Will somebody join me in "NO SPENDING" for April? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-29-2007, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been looking at how much money dh and I spend on total crap and its making me sick. I want to spend the entire month of April without buying anything other than necessary groceries. This will be hard for me since we are expecting two large checks this month and I need (okay, want) some baby items. BUT, if I make myself wait to spend it I think I'll spend more wisely. So, anybody on board with me? I'm going to post here every time I fall off the wagon or need help staying on.

I took a full-time job to pay off some debt, and in two months of working we haven't paid off one thing. Its embarassing. I *have* to do this!

I must add: An ice cream birthday cake is completely necessary for this about-to-turn 30yo who is almost 34 weeks pregnant That will be my birthday present to myself I have a $3 coupon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2007, 05:01 PM

Does fresh veggies and fruit count? I would like to spend nothing in Aprl except on Groceries and house bills.
If thats ok, then count me in!
Old 03-29-2007, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

well that's what I'm thinking...groceries and normal bills. I'm not allowing myself to buy anything unnecessary (clothes, baby junk, toys, going out to eat). We'll find creative/free ways to entertain ourselves and eat our meals at home or pack lunches for work
Old 03-29-2007, 05:32 PM

But I'm really being militant about it. (For details, go to this thread.)

Our spending (and our clutter...is there a corrolation???) is out of control. I have to make some serious lifestyle changes; "desperate times" and all that.
Old 03-29-2007, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

oh cool! I also struggle with simplicity vs. overconsumerism. With cloth diapers I buy way more than I need for the baby, and then they make me feel stressed and I want to sell most of them. I go incycles and I'm sick of it. So maybe we'll get our groceries/gas on Saturday and see if we can last the month of April without buying anything at all. I'm feeling inspired already
Old 03-29-2007, 06:09 PM

I am definitly joining in on this. I really need to think more before I buy (my biggest problem is impulsiveness). I always end up buying more than what I need and things, I realize later, I don't need at all. I hate it. I have gotten alot better, but I still struggle.

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
Old 03-29-2007, 06:12 PM

Hmmm, well I guess I could join this, but it will be because we have no other choice (not because we're just seeing *if* we can do it). We went from relying on credit cards when $ ran out every month, and being very careless about it, to finally having that behavior bite us in the a$$. Pretty much overnight we are on a no spend budget. Yikes!!!! So, I'll be here for emotional support as I go through my careless spending withdrawls.

Bethany, mama to M (9), J (7), S (4), and baby BOY 9/13/10!!
Old 03-29-2007, 06:12 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I think I'll join in as well. My house is pretty well stocked with "stuff" right now, and anything I truly need (such as a new mixer) I'll want for Passover anyway.

Uh oh- I have a child's birthday (and party) this month- that's gonna be more than $0!

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Old 03-29-2007, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
Uh oh- I have a child's birthday (and party) this month- that's gonna be more than $0!
Uh oh, me too. On April 1st. I'm thinking that we'll regift something that my son got for his birthday last month.

Old 03-29-2007, 06:23 PM

here is a great site to check out
http://www.verdant.net/

Old 03-29-2007, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

birthjunkie: Dh and I did the same thing in the early years of our marriage. Then one day all the cards were maxed out and the minimum paymts came due and....: Who knew those overlimit fees could be so friggin' high?!? We cut them all, and it hurt. Then a few years later we got some more credit I swear when I pay them off this time we'll never do it again...I promise. Credit cards are evil.
Old 03-29-2007, 06:39 PM

OMG, yes, please. We were just starting to get comfortable with the new babysitter and me continuing to work. We decided we could afford to send DD1 to summer day camp P/T and paid the deposit, and WHAM! Both cars need tires and repairs; instead of the expected refund, we actually owe over $2K in taxes; my work computer died and I had to pay almost $1200 for a new one, plus may have to buy all my (expensive) software myself; and it turns out our b-day gift to MIL is going to cost more than we thought. Plus camp, which DD is so excited about. This may be the first month we carry a balance on our CC for the first time in years

So, uh, yeah,

Melissa, a homeschooling, caffix.gif-guzzling, SAHM of two: reading.gif (11) and joy.gif(8)
Old 03-29-2007, 07:02 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by birthjunkie27 View Post
Uh oh, me too. On April 1st. I'm thinking that we'll regift something that my son got for his birthday last month.
What if you buy the gift BEFORE April?

I bought DD a couple of early b-day gifts already, but I'll need to get stuff for the party itself.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Old 03-29-2007, 08:33 PM

I'm in. Our income has dropped by 40% so we have to do some serious belt tightning.

