Teasing - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 40 Old 04-05-2007, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I realized I cross a line last weekend in my frugal journey I'll call it when I had some friends and family over for a game night / bday party and I was teased first for having a bag of batteries labeled 'half used batteries', and another time for bringing out the saved already burnt once birthday candles to put on the birthday cake. (In my defense, they are the thick kind, not the ones that are like 1 mm and burn halfway down by the time you blow the candles out or anything!

Okay, I want some company here - what frugal acts have you been teased for?

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
#2 of 40 Old 04-05-2007, 12:38 PM

My IL's used to give me all kinds of grief for hanging out the laundry. If it wasn't one thing, it was something else, and they would criticize that to no end: it's WT, it's cheap, it's dirty, it's tacky, it's wrinkly, it's not clean, blah blah blah. As a long shot, MIL even dared to criticize HOW I hung it up -- "Shouldn't everything be in order?" -- but I finally shut them all up by showing them by $7 gas bill (we have a gas dryer) from the summer months.

Mightymoo, you may want to look into rechargable batteries. We've switched to those and they ARE more expensive up front, but I think they'll save us in the long haul.
#3 of 40 Old 04-05-2007, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by msjd123 View Post
Mightymoo, you may want to look into rechargable batteries. We've switched to those and they ARE more expensive up front, but I think they'll save us in the long haul.
Well, in this case what happened was I was putting some toys away for hand-me-downs to my brother, and I took the batteries out since they can corrode and destroy the toy, and I didn't want to forget they were half-used lest I grab them for something important.

We actually have rechargeable batteries and all the equipment, I could never make the system work - the batteries never seemed to hold charge very long, even brand new - I would charge all the batteries up so they would be ready when I wanted one, then it wouldn't work when I needed it. And it would take way too long to charge when we needed them. Maybe I went too frugal and got too cheap batteries, but we just could never make the system we had work!

#4 of 40 Old 04-05-2007, 12:47 PM

More than teasing, I get grief from my family because I keep the thermostat down during the winter.

I've been teased for my emergency preparedness stockpiling.

We've done well for ourselves financially, but I shop at Goodwill (and donate liberally), which my sisters cannot understand and tease me incessantly for that. They tease me that I drove a 15 year old car... but the one sister didn't mind when I gave that car to her son.

I'm sure there are more but those come to mind.
#5 of 40 Old 04-05-2007, 12:51 PM

hah my brother-in-law once said "you know they changed the law and now it's legal to throw used bags away"

It was just a joke and pretty funny cause we do save too many bags and at the time I was trying to make room for more bags to save.
#6 of 40 Old 04-05-2007, 01:18 PM

I am also teased by my inlaws about buying in bulk (I was going to say just food in bulk, but then remembered a time with SIL teased me about buying computer paper in bulk : ).
Teased about hang-drying clothes, by my brother and his wife, who pretty much consider us white trash since we have a clothes line

Sheesh, at the same time i want to sort of hit them over the head, because in the same breath as making fun of me, they are also commenting how in awe they are of how much money we save (have in savings). :

About the batteries - we have a few rechargeables, but with the littles running everywhere (we also have a daycare in the house), I'm afraid my $10 batteries would get lost! We use mostly the regular ones. But we do own a $5 battery tester (from ebay) so I can just test each battery to see how it's doing on life

So, it's mostly just family who teases us, fortunately, not friends (not doubting they make fun of me behind my back )

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#7 of 40 Old 04-05-2007, 01:20 PM

Oh, and I've never heard of being teased for the birthday candles... how dumb! Just goes to show what a disposable society we live in

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#8 of 40 Old 04-05-2007, 01:50 PM

Dave Ramsey always asked people who call into his show to yell "I'm debt free!" if people teased them and they almost always say yes. So you're not alone!

I don't actually get teased, but I don't have a ton of friends and I probably wouldn't stay friends very long with someone who teased me for trying to get out of debt and save for my future.

Then again, I don't do anything crazy frugal, like knit sweaters out of dryer lint or split my two-ply toilet paper into one-ply, and I am often surprised at the reaction I get when I share a frugal tip (like borrowing videos from the library) that people think I'm cool! Part of that might be my attitude. I don't think there's anything wrong with what I do (not saying that you do! : ) and I don't go on about the money I save by saving baggies, so when I do mention something, it's usually very casual, like "Oh, yeah and I was able to watch the whole series of Six Feet Under." "Wait, I thought you didn't have cable" "Oh, I don't, but I borrowed them from the library" "Whoa!! You can DO that! That's cool! I should do that!"

