Thrifting for profit - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 106 Old 03-22-2007, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do any of you/have any of you ever thrifted for profit? While I was digging through the bins at my Goodwill Blue Hanger last night, for the second time in two days, and finding things not for myself but for all manner of others, I was thinking that really, I should try to make money off this. The only way I can really think to do that is to thrift things and then sell them on Ebay, which I've done on occaison, but it's such a pain. The thrifting part is great, but the Ebaying part sucks and so far it hasn't really seemed worth the effort for the scanty profit. Any other ideas on how to profit off thrifting? Or how to make Ebaying more do-able?

ETA: I am guessing right now that if there is money to be made, it's in baby clothes. I can't believe the great baby and toddler clothes I found last night for $1.25 each. So if anybody wants to provide me with a list of hot baby clothes brands, that would be great. I picked up on a few (Janie and Jack is the biggest one), but I'm not really in the baby clothes know, so I might be passing over stuff I should be picking up.
#2 of 106 Old 03-22-2007, 01:41 PM

good babe clothes...with high resale value

naartjie
catimini
deux par deux
hanna andersson
sweet potatoes
new potatoes
zutano (doesn't hold up well though)
keedo
tea collection
baby lulu
munki munki (out of biz so hard to find)
peppertoes (boys)

that's all I can think of right now.

oh, and shoes!
elefanten
primigi
naturino
ecco
umi
#3 of 106 Old 03-22-2007, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, I'll print that out.

What about the next tier down (Carters, Gymboree, Baby Gap, The Children's Place)? Are those worth trying to resell?
#4 of 106 Old 03-22-2007, 01:51 PM

Wanted to add a few:

Cach Cach
Kissy Kissy
Mini Boden
Charlie Rocket
Blueberi Boulevard
Gymboree
Petit Bateau
Petit Patapon
Zackali
Le Top
Wonderboy
Ralph Lauren

I used to thrift for eBay a couple of years ago and am going to start up again one of these days. Just a word of advice about eBay, though -- the summer months are usually reaaaalllly slow for sellers.
#5 of 106 Old 03-22-2007, 02:43 PM

I don't know if it's regional only, but we have a brand here called "Chocolate Soup" that's wonderful at holding up it's quality!

Now: Mama of 2! Worker Bee happily married to my DH, motorcycle riding mama to H 8/99 and K 8/09.
#6 of 106 Old 03-22-2007, 03:02 PM

I've wondered about this, too. I'm forever finding new-looking pairs of expensive shoes not in my size, or gorgeous baby clothes I have no use for, or cool books/toys/games son has no interest in....

I'd love to know what's easy to thrift and resell (in addition to baby clothes - oh, and thanks for the lists, btw)!
#7 of 106 Old 03-22-2007, 03:18 PM

I've never sold anything on Ebay, but I've heard that if you set up an Ebay marketplace, it can be quite profitable. If you have access to high quality items, then I see no reason why you can't make something from it. I'm sure it takes some time, but if you're willing to put in the effort, I think it's great that you could make a profit from it. I know that I personally value only high-quality shoes (Elefanten, Primigi, Ricosta) and will willingly buy them from ebay auctions. Not so much clothes, though.
#8 of 106 Old 03-22-2007, 07:22 PM

i do ALOT of ebay... my success has been with GYMBOREE.. the catch is to know the exact name of the line and all the info..
also
polo/ralph lauren
stride rite
nike
any thing french
mulberribush
elefantan (Shoes)
#9 of 106 Old 03-22-2007, 11:50 PM

I really appreciate the "take what you need" philosophy of thrift stores and would personally feel uncomfortable purchasing items with the sole intention of turning a profit.

4 kids under 10
#10 of 106 Old 03-23-2007, 12:23 AM

Is that the philosophy of thrift stores?? I always thought it was, "Please, buy as much of this stuff as you can, because our storage area is filled to the freaking ceiling!!"

I don't think anyone running a thrift store is going to care if you sell something you got there for a profit. Some of them might be happy about it, even--if anything, they want people who can't afford a lot of new things get a good deal.

Mostly, though, I think they just want all that stuff out of there as soon as possible .
#11 of 106 Old 03-23-2007, 01:53 AM

I sell on eBay and get most of my stock from thrift stores. I don't do much clothing except for vintage dresses, but my $1 vintage dress can bring in $50+ on eBay.

It's a win, win for everyone.
#12 of 106 Old 03-23-2007, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanguine_speed View Post
I really appreciate the "take what you need" philosophy of thrift stores and would personally feel uncomfortable purchasing items with the sole intention of turning a profit.
Well, that's your perogative. But I don't buy it, personally. I mean, if your point is that the profit system is exploitative, I agree, but that's always the case, not just with thrift resale. And in the case of the stores I'm using, the store is literally the last stop pre-landfill, so it is hard to get worked up about depleting their (enormous) stock.
#13 of 106 Old 03-23-2007, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avengingophelia View Post
Well, that's your perogative. But I don't buy it, personally. I mean, if your point is that the profit system is exploitative, I agree, but that's always the case, not just with thrift resale. And in the case of the stores I'm using, the store is literally the last stop pre-landfill, so it is hard to get worked up about depleting their (enormous) stock.
Well, I suppose you're right; the store probably doesn't care. But, I see thrift stores as a way out of the everyday exploitative consumerism that is so prevalent. It's what I love about thrift stores.

