Will somebody join me in "NO SPENDING" for April? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-04-2007, 04:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well my no spend month has been a bust so far. The stuff is completely necessary and if we weren't so frugal it would have gone on credit. I bought an SNS from the hospital LC yesterday. She quoted me $50 on the phone after an hour long phone consult. When I arrived to pick it up she said she was just going to ask what the hospital paid, $25.80. It was another $2 to park in their garage. Then I spent $50 on domperidone. I did sell a $70 sling to defray costs.

So after today I should be good to go. *Puts self back on the frugal wagon*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2007, 05:05 PM

Ok well as much as i like this wagon, im hightailing it out of here. We have some families in need and im going to be spending a bit of $ to help them out. I will try for next month! Excited to see how you all do

Loving mom to 2energy.gif ,1jammin.gif , & 1dog2.gif . Surrodaughter 4/09
Old 04-04-2007, 10:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Nothing unnecessary today.

---------------------------------------------------

April spending so far:

3/31- $149.42 Groceries for the week
4/1- $ 43.00 Date night with dh (free babysitter, used a $5 off coupon for dinner)
4/2- $ 1.07 Tomato needed for dinner
4/3- $ 24.00 Gas for van
4/3- $ 6.00 Art museum parking
4/3- $208.00 GEICO auto insurance payment
4/4- $ 25 Capital One payment
4/4- $ 40 Room Store payment (yes, we did buy expensive couches last year)
4/4- $ 15 Registration for a child care workshop

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
Old 04-04-2007, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aka mommy View Post
Ok well as much as i like this wagon, im hightailing it out of here. We have some families in need and im going to be spending a bit of $ to help them out. I will try for next month! Excited to see how you all do
How does charity not count as necessary? You're not buying beer and comic books.

Old 04-05-2007, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phathui5 View Post
How does charity not count as necessary? You're not buying beer and comic books.
Very true. I am going to be buying a whole lot of groceries in hopes of making a dozen or so meals. I think most months we end up spending money on things like this, sometimes it irratates dh but I just cannot resist helping out. I think if I cut it down, i'd probably save a lot more money.

Does spending tax return money on clothing for my dd's count? Its not income persay.

Now do you all account your gas into monthly bills? Or would extra driving around be a cost? I know I have to fill up my gas guzzler once a week, so going anywhere out of the norm is an extra tank of gas. CANNOT wait for a more fuel efficient vehicle:

Loving mom to 2energy.gif ,1jammin.gif , & 1dog2.gif . Surrodaughter 4/09
Old 04-06-2007, 12:33 AM

So how is everyone doing? AKA mommy, I would leave it up to you to decide what you define as necessary, regular monthly bills.

Ive done pretty good so far. Avoided all fast food. Oh, wait, darn that eBAY. I did order a swimsuit. Not totally frivolous as we go to the pool several times a week and Ive been wearing shorts and a tank top. BUT no one has complained about my not following the swimsuits only rule so I probably could've put off for a while.

::: re-tightening my belt :::

Ok, I pledge anew to not spend in April.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:59 AM - Thread Starter

I'm doing alright, but I didn't realize how easy it is to spend. I bought a diaper today, and I don't even need any. I guess I'll go sell a couple to make up for it. I've been doing lots of dream shopping...going to online stores and filling my cart with everything I'd like to get. Then I quickly get off the computer. You know, I think this online shopping is my biggest weakness.

I've been nesting like crazy, so I've been using my energy to reorganize things and make them feel like new. Its really nice to rearrange something in a way that makes it feel like a treat without spending a dime. I reorganized the laundry room (again) and the baby's changing table. Its fun to play with the baby things and it reminds me of how much we already have (and how we do not need more!). I reorganized dh's closet, and he was shocked by the amount of t-shirts he owns. I found so many pairs of shorts that he is finally agreeing that he does not need more.

Tomorrow...I start on dd2's closet. Its a disaster, but it shouldn't take long to make it nice. I printed up pictures of socks, shirts, PJ's, etc to label her bins and make it easier when she dresses herself. Dh is going to find the box of 3t dresses I saved from dd1 so I can wash everything and hang it for dd. Dd1 went through a stage when she only wanted to wear dresses, and dd2 will have no choice but to wear the same ones this summer
Old 04-06-2007, 01:10 AM

i spent 98.26 today on groceries and i realized after we got home that about $12 was styff we either don't need or don't normally use. that said, it was still about 30 less than usual so maybe being a little more conscious is helping. i also had to make a $15 payment on the co-op membership; it was due in march.

sarah
Old 04-06-2007, 09:53 AM

I cracked yesterday and took the kids to lunch at Chipotle after the playground. Macaroni and cheese was on the menu for lunch when we got home and I just didn't feel like waiting for it to cook. So that's $14.15 we could still have.

