Scratch & dent stores - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 04-02-2007, 02:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How do you find them?
I've googled and searched everywhere, and I can't find anything.

Lauren
Mama to one awesome little girl and her adorable baby brother.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 04-02-2007, 10:22 AM

well, i don't know where you live, but i live in pa with a huge amish population. it is mostly word-of-mouth around here, as many of them don't have electricity, phones, etc. i did a google search for 'amish store in ___'. i know they aren't all amish, but maybe you will have better luck. maybe if you say the state you live in someone who lives there too can help you.
#3 of 9 Old 04-02-2007, 12:53 PM

The only one I know about is the Sears scratch & dents.. but it is called "Sears Appliance Outlet", so you may want to use the keyword "outlet" (and maybe "returns"?)
If you go to sears.com and look for 'sears outlet', there is a store locator. I have purchased a refrigerator, range and dishwasher there. It was not like we got the stuff for free, but we did get a very big savings off what it would have been, allowing us to get a nicer fridge & quieter dishwasher. The dents were all in places that were hidden when the appliances were installed in place.
Good luck!

Mama to two sweet girls!

#4 of 9 Old 04-02-2007, 01:17 PM

Definitely try googling "grocery outlet."
#5 of 9 Old 04-03-2007, 06:12 PM

Around here it's called a salvage store and is listed that way in a phone book.

KerryAnn @ CookingTF dot com - Nutrient dense foods your kids will LOVE!  Real Food Cooking School and Lactofermentation Classes now live! Use coupon code "CTF" for 20% off.

#6 of 9 Old 04-03-2007, 08:33 PM

I think some areas just don't have them. I'm in Houston, TX and I can't find one to save my life! The best I can find are day-old bread stores, and those only have somewhat good deals. Oh, well. At least I have some really great thrift stores in my area!
#7 of 9 Old 04-04-2007, 09:07 AM

It's word of mouth as far as I know! I think they are uncommon. I had only read about them in the TWG, until we moved to NC, where here we have 2. Just had to ask around. You could post in the Finding Your Tribe area to see if anyone knows of *any* in Texas, then even if it's not really close to you, you'd at least know about it, and could keep it in mind when you are travelling

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#8 of 9 Old 04-04-2007, 09:52 AM

for appliances, try home depot or lowe's. we've gotten some good deals on a nice scratch n dent washer and dryer. its really hit or miss, so you'd have to call or stop in once or twice a week. you do have to jump on the appliances when you see them. there was a dryer we saw one day and called about the next. it had been sold the night before.
#9 of 9 Old 04-04-2007, 11:11 AM

our sears scratch and dent place is called "Sears Service Center" it is in an outlet mall (or at least it was originally supposed to be an outlet mall).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page