4 kids under 10
#14 of 106 Old 03-23-2007, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

I don't disagree with that, and it's one of the reasons I thrift, too. But I still don't see anything wrong with reselling thrifted items. Basically, it amounts to being paid to do the work of scouring through the junk to find the good stuff. It's still environmentally sound (reuse) and still saves money over new items (and doesn't benefit the generally evil companies that make those items).
#15 of 106 Old 03-23-2007, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

So I've decided to do a trial and see if I can make this worthwhile. I picked up a bunch of baby and toddler clothes, about 75 pieces in all, all name brand and in EUC. For those who have done this before, or who buy their own kids stuff from Ebay, do you think it's best to try and sell each thing individually, or to make up lots? Any other advice? I've washed and dried everything already, so I plan to take pictures and write up listings this weekend.
#16 of 106 Old 03-23-2007, 03:37 PM
p.s

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanguine_speed View Post
I kind of agree with you. Although I can afford dept stores, I shop at thrift stores b/c I prefer to buy at bargain prices. But I consider thrift stores the one place that people who can't afford higher prices, to score something nice for a great price. So I limit what I buy to what I really need and will use, knowing that if it is a great buy and I don't buy it, someone who does need it will be able to buy it.
#17 of 106 Old 03-23-2007, 04:51 PM

Hey! I've been an Ebay seller of children's items (mostly clothes) for the last 4 years. I'm around 630 feedback right now, and profiting quite nicely. It takes a while to find things that really sell for you. I just skimmed by for the first year, hardly making a profit (if at all). Then I found out what really sells *well*, and now try to only sell that. I've also learned many tricks of the trade of being an ebay seller, but am still learning (I don't think it ends - there's always something new to learn there!).

I will have to put out a BIG word of caution and disagree with ANYONE who thinks selling baby clothes is profitable. Even those boutique brands mentioned sell for such a piddly profit in baby sizes. I don't sell ANYTHING under a 2T, with only a few exceptions... I'll sell most smocked items, Hanna or Zutano (I will usually only sell these if they are grouped together as a set/outfit or a couple similar outfits). Though it is hard to pass up a like-new Catimini baby outfit, if it only ends at around $10, what the point? There's just not enough profit there to cover my listing fees, paypal fees, as well as time spent cleaning, ironing, photographing, listing, dealing with questions, and preparing for shipping. Infant sizes are just SO easy to find, that 1) not many moms actually NEED these clothes and 2) the market is saturated with them.

Okay, that being said ... there's many more brands besides those that a PP listed that will do very well. I hate other people's lists . Mainly because what sells for one person might not for you. You just need to find what brands sell well for you. My best advice is at first to only buy things for resale that could also work for your children. So if you get it home and do an ebay search (make "completed auctions" be your new favorite search on ebay) and it doesn't sell well, then nothing lost, because your DC can wear it. Or if you notice alot of a certain brand and it looks like it might sell, go home and do a search on ebay and see if it's actually selling, before you invest your money. You'll get the hang of it and start to find what sells well for you fairly soon. Don't invest much money in things you are unsure about selling.

I don't sell mall brands (gymbo - with some exceptions, but hardly ever, gap, ON, TCP, etc). I only sell boutique.

My best ebayin' tips: buy a postal scale (sold on ebay ). This will allow you to give accurate postage rates, as well as ship from home. If you're selling children's clothing, offer a First Class postage rate (as opposed to Priority). Buyers ARE turned off by high shipping rates. Most children's clothing can be shipped for less than the $4.00 of priority. Take good pictures, and put them on the gallery. And finally, if you're serious about this, go visit the Children's Clothing Discussion boards on Ebay. They are heaped full of great info from many seasoned sellers.

I'm not bragging, but we do well enough with ebay and gpt's (ebay being the majority) that we vacation every other month just with those profits

Feel free to pm me any time with any ebayin' questions!

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#18 of 106 Old 03-23-2007, 04:55 PM

As far as the thrift store philosophy goes. There's NO shortage of children's clothing out there. I have not yet heard of a thrift store being out of a certain size and parents being unable to clothe their children. The thrift stores WANT you to buy the items! You are supporting a good cause, and they want you to shop there and buy as much as possible.

It's the basic method of our society. Buy something at a low price and resell it for a higher price. Every grocery store does this, every clothing shop, etc. I see no problem with it. The only problem is that if you tell the thrift you are reselling it, they will likely start raising prices!