On the other hand, I've accomplished my goal so far of staying out of the grocery store. Other than the trip to Chipotle, we've eaten what's been on the menu that I made up Sunday and haven't gone to the store. I'm going to make up next week's menu this Saturday and go for it again.

---------------------------------------------------------

April spending so far:

4/1- $ 43.00 Date night with dh (free babysitter, used a $5 off coupon for dinner)
4/3- $ 24.00 Gas for van
4/5- $ 14.15 Lunch w/kids at Chipotle

Old 04-06-2007, 12:26 PM

April 6th- this is the longest we've ever gone without eating out! It's really strange to have to cook/ put together each and every meal.

Gas is right about near Empty. Going to get gas tomorrow (or today if we come up with some fun free thing to do. Dh and dd are both home from work/school today and normally we'd go hang out at the mall, since it's so cold today). Groceries tomorrow too. Going in with $75 cash and we'll save whatever we don't spend. We saved $14 last week! Woo hoo!

This is a lot harder than I thought it would be, but we're doing good!

(oh I've also been making some money on the get paid to sites).

Bethany, mama to M (9), J (7), S (4), and baby BOY 9/13/10!!
Old 04-06-2007, 12:50 PM

I am not doing so well. but I am still : for motivation.

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
Old 04-06-2007, 04:03 PM

Oh my. This morning was rough for me. I am so used to just heading to the mall when we get bored. Not to shop, but just to walk around and let the kids play in the play area, but we always get lunch too while we're there, so the mall is banned for now. The temptation of the food court would just be TOO much. It's really cold so we can't go to the park or for a walk. So, I made the kids some homemade playdough and they LOVE it!! Dh and I are going to plan a fantasy vacation, for just the 2 of us. LOL! Hey, it's something to do and it's free.

Bethany, mama to M (9), J (7), S (4), and baby BOY 9/13/10!!
Old 04-06-2007, 06:20 PM

I've been doing ok. My main bad was going to the book store to buy a book for book club. I cannot go to the book store without buying a ton of books. So I spent about $50. But doing good on eating out. Sticking to the menu plan, even baked my own bread for dinner tonight. Its hard though, shopping is definately my pick-me-up. Which is why its good for me.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:03 PM

mama3xs - book stores are pretty good about returns, as Im sure you know. Maybe keeping just the one you need for book club.... Just a thought.

I have to stay away from bookstores and more so, amazon, for sure. So many interesting things to read about...
Old 04-06-2007, 09:25 PM

Okay, I am joining this thread late, but I'm here. My biggest problem is dh! Okay, I'm only half serious, but he and I have got to figure some things out. I am tired of having to be the grown up ALL THE TIME and him having to be one NEVER. I think we spend the most money eating out. This month - NO EATING OUT! Period! I do have to mail a bunch of stuff tomorrow, but I don't think that'll cost much because I have most of the postage already. I am going to have to buy a can opener. My broken finger is giving me heck trying to use the non-electric one I have. I didn't think I was ever going to get the cans for dinner open tonight.

My goals for this year are to pay off our car and my remaining school loan! We could do it if we'd just get serious. So here's my commitment to get serious!
Old 04-06-2007, 09:35 PM

well i've spent some money on some things. :
$140 car window tinting
$12 (cash) lunch at mall
$6 Pump it Up- 2 hours of play time with moms group

thankfully next week is an easter egg hunt and bring your own lunch!
Old 04-07-2007, 12:57 AM
A&A

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowmoon View Post
I am not doing so well. but I am still : for motivation.
:

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
Old 04-07-2007, 11:40 AM

Spent $41 at Target yesterday on Easter stuff for the kids ($16) and household supplies.

Old 04-07-2007, 08:51 PM

Know how I said my biggest problem is dh? Well, we went to the kids' basketball games today (where I found out we have another expense - dd needs new tennis shoes - hers have a hole and no traction!) and he goes over and buys a bottle of water and there is a water fountain TWO - FRIGGIN - FEET - AWAY!!! We had a nice long talk on the way home though and he is on board (reluctantly) for being super frugal this month and coming up with a good budget and STICKING to it!
Old 04-08-2007, 11:02 AM

Free dinner last night. Went out with mil and she didn't let us pay for anything, even the tip.