BTW, we rarely have people over (we live in a big city in the suburbs and most of my friends don't live near us), and maybe if we did then they would start thinking we are weird. Of course, our neighbors got a clothesline after we put ours up, so I was laughing about how they were trying to keep up with the Jones', except that we don't buy much!
#9 of 40 Old 04-05-2007, 01:51 PM

my family teases us mercilessly about 'sweater pants' (longies). i don't know why it bugs them so, but they can't get over it. i was so thrilled when my brother and his wife (who btw is also an mdc mama ) put sweater pants on their boy.

Mama to Jet 6/05, Marvel 8/06 and Cash and Fox 2/09
Expecting Ada Marianne 11/14
#10 of 40 Old 04-05-2007, 01:57 PM

I've only gotten it from a single friend who still lived at home... then she got married, moved out, had a baby and doesn't tease me any more about my cold house, cloth diapers, or hand me down clothes!
#11 of 40 Old 04-05-2007, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Let me just say that it was all good natured teasing. I would be pretty put off by people giving me serious crap.

#12 of 40 Old 04-05-2007, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymoo View Post
We actually have rechargeable batteries and all the equipment, I could never make the system work - the batteries never seemed to hold charge very long, even brand new - I would charge all the batteries up so they would be ready when I wanted one, then it wouldn't work when I needed it. And it would take way too long to charge when we needed them. Maybe I went too frugal and got too cheap batteries, but we just could never make the system we had work!
You can't charge the batteries "Just in case" they don't work like that. Most grown up toys have low battery indicators, and things that don't usually alert you with a reduction in performance. If I have a rare "battery emergancy" I go to get some at the $Tree.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#13 of 40 Old 04-05-2007, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My family knows I shop at Goodwill and that I reuse/recycle. People at work do know I'm frugal but I don't think they know just how much. No one has said anything mean to me about my thrifty habits. I keep the really odd (or what would see odd to mainstreamers) to just close family members who share a passion for saving money and helping the environment.

Normal is just a setting on your dryer.
#14 of 40 Old 04-05-2007, 02:50 PM

I've been teased about making DH's lunches every day. He's been teased about bringing his lunch every day (all his colleagues go out to eat every day and then wonder why they're always broke).

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#15 of 40 Old 04-05-2007, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by root*children View Post
Oh, and I've never heard of being teased for the birthday candles... how dumb! Just goes to show what a disposable society we live in
Me neither! We always reuse candles!

My sister used to make fun of me about the plastic bags -- she used to say that washing and reusing bags was the reason DH and I could afford to buy a house at age 23! (Yikes, that was almost 10 years ago!!!) Anyway, she has since seen the light

We get the cold house teasing and folks poke fun for cloth diapers. (Ah, yes, wait until they see the family cloth system I am thinking about ) Our washable swiffer covers have been laughed at as well.

We also get teased for recycling EVERYTHING. The big joke when family/friends visit, "What do I do with this?" Meaning can they put it in the trash or recycle or wash it or...?

Mostly we get made fun of because we do things differently -- although most people have open minds about it (at least they pretend to while they are here!!)
#16 of 40 Old 04-05-2007, 04:38 PM

Nobody has said anything mean but my cold apartment and plethora of sweaters and blankets is a running joke in my family. Like "oh, dinner's at *your* house? I better go get a warmer jacket and my ear muffs!!!" I fully participate in this joke. Other things people have mentioned at one time or another in the past are cloth diapers, reusing the bags that store bought tortillas come in for random stuff (including homemade tortillas), coupon clipping/combining sales (when we ate less organic food and it was really a money saver) and walking to the grocery store even if the car is around.

Katie, mama to one big boy (6/03) and one little boy (12/08).
It is never the wrong time to do the right thing.
#17 of 40 Old 04-05-2007, 05:11 PM

Well this isn't about me but I can remember staying over with my grandparents and my grandfather hanging up the paper towel he had used to wipe something down so he could reuse it later after it dried. I haven't gotten to that point yet!

Lisa, mama to A (3/05) and R (11/07) and L (8/10)
#18 of 40 Old 04-05-2007, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kijip View Post
Nobody has said anything mean but my cold apartment and plethora of sweaters and blankets is a running joke in my family. Like "oh, dinner's at *your* house? I better go get a warmer jacket and my ear muffs!!!" I fully participate in this joke. Other things people have mentioned at one time or another in the past are cloth diapers, reusing the bags that store bought tortillas come in for random stuff (including homemade tortillas), coupon clipping/combining sales (when we ate less organic food and it was really a money saver) and walking to the grocery store even if the car is around.

Really walking to the store? I wish I could walk to the grocery store-its just a little far for us.

Lisa, mama to A (3/05) and R (11/07) and L (8/10)
#19 of 40 Old 04-05-2007, 05:31 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I don't get teased much from friends. In fact, I have noticed some of my more spendthrift friends picking up some money saving habits of their own.

My FIL does give me a lot of crap about our car. We drive a 2000 Honda Civic and in his mind, it is a teeny, little death trap. We are a family of four and while it is small, it fits us just fine and gets great gas mileage.