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#19 of 106 Old 03-23-2007, 04:58 PM

3rd post in a row!
AvengingOphelia - to lot or not depends on what brands you got. Did you really get 75 pieces? Wow! Hope you do well on it

#20 of 106 Old 03-23-2007, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the advice! That's exactly the kind of thing I needed to hear.

I don't actually have kids, so buying stuff in my kids' sizes is out, but my friends are procreating like crazy, so nothing is going to go to waste. And I'm not out to make a big profit, either---not gonna quit my day job, just trying to see if I can cover my own thrifting costs by thrifting & selling.

The more I think about the attitude that thrifting for profit is wrong, the more it irritates me. Thrift stores aren't exactly suffering a deficit of items, at least not in my neck of the woods. Like I said, this stuff is eventually going landfill if nobody buys it--the bin stores I'm shopping at are the end of the line. I see absolutely nothing to feel guilty about.
#21 of 106 Old 03-23-2007, 05:12 PM

I think it would be different if AO were getting stuff off of, say, Freecyle and reselling it. That wouldn't feel okay to me. This does, for all the reasons pps have stated.
#22 of 106 Old 03-23-2007, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, yeah, I definitely wouldn't be OK with that either, Frog. Or with selling hand-me-downs or the like. But thrift stores, cheap or not, are commerce.
#23 of 106 Old 03-23-2007, 05:13 PM

i do thrift for profit - but idont do ebay. i look for antique/vintage items, then clean them up if they need it (just a quick wipe-down or wood conditioning) and put them in my antique/vintage/craft booth that I've rented at a local shop.
#24 of 106 Old 03-23-2007, 05:15 PM

Ophelia -
That's EXACTLY how I started ebaying! I have only boys, but kept seeing Hanna Andersson or Lilly Pulitzer, etc. beautiful girls dresses for only a couple dollars, and just couldn't keep passing them up. I bought them for friends for a while, just because I couldn't leave them sitting there. Then I realized there is money to be made, so now, aside the vacations, ebay is wholly funding my thrifting/yardsaling addiction

#25 of 106 Old 03-23-2007, 05:31 PM

My tip is to know the name of the "line". Do searches to try to figure it out. Take good pictures too, it makes a BIG difference. Root*children gave really excellent advice.
That being said, I haven't found infant clothes to be that profitable, but it has covered my own thrift habit. I have mostly focused on things I like--IE Carters.
After I sell my last batch of stuff (wherever, ebay or not) I'm done. It's a big hassle and I want to simplify my life. I'm sick of the clutter it creates for the meager profit. If I see something that I *know* will go for a good price then i'll do it, but I'm not planning on it anymore.

~laura
and planning to eat it again
#26 of 106 Old 03-23-2007, 08:07 PM

Check out http://resalequeen.com/ I listen to the podcast she and her husband do (http://croncast.com/) and she's been reselling for profit for years now.

Mom to (5) (9)
#27 of 106 Old 03-23-2007, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by root*children View Post
It's the basic method of our society. Buy something at a low price and resell it for a higher price.

I know .

4 kids under 10
#28 of 106 Old 03-25-2007, 06:59 PM

Our local thrift store spends over $10,000 PER YEAR for trash collection ... just throwing away things they can't sell. We are in a lower-income area, though, so we do not get the Lily Pulitzer and Olilly.

I was in a large thrift store in the Washington DC suburbs last week, and heard the employees arguing about "ragging out" (shipping in bales to 3rd world countries, where it destroys the local clothing manufacturing industry). The ragging out was scheduled for Thursday, but there was no room on the racks to put out the new clothing... so what to do? That store was packed with racks of clothing. But I was looking for adjustable waist 4T and 5T boys pants, and could not locate any. :

And about eBAY. Keep track of your fees. They add up fast, and a few non-selling items can really put you in the red. NWT can be sold on Amazon, with no listing fee. (Though the store cost is $0 per month)
#29 of 106 Old 03-25-2007, 07:28 PM

I have given up going to Goodwill recently because all of the good things seem to be snatched up by people looking for things to re-sell. Some of the same women are there day after day, buying up anything namebrand. So families who actually need the store to clothe their children are left with stained, ripped items.
Our particular store is never 'flooded' with merchandise, so they would be just fine without people doing this.
The store has actually picked up on this and have raised their prices and put anything 'nice' on a special 'boutique' rack so they can jack the prices up.
I understand people going to yard sales, etc. to pick up items to re-sell, but I think with something like Goodwill, some of the intention there is to help low-income families get by.
If a thrift store really needed help to get rid of their items and there didn't seem to be much demand, I could understand this thrifting for profit.
Where I live, though, it really seems to be hurting people. Just offering another side of it.

~e, wife to my sweet T partners.gif, mama to my turtleman (8) , sunshine (6 vbac.gif), and monkey (2)
#30 of 106 Old 03-25-2007, 08:34 PM
A&A

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Another hot kids' brand is Hanna Andersson.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page