-------------------------------------------

April spending so far:

4/3- $ 24.00 Gas for van
4/6- $ 41 at Target for Easter stuff ($16) and household supplies
4/7- $160 grocery shopping for the week (including stuff like toilet paper [bulk], trash bags[bulk], deodorant and razors for dh)
4/7- $ 40 Filled the gas tank at BJs for .10 a gal less than the regular gas station

Old 04-08-2007, 03:39 PM

Well, we had to spend $6.45 for fish medicine yesterday, but I consider that a necessity, so I don't feel too bad about it. I just realized that we still have a rental flute that we need to do something with! We bought a flute, so we don't really need two!
Old 04-08-2007, 03:58 PM

$15.95 for credit report for DH...got mine free (including FICO score on both).

FREE car show...$35 for dinner where the car show was hosted :

got a check in the mail for $120 for some mystery shopping that i totally forgot about!!
Old 04-09-2007, 01:32 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I fell off the wagon pretty hard this weekend. I got depressed thinking about wearing my ill-fitting maternity jeans to church today, so last night we all went to Old Navy to get me something to wear. I love what I got, but I certainly didn't need it. We also went to Target to get the girls new dress shoes and then dh went out alone later to get stuff for their Easter baskets. The good news is that $50 of that spending came from a check I got for my birthday. Also, I've never really used coupons for groceries, but I got a bunch a week ago and sat down and cut them all out (only stuff we would normally buy) before we went grocery shopping on Friday. We saved about $5, but we also spent at least $50 less than we normally would have. I really want to use up the stuff in our pantry! OH, while at Target I told dh we would go directly to the shoes and then get out quickly. No detours! That place is a trap for me and I usually end up spending way more than I ever planned to.

Oh ya, we went out for breakfast today : BUT, I am firmly on the wagon again. I have become much more aware of all the little things I used to spend money on, so that's gotta be an improvement...right?
Old 04-09-2007, 08:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Now that easter is over, I'm going to jump in! The only thing I HAVE to buy is an airmail stamp to send a letter to my grandma in Germany-oh, and food!
Old 04-09-2007, 03:26 PM

Managed to not spend anything yesterday (Sunday). Will need to make a trip to the grocery store this afternoon because I forgot the Morningstar "beef" for tacos tonight.

----------------------------------------------

April spending so far:

4/3- $ 24.00 Gas for van
4/6- $ 41 at Target for Easter stuff ($16) and household supplies
4/7- $160 grocery shopping for the week (including stuff like toilet paper [bulk], trash bags[bulk], deodorant and razors for dh)
4/7- $ 40 Filled the gas tank at BJs for .10 a gal less than the regular gas station

Old 04-09-2007, 03:55 PM

We made it through the weekend only spending $6.45 for fish medicine. I am so happy! We actually sat down and talked about a budget (after arguing, but oh well) last night. I figured out our bills for the next three months. I figured out what we spent on going out to eat last month and nearly fell over. I realized exactly how out of reality dh is when I asked him how much he thought we spent last month eating out and he said $1000. Um, no dear. The man has absolutely no concept of money!!! Yikes. I have to go to the store to get salad dressing and an onion today, but that won't be expensive.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:21 PM

I came down with tthe stomach flu so it was easy for me not to spend money the last couple days!
Grocery shopping tomorrow. Trying to keep it under 100. I should be able to as I have lots of leftover goodness from Easter.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:46 AM

As soon as dd's 5th birthday party is over, I'm in.

Areas where I can improve:
Coffee out (this one's gonna hurt, but I've done it before)
beer
stepping across the street to the Safeway to pick up "a few things" rather than using what's in the house.
lunch out (have been doing pretty good, but would like to cut it down to none)
Old 04-10-2007, 02:18 PM

I didn't go to the store yesterday - I had half an onion, so I used that and we used the salad dressing we had. We did put $41.97 gas in the van - filled it up - should last until next week.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I would like to join, but don't know if I can do 100%.

I need to buy some TP, digital camera cord replacement(to sell dh's guitars online) and some painting supplies (we are moving and have to fix up some paint inside). But other than that this next paycheck is ALL going to savings what isn't going for bills!

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

User Tag List