Shay

Mothering since 1992...its one of the many hats I wear.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:54 AM

Well I'm in.....in a round about sort of way. We are shopping for a new car and need to get off the cc life support. I just want to clear them and STAY away from them (maybe cut them...). I will have to buy groceries, gas, make the last payment on my car, $10 for CVS shopping, $12 for newspaper (re-upping our subscription) and Mom's Night Out (my only time to get away from kids). We MIGHT buy a car but I certainly don't consider that everyday spending!

So can I stay?

I am sure I will fall of the wagon a few times (especially for fast food when I am out) but maybe if I JUST stay in the house except for moms group on thursday I can really get some serious cleaning done (while saving money!!).
Old 03-30-2007, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhinderliter View Post
Well I'm in.....in a round about sort of way. We are shopping for a new car and need to get off the cc life support. I just want to clear them and STAY away from them (maybe cut them...). I will have to buy groceries, gas, make the last payment on my car, $10 for CVS shopping, $12 for newspaper (re-upping our subscription) and Mom's Night Out (my only time to get away from kids). We MIGHT buy a car but I certainly don't consider that everyday spending!

So can I stay?

I am sure I will fall of the wagon a few times (especially for fast food when I am out) but maybe if I JUST stay in the house except for moms group on thursday I can really get some serious cleaning done (while saving money!!).
Are you sure you're ready for a no spend challange?

Don't worry, if I weren't in the situation I'm in now (no other choice but to not spend), I'd have written the same post as you (especially the fast food part). But, IMO, not spending (other than bills, food- and by food I mean groceries) means not spending (so no fast food, no night out with the girls). Hey, I haven't had a night out without the kiddos since... last summer. LOL!

Old 03-30-2007, 12:55 PM

I'm half in! Ok mostly...

We are expecting our little one anytime in the next month or so. I think we may need just a couple items for him still - but not much; and I already baught my nursingwear and maternity items (that was a must belive it or not - unless I was to wear bare-belly shirts to work and no pants because they wouldn't even go on!) But I baught most of that with a gift card!!! and whenever poeople have asked me if I need baby stuff I have told them exactly what and how much - so maybe we will end up with everything!!!

I do need to do a big grocery trip so we are stocked up - I can do that tomorrow and then it won't be in April!!

BUT: other than those 2 areas there is NOTHING I should be buying!!! Kick me if I do!!! I really want to have as much money saved as possible sense this is our first baby and I'm not sure if there are expenses I am unaware of...
Old 03-30-2007, 02:34 PM

I have decided I am not only going to NOT spend any $ in April on anything unecessary, but I am going to make a little bit $ too. (selling stuff on TP,crafting stuff to sell on Etsy,writing some freelance articles,etc.) every little bit adds up, right?

I do need to get a new baby gift for a friend who's due in like 3 weeks, but maybe I will make something..hmm. need to go search for ideas now!

Old 03-30-2007, 02:54 PM

I am IN! We have GOT to stop spending our "disposable" income on crap! My DH runs our grocery bill up to $800 to $1200 a month by going out every other day and "picking up a few things." WTF???

And then he cannot RESIST a new puzzle for DD or a trip to Home Depot or whatever. He is so bad, because he has never had to live on a budget before. We've been okay, but the time is NOW to stop the hemorrhage of money! We have no cc debt, have paid off our cars, and I'm about to pay off my last student loan. I really really really want to pay off the 2nd on the house and then work on the original mortgage. That won't happen if we don't have a MAJOR shift in thinking/spending/consuming.

So, if anyone has any advice about how I can reign in DH, let me know! The big problem is that I"m home with our infant DD and it does help to let him do the shopping. But it's so out of control now that I think I'm going to have to take his debit card away INSIST that he not go into ANY stores. Sheesh.

So, I'm in! (Did I mention that? lol)
Old 03-30-2007, 04:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm in. Groceries and normal bills only. I really want to draw up a realistic budget for us but to do that I need to know how much we actually need to be spending.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
Old 03-30-2007, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelissaPatrice View Post
So, if anyone has any advice about how I can reign in DH, let me know! The big problem is that I"m home with our infant DD and it does help to let him do the shopping. But it's so out of control now that I think I'm going to have to take his debit card away INSIST that he not go into ANY stores. Sheesh.
A book that really changed my perspective on money and spending money here and there and what a big affect it has, without even seeming like it at the time, is Automatic Millionaire. The title is deceptive, since the book is not about automatically becoming a millionaire (like a get rich quick thing). Maybe if you and your dh read it together (my dh is not a reader, so I read him the most important points in the book) he'll see how wasteful his spending is, and that by saving it you can really create a comfortable retirement for yourelves.
http://www.amazon.com/Automatic-Mill.../dp/0767914104