He thinks we need a minivan or SUV and should just finance one. Hah! Never, never will I finance a car again. Worst financial decision of my life.

So, we just putter happily along in the paid-for civic.

Oh, and we always reuse birthday candles -- that's where birthday wishes are born. You can't just throw them away.

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#20 of 40 Old 04-05-2007, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Teased about hang-drying clothes, by my brother and his wife, who pretty much consider us white trash since we have a clothes line

)
Why is this one so touchy for people? Our HOA actually says we can not do this, but we still do. None of the people in our HOA care, and most have asked me questions about how, how much do we save, and commented about how great everything smells off the line.
#21 of 40 Old 04-05-2007, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boobybunny View Post
Why is this one so touchy for people? Our HOA actually says we can not do this, but we still do. None of the people in our HOA care, and most have asked me questions about how, how much do we save, and commented about how great everything smells off the line.
Oh yes, my in-laws remind us on almost every visit that their HOA prohibits clotheslines and sheds...... MIL insists that the clothes don't have the right texture unless you blast them through a dryer with Bounce :
#22 of 40 Old 04-05-2007, 07:21 PM

Quote:
They'd be frightened of me. I have some candles my mom gave me that I remember from 20-some years ago. She kept all the candles and such that could still be lit (i.e. not teeny tiny stubs), along with the little holders and other decorations and such. I never have to go and buy anything like that for a party - for crying out loud, we still have the giant box of Costco forks we bought for my wedding. That was 5 years ago. We think we'll finish off that box for our 20th wedding anniversary.

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
#23 of 40 Old 04-05-2007, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalulu View Post
Really walking to the store? I wish I could walk to the grocery store-its just a little far for us.
Where we used to live, until last year, the store was just under a mile, uphill coming back home. No one could believe that we did not mind carrying the groceries back from the store. Usually I would use the stroller to help carry the groceries and my husband would carry our son. Now, we live much further from the store we shop at and it would be dangerous to walk anyways (unlit, no sidwalks, 45MPH road) but we will be moving soon to a place within a mile of a co-op so we will start walking again. Also, once we move we will be within 3 miles of work/school so we will trade our car communte for walk with a jogging stroller.

#24 of 40 Old 04-05-2007, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boobybunny View Post
We are actually prohibited by law from hanging and using a clothesline outdoors. Yes, suburbia. How blissful : . We are moving soon.

4 kids under 10
#25 of 40 Old 04-05-2007, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanguine_speed View Post
We are actually prohibited by law from hanging and using a clothesline outdoors. Yes, suburbia. How blissful : . We are moving soon.
So it is basically illegal to be unable to buy a dryer? : That is just crazy. I suppose people can hang things inside but it is no secret things dry faster outside. I don't understand why anyone would want to put such a law on the books. Glad you are moving!

#26 of 40 Old 04-05-2007, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kijip View Post
So it is basically illegal to be unable to buy a dryer? : That is just crazy. I suppose people can hang things inside but it is no secret things dry faster outside. I don't understand why anyone would want to put such a law on the books. Glad you are moving!

It doesn't look nice. Everything must look nice in suburbia, didn't you know?
We actually do hang a line in our basement, but like you said it takes longer. And, you don't get the benefit of sunning whites, nor the fresh air in the hanging clothes.

4 kids under 10
#27 of 40 Old 04-05-2007, 10:56 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Heaven forbid someone should have to look at cloth DIAPERS hanging in our yard!!
#28 of 40 Old 04-05-2007, 11:21 PM

I know! I just *love* seeing clothes, esp. cloth diapers line-drying. There's someone living near us, that I walk the dogs by their house, who hang dries their FuzziBunz, and it just looks so cute and picturesque. I'm probably nuts for thinking that, but it's the truth (the cute part, hopefully not the nuts part) !

#29 of 40 Old 04-06-2007, 12:20 AM

About a month ago I put the fuzzis out on the line for the first time this season. My neighbo went and got her camera. She ended up shooting them in black and white for a photog class. They turned out really cute, and I now need to go get a a 11X14 frame for one of them.

They are the navy ones. the day was supper sunny and clear, and there was a flowering tree in the back ground, lots of contrast and shadow.
#30 of 40 Old 04-06-2007, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthasam View Post

We also get teased for recycling EVERYTHING. The big joke when family/friends visit, "What do I do with this?" Meaning can they put it in the trash or recycle or wash it or...?

We get this too! What they don't know, of course, is that after they leave, I pick through the garbage can and pull out all the recyclable aluminum cans and put them in the recycling bin.

And count me in as another one who had no idea that not everyone in the world saved birthday candles! I mean, duh -- you only burn them for like 30 seconds, why not save them for next time?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page