW is 45 minutes away, and there are 4 more within 1.5 hours. I love to thrift, so I make a day out of it (my toddler loves to shop and is always so good, even if we are in each store for an hour). But like I said, I have never found anything in GW that was boutique or the name brands mentioned!

Question, does anyone buy recycled plastic mailers to ship ebay items? I mean the kind you would get if you bought something from Old Navy online. Its like a grey plastic bag with a sticky strip. I can't seem to find these online to order some! Right now I use bubble envelopes (recycled from items sent to me), and 2 for $1 bubble envelopes from Dollar Tree. I used to use Wal-Mart brown bubble envelopes, but then thanks to MDC I finally convinced myself to stop shopping there!!!!!!

Thanks for all the tips, people, and sorry for the long thread!!!!!

treehugger.gifearth.gifribbonwhite.gif Anne (31), single WOHM to Karen (5)ribbonyellow.gifshamrocksmile.giffambedsingle1.gifjoy.gif
#92 of 106 Old 04-05-2007, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Good question re: mailers! I'm using the 2/$1 ones from Dollar Tree too, but I'm not crazy about that.
#93 of 106 Old 04-05-2007, 01:07 PM

I don't know about recycled mailers, but I use polymailers. They are very lightweight, plastic (waterproof ), have the sticky strip at the top. You can get them in several different sizes and for VERY cheap! I order them from (where else?) ebay... threerb has a store full of them! I also buy packing tape from him. I've ordered from him probably 5 times now, and every time the orders come WICKED fast! SEriously, like in 2 days! And he usually sends you a dollar off coupon code through email Most clothing sellers I know use his polymailers also. HTH!

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#94 of 106 Old 04-05-2007, 01:09 PM

oh, they're about 10 cents each... varies a bit if you buy them in bulk

http://stores.ebay.com/VALUEMAILERS_...Q3amesstQQtZkm

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#95 of 106 Old 04-05-2007, 05:41 PM

Thanks, root*children! That is exactly what I was looking for. I didn't know what they were called. I am going to order some from threerb. Whoa, he has a huge inventory. I don't know why I didn't think to look on ebaY, duh.

Yeah, avengingophelia, I am not too happy about buying the bubble mailers either! I wouldn't mind as much if I knew they would reuse them. I haven't been ordering as much stuff online, so I ran out of used ones.

I wouldn't mind using the priority mail envelopes that the PO provides, but I can usually ship baby clothes for less than 2$, as opposed to the $4.05 priority.

Sometimes I use plain brown envelopes, which are pretty cheap. I am not sure how well they hold up in the mail.

treehugger.gifearth.gifribbonwhite.gif Anne (31), single WOHM to Karen (5)ribbonyellow.gifshamrocksmile.giffambedsingle1.gifjoy.gif
#96 of 106 Old 04-05-2007, 08:54 PM

'Nother question, what size polymailers do you guys use? I was thinking either 12x15.5 (12 cents each at the 500 count) or 14.5x19 (19 cents each at the 500 count). Thanks!

I am so excited, I finally get to thrift on Monday. 5 stores in all! If all goes well, I will have listed all of my inventory by next week some time, and I always want more. I wrote down a list of all the name brands mentioned, so I can look more closely now! Fun!

#97 of 106 Old 04-05-2007, 10:43 PM

Lemme go measure mine for ya

Okay:
6" x 9" - I rarely use these, they're tiny... maybe 1 or 2 a month. Things like toddler 1 pieces (swimsuit, shirt, etc.)

9" x 12" - The most used polymailers for me in the Spring/Summer

10" x 13" - Used in all seasons, about 1/4-1/3 of the time

12" x 15-1/2" - Used the most during the Fall/Winter, or for "lots" in other seasons.

The season difference is in Fall I'm selling costumes and coats, etc., if that wasn't obvious!

#98 of 106 Old 04-07-2007, 11:10 AM

Thanks! This is great!

#99 of 106 Old 04-16-2007, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by root*children View Post
oh, they're about 10 cents each... varies a bit if you buy them in bulk

http://stores.ebay.com/VALUEMAILERS_...Q3amesstQQtZkm
oh wow this is the best deal!! Just ordered a few things w some extra pp. I will need these packing things in a few weeks when I list some stuff here and at ebay/.

Also- has anyone heard that you cannot sell used diapers now on ebay??

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#100 of 106 Old 04-16-2007, 05:19 PM

They've been against ebay policy for about 5 years - stuffed in the same category as used undies : But apparently there's a few ladies who went "report-happy" and reported everyone they found selling dipes and covers That really sucked. It looks like they've calmed down a bit and sales are starting to creep back up for CD's. Still better to try here first!

Also, if you do want to list CD's, make sure to put a reasonable BIN price on, in case it gets pulled, maybe someone can buy it first

There's big threads here (on the diapering board I believe), and a petition about it, but that was at least a month ago, and noone seems fired up about it anymore. Probably because those women stopped reporting so much.

On a different note - I FINALLY got all the parts needed to make our new (to us - from ebay) camera working (as much as I like selling there - I could really doing without buying most of the time!). So after a month with no selling (that's alot for me! ), I can finally get to it! woo-hoo! I have SO much stuff waiting to be listed, it's disgusting.

#101 of 106 Old 04-16-2007, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

I've got a ton of stuff that I need to list too...the shopping is a lot more fun (and less time consuming!) that the listing!
#102 of 106 Old 04-16-2007, 09:37 PM

Great thread!

I wanted to mention that I use Freecycle a ton (both giving and receiving) and I do not mind if my stuff is picked up by resellers. It extends the life of the item as far as I am concerned, and that is my goal in Freecycling. If it keeps it out of the landfill, so much the better.

I don't mind resellers who buy from charities, either. Frankly, I'd rather people buy up clothes and resell them here, because that provides cash to the charities and in the case of the larger ones (Goodwill, Salvation Army, some of the church ones) it gives them less clothes to ship off to Africa and consequently depress the local textile market. Here is more on that practice.

I think this practice is very ethically questionable. I haven't given anything to Salvation Army for years because I disagree with their policy on gays, but after I learned about the shipping to Africa, I stopped with Goodwill as well. All my used clothes go to our local women and children's shelter at this point, and I search out specialty charities for anything else. I like giving to people who will use the item directly, so as to better avoid sketchy practices like the African clothing bales.

I don't resell myself but definitely have no problem with it.
#103 of 106 Old 04-17-2007, 11:21 AM

I see your points and I agree to a point. OTH, freecycle- the ethics behind it and it says so, you are not supposed to use this to go and sell again.
As far as going to the good will store and buying things w the intention of selling for more money, is this money going back to the cause? Since the item was donated for the cause, it should IMHO, or a similar cause, not to line my pockets. KWIM?

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#104 of 106 Old 04-17-2007, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Hmm...

So by that rationale, as long as I give more to charitable causes than I make from reselling thrift stuff, it's OK?

I honestly don't get it. The profit from the sale of an item donated to GW has already gone to GW--when I bought the item! How is what I do with it from there of any concern?
#105 of 106 Old 04-17-2007, 01:36 PM

Again, the mission of GW is not to clothe poor people. Its to make money by selling stuff, to provide job assistance with that money.

#106 of 106 Old 06-07-2007, 02:29 PM

bumping because this thread was such a help to me!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page