Old 03-30-2007, 04:24 PM

I'm in - my dad's VA pension just got cut from $1054 to $5.00 - so we can't spend ANYTHING extra.
Old 03-30-2007, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelissaPatrice View Post

So, I'm in! (Did I mention that? lol)

With dh I did take away all of his debit cards and checkbook. We agreed on a reasonable amount for him to spend every month (on "stuff" for him) and I gave him the cash every payday. He had no idea he was spending so much until he saw the money really running through his fingers. Debit cards make it so easy to not pay attention. We grocery shop together once a payday, and only after we've eaten a big breakfast or lunch. Never shop hungry, and insist that nobody goes back to the grocery store before the next payday (or whatever works for your family).
Old 03-30-2007, 06:01 PM

I'm in! Basically, I need to be. We NEED to pay down some credit cards and other bills. We had a rough month in March (esp since we had a lot of company and people staying with us!) and need to make up for it in March. I will also be saving a lot of $$ on gas bc my best friend who lives about 1 hr away is moving across country and there will be no more driving all that way.

I'm gonna need HELP HELP HELP for this one!
Old 03-30-2007, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birthjunkie27 View Post
Are you sure you're ready for a no spend challange?

Don't worry, if I weren't in the situation I'm in now (no other choice but to not spend), I'd have written the same post as you (especially the fast food part). But, IMO, not spending (other than bills, food- and by food I mean groceries) means not spending (so no fast food, no night out with the girls). Hey, I haven't had a night out without the kiddos since... last summer. LOL!
well the $10 for CVS is for couponing and free stuff (i play the ECB game) and thats household items, the $12 is for the newspaper so that I can get coupons to SAVE money (thats a 12 week subscription) and the moms night out is a special thing for me. i used to never ever do anything special for myself and it was all family and kids and house and chores and WORK and i consider that a nessecitaty or this family might not have a mom anymore. the fast food thing i am going TO TRY and cut but i have only eaten out 3 times this month so it won't be to hard.

i am also going to try and make some money or at least do decluttering in turbo mode this month. since i want to save money that means i can't lurk on my couponing and good deals board, don't need to go to malls, shopping or "outings" so i will have plenty of time to clean clean clean (and hopefully sell a few things).

Oh another iffy thing. We might or might not go on vacation so IF i fly i have to buy plane tickets in advance to save money. its our only vacation (to my moms house) every year. if we drive though it will be in May.... so that doesn't count.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:10 PM

I'm in...I got my hours cut so i seriously doubt i'll have any extra cash. I'm doing my last few purchases tomorrow and then no more money spent except bills until May..and hopefully beyond.

Jami (25) Roland (27) & Caleb (5), Jacob (3.5) , Kaitlyn (2)
Old 03-30-2007, 11:39 PM

I'm in. My goals are:
*Only spend money on bills and food.
*1 tank of gas for me and 2 for dh. No more. If he runs out before the end of the month he can take my car.
*Make at least $150 by selling stuff we no longer need.
*No eating out. We only eat out 3 times a month but I'm going to freeze a few meals to curb temptation.

ETA: I am buying some Chico bags from the co-op here. I am committed to not using plastic bags. Seeing as it's an environmental thing I'll still plan on buying them.
I've been spending like crazy for the past month. I need to stop before it becomes habitual again.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:49 PM

ok awesome thread! my dh was just talking about doing this, and i was hesitant on my own behalf...why?? i am going to explore this. and try not to buy crap! i will be here for the inspiration! thanks!~
Old 03-31-2007, 01:21 AM

Oh I want to join! We are moving into a new (rental) house this weekend and we need to be very careful!

Rent, bills, groceries & gas only. We do spend alot on gas because DH has long drives to job sites (he does get paid $.40/mile though) and the car I'm driving right now costs $50 to fill (we're selling it this month though hopefully!). We CD both kids, and we have plenty of diapers (I just made about 15 prefold diapers out of flannel I've had laying around, and sold a bunch of fitteds that we paid a bunch for and never liked!).

I'm excited!

CPST & mom

Old 03-31-2007, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i'm going to try to use my frozen fruits & veggies up first also before getting any more at the store. i'm also going to restart my price book; i lost the previous one i started.

sarah

User Tag List